NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 19th November 2022, 08:35     #1321
xor
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Labour doesn't make the lunches
https://www.labour.org.nz/lunchesinschools

Quote:
Kids learn better with a full stomach. That's why we launched our Lunches in Schools programme, which is already providing free and healthy school lunches to thousands of children so they can focus on what's important - learning

Child poverty is a complex issue that's going to take time to fix, but one thing we can do straight away is to make sure kids get at least one decent meal a day.

We have already rolled out our programme to 31 schools, delivering free and healthy lunches to 7,000 children. We’ve deliberately targeted areas that will help inform how to work differently in different contexts – from big urban primary schools to small rural area schools.

By 2021, it’ll be rolled out to 120 schools and 20,000 students.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 10:54     #1322
fixed_truth
 
I'm not sure what your angle is on this one, I feel like you're jumping the gun.

The Govt. funds the program & schools can either make the lunches themselves or get them through approved suppliers.

Quote:
By August 2022, over 63 million lunches have been delivered in 950 schools and kura to over 220,000 learners.
An isolated example of a meal that didn't look very appetizing is hardly cause to get hysterical.
__________________
Protecting your peace is way more important than proving your point. Some people aren't open to cultivating their views. Just let them be wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 11:42     #1323
xor
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I'm not sure what your angle is on this one.
Simple, centralised state agencies are not capable helping people who most need the help.

There are plenty of other examples that have been published by the red media over the last year or so where mothers have complained that the school lunches not being fit for purpose. This isn't an isolated example.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 12:53     #1324
Lightspeed
 
Wacked

"The red media"?!

Looks like xor's another one fallen down the rabbit hole.
__________________
Stay shook. No sook.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 17:26     #1325
_indigo1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
... hysterical.
Is that word old enough that it gets a free pass from the anti-misogynist and/or transphobia brigade?

Like - is it past the statute of limitations?
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 17:29     #1326
Lightspeed
 
It depends on how disingenuous one is willing to be to make a point.

This whole thread is a great example of how people are willing to chase the most spurious of sources to assure themselves what they believe is true. That their fears are justified.
__________________
Stay shook. No sook.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 17:33     #1327
_indigo1
 
Wow that last sentence is like, turtles all the way down.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 17:41     #1328
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel
 
*moved*
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 18:00     #1329
Lightspeed
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
It depends on how disingenuous one is willing to be to make a point.

This whole thread is a great example of how people are willing to chase the most spurious of sources to assure themselves what they believe is true. That their fears are justified.
Referring to this thread:

https://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=87852
__________________
Stay shook. No sook.
  Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2022, 18:08     #1330
_indigo1
 
Yeah me calling out hysteria is a bit OTT in here too.
Was from PC gone mad thread.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2022, 12:11     #1331
Lightspeed
 
Thumbs up

This is a good one:

Property managers to be regulated


Quote:
Residential property managers will soon need to be registered, trained, and licensed under new rules unveiled this morning.

...

Woods said complaints about property managers would be dealt with through a new regulatory framework.

Given 42 percent of rentals were looked after by property managers, it was important to have regulations in place given the access they have to homes.

"Sometimes tenants are vulnerable to poor behaviour from residential property managers, especially in a tight rental market. Following our moves to give tenants more protection through the Residential Tenancies Act, we made a manifesto commitment in 2020 to regulate residential property managers."

"This means that like many other professions such as real estate agents, builders and lawyers, they will have conduct and competency standards to abide by and if they don't, they can be held to account."
__________________
Stay shook. No sook.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2022, 13:12     #1332
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel
 
Labour's gonna get slaughtered on the voting-age issue. The public overwhelmingly oppose a change.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2022, 13:23     #1333
Lightspeed
 
Which part will they be reamed over?

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...to-pass-ardern
__________________
Stay shook. No sook.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2022, 14:06     #1334
fixed_truth
 
Quite a smart political move. It's never gonna happen without National and so will mean that in they minds of young people they'll associate National as been a backward looking party which will resonate into adulthood.
__________________
Protecting your peace is way more important than proving your point. Some people aren't open to cultivating their views. Just let them be wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:34     #1335
BoyWonder
 
The discrimination ruling seems a strange launchpad for the campaign to make it 16. Surely it just moves the discrimination by 2 years? Doesn't it imply that there should be no age limit?
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2022, 17:43     #1336
fixed_truth
 
It moves the the discrimination by two years as it's unjustified. Afaik it hasn't said that discriminating people under 16 in the context of voting is unjustified.
__________________
Protecting your peace is way more important than proving your point. Some people aren't open to cultivating their views. Just let them be wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2022, 19:16     #1337
blynk
 
I assumed it was because under 16, you are a minor and require a guardian.
After 16 you can do whatever you like.

It only captures 2/3rds of people, because 1/3 will first vote when they are 18. And then take into account the small turnout you would have, and it wouldn't be much.
But maybe what they could start to do is have more education in schools around it. Have it part of a life skills curriculum including things like finance/budgeting.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2022, 19:17     #1338
blynk
 
I also believe most argument against them being able to vote could probably be turned around and argued that they apply to the elderly as well.

So if a 16-17 yo can't vote, then neither should a 80+ yo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:35     #1339
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
After 16 you can do whatever you like.
Except buy or sell alcohol, be responsible for maintenance jobs, hire a car, book a hotel, have a credit card, get a mortgage, get married without parents permission, sell your body for sex, etc. Generally enter into (or at least be held liable for) any contracts or be trusted to fully understand responsibility.

But yeah, pretty much 16 is like an adult except not. Therefore the electoral system is colonial oppression against our rangatahi.
__________________
Finger rolling rhythm, ride the horse one hand...

Last edited by DrTiTus : 22nd November 2022 at 20:38.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2022, 14:44     #1340
fixed_truth
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I also believe most argument against them being able to vote could probably be turned around and argued that they apply to the elderly as well.

So if a 16-17 yo can't vote, then neither should a 80+ yo.
Not just demented old people, if the antivax, voices for freedom conspiracy crowd can vote then the bar isn't very high.
__________________
Protecting your peace is way more important than proving your point. Some people aren't open to cultivating their views. Just let them be wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2022, 17:01     #1341
_indigo1
 
I think the lack of experience goes both ways for young voters.
On the one hand they don't have much experience with which to inform their decisions as older folk.

But on the other hand, they don't have as much experience to tribalise them and subvert rational decision making as older folk.

If competence to vote was what you were worried about - be it old, young, antivax/WEF crowd, or mentally challenged (does the former come under this), then a simple fix would be registering to vote require some kind of competency test.

However that would just tank voter turnout even more than it already is, and apart from that, who says your vote doesn't count just because you are less competent than someone else?
That becomes a slippery slope - where do you draw the cutoff? Only smart people can vote?

Last edited by _indigo1 : 23rd November 2022 at 17:04.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2022, 08:14     #1342
blynk
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Except buy or sell alcohol, be responsible for maintenance jobs, hire a car, book a hotel, have a credit card, get a mortgage, get married without parents permission, sell your body for sex, etc. Generally enter into (or at least be held liable for) any contracts or be trusted to fully understand responsibility.

But yeah, pretty much 16 is like an adult except not. Therefore the electoral system is colonial oppression against our rangatahi.
Things you listed restricted for personal safety
Buying alcohol
Selling body for sex
Getting married with out permission
The ability to sign contracts which are binding - includes the mortgage, credit card etc.

Renting a car - well that is probably because the earliest you can get a full licence is 17.5 (with a driving course)

But you can start driving at 16
You can leave school
You become an adult worker
Leave home
Decide on your own medical treatment
Apply for a gun license (although maybe that one should fall into the restricted category)

Your list of can'ts are very different to having the ability to vote in an election.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2022, 08:21     #1343
blynk
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
However that would just tank voter turnout even more than it already is, and apart from that, who says your vote doesn't count just because you are less competent than someone else?
That becomes a slippery slope - where do you draw the cutoff? Only smart people can vote?
Yeah, I have the same view about voting rights for prisoners.
Extreme example.
Prisoners can't vote, then the general population leans more to harsher penalties for crime. Laws change, more people go to prison. populations leans even more to harsher penalties. More laws change, more go to prison....

You then have a society where the littlest thing has a harsh penalty.
You have an extremely safe society though, because 50% of your population are in prison.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2022, 11:08     #1344
_indigo1
 
I think prisoners should be able to vote.
I find it grotesque taking away the vote as some sort of punishment - what other reason is there to take it away?

I also find it inconsistent and hypocritical.
Part of the social contract in our society is that to participate in society you follow the laws of society.
If you break those laws, then society imposes limits on your freedom both for punishment and rehabilitation.

Ergo, the reason that your rights are allowed to be violated in that way is because you are giving up some of them as part of the social contract to participate in society. It's a quid pro quo.
It's not something that is being 'forced' on you, it is an agreement you defacto make when you choose to participate in society.
(Just leave out the discussion of how one would choose NOT to for now)

To then turn around and also say, oh, we are also forbidding you to participate in society at the most fundamental level - seems wrong.
They want to enforce the person to be a part of society by holding them accountable to it's laws, whilst simultaneously denying them participation in it.

It's akin to taxation without representation.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 24th November 2022 at 11:11.
  Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:21     #1345
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel
 
what the actual fuck

The Government will pay $4000 to every small shop and dairy wanting to install fog cannons

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ime-protection
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:14     #1346
Lightspeed
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
You'd hope so. The long anticipated wave of shit and misery is here, peaked by a fucking pandemic. Labour is going to need someone who is sharp on their feet if they're going to come out clean.

Well, really, they should anticipate getting fucked, TBH. There should be a cold sweat going around those halls.
Gotta do something in response to the crimewave memes.
__________________
Stay shook. No sook.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



© Copyright NZGames.com 1996-2022
Site paid for by members (love you guys)