Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 14th July 2021, 00:27     #5321
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Nah, I'd say that as dictionaries continually revise to better reflect how language is used in society then this group won't like them.
We might end up in a situation in which the common use of the word has a different meaning from the scientific use. Like the word "theory".

Edit update:
Then again, for nouns like "woman", we already kinda do. To the question "are trans women women" the answer "in a social sense it's possible, but in the literal sense no" is perfectly sensible.
Old 14th July 2021, 03:19     #5322
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Nah, I'd say that as dictionaries continually revise to better reflect how language is used in society then this group won't like them.
The only experience I actually have with dictionaries these days is when some article comes out saying what words have been added, as though that's supposed to make me buy one or something.

Dictionaries can fuck off.
Old 14th July 2021, 11:05     #5323
Lightspeed

But surely all will collapse is we don't have strict definitions for everything that everyone exactly abides by? Otherwise how will we communicate?!?1 /Italian Spiderman
Old 14th July 2021, 16:56     #5324
xor

ASB raises interest rates. Hope others follow. The house prices are so morbid.
Old 22nd July 2021, 13:45     #5325
Lightspeed

Pegasus: Who are the alleged victims of spyware targeting?

We'll call out China, but this kind of spying persists because our governments allow it. They're in on it. Sure, journalists might be getting killed, researchers muzzled. But it's worth it to have a view on those we want to... well, let's not admit what we want to do.
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:28     #5326
StN
I have detailed files

Hmm - no mention, but I always assumed the Bezos hack was Pegasus dropped on his phone after the Saudi Prince sent a malware infected WhatsApp message to him. Nekminnut, dick pics in the wild and a very rich ex-wife.
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:04     #5327
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Given the amount of money THE MACK is donating to charity, that hack will undoubtedly save thousands of lives. Net positive.
Old 22nd July 2021, 20:11     #5328
xor

Here's a tool that'll tell you if you've been popped or not
https://github.com/mvt-project/mvt
Old 26th July 2021, 13:42     #5329
Lightspeed

Tuilaepa admits defeat after Head of State's declaration

Finally! I was worrying the Pacific would be less one democracy.
Old 2nd August 2021, 21:27     #5330
xor

4.8% rent increases. #aroha
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:46     #5331
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
4.8% rent increases. #aroha
Quote:
expect house price inflation of 6.4% per year for the next two years

https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/03...g-catastrophe/

it's ok guys, Jacinda will do the frowny face on Facebook Live because that fixes everything
Old 3rd August 2021, 15:51     #5332
Lightspeed

National/Labour seem really bound by this issue, politically. Which begs the question will the voting public do the necessary thing, solving their problem by voting for the minor parties.

Of course, you have to wonder what kind of goofy policies we'd have to put up with to get housing moving in this way.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 3rd August 2021 at 15:52.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:59     #5333
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There is no difference between National and Labour on this issue. They both created the problem, both watched it grow, both don’t intend to fix it.
Old 5th August 2021, 03:31     #5334
Lightspeed

This could all blow up:

Two rockets from Lebanon hit Israel, drawing Israeli retaliation

Lebanon's virtually a failed state, who knows what might spring up there.
Old 5th August 2021, 15:32     #5335
Lightspeed

This is the kind of tinder that can spark bigger shit. Volatile, unpredictable cascading events.
Old 5th August 2021, 17:10     #5336
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
So has Wizard Spider dropped the clymidia records yet?
High Court stops RNZ from using further information stolen in Waikato DHB cyber attack
Old 6th August 2021, 00:44     #5337
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Um what

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/healt...nment-confirms
Old 8th August 2021, 15:53     #5338
Lightspeed

Rape culture, what would that even look like?

Accountability in question after MediaWorks review

Well, yeah, I suppose that could be it.

What's fascinating is, we'll work hard for free speech. But for the drunken 19 year old fucked in plain view by a senior member of the organisation that isn't allowed to be talked about, because of no accompanying legal process around the event, there's no concern about how to make such a person's voice heard. The voice of the volume of people who suffer similar circumstances, in the many money and influence wielding companies that you've got to be "cut out" to be a part of.

Literally these organisations function in part to lure in young people so they can get fucked by those on the levers of power.

With consent, why not? If you want a go at power and influence and you're up for all that, that's your business. But these organisations are adept sidestepping that little inconvenience, and no one else gives a fuck.

And then cause these motherfuckers literally speak into our homes day after day, they reinforce these kind of dynamics that play out our communities.

It's really hard to call out the behaviour of those well positioned to direct our attention.
Old 8th August 2021, 16:50     #5339
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Govt-owned media company thinks privately-owned competitor should be cancelled, in other news sky found to be blue
Old 8th August 2021, 17:07     #5340
Lightspeed

lolz, well that's one hot take.
Old 8th August 2021, 21:49     #5341
fixed_truth

That's fucked. Shit like that is why we need the meetoo & woke movements.
Old 9th August 2021, 12:18     #5342
xor

Radio is skeevy AF. Not surprised hearing the allegations come out about one DJ in particular. My wife was a student when one notorious radio personality gave a talk to her class of PR students. Said the person was creepy AF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed
What's fascinating is, we'll work hard for free speech. But for the drunken 19 year old fucked in plain view by a senior member of the organisation that isn't allowed to be talked about, because of no accompanying legal process around the event, there's no concern about how to make such a person's voice heard. The voice of the volume of people who suffer similar circumstances, in the many money and influence wielding companies that you've got to be "cut out" to be a part of.
Defamation is a thing. And yes, there are those who shield predators.

