NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 24th March 2021, 17:18     #801
Lightspeed

What's your ex-buddy about wazza? They have this kind of meltdown when you hung with them?
Old 24th March 2021, 18:33     #802
wazza
*flex*

When I was a drug addict(this is years ago now) I messaged half a dozen close mates and borrowed money and never paid them back.

Some things you can fix(pay a person back), other times, people just don't want to know you anymore.

Hard pill to swallow, but life goes on.
Old 24th March 2021, 19:07     #803
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
wow, you deliberately misrepresented my statement. But, then you are pretty disingenuous so it's not really surprising that you'd do that.

Where's the evidence that the show is racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
http://researcharchive.vuw.ac.nz/handle/10063/2458
This write up looks good, but there's no stats there so who could say?
There's a whole heap of information & stats here, page 51 has a section on the ethnicity of offenders on the show.

Quote:
Summary
Police Ten 7, in common with other international police-based reality shows (Oliver, 1994;2003; Oliver & Armstrong,1998; Doyle, 2003; Kooistra et al, 1998; Mastro & Robinson,2000) functions to present one construction of reality which closely resembles the known realities of policing in some limited aspects but which is not reflective of reality in many others. Key findings presented in this chapter were the disproportionate depictions of offence types which echoed the findings of similar international research (Entman, 1992; Oliver, 2003; Mastro & Robinson; 2000). There were significant differences in the character portrayals of various ethnicities, specifically an over-representation of non-white characters as offenders and an under-representation of non white characters as police. Furthermore, non-white offenders were commonly featured in crime stories which related to violent offending while white offenders were commonly featured in crime stories about drug and antisocial and traffic offending.
And LS is right, it's difficult to show racism to someone who still doesn't understand what racism is.
Old 24th March 2021, 19:23     #804
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus
Hmmm, so long as the amount of time spent on brown/white/other incidents is proportional I don't see it as an issue.

It has the potential to be racist sure.

Ok, reading the articles linked earlier... That is exactly what is happening.
Too many incidents shown involving brown people and not white people.

So, yeah racist.

Hmmm, the Shows producers are claiming that it is what they see when out with the patrols. And that it is an accurate representation.
So that therefore their show isn't racist its just reflecting society.

Maybe they do need to film more in areas which are less brown dominated. So their show reflects more of NZ than just South Auckland?
I do vaguely remember there being episodes based in Dunedin & central Otago. Or maybe that was motorway patrol or something.
Old 25th March 2021, 06:35     #805
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I do vaguely remember there being episodes based in Dunedin & central Otago. Or maybe that was motorway patrol or something.
Skinhead through green fence was ChCh.
Old 25th March 2021, 09:22     #806
StN
I have detailed files

Least significant bit stuck on.

Gollyville

Took a year to make - this shit didn't fly a year ago, let alone now - why was she surprised when someone complained?
Old 25th March 2021, 09:42     #807
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
And LS is right, it's difficult to show racism to someone who still doesn't understand what racism is.
I'm sorry that you feel compelled to judge people by the colour of their skin. That is pretty terrible. I don't and never will. I judge people based on their character.

Thanks for the intel re: that report. I could only view the abstract. It's still very qualitative.
Old 25th March 2021, 10:33     #808
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
under-representation of non white characters as police
this is interesting. If the makers of the TV show only sent camera crews along with Pakeha cops and never with brown cops, that would be... problematic. IF.
Old 25th March 2021, 11:27     #809
StN
I have detailed files

I don't watch it a lot, but I do remember instances of Asian officers attending calls (to the point of me thinking "Cool, diversity working"), and when it looks like a big white cop is in the picture, he usually turns out to have ta moko tattooed on his forearms.

Am I alone in this observation?

I even watched a documentary program just last night where there were two front line officers (albeit both white, but one possibly LGBTQ) being managed by a Sergeant Ruawai Maaka.
Old 25th March 2021, 11:32     #810
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

it's not ta moko when it's on whitey! #cancelled
Old 25th March 2021, 12:47     #811
Lightspeed

Rolling eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I'm sorry that you feel compelled to judge people by the colour of their skin. That is pretty terrible. I don't and never will. I judge people based on their character.
What you're saying is you're special. You're born and raised in a racist society, but you, you're exempt.

