NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 15th October 2011, 20:51     #1
drac0s

Dark Souls

Anyone else playing? basically direct successor to Demon Souls. Seems a bigger world, a bit more open, little more polish, but pretty much more of the same.

Enjoying it, with the odd rage when either myself or the game does something spastic. Camera angles and falls to death would be main culprits.

Think its on xbox as well now, where demon souls was ps3 exclusive.
Old 16th October 2011, 17:20     #2
SID|DensitY

in Blighttown atm.. the framerate issues are driving me up the wall. seriously up the wall.

8fps + timing attacks on 3 mobs is not cool.
Old 16th October 2011, 19:48     #3
Nahaz

Which version gives the better framerates?
Old 16th October 2011, 20:00     #4
SID|DensitY

both (360/ps3) give same framerate. including the 8fps drops in blighttown.
Old 17th October 2011, 23:23     #5
drac0s

I didnt really get super slow framerates in blighttown at all, maybe seemed lower but not painfull like other people are talking about. 8fps pretty sure i'd notice, maybe im just old

I have the limited edition of game but doubt it makes any difference. ps3 slim.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:58     #6
SID|DensitY

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac0s
I didnt really get super slow framerates in blighttown at all, maybe seemed lower but not painfull like other people are talking about. 8fps pretty sure i'd notice, maybe im just old

I have the limited edition of game but doubt it makes any difference. ps3 slim.
ps3 slim, limited edition here as well.

yeah basically the first bonfire in blighttown, if you look over towards where all the wooden scaffolding is and look down slightly you get a huge frame hit. it sort of continues throughout the entire area when you're descending down towards the swampy bottom. Around the bottom the frame-rate is a bit higher (15-20) but you get the odd hitch.

It isn't a consistent frame hit, and really depends where you're looking and how many monsters are active. but its deeply annoying when you rely heavily on parry attacks to make short work of monsters.

Also where is a good place to go after blighttown (haven't finished, died due to frame lag and haven't played in 2 days lmao), thinking of hitting up the graveyard.. I have myself a divine mace + 1 for the area.
Old 18th October 2011, 10:23     #7
blur^

some dude finished it in under 90 mins

http://kotaku.com/5850392/hardcore-d...utes/gallery/1
Old 18th October 2011, 10:44     #8
SID|DensitY

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
some dude finished it in under 90 mins

http://kotaku.com/5850392/hardcore-d...utes/gallery/1
oo I'll have to watch that tonight.. There was a demon's souls run that was I think 45 or 50 minutes long. But in that the player was abusing the fact that magic scaled insanely (wish I knew that) and quickly got strong enough to kill some of the bosses in a matter of seconds (and skip a few bosses via glitching).
Old 18th October 2011, 13:59     #9
drac0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID|DensitY
Also where is a good place to go after blighttown (haven't finished, died due to frame lag and haven't played in 2 days lmao), thinking of hitting up the graveyard.. I have myself a divine mace + 1 for the area.
Catacombs is relatively easy, boss at the end is probably easiest in the game and you get the bonus of +5 flasks for kindled bonfires.

Valley of Giants after is meant to be one of the worst levels and need to make sure have a light source (spell/lantern/helm). I've skipped that for now after killing pinwheel.
Old 18th October 2011, 16:13     #10
SID|DensitY

Quote:
Catacombs is relatively easy, boss at the end is probably easiest in the game and you get the bonus of +5 flasks for kindled bonfires.

Valley of Giants after is meant to be one of the worst levels and need to make sure have a light source (spell/lantern/helm). I've skipped that for now after killing pinwheel.
Easier than Gaping Dragon... oh dear god :S
Old 18th October 2011, 17:30     #11
drac0s

Yeah easier than all I think, apparently just a mini boss and actually have to fight multiple versions of him later on as a generic trash mob. Killed him in like 2-3 hits. Good reward though so worth doing ASAP because the extra 5 flasks will help in other areas.

I think potentially it might be hard if you are super cautious with him, because he spawns images of himself, so if keep waiting maybe 5+ images and lots of damage going around and not sure what to hit.
Old 20th October 2011, 13:55     #12
[Malks] Pixie

Rented it out (to give it a try) - fantastic!

