Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 24th January 2014, 16:35     #38561
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
I'd pay a premium to be able to buy in a storefront. Having to interact with the sort of people that sell currently is the main reason I don't partake.
You'd be surprised how accommodating the average tinny house is. After all, what good will it do them if they rob/stab their customers?
Old 24th January 2014, 16:56     #38562
aR Que

Quote:
I'd pay a premium to be able to buy in a storefront. Having to interact with the sort of people that sell currently is the main reason I don't partake.

Plus from what I've seen Colorado legal prices are still cheaper than prices here.
Well, come on, where's the prices?

lol, buy a tinny. Mother fuckers needa know about scales of economy.
Old 24th January 2014, 17:33     #38563
chubby

Cheesy grin

Quote:
visit your local social tonic provider-
buy whiterhino or similar....

pretty much exactly it.
Old 24th January 2014, 19:13     #38564
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
Well, come on, where's the prices?
Started at $200 an ounce when it first legalized in Colorado. Though apparently that's up to $400 now supplies are low, so I guess that's comparable to here? I'm not up on current market conditions.
Old 24th January 2014, 20:38     #38565
aR Que

Not that i know anything about this kind of thing, it's used in cooking, right? I'd say those prices are fairly similar. Though 200 for a good oz is good going, is what i'm told.
Old 25th January 2014, 15:23     #38566
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

There is a cafe in New Lynn that sells, giving zero fucks about the law. It's fantastic (both in quality and convenience).

I looked at the punishment for growing and it's a max $2k fine, or up to 7 years in jail. Assuming you had only a reasonable number of plants, and weren't obviously supplying, I think it'd definitely be worth risking a < $2k fine. Jail would only be if you were blatantly flouting the law to have a warehouse full of the shit, supplying gangs and not paying tax.

I'd consider it a peaceful protest and happily go to court and tell anyone the same thing. Unfortunately I'm flatting and the lease holder is drop nuts/too sensible.
Old 25th January 2014, 16:35     #38567
StN
I have detailed files

Paging SD...
Old 25th January 2014, 21:30     #38568
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Jail would only be if you were blatantly flouting the law to have a warehouse full of the shit, supplying gangs and not paying tax.
Mr SD would have a thing to say about that.

http://www.nzgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59951

Last edited by Cyberbob : 25th January 2014 at 21:32.
Old 25th January 2014, 23:19     #38569
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
There is a cafe in New Lynn that sells, giving zero fucks about the law. It's fantastic (both in quality and convenience).

I looked at the punishment for growing and it's a max $2k fine, or up to 7 years in jail. Assuming you had only a reasonable number of plants, and weren't obviously supplying, I think it'd definitely be worth risking a < $2k fine. Jail would only be if you were blatantly flouting the law to have a warehouse full of the shit, supplying gangs and not paying tax.

I'd consider it a peaceful protest and happily go to court and tell anyone the same thing. Unfortunately I'm flatting and the lease holder is drop nuts/too sensible.
GL applying for jobs though :/
Old 26th January 2014, 11:51     #38570
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Mr SD would have a thing to say about that.

http://www.nzgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59951
cultivation of cannabis
manufacturing of cannabis oil
possession of cannabis
possession of cannabis oil
precursor for iso propane alcohol
supply of cannabis
supply of cannabis oil
theft of cannabis

Oil is class B, and cannabis for supply? Theft as well?

I'm talking straight cultivation, none of the other bullshit. I don't think you go straight to jail for basic growing. xor's point still stands - the conviction itself would suck, regardless of the relatively insignificant punishment.
Old 26th January 2014, 13:13     #38571
Lightspeed

You don't go to jail for flat growing in personal quantities. I've done a couple of things that required a police check, and I doubt that kind of conviction would have gotten in the way.

I didn't think most jobs required a police check? I guess I haven't applied for most jobs so I don't know.
Old 26th January 2014, 15:29     #38572
fixed_truth

Good question. I could be wrong but I thought most jobs these days require police checks and credit checks?
Old 26th January 2014, 15:49     #38573
CCS
Stunt Pants

o_O

wtf?
Old 26th January 2014, 16:54     #38574
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
GL applying for jobs though :/
Or in fifteen to twenty years time trying to take the kids to Disneyland.
Old 26th January 2014, 19:27     #38575
Nich

Police check, sure, but I doubt most jobs require credit checks. As my employer, the money flows one way (from you to me) and how i handle my hard earned money does not concern you.

But as far as smoking goes. As a first impression, it's a disadvantage, agreed. However, a well-timed joint amongst disagreeing workmates can elevate one's status and even earn them a promotion. I've seen it happen, and have heard of others who have experienced this.

Remember: well-timed, but also well-placed. Meaning that with certain people there might NEVER be a good time.
Old 26th January 2014, 19:41     #38576
StN
I have detailed files

We have a van that parks up regularly for random testing. All people who may influence safety, and managers from a certain level. Pretty much everyone except the accountants and the tea lady.

