Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Technology & Troubleshooting
User Name
Password

Old 21st June 2010, 14:04     #2161
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
Im running iOS4 on my 3g, jailbroken to enable 3gS features (wallpaper and multitasking - cue bites being a faggot ). The multitasking is pretty smooth, and having lots of apps open doesnt seem to slow down the device.

If anything, it seems faster and snappier. Very much looking foward to getting a nice speed increase and improved display with the iphone4 now. iOS4 looks and feels good all round
I love how you keep focusing on me like I designed your OS's limitations and failings. Only thing I've done is point out how terrible your arguement was .. and each time you failed to merit any real retort .... still ...

Poor bubbi ... did someone take the wheels off your toy?

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 21st June 2010 at 14:06.
Old 21st June 2010, 14:10     #2162
Bandalador

Seriously, why don't you two fags just have rough sex and be done with it?
Old 21st June 2010, 14:19     #2163
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Sorry pie, but when I see "snappier" in a review of a product update I turn off
Fair call. It seems comparable to "a small economical engine, with enough power to still be peppy around town".

Ok so maybe not 'snappier', but the animation for switching between apps nicely masks the/any delay present in the change.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:39     #2164
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalador
When's iOS 4 coming out over iTunes? Today some time right?

5pm our time.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:10     #2165
Bandalador

Cheers.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:23     #2166
PhX

Quote:
Im running iOS4 on my 3g, jailbroken to enable 3gS features (wallpaper and multitasking - cue bites being a faggot ). The multitasking is pretty smooth, and having lots of apps open doesnt seem to slow down the device.

If anything, it seems faster and snappier. Very much looking foward to getting a nice speed increase and improved display with the iphone4 now. iOS4 looks and feels good all round
I too mucked around with that all weekend and it made my 3g crawl! Not only that (and i need to give it some time) but the way it handled the multi tasking just seemed wrong, the switcher is pretty smooth but you can get a jailbroken version of it and actually use backgrounder. Overall I tried to go back to 3.1.3 as Lockinfo doesnt work and i fucken love Lockinfo to death but my downgrade keep doing some weird stuff so just gave up and stuck with 4.0. I wish there was a pro-version of the multi-tasking that gave you more or quicker control over closing apps (i know that most people dont care and perhaps with 512mbs of ram on the iphone4 you wont really have too) but having to tap and hold to bring up the 'remove' app '-' is a pain.

Unified inbox's/threaded makes up for it and imho this is the key feature of 4.0 that makes me happy, ive always had background but have never used it much aside from sinking my nav app in the background (tomtom doesnt work on 4.0 yet either). End of the story a good jailbroken 3.1.3 can do almost everything that 4.0 does. 4.0 does as you said feel snappier but I'm sure they have simply adjusted the timing of the animations. Jailbreaking is so easy and so quick I find it hard to think why people with unlocked phones dont do it, sure a few apps are memory sinks but the good ones make the phone so much more productive!

O other cool thing which is actually useful is that googlemaps now has the gps thing actually lock and center on your position as you walk (drive if u dont have sat nav.... get that waze app) around. There is also email photo compression which can help, backgrounds native is ok but had that for ages (a changer would have been nice, but at least home and lock can be different). Apple failing to use the lockscreen is still a dumb move, im sure their delays in releasing features will see this probably come out for iphone5 (3gs NON compatible for no reason at all im guessing).
Old 21st June 2010, 17:26     #2167
PhX

In a summary - Worth upgrading, wont blow your load even though you want it too.
Old 21st June 2010, 18:36     #2168
mpx

I still have no option to upgrade
Old 21st June 2010, 19:01     #2169
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

/hammering update button

WHAT DO YOU MEAN VERSION 3.1.3 IS THE CURRENT VERSION!
Old 21st June 2010, 19:14     #2170
mpx

http://www.techwarelabs.com/apple-an...4-launch-time/

Nine hours to go?
Old 21st June 2010, 19:36     #2171
Bandalador

Fuckin' liar.
I believe nothing.
Old 22nd June 2010, 07:32     #2172
Bandalador

Looks like you were right.
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:26     #2173
Juju
get to da choppa

Serves me right for believing tweeters. "It'll come out at 10am PDT!" ... fuck off it did.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:03     #2174
p01s0n

ok so telecom have got two android phones, one handset which i'm going to call 'the LG-Awful' and the 'saved motorola from liquidation' aka 'milestone'.

