I DON'T SEE ANY ROMANS AROUND; DO YOU?
Old 13th December 2012, 15:15     #36603
Lightspeed

Laugh

^^ lolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
I do not, but I do see a lot of people playing at Romans.
Old 13th December 2012, 15:34     #36604
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 13th December 2012, 16:10     #36605
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I think they went the house.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:11     #36606
chiQ
Frag-muff

If you like rings it's a good excuse to get a new one and wear it at all times, but the idea of marking your territory like that seems so...brutish.
Old 13th December 2012, 16:18     #36607
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I think they went the house.
And if you do it again, I'll cut your balls off.
Old 13th December 2012, 20:54     #36608
Nich

I got a wedding ring story, it blows my mind.

I know a couple who are engaged to get married. The guy went to Michael Hill and had many many consultations with the staff there to pick a fine engagement ring. The guy worked his ass off 6-7 days a week saving up and making deposits to pay it off.

Now, the girl knew he was buying a ring because she watches his bank statements and saw where the money was going. She even knew when he would propose because she saw the final payment go through.

The guy turns 30, and a surprise party is thrown for him. Everyone says "speech speech!" so he gives an awkward speech and then proposes to her. Presents the hard won ring etc etc. She says yes and all is good.

That week, she sees that Michael Hill is having a 50% off sale. So she goes to Michael Hill, and trades in this engagement ring to get a ring of double worth. And the ring she gets is huge, hideous and covered in diamonds.

Can you believe that shit!? The Michael Hill staff (who knew the guy and this ring) tried to appeal to her to keep the ring that was paid off with such dedication. But no stopping her. Man I would cut myself free of that woman!
Old 13th December 2012, 22:33     #36609
CCS
Stunt Pants

I would cut that bitch. Cut her good.
Old 13th December 2012, 22:54     #36610
fidgit
Always itchy

For sure that's fucked, but if he'd followed my suggestion and let her in on the Which Ring Am I Getting decision earlier on, he could have avoided these issues.

Or ditched her because she's tacky and likes giant diamonds which are honestly just so last century.
Old 13th December 2012, 23:07     #36611
CCS
Stunt Pants

Whipped ^
Old 13th December 2012, 23:21     #36612
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
For sure that's fucked, but if he'd followed my suggestion and spent the money on hookers and blow, he could have avoided these issues
Sage advice, good sir.
Old 14th December 2012, 09:12     #36613
chiQ
Frag-muff

That's just wrong.
Old 14th December 2012, 10:17     #36614
?>Superman

H&B tbh
Old 14th December 2012, 11:52     #36615
xor

The people behind the Tiffany & Co adverts have got a lot to answer for
Old 14th December 2012, 18:02     #36616
fixed_truth

http://www.arpanetdialogues.net/vol-iv/
Quote:
17 April 1976 – The transcript presented here records a conversation between four figures from the broad spectrum of culture: puppeteer Jim Henson; Russian-American writer, philosopher and playwright Ayn Rand; painter Sidney Nolan; and artist and musician Yoko Ono.
Done quite well imo
Old 14th December 2012, 18:27     #36617
crocos

If this is accurate, then the first page makes Ayn Rand look like a mercenary anti-feminist bitch.

Old 15th December 2012, 04:04     #36618
crocos

I need a name for a liqueur I experimented into being:

Tastes like Tea and Chartreuse had a baby. I quite like it from the freezer.

Not exactly high in alcohol, around 26%. One day when I can be bothered mucking, I'll sort myself out a reflux still and then we'll be cranking the full-strength liqueurs and spirits, but for now... eh.

Ingredients:
500 ml Gin (40% min)
4 Earl Gray tea-bags
500g Corn Syrup
25g Juniper berries
2 generously heaped tablespoons of dextrose monohydrate (AKA glucose)

Last edited by crocos : 15th December 2012 at 04:06.
Old 15th December 2012, 08:37     #36619
Spink

call it the Dad Joke
Old 15th December 2012, 09:22     #36620
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
If this is accurate, then the first page makes Ayn Rand look like a mercenary anti-feminist bitch.
I thought she was a bloody Eliza-bot for a while. Did Jim Henson invent LOL..? And Yoko rage-quit?
Old 15th December 2012, 09:35     #36621
StN
I have detailed files

Ha! I just read the Reagan/Fonda one. Three jokers sitting around waiting for the chick to turn up. The moderator should have jumped in and trolled them. Reagan is a sly dog... Boobies > Commies

Quote:
Ronald Reagan: You know I dont know what you and Ed look like.
Marcel Broodthaers: I wonder how she will feel about this.
Ronald Reagan: We all know Janes appearance though. Strange to think about it.
Edward Said: Thats true.
Marcel Broodthaers: Shes a star. More famous than any of us.
Ronald Reagan: Did you see Barbarella.
Marcel Broodthaers: Of course.
Old 15th December 2012, 13:34     #36622
tor

Quote:
One day when I can be bothered mucking, I'll sort myself out a reflux still and then we'll be cranking the full-strength liqueurs and spirits, but for now... eh.
http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/7959 might be of interest to you.
Old 15th December 2012, 17:57     #36623
crocos

Yeah, they're a basic pot-still. They typically crank out about 40% ABV, and over here they're about 2/5ths of the price ($300 vs $770) of buying a full-sized reflux still that'll crank out high-90's% ABV. Not a bad choice for getting started, but the product would end up at about the same %.

