Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 3rd October 2023, 13:52     #521
Lightspeed

James Webb telescope makes 'JuMBO' discovery of planet-like objects in Orion

Quote:
Jupiter-sized "planets" free-floating in space, unconnected to any star, have been spotted by the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST).
Old 20th October 2023, 18:11     #522
Lightspeed

Comet C/2023 A3 Could Be the Next Great Comet

Quote:
Currently , C/2023 A3 is very faint as it flies outside Jupiter’s orbit, but the fun will peak next year when it skims closely past the Earth and the Sun. Its perigee, or closest approach to Earth, will occur on October 12, 2024 placing the comet less than 0.5 Earth-Sun distances (AU) from our planet. Perihelion will occur shortly before, on September 27, 2024..

Interestingly, both of these points in the comet’s orbit will position it between the Earth and Sun. This "forward scattering event" may bolster the comet's brightness. In this case, sunlight coming from behind the comet, according to our perspective on Earth , is scattered off of dust particles in the comet’s coma towards our eyes . As a result, the comet could appear brighter than we would expect, but there is a caveat – its sandwiching between the Earth and the Sun means the best viewing will occur during the evening or morning instead of the darkness of night.
Old 31st December 2023, 14:46     #523
Lightspeed

NASA’s 3D-printed Rotating Detonation Rocket Engine Test

Quote:
Test stand video captured at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, shows ignition of a full-scale Rotating Detonation Rocket Engine combustor, which was fired for a record 251 seconds and achieved more than 5,800 pounds of thrust.
What Is A Rotating Detonation Engine - And Why Are They Better Than Regular Engines
Old 26th February 2024, 15:33     #524
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

What if Singularities DO NOT Exist?

Quote:
It's not too often that a giant of physics threatens to overturn an idea held to be self-evident by generations of physicists. Well, that may be the fate of the famous Penrose Singularity Theorem if we're to believe a recent paper by Roy Kerr. Long story short, the terrible singularity at the heart of the black hole may be no more.
Old 26th February 2024, 18:37     #525
_indigo1

Isn't that complete rubbish?

The singularity is an anomaly whereby we hit the limits of our mathematics and what we calculate would be at that position in spacetime becomes undefined.

I'm not watching the youtube - but I've seen several clickbait articles pop up around this and it seems nonsense - based on a complete misunderstanding of what a singularity "is", exploiting a laymen's idea of what one is.

Main point is to say it doesn't "exist" is nonsensical. That means the person was able to solve the equations in such a way as to get an answer for the inputs that produce the singularity.

Have they done that?
Old 26th February 2024, 18:40     #526
Lightspeed

I mean...

If you reckon Roy Kerr might completely misunderstand what a singularity is after what he's achieved...
Old 26th February 2024, 18:45     #527
_indigo1

An appeal to authority as a way to undermine and dismiss.
How lame, can't say I'm surprised though.
How about some stimulating intellectual discussion instead - like actually addressing the subject matter.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 26th February 2024 at 18:48.
Old 26th February 2024, 18:59     #528
Lightspeed

Your approach to such a discussion is not very... inviting.

But even if it were, I have no capacity to argue general relativity to this degree.

I do know just enough however to recognise that anything Roy Kerr is publishing is going to be robust, when it comes to the subject of black holes.
Old 26th February 2024, 19:15     #529
_indigo1

Ok, took me five seconds of looking into Roy to see I was right.
The articles are clickbaity and misrepresentative.
Roy agrees with what I said - he thinks singularities don't PHYSICALLY exist.
Ergo; they are a mathematical limit.

You could have just said that instead of being all defensive and snarky.
FWIW my original reply was not uninviting. That you viewed it that way is the same reason for the lack of surprise in my prior comment.
Intimates you spend too much time on social media IMO. Defensive point scoring mode.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 26th February 2024 at 19:18.
Old 26th February 2024, 19:20     #530
Lightspeed

Whoever you're having an argument with, it's not me?

What I did was share a video on some cool science involving a cool kiwi, and responding incredulously to the suggestion that Roy's work was "rubbish".

You've clearly got something in mind, but I'm not following it.
Old 26th February 2024, 19:29     #531
_indigo1

I didn't call Roy's work rubbish.
I outlined exactly what I called rubbish, and it was specifically to do with what was presented as quote - I straight up said I didn't watch the video.

Turns out Roy backs me up, and what is rubbish is the presentation of his findings inaccurately - in this case specifically by what you quoted.

I was asking some thought provoking -QUESTIONS- which I thought might be right up your alley.

Instead of engaging them you got all defensive immediately.

Seriously dude.
Get off the internet for a while.
Old 26th February 2024, 19:34     #532
Lightspeed

That was just the intro to the video.

If you knew who Roy Kerr was before you went off on your rant, you probably would have caught that there was more to it.

Now that you've caught up, do you get how absurd it is to suggest that Roy Kerr's work might be "based on a complete misunderstanding of what a singularity 'is'"?
Old 26th February 2024, 19:41     #533
_indigo1

No not at all actually, because I don' t treat science tribally.

I don't care who published something because science is about the data not the source - so no, appeals to authority do not do it for me, and conversely I do not feel aggrieved when someone appears to say something that might contradict someone I hold in esteem - because that is trust me bro science, and not how it should be.

