Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 24th July 2014, 19:16     #39001
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Good plan. If you have an infection in that eye best not to be handling either eyes, for fear of transmitting from one eye to the other.

If protein builds up it can cause issues. What sort of life-time do your lenses have?
http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...e-her-eyeballs
Old 24th July 2014, 19:46     #39002
Cyberbob

Quote:
Good plan. If you have an infection in that eye best not to be handling either eyes, for fear of transmitting from one eye to the other.

If protein builds up it can cause issues. What sort of life-time do your lenses have?
I've been using B&L Purevision lenses for the last.. 7 years?
They're specifically designed for continuous wear for up to 30 days, with care.

I typically wear them day & night, taking them out over the weekend, then disposing after 4 weeks or so.

Never had a problem with them, and its only one eye acting up.
Old 24th July 2014, 20:32     #39003
StN
I have detailed files

I concur - but you know - longer. I can easily go 3 months without taking them out.
Old 25th July 2014, 13:24     #39004
chubby

Holy crap

wow.
mayflys.

http://io9.com/mayfly-birth-is-the-s...res-1610350675
Old 25th July 2014, 13:47     #39005
pxpx

Intense.. jump link on wired shows just how many:
http://www.wired.com/2014/07/theyre-...-in-wisconsin/
Old 25th July 2014, 16:52     #39006
Spink

Google acquired twitch, wonder if it will get less shitty or more shitty.
Old 26th July 2014, 21:44     #39007
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I've been using B&L Purevision lenses for the last.. 7 years?
They're specifically designed for continuous wear for up to 30 days, with care.

I typically wear them day & night, taking them out over the weekend, then disposing after 4 weeks or so.

Never had a problem with them, and its only one eye acting up.
I remember when those came out. I was one of the first in NZ to use them, as my dad was a top contact lense practitioner, and got stuff pre-release and always in my script. Awesome product.

They are designed for continuous wear, but like any disposable item QA and manufacturing standards are a little laxer than for longer term use product. Little flaws are permitted, and those little flaws can provide a place for bacteria and/or tear proteins to accumulate. Don't wear lenses for a while (until entirely cleared up or a couple of weeks, whichever is longer), and bin the lense that was on the problem eye, and you will probably find it doesn't recur.

I used these lenses for ages, and I took them out a couple of times a week to do a protein soak. My father inspected my results said they were immaculate. I have particularly problematic tears, and suffer protein build-up more than most, so I am a slightly extreme case, but it is an idea to rest your eyes regularly. While it is not hazardous to wear those lenses for the prescribed month that doesn't mean it isn't much better for you not to. Excuse the double negative, but I think that's the best way to put it.
Old 26th July 2014, 21:56     #39008
CCS
Stunt Pants

Heh, I'll give you a protein soak!
Old 28th July 2014, 19:09     #39009
MadMax
Stuff

Colin Craig looks like he has foetal alcohol syndrome
Old 28th July 2014, 19:56     #39010
MadMax
Stuff

Surely NIN would have made a better choice of artist for Fury Road
Old 28th July 2014, 20:49     #39011
Cyberbob

Quote:
I remember when those came out...
I think it was on your recommendation that I tried them in the first place.

No complain of product at all!

Last edited by Cyberbob : 28th July 2014 at 20:50.
Old 28th July 2014, 22:07     #39012
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

My eldest is turning double digits on the weekend and wants a piece of jewellery for her birthday and more specifically a necklace of some description is called for.

I eliminated the usual suspects since the things available in the price range I want to spend looked ghastly (it's that pesky 400% margin they add that does this). Looking a the Tiffany website I was pleasantly surprised to see some pretty nice stuff at reasonable prices.

My three price options became:
1. Buy from the US at $X from a Tiffany store.
2. Buy from Australia for $X + 10% (including GST) from a Tiffany store.

And then I saw there is a single authorised dealer in NZ - DFS. Better still the single physical shop that carries this is just around the corner from work.

I went at lunchtime - I was the only customer in the store.

