NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 7th October 2007, 10:11     #81
fixed_truth

that blatant forward pass + sin binning was the difference between winning and losing

that sort of unfair advantage is unacceptable in tight games like that
i'm sulking at the moment but imo the ref should be accountable

off to beat my significant other
Old 7th October 2007, 10:11     #82
orpheus
Jedi Knight

i wanna see a SA v ENG final.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:15     #83
uTired2
wOOp wOOp!

Crying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
One forward pass and one try shouldn't have made any difference, because the All Blacks should have won that game by 30 points.

Let there be no griping about the ref, or dirty play, or the jerseys, or anything.

We choked. That's all there is to it. We should have won by a landslide and we didn't and it's all our fault. The end.
That's exactly the way I feel about the game. I'm kind of glad I'm not in NZ at the moment otherwise 1. I'd probably be crying and 2. I'm glad I won't have to put up with all the media crap for the next month or so blaming the ref. etc etc etc any excuse that can be made up for NZ's performance.

The ref's decisions, as bad as some of them may have been, shouldn't in the end have made any difference because we were going to win by 40 points blah blah blah.

It's bed time in this half of the world, I'll be having a pivo and a nice Polish vodka or two to try and keep the nightmares away.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:16     #84
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

lol just got a txt from my mate suggesting that the ref's penis be swabbed for traces of Bernard's saliva , as he suspects there some cock sucking going on at 1/2 time.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:19     #85
pk_wasp

First world cup that england won 2 quarter finals
Old 7th October 2007, 10:20     #86
caffiend

Righto. It's a beautiful day here in Christchurch, and I have a drive to Dunedin to be gotten on with. I suspect System of a Down will be playing rather loudly in the car.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:22     #87
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hey look at the bright side. At least we don't have to endure a 3rd place-4th place playoff.

Because we got knocked out at the quarterfinals.

The best-prepared best-coached most-highly-paid All Black squad in history, and our worst WC performance in history.

Boy that Super 14 conditioning programme worked a treat, didn't it?
Old 7th October 2007, 10:26     #88
Helious

Fuck I feel violent.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:27     #89
slippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Boy that Super 14 conditioning programme worked a treat, didn't it?
Thats defintately where we went wrong.

Not all our players had played themselves into form. Namely Carter.....

IMO everything else we did in preparation for the World Cup was top notch, EXCEPT for the fatal mistake of resting players for 7 weeks.

Should have been 3-4.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:28     #90
Shazam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious-
Fuck I feel violent.
me too! and it's a saturday night in dublin town.. woopie!

no, to be honest all i can do is laugh. it's just too fucked up.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:29     #91
caffiend

Fucking pool play. Jesus. Maybe we should deliberately play badly for the next 4 years and stay at 3rd or 4th in the rankings to ensure we get games against France and Argentina in the pool play.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:37     #92
LFC

On any given day the top probably 6 teams in the world in rugby can beat each other and thats whats happened, be it due to refing mistakes, indiviudal errors, etc....

Professionalism has closed the gap at the top, whereas I think back in the amateur days NZ probably had more of an advantage.

Theres no doubting that consitiently the All Blacks are the best team in the world overall but didn't perform on this particular day.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:38     #93
uTired2
wOOp wOOp!

What I'm really interested in is how is this going to affect the international rankings?

Does this mean that after the world cup we could potentially be 5th in the world? Seriously, do the rankings get allocated directly based on placings in the world cup, or does each team kind of get points, so maybe we won't drop quite as low as that.

Also with all the players leaving after the world cup, which seems to be a huge proportion of the team. How will this affect the next world cup, are they all magically going to come back and win the next world cup for us, or is NZ going to have to build from the ground up over the next 4 years?

Last edited by uTired2 : 7th October 2007 at 10:40.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:44     #94
slippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by uTired2
What I'm really interested in is how is this going to affect the international rankings?

Does this mean that after the world cup we could potentially be 5th in the world? Seriously, do the rankings get allocated directly based on placings in the world cup, or does each team kind of get points, so maybe we won't drop quite as low as that.