Old 16th December 2012, 19:35     #36624
StN
I have detailed files

Some initial teething problems, but these guys are onto a gold mine.

Until their customers get married.
Old 16th December 2012, 20:32     #36625
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Just like everything she ever wrote, then?
Old 17th December 2012, 01:22     #36626
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Just like everything she ever wrote, then?
Oh? In that case I'm kinda glad I've not bothered reading anything she's written.

Old 17th December 2012, 17:04     #36627
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
I got a wedding ring story, it blows my mind....

That week, she sees that Michael Hill is having a 50% off sale. So she goes to Michael Hill, and trades in this engagement ring to get a ring of double worth. And the ring she gets is huge, hideous and covered in diamonds.

Can you believe that shit!? The Michael Hill staff (who knew the guy and this ring) tried to appeal to her to keep the ring that was paid off with such dedication. But no stopping her. Man I would cut myself free of that woman!
maybe i'm old and completely unsentimental but i don't really see how this is that bad.

i mean if she is actually getting a ring that is double the value for the same price then you might as well.

as for it being tacky isn't the idea of a woman's engagement ring that it's one that she likes?
Old 17th December 2012, 17:07     #36628
Spink

Wonder why there's stats like this for 2011 on stuff, http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10836065

but the gun death stats on wikipedia for NZ cite a 1993 source.

and all the relevant information being available up until atleast 2006 here, http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/new-zealand and sourced to stats.govt.nz

some wikipedia nerd go fix it for me plz
Old 17th December 2012, 17:08     #36629
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
isn't the idea of a woman's engagement ring that it's one that she likes?
Can you cite a source on this plz
Old 17th December 2012, 17:22     #36630
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
..as for it being tacky isn't the idea of a woman's engagement ring that it's one that she likes?
Agreed. She's the one that has to wear it for (theoretically, anyway) the rest of her life, she should actually like the thing.

Would have been good form for her to check with the fiancé before she traded it in for another, but it also would have been good for said fiancé to find out what she actually likes first. If he's crying about his hard earned cash being used for something that makes her happy when he'd rather she'd been stuck with his original choice, she should run for the hills.
Old 17th December 2012, 18:45     #36631
A Corpse
talkative lurker

When I proposed, I spent a LOT of time on the ring. I'd be right fucked off if she traded it in without even discussing it. It's as much a symbol of my love as it is her acceptance of my proposal.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:12     #36632
leadinjector

rings are a ridiculous thing anyway, i ended up giving her a ring shaped seashell (she said yes btw) and we are gonna make her a real ring using some jewels her grandma left her, which mean more to her than some stuff dug out of the ground by Djimon Hounsou and sold in a store.

agree with wulf... she's the one wearing it, if he didnt know her taste he shouldnta bought it tbh.
Old 18th December 2012, 08:37     #36633
Baxton

if she don't like the ring she can't always just say no. If my wife had the ring swapped without telling me I'ld take it and pawn it and spend the money on a personal snow vaction.
Old 18th December 2012, 09:25     #36634
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
I'ld take it and pawn it and spend the money on crack and the crack on crack whores.
Old 18th December 2012, 10:22     #36635
Baxton

o fuck yea crack whores. why didn't I say that? is it too late to change my order?
Old 18th December 2012, 10:35     #36636
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
... personal snow, v-action.
I thought you had it covered.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:14     #36637
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton & Quint
crack whore
Paul Steed did good.

Old 18th December 2012, 15:21     #36638
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
rings are a ridiculous thing anyway, i ended up giving her a ring shaped seashell (she said yes btw) and we are gonna make her a real ring using some jewels her grandma left her, which mean more to her than some stuff dug out of the ground by Djimon Hounsou and sold in a store.

agree with wulf... she's the one wearing it, if he didnt know her taste he shouldnta bought it tbh.
Congrats!! Nice idea with the placeholder ring
Old 18th December 2012, 17:03     #36639
chiQ
Frag-muff

I think if a guy is spending a stupid amount of money on a ring they should get to choose it, and if the chick takes herself so seriously that she has to have something else (such a good start to a marriage), then she should consult him. It's his many thousands of dollars she's decided he has spent incorrectly. Just doing whatever independently of the person who paid the vast sums of cash concerned is lame.

That said, I think if she doesn't like his choice, when he's paying, she should pay for her own ring.
Old 18th December 2012, 17:07     #36640
fixed_truth

Why 2012 was the best year ever
Quote:
It may not feel like it, but 2012 has been the greatest year in the history of the world. That sounds like an extravagant claim, but it is borne out by evidence. Never has there been less hunger, less disease or more prosperity. The West remains in the economic doldrums, but most developing countries are charging ahead, and people are being lifted out of poverty at the fastest rate ever recorded. The death toll inflicted by war and natural disasters is also mercifully low. We are living in a golden age.