Now I know an NZ store is going to offer rip-off prices so I conditioned myself to be willing to accept a price of $X x 1.5. And, for the money shot? The price locally was $X x 2 + GST.

I mean seriously, do NZ retailers actually want to sell things? I'm very close to the point of just not bothering going into another shop save to buy things like food.
Old 29th July 2014, 09:31     #39013
Lightspeed

I like this post from OK Cupid!, basically saying "Yeah we experiment on you, what do you expect? Here's how."

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/we...-human-beings/
Old 29th July 2014, 15:22     #39014
Lightspeed

For a bit of a wtf moment, check out the address of this DARPA contracted rocket launch company (bottom right):
www.rocketlabusa.com
Old 29th July 2014, 15:42     #39015
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
For a bit of a wtf moment, check out the address of this DARPA contracted rocket launch company (bottom right):
www.rocketlabusa.com
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11300831
Old 29th July 2014, 16:15     #39016
Lightspeed

Pretty crazy huh? Knowledge economy!
Old 30th July 2014, 14:28     #39017
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

SCIENCE.
Old 31st July 2014, 15:36     #39018
Spink

Old but still interesting, about why Americans put eggs in fridge and why NZers (or the rest of the planet) don't need to/shouldn't.

http://io9.com/americans-why-do-you-...ggs-1465309529

I hope creamcheese knew this before he moved to the US and started working for Pixar!
Old 31st July 2014, 15:45     #39019
Lightspeed

I thought the "freshness" of an egg wasn't to do with bacteria but the condition of the white. If an egg is old the white is liquid, but when it's fresh it's somewhat solid.

I don't actually know if refrigeration impacts this though, keeping the eggs fresher longer, I just assumed. I know if I'm baking I try use room temp eggs.
Old 31st July 2014, 16:31     #39020
Spink

Quote:
I thought the "freshness" of an egg wasn't to do with bacteria but the condition of the white. If an egg is old the white is liquid, but when it's fresh it's somewhat solid.

I don't actually know if refrigeration impacts this though, keeping the eggs fresher longer, I just assumed. I know if I'm baking I try use room temp eggs.
Salmonella isn't really a thing in NZ as far as eggs go afaik.
Old 31st July 2014, 17:05     #39021
creamcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
Old but still interesting, about why Americans put eggs in fridge and why NZers (or the rest of the planet) don't need to/shouldn't.

I hope creamcheese knew this before he moved to the US and started working for Pixar!
That's it, I'm on the first flight home.
Old 31st July 2014, 17:09     #39022
Lightspeed

Quote:
Salmonella isn't really a thing in NZ as far as eggs go afaik.
Duck eggs though... when I was a kid I heard some grim tale about duck egg pavlova served at a wedding reception which killed some of the wedding party/guests, perhaps the bride and/or groom.
Old 31st July 2014, 18:05     #39023
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcheese
That's it, I'm on the first flight home.
lol I'm immigrating there too, but I wondered why they were so particular about the eggs in the fridge when my wife was in NZ and scared about our non-fridge tendencies.
Old 31st July 2014, 21:43     #39024
BoyWonder

Usain Bolt. Famous for running fast and being a bit of a cock. Soon enough plenty of people will be able to run faster than you and then you will be... well just a cock.
Old 1st August 2014, 10:13     #39025
MadMax
Stuff

Wacked

Conversation I overheard while at carls jr ranting about Vodafone

"...
Oh when I first rang them the woman said I'd get 30 megabytes a second on fibre and so I calculated that I'd download 1 gig torrents in three seconds but nah in fact it's no different to my old connection. You've got to watch out for that, don't get one of those megabit plans they just a con, make sure you get a megabyte plan.

It's better for my video uploads though; it used to take hours to upload but now it's done in seconds.

They keep sending me a bill with a zero balance. I mean I'm happy to pay for my internet but I don't want a large bill in 6 months time. I've rang them every month and they said they'd sort it. Then the next bill arrives ...yeah another zero dollar bill.