The milestone is yet to be released in store, but will be launched early next month. The milestone is not a bad phone, even for android.

So why oh why would you release a video to speak the praises of android and use the LG-awful for your promo model
http://www.hubcommunity.co.nz/product-review/

I think my favorite part is the video editing to hide how slow the device is. sliding out the keyboard and the display does not change to landscape, cut to close up of phone, now in landscape. The awkward silence while it zooms in on google maps is pretty amusing also, as is when he needs to tap a button on the display 2-3 times to get it to register.

Without mentioning it, the video clearly pitches the pro's of android being that its 'not the iphone'

Including such choice quotes as
"anyone developer can write applications for android, so you get a massive selection of apps to choose from, rather than having to choose from a limited app store. In fact, there are over sixty thousand applications to choose from!"

good job telecom, that app store is pretty limited with more than 3 times the library of your quoted figure.

Additionally, an excellent way to sell your smartphone might be to mention how it lacks features that most businesses would want in a smartphone. Things like battery life, display size and processing power.

I support the idea of current gen smart phones being released in NZ, and I accept that means android devices, because lets face it - only one device can run iOS4 and android is a more appealing alternative than windows-fucking-mobile or symbian.

This video strikes me as the wrong way to sell android as a platform though.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:11     #2175
mpx

With the way my battery drains now on a 3GS I think I preferred 3.2.3 to ios4. Multitasking is annoying. They could have done it so much better. I do love the grouping of similar apps though. Went from 3 pages to one with that. A background is nice but not fantastic. Multitasking though, meh. Could have lived without it to be honest. I don't like how I have to close an app, then double click home just to open the tab to close it properly. Unless there is another way?

And again, battery life, though not confirmed seems really, really bad.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:15     #2176
p01s0n

I'm pretty when you close out of an app, its more of a 'recently opened' apps. They arn't actually running in the background.
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:30     #2177
PhX

Quote:
I'm pretty when you close out of an app, its more of a 'recently opened' apps. They arn't actually running in the background.
From what I gather though it basically keeps recent apps in a sleep state until you RUN OUT OF MEMORY, the old argument 'if you got it use' comes in to play but didnt windows try this with vista and it sucked balls then?

Ive re-enabled multi-tasking as backgrounder off cydia is not working for me atm, will give apps shot anther go but its good to know you can disable with all of 3 minutes, an iphone cord, and a computer.

Spell checking yay!
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:32     #2178
PhX

Anyone using PingChat!2 ? Loving it, free msgn to mates in the uk is well good. Anything better than it?
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:25     #2179
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
I think my favorite part is the video editing to hide how slow the device is. sliding out the keyboard and the display does not change to landscape, cut to close up of phone, now in landscape. The awkward silence while it zooms in on google maps is pretty amusing also, as is when he needs to tap a button on the display 2-3 times to get it to register.

I would consider myself an iPhone fanboi, so I don't really have much of an interet in android - but jesus your blinkers are on way too tight.

Twice in that video, it clearly showed him sliding the keyboard out, and it switching to landscape mode in good time - all in the same shot.
The zooming in with google maps wasn't slow - he was pressing a button to zoom in one step at a time. It was no slower than what my iPhone does it in.
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:55     #2180
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Fuck, the Ios4 update seems to have hosed my phone.
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:56     #2181
Rocket

HAHAH 4 hour update for what? an absolute joke, threaded mail and sort photos,and wow now you have folders. what next? video calling? welcome to 2000 almost laughable.
Old 22nd June 2010, 13:07     #2182
Bandalador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Fuck, the Ios4 update seems to have hosed my phone.
How so?

Rocket man, 4 Hour? What's that about? You care way too fucking much about what phone other people use.
Old 22nd June 2010, 13:20     #2183
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Erk - problem seems resolved. Not sure of the cause, think it was an Itunes problem, it kept restoring the phone to factory defaults and then the installer would bomb out leaving the phone in a blank unactivated state.

