Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 15th December 2014, 20:22     #2961
Lightspeed

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
Was there anything about improving inequality between say the 4th decile (below average) and the 9th/10th decile (above average)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Only if the 4th decile offered to be the 10th decile's live-in love slave.
Oh my lolz.
Old 15th December 2014, 22:51     #2962
fixed_truth

Brian Easton has a good summary of it all - Does Inequality Affect Economic Growth?
Old 16th December 2014, 00:13     #2963
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Easton glosses over the fact that the working paper's data specifically shows that education makes no difference to economic growth. Then the author of the working paper basically goes "but that obviously makes no sense, just look at these other studies that show education DOES affect economic growth" while ignoring the fact that the articles he's pointing to as being more sensible are articles that conclude inequality doesn't matter.

Nobody is talking about the working paper and what it says. Everyone's arguing about what a news article said a commentator said about a summary of the paper.
Old 16th December 2014, 00:29     #2964
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Inequality between the fourth decile (slightly-below average) income and the average income has a huge impact on growth. So the biggest thing you can do to improve economic growth is to tax the average earner more and lift the slightly-below-average earners a little bit.
Surly the best thing you could do is tax EVERYONE above the fourth decile a little to help lift the fourth decile?
Old 16th December 2014, 02:22     #2965
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well that does seem simple and obvious, but then again I'm not an economist, so for all I know that's retarded.
Old 16th December 2014, 06:57     #2966
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Inequality between the fourth decile (slightly-below average) income and the average income has a huge impact on growth. So the biggest thing you can do to improve economic growth is to tax the average earner more and lift the slightly-below-average earners a little bit.
That second statement looks like nothing more than a hypothesis to me. Why don't we try the converse and increase tax on deciles one to four by 25% and then see what happens? My bet is that lots of people would discover a way to be more productive so as to avoid having to give up their luxury goods on time payment. The advantage of this alternative is that any hurt caused is directed exclusively at those who need to lift their game.
Old 16th December 2014, 07:29     #2967
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
That second statement looks like nothing more than a hypothesis to me.
Conceded. In my head that second statement of mine really ended with a question mark more than a full stop.
Old 16th December 2014, 08:46     #2968
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
while ignoring the fact that the articles he's pointing to as being more sensible are articles that conclude inequality doesn't matter.
I read him as saying that through a meta-analysis these many other studies show that inequality does negatively effect growth. ??
Old 16th December 2014, 10:41     #2969
Lightspeed

Well, I guess we know JK's agenda, given how quick he was to politicise the actions of a lone crazed gunman.

John Key says the Sydney siege makes it feel like terrorism is coming closer to home
Old 16th December 2014, 11:27     #2970
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Well, I guess we know JK's agenda, given how quick he was to politicise the actions of a lone crazed gunman.

John Key says the Sydney siege makes it feel like terrorism is coming closer to home
I don't get how it wasn't political to begin with - the guy had written hate mail to families of dead soldiers previously. He demanded an IS flag. He demanded to speak with the australian prime minister. He filmed a propaganda video during the siege. He was well known to police for his ideology.

Sure he was alone, sure he was batshit crazy, doesn't make it non-political though, not in light of the facts.
Old 16th December 2014, 11:39     #2971
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

I said to my partner last night "How long before Key tries to shove through more bullshit legislation to appease his US buddies, using this as an excuse?".

So now we wait.
Old 16th December 2014, 11:40     #2972
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
I don't get how it wasn't political to begin with - the guy had written hate mail to families of dead soldiers previously. He demanded an IS flag. He demanded to speak with the australian prime minister. He filmed a propaganda video during the siege. He was well known to police for his ideology.

Sure he was alone, sure he was batshit crazy, doesn't make it non-political though, not in light of the facts.
Well, in a sense you are right. Politicians have created something that will gain a lot of attention with little effort. An easy option for a crazy person looking for attention.