Also with all the players leaving after the world cup, which seems to be a huge proportion of the team. How will this affect the next world cup, are they all magically going to come back and win the next world cup for us, or is NZ going to have to build from the ground up over the next 4 years?
RWC ranking points are worth double the amount of a normal test match.

And teams only get points FROM beating a team. So France say France gets 3 points for beating us. We lost 3 points. But other than that, no one can deduct points from us.

They wouldnt have got max points in this game though because it was only 2 points different.
Old 7th October 2007, 10:44     #95
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uTired2

http://www.irb.com/rankings/explain/index.html
in short... 'no'
Old 7th October 2007, 10:46     #96
slippers

http://www.irb.com/rankings/explain/index.html
Old 7th October 2007, 10:47     #97
Torka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
Why is irb.com going to a domain squatter/spam website?
Old 7th October 2007, 10:52     #98
slippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torka
Why is irb.com going to a domain squatter/spam website?
Need to use www host... theyr noobs.
Old 7th October 2007, 11:14     #99
xor

If it makes anyone feel any better...A bunch of Frenchies ran outside our appartment block once the full time whistle went and started singing the national anthem, and I'm 11 levels up with a tray of eggs...

I lobbed one from the window and it landed within half a metre of 3 of them dancing about and splattered them all. They all ran back inside
Old 7th October 2007, 11:19     #100
blynk

I haven't seen any of the match conferences (if they have had them yet), but I hope that Graham Henry blasts the referees. It was absolutely shocking.

Also, maybe the referee should go to the TMO to rule for any cards. Let them see how bad it actually was. And I also think they need to do the same as league, and be able to rule on more than just the try, and they can go back more.
Better yet, the TMO should be mic'd up to the ref the same as the touchies, and make calls.
Old 7th October 2007, 11:20     #101
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

^^

(err... that was in response to xor)
Old 7th October 2007, 11:28     #102
zeekiorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
If it makes anyone feel any better...A bunch of Frenchies ran outside our appartment block once the full time whistle went and started singing the national anthem, and I'm 11 levels up with a tray of eggs...

I lobbed one from the window and it landed within half a metre of 3 of them dancing about and splattered them all. They all ran back inside
Much needed laugh. True patriot.
Old 7th October 2007, 11:34     #103
zeekiorage

I am going to support cricket more now. At least the Black Caps reached the semi-final.
Old 7th October 2007, 11:41     #104
Genesis

Classic ABs

We absolutely crumble at crunch time.
Old 7th October 2007, 11:48     #105
MadLep

I just woke up, logged on, and checked the news over breakfast.

My only response is

THEY FUCKING WHAT!?
Old 7th October 2007, 11:48     #106
Fluffer

Toot Toot! Go England for the Cup!

ABs - they didn't carry on the roll they were getting in the 1st half and let the frenchies in - then with the old heads off the younger ones got panicked.

ABs should have played the ref better...but it's history now..24yrs...
Old 7th October 2007, 11:51     #107
buckies

Angry talking

Henry should bear most responsibility over any of the players. The squad had the players to win this game easy, but crappy selections throughout this tourney made it life easy for the french.

Crap line up had the writing on the wall:

-Robinson: fuck off, play Jack. No match fitness and gives away penalties.
-Kelleher: fuck off, play Leonard. Kelleher misses 50% of rucks cos he hungus' it. Delivery is so slow that the backline dies. How many times do we have to see this formula repeat itself. Glad Kelleher is now fucking off overseas.
-Mills at centre = Nana move. Did anyone see Mills do sh*t this game? No, because he's had no f*ckin game time at centre and is playing out of position, on top of being too small to break any defensive line, let alone the French.
-Oliver = old man. Should be subbed off after 20 mins if started cos he can't handle. Mealamu and Hore are both sooo much better. Shame to all the scrammaging idiots who backed Oliver.
-Sivivatu = dipshit. Did he do anything in the game bar a forward pass? Howlett please for reliability, solid defensive, and high workrate. Howlett is always getting amongst the action with second pass hit ups like Roko was today (and Roko was doing it to great effect).

