User Name
Password

Old 1st October 2007, 11:53     #1
fobski

So.. to cardiff we roll

but why do i have a sinking feeling about playing france in the quarters

Old 1st October 2007, 12:32     #2
EvilLumpy

I'm predicting an AB vs SA final so you're not allowed to have a sinking feeling.
Old 1st October 2007, 13:06     #3
BtP

I'm predicting an AB vs SA final so you're not allowed to have a sinking feeling UNTIL THEN.
Old 1st October 2007, 13:24     #4
blynk

My main concern is drop goals, And I think it could be a concern for Australia as well.

Its all good going for trys, but if they don't come, and then all of a sudden the other side is down the other end kicking a drop goal, it really adds up. England will definitely employ that tactic, but France will probably do it as well.

It will be the only way we loose this game.
Old 1st October 2007, 16:54     #5
caffiend

We will thump France. Big time.

I'm starting to wonder if Henry has pulled off an awesome hand of poker. I just can't help feeling that the ABs have been kept in check up until now.

Things might be different against Aussie and then SA; but it was just the realisation when seeing the players on the bench and in the stands for the Romania game that we have not put the form 15 on the field yet; not by a long shot.

I have faith.
Old 1st October 2007, 18:33     #6
Ard Righ

Go the All Blacks winning the coin toss and making France play in the We French Love to Surrender strip
Old 1st October 2007, 18:43     #7
Maulmonk

I want NZ to play a tough grinding encounter vs France to prepare us to verse Aussie in the finals. I think previous world cups have taugh us one thing: big margins mean NOTHING
Old 1st October 2007, 21:58     #8
blynk

I think the game will be either a really tight one with only a couple of points different (to either side). Or, we will win it by 20+ points
Old 1st October 2007, 22:02     #9
Rocket

lol very nice prediction you made there. you what you trying to say is you dont have a clue.
Old 1st October 2007, 22:21     #10
Phantom
May contain nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
We will thump France. Big time.

I'm starting to wonder if Henry has pulled off an awesome hand of poker. I just can't help feeling that the ABs have been kept in check up until now.

Things might be different against Aussie and then SA; but it was just the realisation when seeing the players on the bench and in the stands for the Romania game that we have not put the form 15 on the field yet; not by a long shot.

I have faith.
Sing is sister! AMEN =D

This is the year
Old 1st October 2007, 22:48     #11
JERI

Tough game or not, I simply can't see the All Blacks losing to the French.
Old 1st October 2007, 23:15     #12
caffiend

So here's what I think would be our best team, assuming no injury concerns:

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Keven Mealamu
3. Carl Hayman
4. Chris Jack
5. Ali Williams
6. Jerry Collins
7. Richie McCaw
8. Rodney So'oialo
9. Byron Kelleher
10. Dan Carter
11. Joe Rococoko
12. Luke McAlister
13. Isaia Toeava
14. Doug Howlett
15. Leon MacDonald

Bench:
16. Anton Oliver
17. Neemia Tialata
18. Chris Masoe
19. Keith Robinson
20. Brendon Leonard
21. Conrad Smith
22. Mils Muliaina

The fact that this would still be sitting out players like Mauger, Thorne, Somerville, Ellis, Evans, Sivivatu means (injuries aside) we really do have a shitload of good players to choose from.

Last edited by caffiend : 1st October 2007 at 23:17.
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:03     #13
Maulmonk

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Anton Oliver
3. Carl Hayman
4. Chris Jack
5. Ali Williams
6. Jerry Collins
7. Richie McCaw
8. Rodney So'oialo
9. Byron Kelleher
10. Dan Carter
11. Joe Rococoko
12. Luke McAlister
13. Mils Muliania
14. Doug Howlett
15. Leon MacDonald

Bench:
16. Kevin Mealamu
17. Neemia Tialata
18. Sione Lauaki
19. Keith Robinson
20. Brendon Leonard
21. Nick Evans
22. Isaia Toeava

My team

Smith hasn't shown enough to warrant a spot.
Lauaki and Mealamu offer the most impact from the bench IMHO.
Old 2nd October 2007, 06:41     #14
darkness

I reckon Robinson and Evans are a hairs breath away from being in the first 15.