Quote:
It has done some good on certain levels. Heck, even looking back at TV interviews from Letterman or Russell Brand etc and how they say the shit they say and do. Humping a woman's leg on live TV or sniffing the hair of a 17 year old pop star is denigrating AF.
But, blocking off motorways and pulling people out of cars and assaulting motorists as a #woke tactic ain't gonna get you any friends with your movement. If Reginald Denny were alive today, he sure as shit wouldn't stop.
Old 9th August 2021, 12:31     #5343
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Defamation is a thing. And yes, there are those who shield predators.
We can see what worries us more.

Quote:
But, blocking off motorways and pulling people out of cars and assaulting motorists as a #woke tactic ain't gonna get you any friends with your movement.
If I was using my media company to predate on young people, of those trying to stop me, I'd certainly be on the lookout for the worst examples of their behaviour to broadcast from my platform.
Old 12th August 2021, 07:23     #5344
StN
I have detailed files

Past use-by date

Pretty sure it's a use-by and not a best-before...

Mayor Shadbolt.

For a while, someone was trying to extract why he was no longer driving. I don't think we need to ask.
Old 12th August 2021, 12:01     #5345
fixed_truth

He's well past his BB but has something like $350000 legal fees debt from suing the council so he can't afford to step aside.
Old 12th August 2021, 12:12     #5346
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
I’m so old I remember Blizzard not being a cesspool.
Old 12th August 2021, 13:40     #5347
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Pretty sure it's a use-by and not a best-before...

Mayor Shadbolt.

For a while, someone was trying to extract why he was no longer driving. I don't think we need to ask.

There's to be a constant stream of stories about Shadbolt's shenanigans:

Mayor Shadbolt 'hoarding' personal items in council buildings

But he'll never lose an election it seems.

Similar problems across the country. Pretty sure our systems of local governance are what are well beyond use-by.
Old 12th August 2021, 23:12     #5348
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Surely exploiting a power differential like that to have sex with a teenager is worthy of police atten—

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...12-p58i69.html
Old 28th August 2021, 12:49     #5349
fixed_truth

Posting here to avoid spammage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
COVID-19 is committed to being a Te Tiriti-led pandemic moving forward
How we deliver healthcare should be Te Tiriti-led.

Associate Health Minister disappointed with vaccine uptake among Māori, admits system is racist

Quote:
Māori and Pasifika people had a lower life expectancy and were prone to disease at a younger age, which was a key point the Government should have taken into consideration, he said.
‘‘Because we started with the higher age groups, we just get less Māori in those groups by design.
‘‘It hasn’t taken into account that Māori will be more at risk at a younger age.
‘‘Māori are more likely to live in intergenerational households so therefore they’re more at risk of passing this on. This hasn’t really been taken into account in this process.’’
The more the heath system is Te Tiriti-led the less barriers to access services for Maori. When heath care systems are traditionally set up and run by the dominant culture based on their ideas, customs and social behaviour norms then logically that system will favour people from this majority group.
Old 28th August 2021, 15:47     #5350
blynk

Quote:
Posting here to avoid spammage

How we deliver healthcare should be Te Tiriti-led.

Associate Health Minister disappointed with vaccine uptake among Māori, admits system is racist

The more the heath system is Te Tiriti-led the less barriers to access services for Maori. When heath care systems are traditionally set up and run by the dominant culture based on their ideas, customs and social behaviour norms then logically that system will favour people from this majority group.
Holy shit, could you imagine the calls to talk back if the went with
Over 60s can get the vaccine, or over 50 if you are Maori or Pacific.
Old 2nd September 2021, 22:24     #5351
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Looks like the US is developing a healthcare system that is The Handmaid’s Tale led:

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/01/10332...t-happens-next
Old 3rd September 2021, 00:06     #5352
Lightspeed

Texas being Texas:

Texas parents accused a Black principal of promoting critical race theory. The district has now suspended him.
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:01     #5353
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Looks like the US is developing a healthcare system that is The Handmaid’s Tale led:

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/01/10332...t-happens-next
Old 3rd September 2021, 18:51     #5354
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Prediction: no one will blame this on Ruth Bader Ginsburg, even though it’s her fault.
Old 5th September 2021, 16:41     #5355
Lightspeed

China sowing the seeds of its own demise:

China to ban kids from playing online games for more than three hours per week

Also effeminate men are out as are fan clubs apparently.
Old 6th September 2021, 17:28     #5356
Lightspeed

I'm really looking forward to seeing how The Satanic Temple of Texas uses Texas Religious Liberty laws against recently introduced anti-abortion laws.
Old 6th September 2021, 18:00     #5357
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I'm really looking forward to seeing how The Satanic Temple of Texas uses Texas Religious Liberty laws against recently introduced anti-abortion laws.
It did look like a compelling argument! Leveraging the way Peyote can be used in ritual practices by native Americans as justification that Satanists should be allowed access to abortion pills - brilliant!
Old 7th September 2021, 19:49     #5358
Lightspeed

It's going to be interesting to see how all this plays out:

Bolsonaro is stoking a Capitol riot-style insurrection in Brazil that could happen as early as Tuesday, more than 20 ex-world leaders warn
Old 9th September 2021, 20:47     #5359
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
A Famiy Court judge has ruled that a traumatised and neglected Māori girl will remain in the care of her Pākehā foster parents, and has slammed Oranga Tamariki for putting ideology ahead of a child’s best interests.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/126...om-pkeh-couple
Is there anything Oranga Tamariki can't fuck up?
Old 9th September 2021, 21:58     #5360
crocos

I'm sure they do a lot of good work. Right? RIGHT??

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية