Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 5th March 2008, 15:14     #2121
Haydos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Nope, kung fu.
Take something with less impact on the joints, Aikido would be one such option but quite a learning curve for you.
Old 5th March 2008, 15:29     #2122
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Aikido is for short people!

There are very few martial arts that favour those that aren't tiny and nimble, makes sense when you consider their origins. Changing to another discipline is a pretty depressing thought seeing as I do thoroughly enjoy KF. Well, when not in intense pain.

I was considering taking up swimming on a more regular basis to strengthen joints gradually, but it's all time that I don't really have at the moment.
*grumble*
Old 5th March 2008, 15:32     #2123
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
Take something with less impact on the joints, Aikido would be one such option but quite a learning curve for you.
Considering that a fair majority of the focus for Aikido is on locks, throws and holds it's actually not that much more gentle on the joints. The reason it's seen as being less high impact is that there is generally less open sparing in Aikido as it is quite a formalised art - and I have a feeling that CW actually enjoys the competetive nature of open sparing.

Pixie
Old 5th March 2008, 15:52     #2124
Haydos

Quote:
Aikido is for short people!

There are very few martial arts that favour those that aren't tiny and nimble, makes sense when you consider their origins. Changing to another discipline is a pretty depressing thought seeing as I do thoroughly enjoy KF. Well, when not in intense pain.

I was considering taking up swimming on a more regular basis to strengthen joints gradually, but it's all time that I don't really have at the moment.
*grumble*
Also some supplements you can take to help with join strength, swimming, yoga and swiss ball exercising works wonders for dodgy joints, it's how I rehabilitated my back when I broke it.

I think with martial arts or any combat sport, you take the style and make it your own - you could attempt boxing, even - utilise your height and speed advantages, mind you, not much available for females.
Old 5th March 2008, 15:54     #2125
Haydos

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Considering that a fair majority of the focus for Aikido is on locks, throws and holds it's actually not that much more gentle on the joints. The reason it's seen as being less high impact is that there is generally less open sparing in Aikido as it is quite a formalised art - and I have a feeling that CW actually enjoys the competetive nature of open sparing.

Pixie
Depends where and who you train with, I did a year of hybrid stuff with a guy who taught Aikido and he was very physical and loved getting into sparfights to tset his technique.

You're more likely to hyper extend the joints in Aikido, but the pure shock to the joints should be lessened without jumping kicks and such (which seriously have no effect other than making you look like a clown)
Old 5th March 2008, 16:12     #2126
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Depends where and who you train with, I did a year of hybrid stuff with a guy who taught Aikido and he was very physical and loved getting into sparfights to tset his technique.
Well thats always the way, the folks I trained with were quite traditional so it was probably a year or two before I even started sparing. That was fine however, as I was more interested in it as a form than as self defence. Though I will say that my experience with Aikido put me in good stead when I did some other forms - and the techniques work perfectly well in real life.

Quote:
You're more likely to hyper extend the joints in Aikido, but the pure shock to the joints should be lessened without jumping kicks and such (which seriously have no effect other than making you look like a clown)
Well one thing Aikido taught me was to keep my feet on the ground and to generally not kick above the knee-cap. Of course it does depend on what joints you're having issues with too. My wrists have taken a lot of abuse over years between doing Aikido, playing drums and guitar and the amount of typing I do.

Pixie
Old 5th March 2008, 16:17     #2127
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
I think with martial arts or any combat sport, you take the style and make it your own - you could attempt boxing, even - utilise your height and speed advantages, mind you, not much available for females.
I have done boxing, but you're right - there isn't much around for females. Especially those concerned with the long term repercussions of repeated blows to the head

Anyway, this is turning into something that should be on the exercise thread, so I'll shut up. My true gripe isn't about the martial art, more the getting old and not being able to handle it anymore. And to be honest, knee pain sucks, but it's nothing compared to a broken back, so I'm going to sheepishly limp off into the sunset and take my complaints with me!
Old 5th March 2008, 16:20     #2128
Haydos

Quote:
Well one thing Aikido taught me was to keep my feet on the ground and to generally not kick above the knee-cap. Of course it does depend on what joints you're having issues with too. My wrists have taken a lot of abuse over years between doing Aikido, playing drums and guitar and the amount of typing I do.

Pixie
Guitaring and drumming will do that to you mate

Aikido is very good for keeping a powerful stance in order to take advantage/force the other person into being off balance. I found it helpful improving my balance and footwork in boxing, simply because you got used to being in the lowest, most gravity central position to use it as momentum to flip or take down the other guy.

