NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 3rd September 2022, 10:20     #81
Cyberbob

I'm trying to do something each month, but I wasn't happy enough with June or July to call them done. August's effort is simplistic but I'm at least happy with the fact that the chord progression was mostly on the midi controller itself and not clicking into boxes in Ableton's arrangement.

I don't know what i'm doing
Old 5th September 2022, 00:19     #82
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I took your track and used the beginning piano part, played it half speed and processed it. Plus samples from YouTube. I don't know how it became what it became, but it is what it is.

DrTiTus - We Don't Know What They're Doing

and a bonus Dirty Needles mix (hard house, starting with my stupid vaccine track)
Old 5th September 2022, 11:05     #83
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nice work you two!
Old 5th September 2022, 16:29     #84
Cyberbob

Good stuff, Dr T. I haven't had much luck weaving spoken words into my work yet. I've got some monologue I want to use but it's been too much like putting a square peg into a round hole. Maybe I'll work on it this month.
Old 7th September 2022, 20:03     #85
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Cool

I realize it's a "so what?" achievement, but that's the highest I've ranked before. I got 5th once a few years ago in some other genre.
Old 8th September 2022, 12:05     #86
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I realize it's a "so what?" achievement, but that's the highest I've ranked before. I got 5th once a few years ago in some other genre.
Old 10th September 2022, 08:10     #87
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I haven't had much luck weaving spoken words into my work yet.

https://getyarn.io/

You can search for text/quotes, and it gives you video snippets of source material containing that or similar phrases. Good for finding either samples from tracks you hear, or to get phrases that you want to use.
Old 29th September 2022, 15:14     #88
Cyberbob

I've gone and did a thing again. Started off with a bit of a funky beat, put in a terrible chord progression, and had a go at using a couple of fancy plugins to alter the sound.

Unclean

Main influences this month have been BT and Bad Snacks

Last edited by Cyberbob : 29th September 2022 at 15:18.
Old 30th September 2022, 06:20     #89
[Malks] Pixie

^^This is kinda cool - I actually like the "terrible chord progression", it's got that nice mix of being a little unexpected while still being catchy.

This is my latest output - it's a bit heavy on the syncopation and the mix is a little thin, will likely fix it when I do a proper release (mostly I think I stripped to much of the mid-range out, had lots of gunk in the 400Hz range). But beyond that been having some fun stretching vocals (which are all text to speech).

Dolphin Noir - Moments of Encoding & Decoding
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERcl...l=K1500Project
Old 5th October 2022, 23:13     #90
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

muh

DrTiTus - The Death Hour

The only thing keeping me sane right now is music, so I'm just mucking around making a soundtrack to life. Idiot grade.
Old 19th October 2022, 15:05     #91
Cyberbob

Ah shit he's gone and discovered synth.
I've been mucking around with some sounds inspired by Ex Machina, Annihilation, Bladerunner, Dredd, whoever has been doing Andor's end credit sequences, and a nod to an old PC game favorite of mine, OMF2097.

Nova

It takes a bit of a shift about half way through, to the point where I considered cutting it into two different tracks.
Keen to hear about what people think works or doesn't work. I'm still an absolute newbie with this sort of thing.
Old 19th October 2022, 15:08     #92
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

God isn’t the Ex Machina score good.
Old 19th October 2022, 15:12     #93
Cyberbob

100%. The guys behind it, Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow, also did Annihilation's score, and also wrote a score for Dredd which didn't end up getting used, but they still released it as DROKK which I've been listening to a lot.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 19th October 2022 at 15:14.
Old 19th October 2022, 17:19     #94
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Keen to hear about what people think works or doesn't work. I'm still an absolute newbie with this sort of thing.
I like it. It's very "soundtracky", so it would be good with a video [which is a lot of effort in itself], but it's definitely a "mood". I don't think there's anything that doesn't work. It is what it is.

Here's a metapop challenge with a video to score

You just download the video without sound, and they provide some samples, but because you're not doing the competition as such, you can do what you want. But it's good practice to line up your music with scenes, without bars at convenient multiples of a time unit. You don't have to of course, but it's got a similar vibe and it might be fun. I think I posted my attempt ages ago. It would be interesting to see what you come up with.
Old 23rd October 2022, 15:58     #95
Cyberbob

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at contests for inspiration, could be fun to enter a live one. I had a few hours yesterday so I've thrown this together for the one you linked. I ran out of patience trying to line things up, but it was a good exercise. I was playing the video in VLC, writing down timings I wanted to use, then created something in Ableton, and used Premiere to put the two together. Painful as heck workflow.
Old 30th November 2022, 07:20     #96
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Didn't sleep last night because... I just didn't.

Ages ago my one eared friend suggested that I remake my old Tetris song to see what I could do with it. The Tetris remix was the second song I ever made (or at least finished) in probably 1999, based on the notes I stole out of either a MIDI file or another MOD, and done in Impulse Tracker with shitty instruments and absolutely no idea what I was doing.

So I did a similar thing, except I went back to the source rather than the simplified game version - the Russian folk song Korobeiniki. Got the MIDI (I wasn't going to sit and try to transcribe it), and imported it into FL Studio and set about splitting it into parts, assigning instruments to it and adding some subtle orchestral drums where appropriate. Really it's someone else's song, so as much as I like it, the credit goes to the original composer.

Tetris - Revisited

Take out the _revisited part of the URL if you want to compare to my old one (lol).
Old 8th December 2022, 09:57     #97
Cyberbob

Still listening to a bucket load of Ben Salisbury and Geoff Barrow, so I've used the Devs soundtrack as inspiration for Novembers project, which has been more or less recreating some of their work.