I utilised an extremely obscure and complicated technical fix (I closed and restarted Itunes) and now everything seems to be going fine.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:14     #2184
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well, on my Iphone 3G IOS4 is practically indistinguishable from IphoneOS 3 thanks to the memory restriction. Other than the OS X dock effect, I have to look closely to find something different.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:31     #2185
^BITES^

"limited app store" .. was a reference to the fact you can't just publish anything unless unky jobbs says its ok ... that would be "limited" by him, it doesnt say "has more apps than the iphone store ... "...derp derp!!! ... its pretty pitiful the lengths your trying to going to, to prove your already lost point ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
I would consider myself an iPhone fanboi, so I don't really have much of an interet in android - but jesus your blinkers are on way too tight.
Honestly don't bother with poison .... his mx5 driving koolaide chugging head is so firmly up his ass hes convinced he smells fairy dust from the archangel Steve!

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:45     #2186
Bent

So, I've just updated FRF72. It's a bit faster, less battery hungry and fixes a few annoying bugs (power button sensitivity is the best fix).
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:46     #2187
Yoda

iOS4 let you use custom sms/message alerts yet?
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:26     #2188
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent
So, I've just updated FRF72. It's a bit faster, less battery hungry and fixes a few annoying bugs (power button sensitivity is the best fix).
I just put FRF72 on mine today too. Wasn't having a problem with the power button thing myself but know someone who is, apparently the update hasn't helped his one.

What other fixes have you noticed? I haven't really spotted anything different from FRF50 yet.
Old 22nd June 2010, 18:43     #2189
Noodles
Wireless Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
iOS4 let you use custom sms/message alerts yet?
Nope
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:40     #2190
[BT]Monza

A painless and quick (less than 10 minutes) update to iOS 4 on my 3GS. Folders are a god send after just maxing my 11 pages last week. The smoke and mirrors multitasking works well so far...
Old 22nd June 2010, 19:57     #2191
BWDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BT]Monza
A painless and quick (less than 10 minutes) update to iOS 4 on my 3GS. Folders are a god send after just maxing my 11 pages last week. The smoke and mirrors multitasking works well so far...
Same here 15mins tops..

All going great
Old 22nd June 2010, 20:25     #2192
mpx

Yeah I'm not sure where that "4 hours" came from, mine was just over five minutes.

I love how fast the camera takes pictures now, just not keen on how they did the whole multitasking thing. Aside from that, pretty damn sweet.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:23     #2193
Bandalador

I think it's going to take time for the multi tasking thing to become useful.
Isn't it dependent on the app being specifically updated to run in the background? That's what I remember from the keynote anyway and I'm assuming that not many apps are updated for that function yet.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:27     #2194
::Shocker

My third gen 32GB Touch updated in less than 10 minutes. OTOH, my second gen 8GB Touch took ~3 hours. So yeah, something funky's going on with the older hardware.
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:30     #2195
::Shocker

Heh, Plants vs Zombies was just updated for iOS4. You can switch apps mid-game and when you switch back it'll take you right back to where you were. Pretty seamless.
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:58     #2196
[BT]Monza

I'm finding basic apps work well with the pause state thingy, go away and come back via the dock and back to where you were. Games, even though they get put in the dock, when you click the icon to come back reload from scratch, which is a good thing with memory heavy games like SFIV etc.
Old 23rd June 2010, 00:39     #2197
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
HAHAH 4 hour update for what? an absolute joke, threaded mail and sort photos,and wow now you have folders. what next? video calling? welcome to 2000 almost laughable.
Had to update OS on a 9700 Bold today. Fairly painless but took about twice as long as iPhone update, spent about 15 minutes staring at below screen. I do like how I can choose exactly what databases I can backup before hand.

Old 23rd June 2010, 01:24     #2198
BaM
Freeloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandalador
Isn't it dependent on the app being specifically updated to run in the background? That's what I remember from the keynote anyway and I'm assuming that not many apps are updated for that function yet.
This seems to be the case. The ebook reader I use was taking a noticeable time to load the page I was last reading after being backgrounded (it was starting on a blank page and then loading the doc), but after an update to the "ios4 tested" version it's already where it should be in the book as the app comes to the foreground. Other apps that haven't been updated yet, like iSSH, just fall off everything when backgrounded and lose all your sessions. If there's a Skype update that lets it stay connected in the background, I'll be extremely happy.
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:34     #2199
p01s0n

wallpapers enables a new twist on a classic prank
Old 23rd June 2010, 11:38     #2200
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Argh, the one feature I wanted the most - orientation lock - doesn't work on an Iphone 3G