Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 9th September 2011, 20:11     #1
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

RWC 2011

Fuckin' yeah! Here we go! For once the TV build up is working on me!
Old 9th September 2011, 20:22     #2
fixed_truth

So tell me what you gonna do,
what you gonna do when I Ma'a Nonu you?

All Black Everything
Old 9th September 2011, 20:57     #3
StN
I have detailed files

I'll be the first to say that it was awesome up until that little bloke in the Cantab shirt ran out.

Then it was mega awesome. (And I had to take the recycling out)
Old 9th September 2011, 21:04     #4
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Wacked

Choreographed containerlifts?
Old 9th September 2011, 21:14     #5
Lightspeed

That seemed more like nine minutes?
Old 9th September 2011, 21:19     #6
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Shuddup armchair homos, it's about to get real!
Old 9th September 2011, 21:46     #7
Deadmeat

What's the tech behind the projected images on the massive stage? The images are pretty impressively detailed without shadows seeming to be a problem.
Old 9th September 2011, 21:48     #8
xpandnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
That seemed more like nine minutes?
Yup. I was expecting more. Quite good though.
Old 9th September 2011, 22:24     #9
Rom
Your pants are like my pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
Was thinking WTF when I saw that.
Old 9th September 2011, 23:23     #10
BadNova

Laugh

Quote:
i wondered about this myself lol
Old 9th September 2011, 23:32     #11
JERI

GG Tonga. Good start to the RWC
Old 9th September 2011, 23:35     #12
ilk

Tonga, showing us how we are going to lose to South Africa, who will do exactly what Tonga did for twenty minutes, except all game, and better.

Fuck.
Old 9th September 2011, 23:57     #13
MadMax
Stuff

Felt a bit ill when that faggot came on stage trying to be a homie

Maybe there was some missinterpretation with homo and homie
Old 10th September 2011, 00:09     #14
DRa1N

I think the graphics in the opening ceremony were great. But am I the only one whos got the balls to say that there was to much maori shit involved?
Old 10th September 2011, 00:18     #15
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Actually I thought a bit of acknowledgement of European settlement wouldn't have gone astray. You know, the people who brought rugby to NZ.
Old 10th September 2011, 00:37     #16
A Corpse
talkative lurker

13 penalties conceeded. There's a recipe for disaster.
Old 10th September 2011, 00:38     #17
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:
Truly fucking weird. Are you in Aussie? Wondering if that was on NZ TV. It made no sense. Nor did a bunch of stuff in the fireworks section of the ceremony.

The first part was cool as shit, I thought.
Old 10th September 2011, 00:41     #18
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRa1N
I think the graphics in the opening ceremony were great. But am I the only one whos got the balls to say that there was to much maori shit involved?
Balls?
Old 10th September 2011, 00:59     #19
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
13 penalties conceeded. There's a recipe for disaster.
Old 10th September 2011, 02:37     #20
DeskJet

Watching from afar (Canada) I had the same thoughts as some others, too much Maori stuff, weird camera shots during the fireworks and a scrappy performance that has me concerned for the knock out stages.

On a positive note I thought SBW played well!
Old 10th September 2011, 02:39     #21
Maulmonk

did that include that 10 minute craziness with the scrum that kept on restarting?
Old 10th September 2011, 09:18     #22
ZoSo

Fuck the crush downtown. That was some dire shit. A lot of douchey drunk 20 somethings. We bailed on that pretty quick. Terrible planning down there.

The opening ceremony in the stadium though was great. Pretty proud of that one (fuck the more european version, they did their shit job in '87) As others mentioned, the other stuff towards the end outside the stadium, was a bit wack. Lost it's way somewhat there. All in all a decent job though.

As for the game itself, I'm with Campese, Buck & Bunce. They better be playing their best side 99% of the time to get those combos going, cause it wasn't flowing that great! A better team would have made us pay big time in that game.
Starting SBW ftw. Those pop passes on heavy d early on, is the way to go. Nonu to bust them later.