Agree with you 100% on highkicks too, flashy looking things but unless you're super fast and have great balance, you're just asking for trouble lifting your leg above the knee/thigh.

Last edited by Haydos : 5th March 2008 at 16:25.
Old 5th March 2008, 16:27     #2129
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I, too, am a victim of the aikido-drums-guitar triple threat
Old 5th March 2008, 16:31     #2130
Cyberbob

Quote:
there isn't much around for females.
Wing Chun?

*giggle*
Old 5th March 2008, 16:35     #2131
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Wing Chun?

*giggle*
A martial art, not a dance, man!

/hides
Old 5th March 2008, 16:37     #2132
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Guitaring and drumming will do that to you mate
Yeah should have mentioned my hearings going too - can't really blame that on the Aikido though (even though the crashing of bo's and bokken is pretty loud right next to your head).

Quote:
Aikido is very good for keeping a powerful stance in order to take advantage/force the other person into being off balance.
Which is important to me because I'm a weedy little white guy in my 30's - not a lot of upper body strength or body mass to use, and being a physics buff it instantly appealed to me.

Quote:
Agree with you 100% on highkicks too, flashy looking things but unless you're super fast and have great balance, you're just asking for trouble lifting your leg above the knee/thigh.
And considering most "real life" fights happen when someones intoxicated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab
I, too, am a victim of the aikido-drums-guitar triple threat.
I never knew there were so many of us!

Pixie
Old 5th March 2008, 17:12     #2133
lektronimo

Bus Window Nazis: I'm sitting in a bus. New guy (it's always a guy) comes into the bus and decides that everyone including himself feels very hot. So this guy opens the windows above his head, so when the bus moves the wind blows behind him... and I am sitting behind him along with rest of the passengers... LEAVE THE FUCKING WINDOWS CUNT!

Fat, I'm-Too-Cool-To-Run Types: Slow walking pricks that see the bus coming from ages away and refuse to make a dash for it to the nearest stop. So the bus arrives at the bus stop, picks up all the waiting passengers, however, this fat cunt is still walking slowly towards the stop - THEN - bus starts leaving and the prick decides to run and catch it! Motherfucker, I got places to be!
Old 5th March 2008, 17:16     #2134
cEvin
Love In Vein

it's easier to warm up than cool down on a bus - especially if you're on the side with the sun, fat person beside you, sitting in slow traffic. let the windows open and carry a jumper with you.

what grinds me, and no disrespect to some of the posters above, is how every single nerd and his dog thinks they are a martial arts expert.
Old 5th March 2008, 17:19     #2135
Haydos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
what grinds me, and no disrespect to some of the posters above, is how every single nerd and his dog thinks they are a martial arts expert.
Can't be referring to any of us, being that none of us have even stated anything regarding grading, styles or achievements.. :P We're just loosely discussing the subject.
Old 5th March 2008, 17:20     #2136
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
every single nerd and his dog thinks they are a martial arts expert.
Martial arts, motorbikes and guitars. I honestly wish I could work it out, I have thought long and hard as to why these things seem to be geek-related!!
Still baffled.
Old 5th March 2008, 17:22     #2137
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Old 5th March 2008, 17:23     #2138
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Cheesy grin

^ I don't like geeeeetars

Motorbikes are fun tho!
Old 5th March 2008, 17:28     #2139
caffiend

Quote:
Martial arts, motorbikes and guitars. I honestly wish I could work it out, I have thought long and hard as to why these things seem to be geek-related!!
Still baffled.
Replace 'martial arts' with 'hot, unattainable women (usually actresses)', 'motorbikes' with 'cars (particularly Italian exotica)' and 'guitars' with 'cameras' and you'd have my Geek Trinity.
Old 5th March 2008, 17:59     #2140
lektronimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffiend
Replace 'martial arts' with 'hot, unattainable women (usually actresses)', 'motorbikes' with 'cars (particularly Italian exotica)' and 'guitars' with 'cameras' and you'd have my Geek Trinity.
You got my vote there, except I owned a piece of Italian exotica - namely Fiat Yugo 55

Gear Grind: When your work is being held up by people that take several days to answer a fucking email! Same goes for text messages.