Very old school feel with the "save" mechanism and replaying through levels (though I understand how some could get frustrated). Only played it a couple of hours now but really enjoying it. Trying to work out how to get past the fucking dragon on the bridge - must have been fried half a dozen times now :-/

Pixie
Old 21st October 2011, 01:41     #13
drac0s

Not meant to get past dragon, as you come out sprint entire way to middle, avoid the arrows and go down the stairs on right hand side. You should make it just before the breath happens.
Old 21st October 2011, 08:27     #14
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Not meant to get past dragon, as you come out sprint entire way to middle, avoid the arrows and go down the stairs on right hand side. You should make it just before the breath happens.
Oh yeah finally managed to do it - got fried about 15 times before the dragon didn't do a second sweep (seemed a bit random about when it did and didn't). Now stuck grinding a different area a bit further on - lol. Still it's pretty damn enjoyable...

Pixie
Old 22nd October 2011, 10:23     #15
[Malks] Pixie

Gargoyles... fuck me... I must have missed something earlier on...

Pixie
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:36     #16
SID|DensitY

So after a week of not really playing, I hit it up last night.

Cleared out Blighttown and killed the spider boss at the end. Also went around and found another boss after that and killed him in 3 hits o_0. Cleared out Catacombs as well, the boss at the end died in about 4 hits.. dear god.

So now I'm sort of hmmming where I should head next. ATM I'm currently just farming more stones to boost my claymore up to divine +5 and farming more souls. (SL 40 atm).
Old 9th November 2011, 19:57     #17
Nahaz

Finally finished it after 85hours. Took 5 hits to take down the final boss, on attempt 15-20 or so. Sif took me like 50 attempts.

Tempted to keep on going with NG+ and not accidentally kill or piss off some NPCs.
Old 6th January 2012, 12:13     #18
[fe]

Thumbs up

Finally clocked it as well, some kind of ending would have been nice after all the work but not to be.

Most of the bosses werent too bad. We we stuck on the first Taurus Demon, and Ormstein and Smough the most and that was down to bad approaches.

Loved the vertical nature of some of the levels - firelink shrine, refreshing after playing more flat terrain games e.g fallout, borderlands. There was a lot of imagination in the levels (Huuge Anor Londo, The tree level at the base of blight etc).

Hated the pvp phantoms invading every second minute when not hollow, given we were just playing the game not set up to take them on, there were some pros who would just obliterate us which sucked, eventually took great pleasure in waiting until they came into view and pulling the net connect.

Didn't get the same sense of other players running around as in demon souls. I used to love reading tips and seeing how people died in that, really helped give a sense that there was danger at every turn but Dark was more run round and fight, due to the more open nature.

Still a great game though, well worth picking up along with Demon Souls (PS3)
Old 6th January 2012, 13:04     #19
SID|DensitY

Awesome work man!

if you continue on, NG+ is a blast. You'll end up destroying everything up to maybe iron giant and start to find things a little challenging again.

Thinking about a demon's souls replay <_<
Old 9th January 2012, 09:24     #20
[fe]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID|DensitY
Thinking about a demon's souls replay
Same here - it'll be good to have a break between the first run and NG+
Old 9th January 2012, 11:40     #21
SID|DensitY

ended up playing 8 hours of demon's souls over the weekend (Thanks shitty weather). Really plays different, pretty much not wearing armor and destroying stuff with 40 magic..

I'm just got firespray, going to get firestorm then take out the rest of 3-x to get homing soul fire (have enough intellect for 5 of them) then destroy the rest of the game via 'hyper mode'.

Only problem is I have 9 vitality and since my dark souls character was a high poise character, my dodging sucks
Old 18th January 2012, 08:15     #22
aR Que

Quote:
Anyone else playing? basically direct successor to Demon Souls. Seems a bigger world, a bit more open, little more polish, but pretty much more of the same.

Enjoying it, with the odd rage when either myself or the game does something spastic. Camera angles and falls to death would be main culprits.

Think its on xbox as well now, where demon souls was ps3 exclusive.
Yup, got it for xbox, probably should have played demon souls first as i have nfi what's happening, haha.
'Kindle, hmmm must be like the e-reader' *click* <you cannot kindle without hollowing> 'ahhh yes... hollowing' *click* <you cannot hollow without humanity> 'ahh....humanity, now wheres that button.' O_o

What topped the cake was when i started raging cause i couldn't find the quit button. lol.
Old 14th March 2012, 09:56     #23
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Only $40 or so at mightyape at the moment
Old 30th March 2012, 16:03     #24
aR Que

Worth the buy . Took me just shy of 70hrs to finish it, She's a hard slog until you get a big fucking axe.
HYAH HYAH.

Good game, even tho infuriating at times