I mean, when I first started going to school and my parents told me that I shouldn't drink from the taps cause that's where Maoris drink from, I knew they were stupid. But to avoid picking up ALL the subtle racist messaging of our society. I'd have to be pretty fucking special.

Which I guess you think are you xor. How convenient for you.

Of course, even if I were special, I'd have to be a pretty smug cunt to go around telling people I'm sorry they're not special too.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 25th March 2021 at 12:48.
Old 25th March 2021, 12:50     #812
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Thanks for the intel re: that report. I could only view the abstract. It's still very qualitative.
That's just a word you've heard. You don't know what it means. Certainly you'll refuse to discuss the significance of qualitative research. The most you've demonstrated you're willing to do is point to the dictionary, sealion for the rest.

Maybe an attempt at doxxing when you start to melt down. Because your ego is so weak, you need to find a way to get your own back when you feel you've lost.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 25th March 2021 at 12:51.
Old 25th March 2021, 13:09     #813
xor

Quote:
I mean, when I first started going to school and my parents told me that I shouldn't drink from the taps cause that's where Maoris drink from
That explains a lot. I'm sorry you had ignorant/racist parents.

I doxxed you because you are in fact, racist. You used the N bomb, you make negative references to Jews in your posts. Your behaviour is that of the pedophile evangelist that espouses hate toward homosexuals and is then busted in Thailand with an 11 year old boy.

I hope you find the help you need, mate.
Old 25th March 2021, 13:21     #814
Lightspeed

Oh yes, poor me, a rare case of growing up with racist parents in an country whose government was founded by a totally not racist English colony.

If only I were special like xor, then I could laugh at Maoris too.

Funny how you describe a reaction formation, but would totally reject the model of human behaviour the concept comes from cause it's only qualitative science.
Old 25th March 2021, 13:24     #815
Lightspeed

You're attempting to dox me because you want to win and feel like you're losing.

But I am no one and no one cares who I am, and your feelings of being a loser aren't going to go away so easily in any case.
Old 25th March 2021, 13:34     #816
xor

You'll be ok mate. Hang in there
Old 25th March 2021, 13:49     #817
Lightspeed

Well, there we have it. xor's case for why Maoris are laughable when they complain about racism but have racial prejudice of their own.

*sigh* If only I were better than other people, I'd get to laugh at them as well.
Old 25th March 2021, 15:18     #818
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

OK let's get this thread back on track!

Richard Stallman returns to the FSF because he's a super sperg, gets cancelled because he's a super sperg, and doesn't give a shit because he's a super sperg!

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ire-fsf-board/
Old 25th March 2021, 22:52     #819
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

“If RMS hits on you, just say ‘I’m a vi user’ even if it’s not true.”

lol.
Old 26th March 2021, 18:51     #820
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Stay safe NZG fam, those comic and game action figures can cause "psychological damage" if you see them.

https://kotaku.com/australian-govern...-st-1846541409
Old 26th March 2021, 19:18     #821
Lightspeed

I heard Dungeons & Dragons was also spooky.
Old 27th March 2021, 20:09     #822
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Lesbian activist group banned from Pride Festival

goddamn vagina fetishists
Old 28th March 2021, 00:24     #823
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Crushed by the patriarchy in drag.
Old 28th March 2021, 08:14     #824
crocos

Not sure that one is under the "PC gone mad" banner so much as the shitty political infighting that infests the Pride festival in NZ and has done for years.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 30th March 2021, 00:11     #825
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
OK let's get this thread back on track!

Richard Stallman returns to the FSF because he's a super sperg, gets cancelled because he's a super sperg, and doesn't give a shit because he's a super sperg!