If I were you I would work to look at the substance of discourse and not look for reasons to emotionally charge it like that.

I think what I said was completely valid given what was presented - but I wasn't sure which is why I asked. It actually -WAS- an invitation for you to correct my assumption since it was based only on existing data and reason.

So let me try to reply to my original message on your behalf:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLightspeed
Yeah when you put it that way it does seem odd to say it doesn't exist - but it turns out (since you watched the video you know this) that he is only saying that they don't physically exist - which actually agrees with the definition of a singularity as a mathematical limit - i.e. he is agreeing with what you said, that there is no reason to extend the mathematical anomaly to a physically existing one.

But yeah - science journalism - they NEVER embellish anything, right?

Last edited by _indigo1 : 26th February 2024 at 19:43.
Old 26th February 2024, 20:05     #534
Lightspeed

It's not tribal to think that the guy who came up with the exact solution to a rotating black hole might have some sense of what a singularity is. Someone who has enjoyed a long career of successful academia.

And if you were still doubt, you could have watched the video!

Or found out what the actual body of work was, instead of guessing, only to find out when you do "oh, it's not the absurd thing I imagined after all".

I watched the video going "wow, that's a cool swirly! And he's from New Zealand, wooow."

You've given me a lot of unsolicited advice just now. Might I suggest you consider it for yourself?
Old 26th February 2024, 20:08     #535
_indigo1

Ok lightspeed.
You win the internet. You get all the points.

Sorry for being excited to share your excitement and engage you on the topic.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 26th February 2024 at 20:09.
Old 27th February 2024, 07:42     #536
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Thanks for posting that video, I watched it and enjoyed it. It was great to understand that Kerr is challenging the currently held expectation that a singularity must exist. He's not saying they must not exist, but putting into question the conclusions people are drawing from the current understanding of the mechanics.

indigo1, I don't know what shaped carrot was up your butt when you were posting above, but it wasn't helpful, sure as heck wasn't an invitation for a constructive and meaningful discussion, and it wasn't defensive of LS to question why you're calling it rubbish and lame, after not even watching the video in question.
Old 14th March 2024, 10:52     #537
StN
I have detailed files

Will it go once around then target Perth? Pine Gap?

Place your bets!

Link to X
Old 15th March 2024, 09:39     #538
StN
I have detailed files

Wow! I got up at 12:20 but the live stream was postponed every 10-15 minutes until they got the all-clear (Shrimp boats in the Gulf? I blame Forrest...)

Nice clean countdown, and an excellent launch. Hot staging worked just like a bought one, and I managed to grab a nice screen grab for my wallpaper of the booster pointing the other way as Starship keeps on trucking.

Booster seemed to be wobbling a bit - grid fins were flipping around like mad things, so I suspect they couldn't get it stable enough to make the landing burn effective, and it hit the Gulf with a bit of grunt. Maybe worth a bit more testing in that area before they target the tower catch - wouldn't want to miss and take out the launch complex!

Starship made it to orbit, 200+ kms up, and hooning around at 26000km/h, opened and closed the door for future Starlink deploys, and apparently ran the routine to simulate transferring fuel in flight (not sure if that was the mating process or just proving they can pump Lox and Methane between the header tanks and the main ones on zero-G. They skipped the attempt to do an engine re-light in flight - wonder if that related to the fuel shuffle?

Anyway, really cool pics of it lining itself up to splash down, and the plasma was awesome - Starlink did what it could to relay the hi-res pics up until the blackout, and then the ship was lost - first test of the tiles, so perhaps some learnings there.

All data is good data!

Last edited by StN : 15th March 2024 at 09:41.
Old 18th March 2024, 00:14     #539
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

The CIA Scientist Who Built “UFOs”

This belongs on the periphery of the "science" thread, but it's an interesting watch about what we might call UFO technology - the potentially classified/top secret aeronautic tech (anti-gravity).

There's a lot of material I've not heard before - and enough science-y words that make you consider what the technologies are about. It focuses on the work of Townsend Brown, so if you know his work, you probably know this documentary already, but if not, you might like it.

Last edited by DrTiTus : 18th March 2024 at 00:17.
Old 18th March 2024, 08:03     #540
wazza
*flex*

small world, i watched(listened to) that 3 times while I slept recently
Old 24th March 2024, 22:05     #541
Lightspeed

Lightbulb

How to see T Coronae Borealis, the ‘brightest nova of the generation’

Quote:
A star that hasn’t been seen with the naked eye since the 1940s will appear for a fleeting moment in our night sky this year. The luminous point of light is the effect of an outburst, called a nova, from a star system known as T Coronae Borealis (T CrB). T CrB has charmed many generations of astronomers who have tracked, read historical records, or seen the star. Its previous eruptions have been observed since at least 1217 A.D.

Typically, T CrB is not visible to the naked eye at a magnitude of 10. When it reaches peak brightness, T CrB will be comparable to Polaris, the North Star, which has a magnitude of 2. (The smaller the number, the brighter it is.) It should remain this bright for a few days to a week before vanishing again.
Old Yesterday, 16:05     #542
Lightspeed

Astronomers Unveil Strong Magnetic Fields Spiraling at the Edge of Milky Way’s Central Black Hole