Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 18th July 2003, 03:56     #1
Simon
SHG

I ate all the pies

Got invited along to what I thought was a social game of touch tonight. I didn't know much about it, just assumed it was going to be a friendly run-around.

How wrong I was. Somehow I'd been tricked into turning up to TEAM TRAINING as a fill-in for a missing player. I spent two and a half hours doing shuttle-run sprints, smashing into tackle bags, shoving a 16th-century scrum machine around the field, and getting pummelled in ruck-and-maul drills. I don't think I've ever felt so utterly out-of-shape in my entire life. I think I puked up a lung somewhere around the 120-minute mark. It hurts to type this.

Then the coach thanked me for coming along and told me to turn up for a seniors second-grade match on Saturday as they needed subs. I've somehow gone from thinking I was turning up to a social run-around into being drafted into the second row for a proper game. I'm going to fucking die.
Old 18th July 2003, 04:03     #2
Cookie

Thats how the Aussies play, my friend. Go hard or go home

They're all pansies in Adelaide though, I would have thought you'd be fine with them.
Old 18th July 2003, 04:06     #3
Uncle Gus

Laugh

HAHAHA, lol at Simon!!

But good on you, bro. You're a better man than me for it.
Old 18th July 2003, 04:06     #4
MoP

0wned
Old 18th July 2003, 04:09     #5
dylan
Huh?

did they, at any point, say that you could unsubscribe from their mailing list by simply sending an email to a particular address?
Old 18th July 2003, 04:10     #6
doppelgänger of someone

Aussies play rugby? Huh? All the people in this part of Australia give me a blank stare whenever I mention the word 'rugby'. Or perhaps they like my hair. That must be it.
Old 18th July 2003, 04:12     #7
Cookie

Quote:
Originally posted by doppelgänger of someone
Aussies play rugby? Huh? All the people in this part of Australia give me a blank stare whenever I mention the word 'rugby'. Or perhaps they like my hair. That must be it.
Where abouts are you?
Old 18th July 2003, 04:13     #8
Simon
SHG

I haven't packed down with a scrum since I was about 16. Locking a scrum with serious adult players is... different. I'm gonna need headgear or a ton of tape for Saturday, my ears almost got ripped off tonight.
Old 18th July 2003, 04:20     #9
doppelgänger of someone

Melbourne. I was told they love Aussie rule football here. Yuck.

Simon, you should stick with league
Old 18th July 2003, 04:25     #10
Cookie

Quote:
Melbourne. I was told they love Aussie rule football here. Yuck.
BLASPHEMY!
In Melbourne, AFL is win. You should go to a game at the MCG. Nothing like it. I think it would change your mind about Victoria's favourite game.

"Carn the Dees!!!@#!"
Old 18th July 2003, 04:28     #11
Uncle Gus

Wink

Quote:
Simon, you should stick with league
I think he'd rather play rugby.
Old 18th July 2003, 08:46     #12
markE

Good luck for Saturday.
Old 18th July 2003, 08:53     #13
DigitalDroppings

Re: I ate all the pies

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Got invited along to what I thought was a social game of touch tonight. I didn't know much about it, just assumed it was going to be a friendly run-around.

How wrong I was. Somehow I'd been tricked into turning up to TEAM TRAINING as a fill-in for a missing player. I spent two and a half hours doing shuttle-run sprints, smashing into tackle bags, shoving a 16th-century scrum machine around the field, and getting pummelled in ruck-and-maul drills. I don't think I've ever felt so utterly out-of-shape in my entire life. I think I puked up a lung somewhere near the far 22 around the 120-minute mark. It hurts to type this.

Then the coach thanked me for coming along and told me to turn up for a seniors second-grade match on Saturday as they needed subs. I've somehow gone from thinking I was turning up to a social run-around into being drafted into the second row for a proper game. I'm going to fucking die.
I revisited my old boxing trainer's Gym about 6 weeks ago and was invited to spar with a young 18yr old prospect. All I can say that I was belted around the ring for about 10 mins before I had to cowar out. I thought I would still be relatively fit, as I still jog most days and hit the bags every couple of days. So it shows how much actual competitive sport keeps you really fit and 'on the ball' figuratively speaking.
Old 18th July 2003, 09:15     #14
Uncle Fes

Cheesy grin

Just remember to do heaps of stretching,namely your back,neck...and hammys will get the mean workout too so give them plenty.You might be sore from your prac,but once you've warmed up and actually playing you should feel like a million bucks.
You the man!

