Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 29th April 2021, 17:10     #42521
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
One might argue that this doesn’t really count as "time travel"
You're traveling in time right now, one hour per hour, and so you're talking about increasing that velocity.
Take Interstellar Timelines (like Airlines but with Time, geddit?) and go seven years per hour.
Tourism, no. Touring implies experiencing something different but then going back to your life as usual. One way migration, sure.

Just don't forget to fill out your temporal passenger arrival card for the immigration department.
We're definitely time travellers. But we're going weak-ass rest speeds. We could have the option to put the foot down, see how the universe spins out.

Time migration sounds cool. Except, I don't think it'd be wise to leave behind bad times, fingers crossed they're good when you arrive. You'd have to have a sense of stability.

Space migration on a inter-system scale would also be time migration. You couldn't leave anticipating a return trip, but you could still get to pretty much any destination in the galaxy within your lifetime. Send robots at high acceleration ahead to terraform any planets, arrive a million years later.

Which is kinda why I think of travelling ahead as a kind of tourism, return trip notwithstanding. You go to see what's there, rather than to build a new life. But I suppose there could be many motivations. Cash in on compound interest?

Another approach would be some kind of stasis I suppose. But it's much less clear how that would work... not that I know how high energy particle shields might. Moon sized balls of ice?
Old 29th April 2021, 17:15     #42522
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I don't think it'd be wise to leave behind bad times, fingers crossed they're good when you arrive.
I think you're ignoring a few hundred thousand years of human history right there mate. Leaving bad times in hope of a better life elsewhere has always been the number one reason for emigration, and I don't see that ever changing.
Old 29th April 2021, 17:20     #42523
Lightspeed

Well that's what I mean. We leave bad times at one place to build something new elsewhere.

In this case, you're arriving not somewhere new, but at the outcome of those bad times.
Old 29th April 2021, 20:02     #42524
StN
I have detailed files

Nice call out at liftoff by the SpaceX commentator - Godspeed Michael Collins.
Old 29th April 2021, 20:33     #42525
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Nice call out at liftoff by the SpaceX commentator - Godspeed Michael Collins.
Was most pleased to hear that!
Old 30th April 2021, 15:35     #42526
MadMax
Stuff

It's that time of the year and I've just trapped a mouse. Poor soul.
Old 1st May 2021, 13:12     #42527
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
It's that time of the year and I've just trapped a mouse. Poor soul.
I woke at 05:30 yesterday to find that one of the cats had assumed I was a UB40 fan. I blame the swampy reserve across the road. Now apparently I have placed it in the wrong rubbish bin. Looks like compostable garden waste to me.

Last edited by StN : 1st May 2021 at 13:13.
Old 1st May 2021, 14:02     #42528
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I had the most amazing timetravel boostrap paradox dream last night, it was 1969 and I was in Abbey Road with the Beatles showing Ringo the drum part to "Something" and then singing George the guitar solo so he'd know what to play.
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:35     #42529
crocos

#wishfufilment

But then I can't imaging anyone musical NOT having at least some sort of daydream/similar along that line

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 4th May 2021, 17:22     #42530
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

RIP Margaret Forsyth. Legend.
Old 4th May 2021, 20:46     #42531
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

facepalm

For the 3 years I've lived in my place, I didn't use the oven because I tried it when I moved in and it didn't work. The elements did - I even took the back off and checked the wiring and tested everything with a multimeter which seemed fine. It was a mystery that I couldn't be bothered solving. I even thought about replacing it, but it was never a priority. I've got a little benchtop mini oven/grill I use, and I'm only cooking for myself.

I seared some lamb chops for a slow cook this morning on the elements and was cleaning the oil splashes from the panel when I bumped the timer knobs, and flicked it to the "hand" symbol. Turned the oven onto grill, the light came on, and the smell of 3 years of dust burning off greeted my nasals.

What an idiot.
Old 4th May 2021, 22:52     #42532
blynk

Doh, yeah. Got to set the time on those free standing ovens.
Old 5th May 2021, 20:59     #42533
MadMax
Stuff

wow. i'm the opposite with appliances. i must read the manual page by page and test out every single feature that it has before i'm happy. i'm that guy that carefully reads the paper on how to remove an item from its packaging.
Old 6th May 2021, 12:58     #42534
StN
I have detailed files

So Bill finally worked out who commissioned Comic Sans then...
Old 7th May 2021, 18:32     #42535
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
For the 3 years I've lived in my place, I didn't use the oven because I tried it when I moved in and it didn't work. The elements did - I even took the back off and checked the wiring and tested everything with a multimeter which seemed fine. It was a mystery that I couldn't be bothered solving. I even thought about replacing it, but it was never a priority. I've got a little benchtop mini oven/grill I use, and I'm only cooking for myself.

I seared some lamb chops for a slow cook this morning on the elements and was cleaning the oil splashes from the panel when I bumped the timer knobs, and flicked it to the "hand" symbol. Turned the oven onto grill, the light came on, and the smell of 3 years of dust burning off greeted my nasals.