Pretty much all politicians have to do is perpetuate the idea of terrorism, wait for the crazies to come out and then go "Look! Look! Terrorism! We were right after all! We need more power and control!"
Old 16th December 2014, 12:38     #2973
fixed_truth

Oh dear . . .

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti...ectid=11374697
Old 16th December 2014, 12:59     #2974
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Inequality between the ninth and tenth deciles (high earners at the top of the scale) and the average income has no effect whatsoever on growth. Say it with me now, according to this report a huge inequality between the super-rich and the average earner has no impact on economic growth.
So that means we can tax these people more, and drop the tax more for deciles 1-4.
Old 16th December 2014, 14:23     #2975
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Whatever. My point is that commentary on the commentary - such as that in this thread - has generally taken the form of "OECD says gap between haves and have nots is hurting the economy" and then someone will run around screaming "THE 1% ARE DESTROYING OUR COUNTRY!" when the article says the complete opposite.
Old 16th December 2014, 14:24     #2976
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
this siege guy just basically hammered the nail into the coffin in terms of fucking us all over in regards to our privacy. thanks bro. i hope his 99 virgins are all huge sweaty gay bears who dont understand no
Old 16th December 2014, 14:39     #2977
Savage

Quote:

The guy has been doing this kind of thing for years - this is just the culmination of what appears to be obsessive behaviour. He had a criminal history going back a long time according to reports, sending letters to politicians, posting online rants and tirades against the Aussie govt. As much as you love to demonize JK, it's always been a political thing - JK did not make it so.
Old 16th December 2014, 14:52     #2978
Lightspeed

I don't understand. Which is it, a crazy obsessed person picking the issue de jour as a vehicle for their rantings, or an organised person with a coherent plan attempting to instigate political change?

Last edited by Lightspeed : 16th December 2014 at 14:53.
Old 16th December 2014, 14:57     #2979
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Whatever. My point is that commentary on the commentary - such as that in this thread - has generally taken the form of "OECD says gap between haves and have nots is hurting the economy" and then someone will run around screaming "THE 1% ARE DESTROYING OUR COUNTRY!" when the article says the complete opposite.
Oh Yes, I understand what your actual points were regarding the report Vs some random article from someone that probably didn't read the report.
Old 16th December 2014, 15:00     #2980
Savage

Quote:
a crazy obsessed person picking the issue de jour as a vehicle for their rantings
See: "Lightspeed"
Old 16th December 2014, 15:05     #2981
pxpx

^ lol burn.

Quote:
I don't understand. Which is it, a crazy obsessed person picking the issue de jour as a vehicle for their rantings, or an organised person with a coherent plan attempting to instigate political change?
I like how you phrase your alternatives to be so black and white, when you yourself are so fond of the "it's complicated" defense.

Anyway, I think it's a lot column A, and a little column B. (it's probably complicated )
Old 16th December 2014, 15:06     #2982
Lightspeed

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
See: "Lightspeed"
Touché.
Old 16th December 2014, 15:09     #2983
Lightspeed

Quote:
I like how you phrase your alternatives to be so black and white, when you yourself are so fond of the "it's complicated" defense.

Anyway, I think it's a lot column A, and a little column B. (it's probably complicated )
It is complicated. It's a complicated interaction between a crazy person and our political and media landscape. What it isn't about is terrorism being a problem that we have to act swiftly and strongly in response to.
Old 16th December 2014, 15:16     #2984
pxpx

Standby. Post written in haste
Old 16th December 2014, 15:28     #2985
Savage

Quote:
It is complicated. It's a complicated interaction between a crazy person and our political and media landscape. What it isn't about is terrorism being a problem that we have to act swiftly and strongly in response to.
Unfortunately it's very easy for us to say that now, but sucks to be the incumbent govt who haven't prepared or taken any kind of steps to prevent this kind of thing when it happens on our front doorstep. I can only imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth if this had happened in downtown Auckland or Wellington (more likely given the govt presence there), and govt had not been seen to be "planning for the worst, hoping for the best". I do not like the power this new law has given them, but what else could they have done within the bounds of the law to prepare for, or monitor people like this clown in Sydney?