Universal Persuit (Reimaging of The Universe is Deterministic by Ben Salisbury)

All Possible Worlds (Reimagining of All Possible Worlds by Ben Salisbury)

Corollary (Inspired by Aftermath by Ben Salisbury)

I just saw that the link to my earlier post's video was broken too, so here's that old one that was putting a track to an existing trailer: Native Orchestral Tools Trailer

Last edited by Cyberbob : 8th December 2022 at 09:59.
Old 10th December 2022, 09:49     #98
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I like the first one (Universal Persuit)
Old 1st February 2023, 20:14     #99
Cyberbob

Still a noob struggling to find time to work on improving. Created two tracks in January.

Origins

Andor
Old 9th February 2023, 04:00     #100
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Up late, Spotify entertaining me (I love the Song Radio option to find similar/related songs), and I came across Pokey LaFarge - Something in the Water. The original version doesn't have much bass, but it sounded like it could do with some more and I was having fun playing along, so I decided to hit record.

Pokey LaFarge - Something In The Water (Snow's Bass Version)
Old 31st May 2023, 21:24     #101
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Wacked

More awful sonic torture...

Great if you're whipping cream but ran out and can only find a balloon.

Iniko - Jericho (DrTiTus Breakstep Remix)
Old 18th August 2023, 12:46     #102
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Cunning

Hard house production leveled up

Secrets unlocked, learned the tricks and techniques from a tutorial, and now I present to you: DrTiTus - Total Control

* More layers of sounds working together (the chugging bass line was a revelation) - keep the percussion busy for high energy, it's not hip hop Snow, you can make it jarring
* Slice loops, pitch shift and rearrange instead of dismissing because the original pattern is shit (ie treat loops as sources of one shots, don't expect to use them "as is", mangle it)
* Dirty synth patches remade in Serum (super saws - saw waves with stacked unison for some, and PWM square waves for others), and genuine hoovers for authenticity
* Parametric EQ to bring out the aspects of synths you want more/less of, and exaggerate/automate frequency for effect - don't just rely on filter sweeps
* But also rely on filter sweeps

It only took me about 15 years to eventually learn, and even though hard house isn't even cool anymore, I still love it. Obligatory "doomed" sample of central bank monetary policy to make it current :P

FL + Serum + Vengeance Club Essential sample packs. <3

I'm getting there...
Old 18th August 2023, 12:57     #103
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Hard house production leveled up

Secrets unlocked, learned the tricks and techniques from a tutorial, and now I present to you: DrTiTus - Total Control
This is a banger tbh. I would have gone hard to this while off my tits on all sorts of fun stuff back in the day
Old 18th August 2023, 13:58     #104
[Malks] Pixie

Nice DT (even if it's not really my genre) - really noticing each of the instruments have their own space and quite a bit more punch than your last stuff. Gotta get all those instruments in their frequency pockets!

I'd be curious to know do you run a separate mastering process or just do it all as part of your mix in your DAW?

What am I making? Well currently nothing as my laptop crashed hard - have a friend trying to get data off the hard drive. Unfortunately I've got 7 tracks of an album on there - figures that when I find my writing groove my technology dies.

So going to have to source a new machine (my replacement laptop is fine for work stuff but will in no way run Reaper).

Gah. (sorry maybe this should have been in the gear grinding thread instead)
Old 18th August 2023, 15:21     #105
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Cheers Savage I like it too - I've been in hiding trying to sort my life out, but I wanted to share this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
I'd be curious to know do you run a separate mastering process or just do it all as part of your mix in your DAW?
This hasn't been separately mixed or mastered - I haven't listened to it in the car yet, so I'll probably tweak things after that. My process is mainly just EQ and levels while making it, and adjusting the layers as I go in the DAW. I did slap a "FL Soundgoodizer" on the master [standard], but it's set quite low, so it's doing something but it's subtle rather than leaning on it to do all the work for me. I haven't even listened through my "monitoring headphones" yet, it's all been through my Logitech 2.1

Quote:
my laptop crashed hard - have a friend trying to get data off the hard drive. Unfortunately I've got 7 tracks of an album on there - figures that when I find my writing groove my technology dies.

So going to have to source a new machine (my replacement laptop is fine for work stuff but will in no way run Reaper).
Eeek. Is it a spinning disk or an SSD? With an SSD you probably can't even replace the controller board if you were desperate. Hopefully it's a corrupted filesystem rather than a dead drive. Gotta keep an eye on those SMART alerts. I don't think Windows does a good job of letting you know proactively, but Linux throws up messages in the logs.

I work on a machine with an SSD, but I save/copy all my data to a network drive [spinning disk], and then that drive is rsynced to a machine with a software RAID array [3 x spinning disk in RAID 5] which I kick off manually every now and then. I even have a 2TB MyCloud at my mate's place that has yet another copy of my original work that I can't replace by torrenting if my house burns down. It might be overkill and an inefficient use of disk space, but when it comes to copies of data, one is none. I lost my work early on, and I swore I'd never let it happen again. It sucks man. I feel your pain.

I've got spare desktops I could potentially donate to your cause if you don't want to spend money. I don't like laptops for music production - mobile CPUs are shite compared to desktop CPUs, they're made to be low power/thermal design, so they're usually pretty restricted. But I can understand if you want one computer to rule them all and you want something portable. What CPU was in your previous laptop that you were happy with? I've been wanting to get rid of some computers, and I wanted to find someone in need that will appreciate them. Looks like you're in need. At the very least I've got a very small and low power machine (~15W at the wall) you can put on your LAN and use as a network drive for backups.
Old 18th August 2023, 18:48     #106
wazza
*flex*

amazing track, gg. i echo savage's comment wholeheartedly. well done!
Old 11th March 2024, 13:29     #107
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

DrTiTus - Hierarchy Of Creation

From an audio book that ended up on my Youtube.