I dunno why Toeva was killed in this tourney. He was the best centre in the super 14, and we won the tri nations with him.

Henry gambled on Smith, for which I will never forgive him or Conrad for. I'm a Wellingtonian but I'll always hate Smith, mainly because he is an average player at best. Henry wasted valuable game time on Smith during pool play that should have gone to Toeva. What the f*ck was he thinking?

Muliana, Howlett, Toeva, McAlister, Howlett, Carter, Leonard = WIN.

NZ fell to the same trap as 03 and 99, the death of not having a proper centre.
Old 7th October 2007, 12:03     #108
untouchable

Ali Williams played fucking well...

Thats about all I noticed ( Mils was ok too ). We played very one dimensional, it would have been good to try and get some counterattacks going instead of playing aerial ping pong.

I am amazed Doug Howlett wasnt picked. A couple of our breaks I was thinking if only he was there in support like he always is.

Gotta feel for the team. They are going to be so gutted. They tried but combinations werent there( not really surprised with so much rotation ). Our go forward for the most part was pretty ordinary. Really slow recycling and the French always had us covered. ( Illegally or not )

Ok thats all from me, gunna go outside.

ps To the above poster, I actually thought Mils played pretty well. He got involved as much as he could.

Last edited by untouchable : 7th October 2007 at 12:04.
Old 7th October 2007, 12:15     #109
surreal

I feel horrible for the players. Carter almost at tears. Don't blame em.

But I have a feeling the next 4 years will be crap. Its so bad that the RWC gets more and more important, and the in between years matter less and less - makes me bored (and sad since we seem to be incapable of winning).
Old 7th October 2007, 12:20     #110
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Yea, really feel for the players now. If anyones read Marc Ellis's book it gives a little insight to a team loss at the rwc.
Old 7th October 2007, 12:27     #111
Divine

i was so confident we were gonna win, putting citizenship on the line. fuck sakes. the wings were so hungry but got fed nothing, then the final 20 were just trying to force themselves into the game. we didnt play all black rugby.
Old 7th October 2007, 12:28     #112
QWERTY?

argentina
Old 7th October 2007, 12:44     #113
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

trademe lol

Pretty shite that Barnes let the frogs get away with that massive forward pass then pulls us up on it.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=121493820

Last edited by Ashley : 7th October 2007 at 12:45.
Old 7th October 2007, 12:45     #114
lith0s

I thought perhaps towards the end of discussions here we should end the thread with the beginning.

"Still, I can't see France having any answer to the ABs' tight five or backline flair. 46 - 13 to NZ"

Gotta love it I was going to make lewd comments on what the French answer was to our "backline flair," but no need.
Old 7th October 2007, 12:59     #115
fixed_truth

ahaha

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=162737341
Old 7th October 2007, 13:01     #116
CCS
Stunt Pants

HAAAAAAAYYMAAAAAAANN! DAMN YOOOOOU!!!!
Old 7th October 2007, 13:04     #117
zeekiorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Real mature kiwi stuff right there. I think xor's idea was better.
Old 7th October 2007, 13:04     #118
blynk

I don't believe it was our center that lost us the game. It may have in the semis/final. But it wasn't a factor in this game.
There were 5 nails in the coffin.

1 - The sinbinning of McAlistar.
2 - The forward pass
3 - The offside/infringing not being picked up
4 - When we lost Evans.
5 - Haymans beard
Old 7th October 2007, 13:08     #119
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Yeah, thats really stupid
Old 7th October 2007, 13:09     #120
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

As I've pointed out in other threads before, NZ ALWAYS loses when it matters.

Anyone hoping from better was a dreamer, and sometimes luck transpires to deliver upon that; but not this time. Anyone expecting better was a fool and oh so blind to the evidence that this happens every time.

My only regret is that I pay so little attention to this stuff that I missed the opportunity to have a bet on the other side. Hell, I'd heard of the World Cup but wasn't sure if it had started yet. Took a look this morning in hope of making some $$$$ers and see I'm too late. Never mind, the same will happen next time.