I now carry a laminated card of my current meds just in case I need to clarify a result.

Which should be a relief to anyone that uses air travel. Pretty sure anyone with a police or even a dubious credit record* would be a problem, and these are weeded out at the application stage. Hair sampling for new recruits too, so we get a bit of history in the decision. Not quite at GATTACA level, but soon...

*Vadar(sp?) checks are easy enough, and rule out a potential financial exposure.

Last edited by StN : 26th January 2014 at 19:43.
Old 26th January 2014, 21:24     #38577
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Police check, sure, but I doubt most jobs require credit checks.
I've had data-entry jobs that required a credit check. Pretty much any bank, insurance company or other financial institution will usually require a credit check.

Pixie
Old 27th January 2014, 10:01     #38578
StN
I have detailed files

So I was in at the video store yesterday renting a copy of Marvel Lego for the boy, and just out of curiosity I asked the chap behind the counter when I opened my account. Turns out I have been a member there since before he was born (I thought he looked older) and almost longer than I haven't.

Looking back, it was probably around the same time my girlfriend and I bought our first VCR, which if memory serves, was around the time SkyTV was starting up - because a guy in the shop was trying to tell me it would be better to get recent movies on Sky rather than renting them. Maybe now it would be.
Old 27th January 2014, 11:17     #38579
chubby

Thumbs up

too many users to arrest

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4665886.html

Quote:
"In the last decade since Michael Bloomberg became mayor, the NYPD has made 400,038 lowest level marijuana possession arrests at a cost of $600 million dollars. Nearly 350,000 of the marijuana possession arrests made under Bloomberg are of overwhelmingly young Black and Latino men, despite the fact that young whites use marijuana at higher rates than young Blacks and Latinos."
Old 27th January 2014, 11:23     #38580
aR Que

Twitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
So I was in at the video store

yesterday

clean slate act. ftw.

Last edited by aR Que : 27th January 2014 at 11:25.
Old 27th January 2014, 13:45     #38581
Lightspeed

Having never gotten around to sorting out the TV aerial, does anyone know of a stream for the Grammys?
Old 27th January 2014, 21:16     #38582
xor

I think the only difference between the 2l tub of tip top ice cream and the 'boutique' branded ice cream is the price and the wanked out packaging.

I'd like to buy an ice cream maker but we literally have no more room to buy anymore appliances :/
Old 27th January 2014, 21:25     #38583
Redneck

You never see rum and raisin ice cream in the supermarket
Old 27th January 2014, 21:45     #38584
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I think the only difference between the 2l tub of tip top ice cream and the 'boutique' branded ice cream is the price and the wanked out packaging.
I don't think Tip Top vanilla is what is used to be. It used to be the colour of cream, now it's the colour of white paint.

These guys make next level ice cream:
http://www.joshuasicecream.co.nz/
Old 27th January 2014, 22:37     #38585
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

I think you are confusing vanilla and french vanilla.
Old 28th January 2014, 00:04     #38586
Lightspeed

I know what you mean, but I swear it didn't use to be the paint white it is today. I remember the day I first noticed it a long time ago, it put me off it for awhile. Maybe I'm tripping, I dunno.
Old 28th January 2014, 00:16     #38587
MadMax
Stuff

Pam's French vanilla. Not sure what it's a clone of but it's damn good.

Also, please enlighten me why an employer would do a credit check? I've honestly never heard of that being done. I'm guessing it's like a check for your risk of committing fraud?

Last edited by MadMax : 28th January 2014 at 00:18.
Old 28th January 2014, 00:35     #38588
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Also, please enlighten me why an employer would do a credit check? I've honestly never heard of that being done. I'm guessing it's like a check for your risk of committing fraud?
There are a few reasons, two of which are:
1. Behavior in personal life tends to be mirrored at work; those who can't keep it together at home usually can't at work either.
2. Fraud and plain-and-simple theft are more prevalent amongst staff with money problems.

When recruiting staff there are usually several candidates with similar qualities and other things equal employers choose the safer bet.
Old 28th January 2014, 13:16     #38589
mpx

GT: Give it to me straight, I'm genuinely interested here; If I was looking for employment at your establishment and you did a credit check on me (which would show me in debt due to medical bills), and given everything else which has been candidly shared (and easily accessible, though I would mention it in an interview nevertheless), would it be an aggravating feature in whether or not you would hire me over someone who may lesser qualifications, less favourable reference checks but has a sterling credit check?

Not looking for an argument or anything, I'm actually interested to see how it would turn out given special situations where debt may be due to unforeseen circumstances and so forth.