I once went to my mates prac to watch,ended up on the wing that saturday cause in the prac,I zoomed around their left winger
So anyway.... after I got squashed by this Tongan bulldozer,I vowed to NEVER go to another prac in my life!He still haunts me:/
Old 18th July 2003, 09:21     #15
Deepee

its only aussies man.
just cork you're ass up if you're with those forwards and you'll be fine, mate .
also you should practice smashing your head against the wall so by saturday you should be able to comunicate with the jocks on an intellectual level too.

to ccomplete my jock post ill say : HARDEN UP PUSSY!
Old 18th July 2003, 09:25     #16
Hotstuff

Talking

HAHAHA reading between the lines I can sense a part of you enjoyed it Simon.

Well done; your post may even result in a mass nationwide revival of physical activities and inspire half the nation to dig out their disused sports gear etc

/me thinks of badminton racquet in cupboard
Old 18th July 2003, 09:44     #17
Evilmonkey

Yeh doesn't take much to let yourself go, you have to keep relativly active. Jogging just doesn't cut it. You have to actually work your muscles like doing a bit of sprinting at the end of your jog, to push your muscles.

I used to do next to nothing except a little roller blading after being extremely active. I still felt really fit and still looked fit. Then I did some social sport for 30 mins a week and my whole body would be sore for a couple of days after that. Its not cool .

Now I do more exercise so I am not sore afterwards. I am only 23 too heh.
Old 18th July 2003, 09:50     #18
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Laugh

Now that, right there, is called KARMA! Think twice before you sneak in any further EQ comments, barbarian swine!
Old 18th July 2003, 10:01     #19
Alucard

some one here actually plays sport? Pfft.
Old 18th July 2003, 10:31     #20
DigitalDroppings

Quote:
Originally posted by Alucard
some one here actually plays sport? Pfft.
I suppose if masterbating were a sport then most of us here would be world class athletes.
Old 18th July 2003, 10:43     #21
Nemises

lol...bummer man...

christ I can imagine how I'd feel if asked to go back on the rugby field...I'd be wet'n me pants right about...*now*
Old 18th July 2003, 11:05     #22
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDroppings
I suppose if masterbating were a sport then most of us here would be world class athletes.
Aparently masturbating reduces the risk of prostate cancer ... sorry lost the link maybe can find it again if anyones interested ... but yeh 5 times + a week is apparently healthy . Although I recon you would get a bruised penis :P.
Old 18th July 2003, 11:19     #23
DigitalDroppings

^^ especially if you have a strong grip.
Old 18th July 2003, 11:49     #24
Deepee

Quote:
Originally posted by Evilmonkey
Aparently masturbating reduces the risk of prostate cancer ... sorry lost the link maybe can find it again if anyones interested ... but yeh 5 times + a week is apparently healthy . Although I recon you would get a bruised penis :P.
I too would believe any justification which would mask your masterbating insecurities.
Old 18th July 2003, 11:53     #25
Furry Crew

Quote:

As requested

Wanking IS good for you!

Old 18th July 2003, 13:07     #26
DeepThroat

Also seen in New Scientist
Old 18th July 2003, 14:02     #27
Markh

muh

Quote:
If wanking bruises your penis then I think it's safe to say your technique is flawed. Though 5 times a day could be a bit much, maybe.
Old 18th July 2003, 14:05     #28
catharsis

Thumbs up Re: I ate all the pies

Quote:

How wrong I was. Somehow I'd been tricked into turning up to TEAM TRAINING as a fill-in for a missing player. I spent two and a half hours doing shuttle-run sprints, smashing into tackle bags, shoving a 16th-century scrum machine around the field, and getting pummelled in ruck-and-maul drills. I don't think I've ever felt so utterly out-of-shape in my entire life. I think I puked up a lung somewhere near the far 22 around the 120-minute mark. It hurts to type this.

That is seriously one awesome effort Simon.. I'm 100% sure that I would actually die if I had to do that shit without at least three weeks or so of preparation.
Good on you.
Old 18th July 2003, 14:25     #29
te DrZyb

Quote:
Originally posted by Cookie
BLASPHEMY!
In Melbourne, AFL is win. You should go to a game at the MCG. Nothing like it. I think it would change your mind about Victoria's favourite game.