And since we're on text messages, dumb people that have a plan and just don't care to explain as much as they can in a single message, resulting in wasted time and money on asking basic questions such as when, where, and why!
Old 5th March 2008, 20:51     #2141
MadMax
Stuff

firefox's missing f4 function

probably an addon for it somewhere
Old 5th March 2008, 20:51     #2142
?>Superman

Quote:
Still baffled.
It's a geek's way of trying to camouflage themselves so people actually think their super-cool.
Old 5th March 2008, 20:53     #2143
[Malks] Pixie

Well I can't really claim to not be a geek (despite the martial arts and music) considering that I posted mourning the father of modern roleplaying :-)

Pixie
Old 5th March 2008, 22:42     #2144
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektronimo
And since we're on text messages, dumb people that have a plan and just don't care to explain as much as they can in a single message, resulting in wasted time and money on asking basic questions such as when, where, and why!
I refuse to text back someone who texts me anything work related pressure testing times, meeting times, errors, questions, problems etc. If you want my answer immediately, call me. If your willing to wait 24hrs email me. Texting me? thats for my friends, and Mr Contractor sir, you are not my friend.

Don't know why, but it pisses me off.
Old 5th March 2008, 23:25     #2145
CCS
Stunt Pants

I guess the reason that it pisses you off is the notion that some asshole thinks you're at his beck and call no matter where, no matter when. That'd piss me off too.
Old 6th March 2008, 00:24     #2146
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
firefox's missing f4 function

probably an addon for it somewhere
Huh. Learn something new every day. Didn't even know that IE had a MRU other then the history.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 6th March 2008, 13:48     #2147
[Malks] Pixie

Having another tooth crack today during lunch - now I'm stuck at work with a splitting toothache and have to go back to the dentist (again).

I am having one SHIT week.

Pixie
Old 6th March 2008, 13:50     #2148
CCS
Stunt Pants

Do you have rotten teeth?
Old 6th March 2008, 13:51     #2149
fixed_truth

muh

you can't have a rainbow without a little rain
Old 6th March 2008, 13:52     #2150
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Recruitment agents.

Spending 2 years doing retail at Farmers and 6 months working for a crummy employment agency does NOT give you the right to comment on my work experience, bitch.
Old 6th March 2008, 13:58     #2151
cEvin
Love In Vein

people who grin on the verge of laughter at their monitor constantly, while they are coding.
Old 6th March 2008, 14:00     #2152
Haydos

Quote:
people who grin on the verge of laughter at their monitor constantly, while they are coding.
It's cause they're MSNing/looking at Goatse

People who won't let me work at home despite my performance being doubled and the quality of work being much improved too
Old 6th March 2008, 14:05     #2153
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Do you have rotten teeth?
Some family legacy's are good to inherit - unfortunatly all I got from the family was bad teeth. Not rotten, but apparently it's a historical problem with our family that our teeth don't develop as much strength as they should.

Doesn't help that I smoke as well - so I can't blame it all on the family - but doesn't change the fact that it still sucks, and I was at the dentists last week.

Pixie
Old 6th March 2008, 14:07     #2154
leadinjector

you know id like to think i would work better at home but i would probably get more work done if i was trapped in a deskjob or something. less shit to distract me, for instance i just spent 10 minutes rearranging my kiwis.
Old 6th March 2008, 14:12     #2155
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
i just spent 10 minutes rearranging my kiwis.
10 minutes! nice job - usually i have to think of lindsay lohan to last that long
Old 6th March 2008, 14:16     #2156
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Having another tooth crack today during lunch...
Hah! - how about following on from my previously document cracked tooth that I removed the chip of... Now The crown is almost ready to be added, and I get a call while off sick (with a bit of a head cold) that I need to turn up to a lab across town for a 10 minute colour grading. Can't make it until today - No worries they say - just pop in between 12 and 2.

So I did, and they are all out until 2.

Oh, right. I'll just drive back across town, reschedule my appointments, and come back then.

Otherwise I can't get it repaired on Monday.

Awesome.
Old 6th March 2008, 14:21     #2157
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Some family legacy's are good to inherit - unfortunatly all I got from the family was bad teeth. Not rotten, but apparently it's a historical problem with our family that our teeth don't develop as much strength as they should.

Doesn't help that I smoke as well - so I can't blame it all on the family - but doesn't change the fact that it still sucks, and I was at the dentists last week.

Pixie
Sounds like you're going to have to stick to a diet of yogurt and baby food.
Old 6th March 2008, 14:22     #2158
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Sounds like you're going to have to stick to a diet of yogurt and baby food.
Either that or do the full replacement before I'm 40... nothing quite as appealing as a 40 year old guy with false teeth.

Pixie
Old 6th March 2008, 14:25     #2159
CCS
Stunt Pants

Could be alright if they're all gold. BLING BLING, YO!
Old 6th March 2008, 14:32     #2160
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Could be alright if they're all gold. BLING BLING, YO!
Lol... ouch don't make me laugh, that hurt... but it was a priceless image!

Pixie