Looking forward to FRA vs JPN & ARG vs ENG today.

ps. Go the Warriors!
Old 10th September 2011, 09:31     #23
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Actually I thought a bit of acknowledgement of European settlement wouldn't have gone astray. You know, the people who brought rugby to NZ.
The TV cultural coverage was proportionate to the traditional origins of the All Black squad. It's the only fair way to do it I guess.
Old 10th September 2011, 10:48     #24
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
The TV cultural coverage was proportionate to the traditional origins of the All Black squad. It's the only fair way to do it I guess.
I just re watched the opening ceremony and they clearly stated that it was about the origins of NZ's settlement, and as Ab stated there was a complete omission of the European culture.
Old 10th September 2011, 10:53     #25
_Incubus_

I'm not too worried about this game, when playing lesser opposition the reality is that you tend to play a lesser game. We just need to make sure when we are playing France/Eng/Aus that we play an intense 80 minute game.

We cant do what we did against Aussie a few weeks ago and bang away with a plan that does not work for half the game then switch it up after the 1/2. The AB's need to be better at responding when things dont go their own way on the field, not after the 1/2.

Dagg, SBW, and Kahui were great..I like the bruising bulk up of our backline, and love the space that SBW clearly creates.
Old 10th September 2011, 10:56     #26
ipee

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
I just re watched the opening ceremony and they clearly stated that it was about the origins of NZ's settlement, and as Ab stated there was a complete omission of the European culture.
I think we clearly got a dose of European culture with the inclusion of synchronised containerlifts.
Old 10th September 2011, 11:00     #27
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipee
I think we clearly got a dose of European culture with the inclusion of synchronised containerlifts.
Oh right...I thought that was the wharfies union being represented.
Old 10th September 2011, 11:10     #28
ipee

Public transport system not up to scratch for the World Cup? Colour me surprised!
Old 10th September 2011, 11:40     #29
xor

Too many mistakes from the first match but I think they'll take a lot away from it.

The backline is covered beautifully for any injuries.
Old 10th September 2011, 14:13     #30
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Have to say, I thought the show was awesome. NZ is just one of many parts of the commonwealth, and the Maori side of things is what makes NZ different to everyone else. I'm neither surprised nor concerned that they focused on it as much as they did, and I thought the way they did it was great.

The huge Haka performance group at the beginning was outstanding, and the visuals to go with the rest of the show were bloody fantastic.

I'm glad the All Blacks went back to traditional Ka Mate too

+1 to wtf about the containers. Wasn't sure about the fellows belaying down the side of the building either :P

For the actual game, I was well impressed by SBW, despite his antics off the field re: signing with a local team etc. Was awesome seeing Dagg racking up the tries. Hoping Carter wasn't called off the field due to his wrist which seemed to give him some trouble quite early on in the game (iirc).

Hats off to Tonga for a good game. Still looking forward to seeing what Argentina brings to the tournament this year.

Last edited by Savage : 10th September 2011 at 14:15.
Old 10th September 2011, 14:15     #31
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'd like some ideas on how they would have portrayed European culture in the opening ceremony. Maybe the white man crosses the pitch on the Endeavour, shoots the Maori performers and then gives diseases to the rest of them?
Old 10th September 2011, 14:18     #32
Savage

lol^
Old 10th September 2011, 15:15     #33
doppelgänger of someone

The commentators are completely useless for the opening ceremony.

And tourists dig that traditional Maori stuff, they can't get that in Australia.
Old 10th September 2011, 15:25     #34
Deadmeat

I thought SBW had a 'Nonu-2010' type of a game. That high risk high reward play style that leaves you grateful he's in your team for half the game and shaking your head at his selection the rest of the time. His skill set is definitely coming up, that dab kick infield and a tackle a bit earlier (i think) where he was up over the ball in a flash were both promising signs.

I assumed Slade had come on to get game time, I wouldn't read a huge amount into Carter getting subbed.

also: C'MON ROMANIA!@#
Old 10th September 2011, 15:29     #35
xor

Did Ali Williams have a good game?

I didn't really notice him at all around the ruck tbh.
Old 10th September 2011, 15:33     #36
Deadmeat

fuck what a scrum

Romania leading Scotland!
Old 10th September 2011, 15:47     #37
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

For a short time..

What a legend effort from Romania.. impressed!
Old 10th September 2011, 16:14     #38
Deadmeat

Yea, Scotland suddenly remembered they were meant to be world class and then showed it. A much more exciting game than i'd picked it to be for sure.
Old 10th September 2011, 17:32     #39
zeekiorage

Much faster game this Fiji v Namibia. Fiji looks like a pretty good team to me.
Old 10th September 2011, 18:00     #40
BoyWonder

Well they are not exactly closing out the bottom seeded team just yet. Namibia seem to be attacking just as well at the moment. LOL at the 3 consecutive drop goals - one way to do it