Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 27th June 2007, 22:32     #1
Jin

NZ v AUS Bledisloe 1

Quote:
Toeava was not available because a bruised shoulder from the physical encounter with the Springboks last Sunday, which also took its toll on Sitiveni Sivivatu.

The All Black coaches decided to give the winger a rest against the Wallabies, which has opened the door for departing Crusader Rico Gear on the right wing.

Gear was initially left out of the All Blacks squad and played with the Junior All Blacks in the Pacific Nations Cup, but the Bledisloe Cup test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on Saturday will give Gear the opportunity to possibly earn a ticket to the World Cup.

Luke McAlister replaces Aaron Mauger at second five-eighths.

In the forwards Chris Jack returns from parental leave after the birth of his first child and will be at lock alongside Troy Flavell.

Keven Mealamu was predicted to start at hooker but the coaches have stuck with Anton Oliver who also started against the Springboks.

"The Bledisloe Cup means a lot to the team and to New Zealanders," said All Blacks coach Graham Henry, "and we have selected our best team. It's not the same team as last week, but it's our best."

The team is Leon MacDonald, Rico Gear, Mils Muliaina, Luke McAlister, Josevata Rokocoko, Dan Carter, Byron Kelleher, Rodney So?oialo, Richie McCaw (captain, Jerry Collins, Troy Flavell, Chris Jack, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Tony Woodcock.

The reserves are Keven Mealamu, Neemia Tialata, Ross Filipo, Chris Masoe, Piri Weepu, Aaron Mauger, and Nick Evans.

McDonald
McAlister
Rico
Old 28th June 2007, 09:13     #2
blynk

Definately a strong team, I like the make up of it, and the bench. Looking forward to it.

Hopefully Australia put up some competition and we have a good game
Old 28th June 2007, 09:15     #3
QWERTY?

yeh jack and flavel should lay down the smack

also i hear they are expecting a crowd of 85k+

insane the re-done MCG must be HUUGGGEE, might have to pop over a see a one-dayer there
Old 28th June 2007, 09:59     #4
xor

What about Howlett?
Old 28th June 2007, 11:18     #5
_Incubus_

/me cant wait to be at the MCG on Saturday night!!!
Old 28th June 2007, 11:22     #6
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

^^^
BAN HIM
Old 28th June 2007, 11:43     #7
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
What about Howlett?
I noticed the exclusion of his name, but he must still be on parental leave.
Old 28th June 2007, 14:51     #8
caffiend

Yep - parental leave it is.

Strong looking team
Old 28th June 2007, 15:28     #9
Ard Righ

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTY?
yeh jack and flavel should lay down the smack

also i hear they are expecting a crowd of 85k+

insane the re-done MCG must be HUUGGGEE, might have to pop over a see a one-dayer there
Err, the original Bledisloe Test game at the MCG attracted a crowd around 100,000 people, like the 3rd highest attendance for any single event at the MCG at the time (back around '96-'97).

I think the only events that had higher attendance at the time was a AFL final and a visit from the Pope or some religious figure.
Old 29th June 2007, 09:01     #10
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Oh fuck yeah I'm HANGING out for that next Pope Visit! w0000t!! I'm going to pre-order my tickets hard.

I'm a total Toeava/Sivivatu fan boy, bit disappointed they're out. Also disappointed Leonard not getting a run again.
Old 30th June 2007, 12:07     #11
caffiend

Fuck. MacDonald out for 4 weeks with groin injury.

So:
Muliaina -> 15
McAlister -> 13
Mauger -> from the bench to 12
Sivivatu -> on the bench despite broken nose??

At least, I think that's how it's working...

Aussies playing mindgames with McAlister, as he's never played at 13 in a test before: http://www.stuff.co.nz/4112877a10295.html

Last edited by caffiend : 30th June 2007 at 12:11.
Old 30th June 2007, 12:17     #12
blynk

Guess its a good time to predict scores.
Maybe 33-18 to the ABs
Old 30th June 2007, 13:01     #13
caffiend

Hmmm... tricky one. I would've agreed with you had MacDonald been in and the backline not reshuffled. As it is, I'm going with ABs by 18-13.
Old 30th June 2007, 14:29     #14
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Whatever backline the All Blacks run out with tonight is the best backline in world rugby, so I'm not too concerned. So long as Mauger is given VERY STRICT INSTRUCTIONS on what to do, I'm not going to worry. It's when Mauger is given free rein to play however he wants that he loses his mind.
Old 30th June 2007, 14:43     #15
caffiend

You don't think McAlister playing an unfamiliar position is a little worrying? Hmmm... maybe I'm buying Aussies' hype.
Old 30th June 2007, 15:12     #16
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nah, he played at 2nd five a few times for the Blues this year IIRC, and did well. He's certainly bulked up a lot this year and seems to be playing more aggressively.
Old 30th June 2007, 17:35     #17
caffiend

Sure, but 2nd-5 is a different story to centre.
Old 30th June 2007, 19:44     #18
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
You don't think McAlister playing an unfamiliar position is a little worrying? Hmmm... maybe I'm buying Aussies' hype.
so long he keeps his temper.....
Old 30th June 2007, 23:54     #19
Kryten

Well it's no wonder the Aussies are cheating at scrum time.