Either way (and on a slight tangent), I think the Daily Telegraph editorial staff need a stern fucking lesson in human compassion and basic journalistic morals/integrity/ethics etc: https://awkwardtreedstrikesagain.wor...ily-telegraph/
Old 16th December 2014, 15:30     #2986
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

it's the Daily Tele. It's Australia's printed Fox News. Like, literally - it's a Murdoch mouthpiece owned by News Corporation.
Old 16th December 2014, 15:59     #2987
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
it's the Daily Tele. It's Australia's printed Fox News. Like, literally - it's a Murdoch mouthpiece owned by News Corporation.
Yep - I've never picked up a copy of the DT before, and I was not aware it was quite that bad. Well aware of Fox being a cesspit, but didn't expect it to be quite so blatant in Aussie. Would be great if the formal complaints make a difference, but not holding my breath.
Old 16th December 2014, 16:23     #2988
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You kidding? Murdoch owns the Abbott government. Formal complaints will go straight to the bin. How's this for an impartial media:

Old 16th December 2014, 20:40     #2989
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

^^^ holy shit.
Old 17th December 2014, 00:29     #2990
Savage

Wow, ok fair point. I can't say I paid much attention to Australia's media or politics before I headed over here.
Old 23rd January 2015, 20:50     #2991
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Every year I get to this weekend and go "oh yeah, Ratana, what the fuck"
Old 23rd January 2015, 20:55     #2992
CCS
Stunt Pants

Let's see...

National, despite being Satan's own party, is kicking arse. Labour and Green, the Way, the Truth and the Life, are floundering. Why don't the voters realise they're voting wrong?!

United Future? United lol.
Old 23rd January 2015, 21:10     #2993
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Greens co-leader Metiria Turei launched a stinging attack on John Key in his absence at Ratana today, saying his view of New Zealand's history was "warped, outrageous and deeply offensive".

She also said Mr Key was a prime example of the "ignorant, uneducated Pakeha" economist Gareth Morgan had talked about the day before.
Old 24th January 2015, 12:22     #2994
fixed_truth

When it comes to the history behind NZ's settlemet it appears Key is a bit ignorant. Or, he didn't articulate very well & was actually meaning 'the maaries didn't have it as bad as the abo's'. Which is still a dumb thing for him to say, imo.
Old 24th January 2015, 16:16     #2995
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Why don't the voters realise they're voting wrong?!
When you say wrong, do you mean something like "against their own interests"?

One way would be to put people under resource pressure by increasing costs for those least able to bear them, overwhelm people's capacity to think about larger issues by forcing them to focus on the stark choices needed to be made in day-to-day life, leaving them prone to gross, cynical electioneering.

Maybe? Who can really say.
Old 11th February 2015, 00:35     #2996
crocos

This is why I really like Winston being elected but not actually being part of the coalition in power. Kicking arse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVhyx-pJUQU

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 11th February 2015, 10:22     #2997
Lightspeed

What I don't like about the whole business is IS/ISIS/ISIL is being made a scapegoat when the real problem is the collapse of any semblance of rule of law in the region, a predicted outcome of US forces pulling out before rebuilding all they tore down.

The whole region is rife with gangs and outlaws acting with impunity because there's nothing to stop them.
Old 11th February 2015, 10:55     #2998
pxpx

Really hope Joyce grows a pair and tells Sky City to get fucked.
Old 11th February 2015, 13:03     #2999
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Really hope Joyce grows a pair and tells Sky City to get fucked.
Old 11th February 2015, 17:56     #3000
chubby

muh

^^ lol
'cause that'll happen,right?
or maybe a focus group will let them know that enough of you retards think that to work something sneaky out behind the scenes.
yeah... that sounds more likely.