Be honest !
Old 28th January 2014, 14:55     #38590
Deadmeat

I believe it's more about weeding out people with consistently bad credit or who have recently found themselves in bad financial troubles, than it is about finding people with great credit. People under serious financial stress can have an easier time justifying theft, even if their justification is "i'll take this for now but i'll pay it back, i just have to pay this bill...". Like he said, "all other things being equal" it would be taken into consideration.
Old 28th January 2014, 15:17     #38591
[Malks] Pixie

re: credit checks.

A number of years ago I went for a job where a credit check was required. Sure, no problem I say.

A couple of days later I get this weird phone call from the prospective employer saying that they thought the interview had been great but they had some supplementary questions about my credit history.

Them : Will you sign a legal document attesting that the name you applied for the job under is the only name you have had? You've never changed your name by deed poll? Can you provide two character references in professional roles who can attest to have known you, under your current name, for more than 20 years?

Me : Ummm sure... though I don't think I have any friends who are in professional roles and have known me for more than 20 years. Is that going to be a problem? Actually this is a bit weird, why are you asking me these questions? (I was in my mid-late 20's at the time)

Them : Well we didn't get anything back from the credit check.

Me : What do you mean you didn't get anything back?

Them : Well no record of bank loans, overdrafts, hire-purchases, revolving credit, credit cards, mortgages or any of that normal stuff. This raises a red flag for us.

Me : Really? Well I can confirm I've never had any of those and I've never changed my name either but I'm happy to sign a document confirming this.

Them : <silence at the end of the phone for a while> Okay. Well thanks for your time, we'll let you know about the role. <click>

Needless to say I didn't get the job... the person who did get the job ended up stealing from the company over a two year period to the tune of around $200K.

Pixie
Old 28th January 2014, 15:20     #38592
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'd hire mpx because he's a GC. There needs to be a GC check that employers can do.
Old 28th January 2014, 15:31     #38593
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
re: credit checks.
stuff
While that scenario has never happened to me, it's precisely why I got a credit card well before I needed one. It sat there doing barely anything more than the odd thinkgeek order. I figured a neutral credit history was better than no credit history.
Old 28th January 2014, 15:37     #38594
CCS
Stunt Pants

GG to Lorde winning Grammys. I'm really surprised at the fuss over her fingers, though.

People are calling her 'frostbite fingers' and 'black death fingers' etc. Come on, man. It's artistic, yeah? The music world has seen much stranger stuff than that and I'm sure the Grammy ceremony has been host to some of that weird stuff. Is the music world really now so conservative that this is somehow worthy of mention? Or are they just bored of discussing Miley's twerking or Beiber's incarceration? I'm wondering if this is the germ of the eventual backlash against her success and it's the best they can come up with.
Old 28th January 2014, 15:38     #38595
aR Que

@pix heh, i remember shit like that going down, when i was young, happy & free. Can't remember the details, but yea, pretty similiar.
Old 28th January 2014, 15:47     #38596
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
GG to Lorde winning Grammys. I'm really surprised at the fuss over her fingers, though.
And she cleaned them up by the time she was up accepting. GG young lady.
Old 28th January 2014, 16:03     #38597
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
While that scenario has never happened to me, it's precisely why I got a credit card well before I needed one. It sat there doing barely anything more than the odd thinkgeek order. I figured a neutral credit history was better than no credit history.
Pretty much. Having a loan from a bank is a positive on your credit history. If a bank is willing to loan you money, you can't be doing too bad.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 28th January 2014 at 16:08.
Old 28th January 2014, 16:07     #38598
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
People are calling her 'frostbite fingers' and 'black death fingers' etc.
This is a win for Lorde, adds to her clearly popular image: "the weirdo won out".
Old 29th January 2014, 10:36     #38599
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Pretty much. Having a loan from a bank is a positive on your credit history. If a bank is willing to loan you money, you can't be doing too bad.
I kind of get that now, but when I was younger I was very much in the mind that if you needed a loan for something then somewhere along the way something had gone very very wrong.

I'm kind of resigned to the fact that even if I did want to get a mortgage or something now I probably wouldn't be able.

Pixie
Old 29th January 2014, 10:57     #38600
Trigger
Laserman

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Them : Well no record of bank loans, overdrafts, hire-purchases, revolving credit, credit cards, mortgages or any of that normal stuff. This raises a red flag for us.
that is one fucking stupid aspect of our society
it's NORMAL to buy shit you can't afford, great logic
I've never had any of the above either except for a Credit Card which I had to get to pay for my EverQuest subscription, and I use it for online purchases now because it's the only way to pay.
I'm hesitant to even consider a mortgage, I'll probably buy my house in cash cause you know, fuck paying more than you have to through interest.
In my 10 years of owning a credit card I've paid interest once to the tune of $2 or so which I challenged, apparently when you do a cash advance interest starts accumulating immediately rather than at normal end of billing cycle type stuff. Needles to say I was rustled.

Last edited by Trigger : 29th January 2014 at 10:59.