Bring on the second half!
Old 30th June 2007, 23:55     #20
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

enjoying those scrums dunning?
Old 1st July 2007, 00:57     #21
Koldzy

nooooooooo

haven't seen the ABs play that poorly in ages, looked like it was the first time they'd played together.

thought the ref did a terrible job in the scrums, aussie were beating the engage call almost every time.

our midfield was maugerly exploited =[

Last edited by Koldzy : 1st July 2007 at 00:58.
Old 1st July 2007, 00:57     #22
blynk

Wow, Talk about the most deserving team lost.

What a shitta.

Well, we may as well fall back on the "better now, than at the world cup"
Old 1st July 2007, 00:57     #23
Kryten

Ouch. That hurts. A lot.

Hard to take many positives from the game, we seemed a bit all over the place in the second half and just couldn't string anything together.
Old 1st July 2007, 00:58     #24
drac0s

shrug they played pretty shit lots of silly mistakes, but also annoying just how much influence ref's have in the game, needs to be way more consistancy in how the rule stuff, noone knows wtf is going on.
Old 1st July 2007, 01:01     #25
leadinjector

fuck that was an appalling second half, especially after quite a nice first half.

and that yellow card was bullllllll fucking shit
Old 1st July 2007, 01:10     #26
buckies

Very angry some thoughts...

First off, it is disgusting to think that bad ref'ing can have such a drastic consequences on the outcome of a match. Ref's have to have more accountability for their decisions on the field.

Mccalister + Toeva = #1 midfield combo. Playing conservative with Mauger and Smith at world cup time will cost them the cup. Mauger and Toeva I can handle disgruntingly, just. Sure i'll admit McCalister missed one tackle on Mortlock, but so too did two cover defenders, so the liability shouldn't fall squarely on him for the try. He did single-handedly make Gear's try and almost made another one with his chip over the top. His acceleraction off the mark is also far superior to mug boy Mauger. Will Henry ever pick the form 15 or continual to be boring and methodical?

Where the fuck was Leonard? Kelleher's delivery is shit and slow, and his constant pick and go's are PREDICTABLE - especially when your opposition is Australia who have seen it 100 times before. Leonard is the snapiest feeder we've got by far (very Greganesque style), which should be priority #1 when you've got such an deadly backline. It's stupid to sub on Weepu for Kelleher because he plays exactly the same style. Net result = more slow delivery, stupid decisions, and too much picking and going. Nice move there Henry.

Last edited by buckies : 1st July 2007 at 01:12.
Old 1st July 2007, 01:19     #27
vorlon

I have to say that was shit.

to me the AB's didn't look like they wanted to play rugby.

I don't believe McAlister should be wearing the 13 jeresy... fuck bring back Tana!
Right now I prefer Carter, Roco, Mauger, Smith, Roco, Siv & Mils as my back line.

I thought they should've brought Siv on earlier, take off McAlister, have Mils come up to the 13 position & have Siv as full back.

man.. that was a shit game...
Old 1st July 2007, 01:33     #28
Jenza

We needed to knock the ball on more.
Old 1st July 2007, 01:37     #29
Sanchez

Yay, Aus win
Old 1st July 2007, 01:42     #30
Ard Righ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenza
We needed to knock the ball on more.
And we should have offered the ref a coin, so he could make it more obvious which way the scrum penalties were going to go each time

It was a shocking game for the number of handling errors. The penalties the players seemed to deal with OK, but the dropped balls lost us some key scoring opportunities in that game.

Still, would like to see how the game next week goes, All Blacks get to rest up for the 2 home games
Old 1st July 2007, 02:30     #31
Jin

FUCK OFF MAUGER
Old 1st July 2007, 03:21     #32
caffiend

How the fuck the ref didn't blow up the Aussies at the last 3 minutes of the game for not using clear ball I have no fucking idea. Worst blatant time-wasting I have ever seen.

And Jin - this time you might have a point. Mauger was very average. But then, so, AGAIN, was Carter. Who kidnapped the real Carter and put this doppelganger on the field for the last few games. Minimal vision, no play-making.

And aside from that try by Gear I can't remember the wings getting any ball.
Old 1st July 2007, 05:43     #33
[WanG] Wandarah

Peaked too soon!
Old 1st July 2007, 10:20     #34
Erazhure

dare i ask... but... final score?
Old 1st July 2007, 10:21     #35
orpheus
Jedi Knight

20-15
Old 1st July 2007, 11:00     #36
Phrack

Man, calm down! Can't win every game. Being the best team, it's harder to get better and continue to be the best. Every other rugby nation has the AB's as a standard to aim for. This was a good result in my opinion. Really gives us areas to focus and work on.
Old 1st July 2007, 12:41     #37
caffiend

^^ True, but we were only the best team last night for one of the halves.

Mortlock had a blinder. He's a fucking beast.
Old 1st July 2007, 13:16     #38
Spidey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin
FUCK OFF MAUGER
Old 1st July 2007, 14:03     #39
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If it hadn't been for that abomination of a game between the Wallabies and the Boks at Brisbane last year, I would say that last night's was the worst test match I had ever seen.

The shittiness of each team was matched only by the shittiness of the referee.

Shit.
Old 1st July 2007, 18:14     #40
pig

Shit that was a frustrating game to watch, we played pretty ordinary & made a lot of handling errors. We also gave away some stupid penalties but bloody hell that ref was shit. I dunno what the fuck he thought was going on at scrum time but that was just a mess all night due to that prat Dunning.
Was wondering what our gameplan was because i can't recall us kicking for territory at all in the game which might have smarter in the second half.
Other thing that got on my wick was the camera work - it was bloody terrible.