My internet wasn't working and so I thought id play a game on my iPad, but the game needed an internet connection so I couldn't do that ... So I tried my playstation and that wouldn't work either, then I found a game that didn't need internet but I got stuck and went to google how to do the stage but then remembered my internet wasn't working. I went to call Vodafone but my phone needs internet ...
"
Rant rant rant at full volume so the whole damn shop can hear
Old 1st August 2014, 11:36     #39026
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I can't wait for the film adaptation.
Old 1st August 2014, 12:23     #39027
Lightspeed

Happy birthday Pixie! The big 40!

Lightspeed
Old 1st August 2014, 13:34     #39028
CCS
Stunt Pants

P North, serious shit.
Old 1st August 2014, 13:40     #39029
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Happy birthday Pixie! The big 40!

Lightspeed
Cheers man - for some reason I actually felt 40 this morning (could be that we were out of coffee). Plus I'm spending the day teaching 18-20 years olds about the media, society and politics, which really does make me feel old.

I feel a rather large gin and tonic being in order tonight :-)

Pixie
Old 1st August 2014, 13:51     #39030
StN
I have detailed files

Bowlcut and hosebelt - of sorts...
Old 1st August 2014, 13:57     #39031
StN
I have detailed files

I wonder if Vodaphone will take them to the cleaners for copyright infringement - surely they can claim prior art...
Old 1st August 2014, 22:10     #39032
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:

I grew up in a household that chilled eggs and have always done so. Most fridges I have owned have had egg holders in them. None were American fridges.

It doesn't really matter if you use eggs regularly though. It just slightly prolongs the freshness of the egg, but if an egg has been refrigerated it should stay that way until use. Going from cold to room temperature is apparently a really bad idea. Not sure where I heard that.
Old 2nd August 2014, 08:50     #39033
Spink

Quote:
I grew up in a household that chilled eggs and have always done so. Most fridges I have owned have had egg holders in them. None were American fridges.

It doesn't really matter if you use eggs regularly though. It just slightly prolongs the freshness of the egg, but if an egg has been refrigerated it should stay that way until use. Going from cold to room temperature is apparently a really bad idea. Not sure where I heard that.
It's in that article, it's to do with condensation.
Old 2nd August 2014, 13:06     #39034
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
It's in that article, it's to do with condensation.
Yes, I read it after I had posted
Old 3rd August 2014, 12:54     #39035
MadMax
Stuff

gah facebook is getting worse

Xyz created an event
THIS TOTALLY AWESOME THING THAT I'D LOVE TO GET TO
Starts 9am yesterday
Posted two days ago

IT WASN'T THERE YESTERDAY OR THE DAY BEFORE YOU FUCKER

Last edited by MadMax : 3rd August 2014 at 12:56.
Old 3rd August 2014, 13:35     #39036
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Lol fb
Old 3rd August 2014, 20:09     #39037
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
Usain Bolt. Famous for running fast and being a bit of a cock. Soon enough plenty of people will be able to run faster than you and then you will be... well just a cock.
the dude is already a legend. im sure eventually someone will break his record but that doesnt mean he isnt a legend. and once gene therapy is a thing, which is gonna be pretty fucking soon, he will probably be the last of the champs who only used PEDs and isnt a fucking superhuman breaking the sound barrier and shit.

also when you are the fastest man on the planet by fucking miles you get to be a cock. perk of the job
Old 5th August 2014, 15:54     #39038
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Hi [MadMax],

Thanks for letting us know about the infection of the website. It has been suspended for the time being to prevent any further malicious activity. I have been trying to secure the website - but as it is running the oldest version of Joomla - which is no longer updated for security - this is obviously still vulnerable.
What do typical websolutionists do for customers to ensure that their site is maintained years down the track when the packages used become outdated? This might be covered with a yearly maintenance fee but I wonder if it's more the norm to leave sites to rot.
Old 5th August 2014, 18:42     #39039
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Shocking new study: half of Americans admit to having gone to work hungover at some point in their entire lives

http://mashable.com/2014/08/04/hango...h-com-tu-photo

Man. Hardcore.
Old 5th August 2014, 18:43     #39040
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
when you are the fastest man on the planet by fucking miles you get to be a cock. perk of the job
this