Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 27th February 2019, 10:09     #4761
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
far more sensible to just kick the tenants out, lock the door, save on renovations, avoid penalties, and watchthevalue of the derelict empty property continue to skyrocket.
Is it though? What's going to pay the mortgage on said property?

Oh, it's mortgage free? Then they are earning 10's of thousands per year in rent, I think they can afford a $5k heatpump.
Old 28th February 2019, 18:21     #4762
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
#smollett

Ellen Page: it doesn't matter if Jussie Smollett made it all up or not, marginalisation is real and as a famous white American moviestar millionaire let me lecture you about it

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...column-1191006
Old 28th February 2019, 18:43     #4763
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
Is it though? What's going to pay the mortgage on said property?

Oh, it's mortgage free? Then they are earning 10's of thousands per year in rent, I think they can afford a $5k heatpump.
And if it's not mortgage free? Then the rent earnings go to the mortgage. Also, the rent earnings get taxed.
Old 28th February 2019, 20:40     #4764
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
And if it's not mortgage free? Then the rent earnings go to the mortgage. Also, the rent earnings get taxed.
So add on $5k to the mortgage if they're that much of a broke ass. The house they provide needs to be fit for purpose.
Old 1st March 2019, 09:10     #4765
CCS
Stunt Pants

Never said it doesn't need to be fit for purpose. But govts can keep deciding on new benchmarks for what constitutes fit for purpose. People have this idea that owners of rental properties are some kind of fat-cat tycoons.

Also, that $5k will come at least partially from a rent increase.
Old 1st March 2019, 10:11     #4766
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
My argument was in response to Ab's vacate the house & reap capital gains situation.

The gubbernment announced the rental home insulation mandate in 2016. If someone bought an un-insulated property for investment purposes after that time, then it's all on them. They should be getting no sympathy.

If someone already had an un-insulated investment property before 2016, then there property already has gained a solid 10% in capital gains and a solid $50 per week in rent increases since 2016, so as DrT said.. extend the mortgage.
Old 1st March 2019, 11:09     #4767
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, conceded.
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:45     #4768
fixed_truth

A.I. may replace most of today's jobs, but this start-up investor sees global GDP increasing 50 percent a year within decades

Quote:
"There is in some true sense right now — we don't have nearly enough people for all the jobs," Altman said. "It'd be great if every student had an individual teacher. It would be great if every time you go into a doctor's office you'd never be waiting. I do think we'll see a lot more jobs like that. Sort of human to human jobs."
I hope it does go this way.
Old 2nd March 2019, 18:16     #4769
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Reserve Bank of New Zealand proposes raising the minimum capital levels of banks from 10.5% to 18%

Sounds good to me
Old 2nd March 2019, 20:51     #4770
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So it turns out that there's no Santa Claus. In other news, Justin Trudeau has been revealed to be just another corrupt politician.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...andal-canadian
Old 3rd March 2019, 14:54     #4771
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Oh and Israel killing children, disabled, medics, journalists, but don't be anti-semitic!
Old 4th March 2019, 12:23     #4772
pxpx

Why are we having a referendum in 2020 to legalise cannabis, when 5 years later we're going to be smokefree?
Old 4th March 2019, 12:37     #4773
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Why are we having a referendum in 2020 to legalise cannabis, when 5 years later we're going to be smokefree?
Smokefree Aotearoa 2020 was the vision of the Quitline when I worked there in 2008.

It'll just get pushed out again.
Old 4th March 2019, 13:49     #4774
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Because smokefree is about eliminating tobacco and ganja free is about allowing marijuana?

We're not eliminating fine particle emissions with smokefree, it's specifically targeting the very expensive, unhealthy addiction of smoking tobacco.

A referendum on cannabis is to update our drug laws to stop making criminals out of people who just want to relax with a joint, rather than sip the poison we all love to deny we are addicted to.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:29     #4775
fixed_truth

Class action: Thousands of students to march over climate change
Old 19th March 2019, 12:15     #4776
pxpx

Shane Jones is so confusing.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12213830

"It's positive. Obviously, it's an addition to New Zealand tourism infrastructure, taking a lot of low-value forest wasteland and converting it to a higher-use and enabling tangata whenua to try to realise some of their settlement assets," Jones said of the twin-course plans."

"low-value forest wasteland"

"forest wasteland"

come again?
Old 19th March 2019, 13:47     #4777
Lightspeed

Shane Jones is a wasteland.
Old 19th March 2019, 17:08     #4778
StN
I have detailed files

Oh come on - he pulls his weight!
Old 19th March 2019, 17:31     #4779
Nich

My aunty is Mangawhai local and is fighting this hard because the golf course has dammed up rivers that are critical feeding ground for fairy terns endemic to the area. The fish cannot swim up the dam, so no breeding, no food source. Fairy terns are at risk of extinction.
Old 21st March 2019, 10:53     #4780
pxpx

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12214799

Here we go.

"A senior Auckland doctor has been immediately stood down pending an investigation by his employer into vile anti-Islamic rants which were posted on the right-wing blog Whale Oil."