Robinson has been dominating lineouts and Evans had a blinder of a game against romania. He was everywhere and his kicking was much more consistent that McAlisters
Old 2nd October 2007, 08:13     #15
slippers

Evans has pretty much cemented a bench spot for the rest of the tournament imho.

Lauaki is gone until the Final - if we make it. Which is good because they really only need him against South Africa anyway.

Id agree with those teams posted above pretty much.
Old 2nd October 2007, 09:11     #16
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

McAlistair off the bench IMO* as an impact player

* And John Hart's as well, apparently
Old 2nd October 2007, 09:39     #17
a-tech

Go the ABs - this is where the fun really starts 9am kick off too, sweet time.
Old 2nd October 2007, 10:01     #18
Boofhead

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/ne...pended+matches
Lauaki out for 2 weeks
Old 2nd October 2007, 10:55     #19
slippers

We only need Lauaki for the Boks anyway. Also - Mcalister is better off the bench imo too.
Old 2nd October 2007, 11:38     #20
pig

I dunno why but i feel like the AB's have been holding back in tactics & approach, hopefully they are ready to go.

1. Tony Woodcock
2. Anton Oliver
3. Carl Hayman
4. Chris Jack
5. Ali Williams
6. Jerry Collins
7. Richie McCaw
8. Rodney So'oialo
9. Byron Kelleher
10. Dan Carter
11. Joe Rococoko
12. Luke McAlister
13. Conrad Smith
14. Doug Howlett
15. Mils Muliaina
Bench:
16. Keven Mealamu
17. Greg Somerville
18. Chris Masoe
19. Keith Robinson
20. Brendon Leonard
21. Aaron Mauger
22. Isaia Toeava

They usually start Oliver against the frogs for his scrummaging, i can't see anyone apart from Smith at centre as no-one else has really stepped up.
Hard to choose between Mauger & Evans & Toeava & Sivavatu as the back cover, i would have Mauger in my starting 15 ahead of McAlister this game to give him a chance to find some form but Henry seems to prefer McAlister atm.

Last edited by pig : 2nd October 2007 at 11:39.
Old 2nd October 2007, 12:38     #21
slippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
I dunno why but i feel like the AB's have been holding back in tactics & approach, hopefully they are ready to go.
They HAVE been holding back in tactics. Kevin Mealamu accidently let it slip the other day in an interview. I'm surprised more people havn't picked up on this.
Old 2nd October 2007, 12:42     #22
slippers

IMO the team will be as follows.

1. Woodcock
2. Mealamu
3. Hayman
4. Williams
5. Jack
6. Collins
7. McCaw
8. So'oialo

9. Kelleher

10. Carter
11. Rokocoko
12. McAlister
13. Muliana
14. Howlett
15. McDonald

16. Evans
17. Thorne
18. Sommerville
19. Leonard
20. Oliver
21. Toeava
22. Masoe
Old 2nd October 2007, 13:28     #23
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippers
They HAVE been holding back in tactics. Kevin Mealamu accidently let it slip the other day in an interview. I'm surprised more people havn't picked up on this.
What did he say?
Old 2nd October 2007, 13:42     #24
slippers

Here is the relivant part of the article......

Quote:
Originally Posted by some article
Mealamu said not every lineout trick had been unveiled so far because the eyes of all their main rivals would be watching.

New tactics would come out when everything was on the line in the knockout phase.

"Teams like Aussie and South Africa, they thrive on that sort of stuff," Mealamu said.

"You can't show everything. You've got to make sure you have something you can go to when you need it in the big games."
Now I know it does say LINEOUT. So he only let it slip that they are holding back in the lineout...however, you'd think that with comments like that its a theme that would be mirrored throughout the whole team.

If you read between the lines - the All Blacks _ARE_ holding something back. This much is obvious in their rotation policy anyway.
Old 2nd October 2007, 13:53     #25
Kryten

Wasn't every lineout throw in the Portugal game exactly the same, purportedly because a) we could and b) why give anything away?
Old 2nd October 2007, 13:56     #26
untouchable

The centre pairing still worries me. McAlister with his stupid little kicks that never work or Mauger who is slightly better tactically but isnt such a force at the line.