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ire-fsf-board/
All the reasons why the most influential computer scientist of the 20th and 21st centuries is cancelled:

https://rms-open-letter.github.io/appendix
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:29     #826
wazza
*flex*

o_O

Eric Weinstein on The Power Structure of Harvard Burying His Work
Old 14th April 2021, 11:02     #827
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Academic analysis of Sudanese-immigrant crime is racist

https://www.smh.com.au/national/indi...13-p57iud.html

Multiple levels of cringe to unpack in this one.
Old 21st April 2021, 14:01     #828
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Richard Dawkins has been cancelled for observing that the observation “women aren’t men” can get one cancelled
Old 21st April 2021, 14:42     #829
fixed_truth

More like "transmen aren't men". Speech of which that has a social & historical context of hate & violence.
Old 21st April 2021, 16:31     #830
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Read what I posted.
Old 21st April 2021, 18:21     #831
fixed_truth

I think we're talking about the tweet where he likens a white woman identifying as black to being transgender.
Old 21st April 2021, 21:06     #832
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

If transwomen are women, would you have any problem dating/fucking one?
Old 21st April 2021, 22:44     #833
fixed_truth

Whether I want to have sex with someone or not doesn't define their gender. Though I suppose I have a genital preference regardless of gender. If a transwoman was physically indistinguishable from a cis woman I would probably still be held back by mental conflict arrising from the internalization of my generations views about gender, sex & sexuality.
Old 22nd April 2021, 09:59     #834
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
If transwomen are women, would you have any problem dating/fucking one?
cmon man, how is that relevant to what we're talking about?
Old 23rd April 2021, 15:54     #835
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Steven Pinker weighs in

https://twitter.com/sapinker/status/...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Old 26th April 2021, 15:15     #836
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
A presentation by a council worker at a public school near Melbourne left students flabbergasted and parents incensed, after white boys who held Christian beliefs were reportedly told they were “oppressors” by default.

The incident allegedly took place at Parkdale Secondary College in a beachside suburb of Melbourne, Australia, last week, but was first reported by the Sunday Herald on Sunday.

The paper reported that the Kingston Youth Services worker was giving a presentation about “privilege, pronouns and “intersectionality”’ to year-11 students last Wednesday. As part of the presentation, the unnamed female worker told teens who considered themselves to be “male,” “white” and “Christian” to stand up and then chastised them for being the well-off class, reportedly labeling them as “oppressors.”

https://www.rt.com/news/522049-white...essors-school/
Old 18th May 2021, 15:29     #837
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Omg, sanity

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/125...nsphobic-books

Quote:
Auckland Council libraries have stated there is no plan to pull two “transphobic” books which describe being transgender as a mental illness, despite complaints.

Em, a transgender, non-binary Aucklander, said they had emailed Auckland Libraries with concerns after they noticed the books were available to borrow from a number of locations.

“They refused to remove it from their shelves citing freedom of access to information.”

“I think it’s reprehensible Auckland Libraries are providing access to hate speech while hiding under the cover of free speech.”
Hey Em, get fucked.
Old 15th June 2021, 11:43     #838
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Left eats itself, cont. When snowflakes try to activist:

https://flip.it/fM7iRM

Quote:
The Auckland chapter of the international youth climate action group School Strike 4 Climate has admitted it is racist and is disbanding itself.

In a statement at the weekend, School Strike 4 Climate Auckland said it had been a "racist, white-dominated space" and that it was dissolving the group.

“We apologise for the hurt, burnout, and trauma. We also apologise for the further trauma caused by our slow action to take responsibility.

"We recognise that this apology can never be enough to make up for our actions on top of years of systemic and systematic oppression, racism, and the silencing of those who are the most affected by climate change.“
Old 15th June 2021, 15:39     #839
Lightspeed

If we're indulging that paradigm I still think the strive for coherent principals on the left are going hold up against the right's focus on pure resiliency.

There have definitely been some short term successes for the right. But all the while it's rotting from the centre. There's no way the right doesn't collapse in on itself.
Old 16th June 2021, 15:02     #840
fixed_truth

As long as they get they can still get behind the cause another way then it just looks like a way to facilitate more indigenous voices up front.

I actually think it's better than the usual boomer false apology then back to the status quo.

Also this woke, LGBTQ, check your privilege movement is a generational change that us old dudes are gonna have to get used to.