What an idiot.
The old man loved to use the timer when he cooked on the piss. When the timer goes off it will just ring loudly for about 3-5mins and then stop and the oven turns off. This is the Hand symbol. When I was younger and it was obvious he was passed out I would walk up and turn it past the hand and manually turn it off rather than waiting for it to time out.

Reading what you wrote was kinda neat for me. I specifically remembering being a lad and asking Dad why I couldn't use the Grill and he walked up and turned the knob away from the hand symbol.

Life's a real mother fucker sometimes - haha.
Old 7th May 2021, 18:47     #42536
Lightspeed

Reminds me of the amount of times I've had to show people not to put laundry powder in the fabric softener dispenser.

The domestic appliance issues is what reminds me I mean, not the domestic neglect.
Old 9th May 2021, 14:48     #42537
Lightspeed

Might get a rocket falling on us tonight. Likely crash zones:
https://mapshot.app/pkg/longmarch.html
Old 11th May 2021, 20:17     #42538
MadMax
Stuff

New hobbies …

My latest favourite game: learning people’s scripts and using it back at them before they do.

Vodafone are easy as I have the pleasure of logging faults weekly.

Supermarkets: hi how’s your day going so far?

Retail stores: hi can I help you?

Last edited by MadMax : 11th May 2021 at 20:18.
Old 15th May 2021, 02:49     #42539
Lightspeed

Weird universe where I can't tell whether at least some of the videos of people filling up absurdly random plastic containers with gas are staged or not.

It's absurd in the first place, but I keep seeing crazier and crazier footage.
Old 20th May 2021, 18:40     #42540
Lightspeed

Total lunar eclipse in NZ this week:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2021-may-26

It's a "Super Flower Blood Moon". If you're looking for moon based powers, this might be your chance.
Old 21st May 2021, 08:10     #42541
Cyberbob

Thanks for the heads up, it's next Wednesday
Old 21st May 2021, 12:08     #42542
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Awesome, I’ll try some different recipes and see if they get random buffs.
Old 21st May 2021, 13:04     #42543
blynk

Had a giggle at a personalised number plate this morning.
They were obviously wanting it to read enjoy.
But with the spaces it was IN J01.

I wonder if they knew what JOI stood for.
Old 21st May 2021, 20:37     #42544
BoyWonder

Anyone know anything about the Waikato DHB "cyber attack"? Seems to me like the worst consequences of a system wide lack of patching or timely upgrades but it probably isn't that simple.
Old 21st May 2021, 21:39     #42545
xor

They got ransomwared by a cybercrime group.
Old 21st May 2021, 22:10     #42546
Lightspeed

Someone set up them the bomb.
Old 23rd May 2021, 23:46     #42547
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
Anyone know anything about the Waikato DHB "cyber attack"? Seems to me like the worst consequences of a system wide lack of patching or timely upgrades but it probably isn't that simple.
It always is that simple. Especially with under resourced hospitals.
Old 24th May 2021, 18:26     #42548
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ten to one some temp opened an attachment he should not have opened.
Old 24th May 2021, 22:20     #42549
crocos

I feel bad for laughing given how little actual effort went into this "artwork"
https://bluethumb.com.au/shane-bonsujet/Artwork/nokia

Old 26th May 2021, 22:18     #42550
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I honestly have no idea whether this is a Spinoff article or a parody of what people think a Spinoff article must be like

https://thespinoff.co.nz/books/26-05...-im-living-in/
Old 27th May 2021, 10:13     #42551
StN
I have detailed files

I've found myself revisiting old stomping grounds on a Saturday morning under the guise of looking for Uranium glass in op-shops, and fiddling with a Rubik's cube while on Teams calls.

I think subconsciously I am trying to re-enforce old memories of where and what I did as a teenager to stave off Alzheimer's.
Old 27th May 2021, 12:58     #42552
crocos

Be glad of your detailed files?

Old 27th May 2021, 13:15     #42553
StN
I have detailed files

...just have to remember where I put them.
Old 27th May 2021, 14:54     #42554
crocos

<momento_tattoo.jpg>

Old 31st May 2021, 12:18     #42555
blynk

I've always found it a bit odd to serve alcohol on a flight. I can only assume it stemmed from early flights that were for the upper class.

While I understand some may use it for nerves, if you can't go a few hours (or up to 12 hours) with out a drink. You have an issue.
us airlines keeping booze off menu because passengers are getting too aggressive
Old 31st May 2021, 13:43     #42556
Lightspeed

It's gonna be real fascinating how things come to a head in the US. Tension is building and building, with no relief coming by way of politics.

Of course, it's one of those situations where there are many waiting in the wings eager to snatch up what they can.
Old 3rd June 2021, 14:38     #42557
[fe]

Quote:
The End of GeoCities -
In 1999, then-internet giant Yahoo purchased GeoCities for $3.5 billion.
In contrast. 9/10/2006 · Internet search leader Google is snapping up YouTube for $1.65 billion.
Old 5th June 2021, 15:37     #42558
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Bing censors image searches for “tank man”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qj8v...nsors-tank-man
Old 5th June 2021, 16:35     #42559
Lightspeed

I feel China really doesn't understand how they're drawing attention to these events. I get their efforts work internally, but...
Old 5th June 2021, 19:20     #42560
StN
I have detailed files

Effectively...