Im happy with either Toeava or Muliana at 13 tho.

Conrad smith can fuck right off.
Old 2nd October 2007, 14:16     #27
slippers

Yeah Toeava or Muliana I'm happy with also.
Old 2nd October 2007, 14:29     #28
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable
The centre pairing still worries me. McAlister with his stupid little kicks that never work or Mauger who is slightly better tactically but isnt such a force at the line.
Amazing, you can swap each name for the other and the sentence still makes just as much sense.
Old 2nd October 2007, 14:31     #29
untouchable

Yeah and therein lies the problem. I wonder if Muliana could play 12.
Old 2nd October 2007, 15:13     #30
pig

Im not worried about second five, im pretty happy about either of those guys starting altho i prefer Mauger's experience. I am concerned about centre, especially the way bloody Mortlock has tended to have his way with us in recent times.
Old 2nd October 2007, 15:39     #31
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippers
I've known this since before the cup, where I am sure they said they would not play all their moves until they get past the first round.
It makes sense, why play great moves against the nobodys, that other team can watch and learn.
They may have tested a few things, but there will still be a lot in the goody bag.
Old 2nd October 2007, 16:05     #32
o9

Quote:
Yeah and therein lies the problem. I wonder if Muliana could play 12.
I'd like:

10. Evans
12. Carter

Better than McAlister or Mauger, but it'll never happen

Carter is first choice 10 and 12 isn't he?

Last edited by o9 : 2nd October 2007 at 16:08.
Old 2nd October 2007, 16:20     #33
BtP

Quote:
Originally Posted by o9
I'd like:

10. Evans
12. Carter
Better than McAlister or Mauger, but it'll never happen
Carter is first choice 10 and 12 isn't he?
Carter's a tough nut and wouldn't be too bad as a 12... hmmm. Our real options as discussed above combinations of McAlister, Mauger, Toeava, Smith, Mills.

With Leon a competent fullback (hell - Evans is handy there too) it's a safe approach with Mills in at centre. In that case I'd chuck McAlister in for a bit of flair and risk taking. With a cool head either side of him I think he would thrive. At 1st 5 definitely not...

I'd like to say Conrad Smith as 1st choice at 13 but he hasn't really put his hand up with the small opportunities he's had. I like Toeava and to see him at 13 I'd put Mauger in at 12. But even then I don't think this is as strong as the pairing of McAlister and Mills(or Smith).
Old 2nd October 2007, 16:26     #34
a-tech

Henry and the ABs management arent stupid - they have been planning this for 4 years now, if all the top teams didnt have some tactics saved for the final rounds I would be very suprised.
Old 2nd October 2007, 16:29     #35
drac0s

other teams will have tactics saved as well. the midfield pairing still does seem to be dodgy which i guess is mine and everyone elses concern.
Old 2nd October 2007, 17:37     #36
caffiend

I think Toeava did well at 13 against Romania. Very quietly, and without any flashiness; but he's been fairly solid whenever he's come on in other games too. I'd like to see him in 13 for the France game because that will definitely give him a bit of a try-out against a semi-decent opponent, without being too risky since if he isn't up to par I doubt the French will be able to exploit it with the quality of players around him.

He needs a good test before he goes up against the likes of Mortlock.
Old 2nd October 2007, 17:55     #37
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'd like to see Carter 10 and Brett 12 next year.
Old 2nd October 2007, 17:57     #38
Ard Righ

Everyone here is acting overly paranoid about the centre combinations. Geez do you think the coaches with their 4 years of planning would let the biggest sticking point in All Black RWC history be the fall-down yet again ?

The team has more than enough options to cover centre for whatever team we face. We've got the bulk when needed, and we've got the pace when needed.

Don't stress.
Old 2nd October 2007, 18:22     #39
untouchable

I hope you are right but we havent seen a consistent centre pairing for a long time, so I think everyone is entitled to be a bit unsure.
Old 2nd October 2007, 18:47     #40
blynk

Quote:
I hope you are right but we havent seen a consistent centre pairing for a long time, so I think everyone is entitled to be a bit unsure.
Maybe thats one of their tactics. Make it look like we don't have anyone outstanding, but really, Smith and Toeava are just biding their time.