"Carn the Dees!!!@#!"
telstra dome > MCG

dunno if this is true for every other non-nsw/qld state, but as a demonstration of how non-rugby'ish the rest of the country might be, in tassie we didn't get origin live, it was shown at 1030. i think we got some shitty movie for origin 1, some other shitty movie for origin 2 and ej whittens oldcuntstryingtoplayafl for origin 3. which was pretty shit.

the only live nrl game on fta tv here is the nrl final I think.

while this is pretty poor in general, on the upside, league is shit. if nrl was rugby union that'd be cool and i'd actually care about not seeing it on tele :\
Old 18th July 2003, 14:35     #30
scr
SO'S YOUR FACE!

Quote:
Originally posted by te DrZyb
telstra dome > MCG

dunno if this is true for every other non-nsw/qld state, but as a demonstration of how non-rugby'ish the rest of the country might be, in tassie we didn't get origin live, it was shown at 1030. i think we got some shitty movie for origin 1, some other shitty movie for origin 2 and ej whittens oldcuntstryingtoplayafl for origin 3. which was pretty shit.

the only live nrl game on fta tv here is the nrl final I think.
thats because channel 9 are fuckasses.
Old 18th July 2003, 14:44     #31
te DrZyb

Quote:
Originally posted by scr
thats because channel 9 are fuckasses.
agreed

'cept it's called WIN here

WIN is not win! (?)
Old 18th July 2003, 14:49     #32
Evilmonkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Markh
If wanking bruises your penis then I think it's safe to say your technique is flawed. Though 5 times a day could be a bit much, maybe.
I wouldnt know.
Old 18th July 2003, 16:45     #33
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

Quote:
Originally posted by Cookie
"Carn the Dees!!!@#!"
the fuck is this, some sort of australian mating call?
Old 18th July 2003, 16:51     #34
scr
SO'S YOUR FACE!

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceCowboy
the fuck is this, some sort of australian mating call?
hell no, cookie is a stupid victorian.
Old 18th July 2003, 17:55     #35
Simon
SHG

At a guess I would say it's a mangling of "COME ON THE DEMONS"... Melbourne Football Club?
Old 18th July 2003, 18:13     #36
Cookie

Quote:
At a guess I would say it's a mangling of "COME ON THE DEMONS"... Melbourne Football Club?
Correct, good sir.

AFL 0wns all. =P
Old 20th July 2003, 01:01     #37
Simon
SHG

UPDATE: I am now sore in places where I didn't even know I had places.
Old 20th July 2003, 01:45     #38
pkp|ex

The next few days after madness like that is the baddest

Last tuesday spent the day doing a recycle run, which is similar to a rubbish run where the guys ride on the back of a truck biffing bags in it, except I picked up shopping type bags and boxes of glass and paper and plastic and biffed it in the right department of the truck.

Am just coming off that same thing where various body parts scream 'what the fuck was that' for the the next few days

Good luck though simon If you warm up the pain ( which I assume is that lactic acid stuff ) goes away and operations proceed as normal, till you cool down again. Throw some mongrel at some auzzies pls
Old 20th July 2003, 12:55     #39
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally posted by Furry Crew
As requested

Wanking IS good for you!
Save a life, give head NOW
Old 21st July 2003, 16:47     #40
Simon
SHG

muh

Well, here's how it all turned out. I turned up at the ground on Saturday morning and found out that the second-grade team had numbers and didn't need (or really want) me, so I could either play in the reserves and maybe get a bit of game time, or play for the fourth-grade squad and get a full game. Fucked if I'd gone out and bought new boots and headgear and shit just to warm the bench, so I started at No. 4 for the fourth-grade team in their game. The pace wasn't too bad, but I was fucking knackered by midway through the second half. Injury-wise I came out OK, it was a pretty clean game -- I took an anonymous fist to the face in one maul, had some mountain of a guy stomp my right foot in another (foot now purple and yellow but nothing broken), and I have a couple of sets of racing stripes where some opposing players decided that an unfit yours truly wasn't rolling away from a tackle fast enough. I was basically irrelevant in the lineouts, as I knew none of the lineout calls, but I think I locked pretty well in the scrums... my fitness is shit, but my legs are still very strong. I even managed to pull off an emergency halfback impersonation at the back of one ruck without dropping the ball (thank god).

So, all things considered, a successful morning, even though the team lost the game. I could barely move come Saturday evening, but I had a good run around, did at least a few things right and nothing totally wrong... not bad for someone as out of practice as myself. And fuck, that first beer after the post-game shower tasted bloody amazing.

In order for the club to have insurance coverage in the event of injury, I had to officially register and pay membership fees to the Australian Rugby Union... so I guess I'm doing this every week until the end of the season