"it appears that [the doctor] made these comments two years ago in response to an international incident"

I don't agree with what the doctor is saying, but this just reeks of leftie outrage censorship.
Old 21st March 2019, 11:03     #4781
StN
I have detailed files

Thanks Forrest Hill Motors!
Old 21st March 2019, 11:29     #4782
BoyWonder

So if you want someone stood down pending an investigation, you just need to contact the Herald "in disgust". Good to know.
Old 21st March 2019, 17:35     #4783
Lightspeed

Question

So is it leftie outrage, or the NZH mimicking leftie outrage?
Old 21st March 2019, 18:09     #4784
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

We're at the point where everything is so meta now I can't keep up. I don't even know if nutbag was a white supremacist or just mimicing a white supremacist for the lulz.
Old 21st March 2019, 18:24     #4785
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
So is it leftie outrage, or the NZH mimicking leftie outrage?
Who knows anymore
Old 22nd March 2019, 13:21     #4786
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
We're at the point where everything is so meta now I can't keep up. I don't even know if nutbag was a white supremacist or just mimicing a white supremacist for the lulz.
Too true. He was probably just a fucked up troll that took it from Online to RL
Old 22nd March 2019, 16:35     #4787
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
In times like this I look to Popehat's rule of Goats: even if you say you're only fucking goats ironically, you're still a goatfucker.
Old 23rd March 2019, 00:21     #4788
Lightspeed

In a sense, absolutely. However it's much more worrying if people are acting out of pure nihilism than twisted ideology. You can expose flaw ideologies for what they are. But what fucks does a nihilist give?
Old 23rd March 2019, 23:58     #4789
Lightspeed

If New Zealand really wants to make a change, we might want to consider increasing pressure on China over the Uyghur Muslims and other minorities being held in concentration camps for "re-education".

Quote:
China hasn’t been happy about calls to explain and has been slow to respond to media queries. But publicly they have stated they want to re-educate the Uyghur community on all things Chinese, including speaking the language. It also says that their camps are for re-education and training as well as reducing any chance of radical Islamist terror attacks.

But Amnesty International community manager, Margaret Taylor, has a different view.

“Up to 1,000,000 of those people are held in transformation through education centres but actually they are detention centres – it’s really alarming. In those centres, at best they will be brainwashed but at worst they will be tortured, but there’s a real possibility of death.”
Quote:
In August this year, the United Nations said it was ‘alarmed’ by reports of possibly a million Uyghurs and other minorities from the region being held in what China calls re-education camps. There is also credible satellite footage of these areas that show clearly the camps have been set up under tight security.
Old 4th April 2019, 01:53     #4790
Lightspeed

West Coast rubbish wash-out could be biggest eco-disaster since Rena spill - Forest and Bird

Sounds like the government has been slow off the mark responding to this. I get they've got a few things to juggle right now, but I'm not sure what the Minister for Conservation's got tying them up.

Of course, when it comes to climate change "slow off the mark" doesn't begin to cover it...
Old 4th April 2019, 15:17     #4791
Lightspeed

Aww noes, censorship!

Breach upheld over Kiwi talkback host Heather du Plessis-Allan's Pacific leeches comments

Seriously though, here we have an example of a context where a person cannot say whatever they like without consequence.

Is this it? Are our hands otherwise tied? Does this go too far already?
Old 4th April 2019, 15:40     #4792
pxpx

"It noted the public condemnation of Ms du Plessis-Allan and acknowledged the Authority's responsibility to reflect the values and attitudes of New Zealand."

There's the main problem. So-called public condemnation.
Old 4th April 2019, 15:46     #4793
Lightspeed

Fair, it's not something we accurately measure, we just notice the loudest voices.
Old 4th April 2019, 15:57     #4794
Lightspeed

And in fact, we don't even know if they're our voices in all cases, where opinion is communicated via or regurgitated from the Internet.
Old 4th April 2019, 20:15     #4795
fixed_truth

Good. Hopefully she thinks before speaking next time.
Old 4th April 2019, 23:12     #4796
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If “public condemnation” = “things I read on Facebook”, choke yourself
Old 5th April 2019, 13:20     #4797
Lightspeed

Very angry

Fiji arrest experience was 'bizarre' - Newsroom editor Mark Jennings

Quote:
The trio were then taken to Fijian Prime Minister Frank Bainimarama under guard. He also apologised and they were then released.
That's right motherfucker.
Old 5th April 2019, 13:32     #4798
Lightspeed

Australian blogger is bringing her controversial anti-vax tour to New Zealand

Excellent. Her foolish ideas will be exposed to the light and people will start vaccinating their kids again.

That's how it works, right?
Old 7th April 2019, 15:58     #4799
fixed_truth

Climate change denial comes to mind also.

I wonder if tested a fact finder would consider this type of speech crosses some legal threshold where it needs to be restricted to protect public health?
Old 8th April 2019, 09:40     #4800
xor

It would come under as a public health issue I would think.

re: freedoms of speech. Hasn't Christopher Hitchens gone over this time and time again? He used the example of David Irving in one of his debates about the need to have free speech despite about abhorrent it might be.