Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Blade Runner score for me. RIP.
Old 20th May 2022, 10:52     #43202
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I'm looking at making hand/finger splints, and getting creative with it. So a specific need at this point, but only if it makes sense. Might look at selling them so I'll take into consideration ROI, cost of consumables etc too.

Thanks for the recommendations so far guys
FYI existing finger splints have a cost price in the $3-6NZD range (depending on size), half round ones for a fingertip are less than a dollar, hand/arm splints for a child are about $20, but are likely too big to be printed with a normal machine. Cardboard splints are also available for lower cost options. (Source: unrevealed, not compromising my current employment) Texture/material will be important if they're against your skin - you wouldn't want sharp/rough edges - finishing/post processing would be important, as well as print orientation so they are strong in the right direction. If you printed them vertically to fit more in a single run, they'd probably snap too easily. It's the sort of product that would be injection moulded I would expect.

3D printing is good for prototyping/one offs (eg wheelchair for a tiny dog with gammy legs), but I wouldn't try to become an assembly line with one, unless you're making DIY kits for nerds who appreciate printed parts and have plenty of margin in other components. The time/fuck around/misprints are pretty stressful - I was a 3D printer hub online for a bit, and got out of that after a Daft Punk helmet consumed a few days for $70. The hardest part would be scaling up the operation, and moulds aren't particularly cheap, but do pay for themselves if you can sell huge numbers.

I'm not shitting on your plan - someone has to make everything that we consume, and it's a good idea - I'm just giving you information that might be useful.
Old 20th May 2022, 11:59     #43203
MadMax
Stuff

Very sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
RIP Vangelis

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...de-runner-dies

What an absolute legend.
Old 20th May 2022, 12:23     #43204
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck
RIP Vangelis

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...de-runner-dies

What an absolute legend.
It's just as you say. RIP.
Old 20th May 2022, 13:03     #43205
_indigo1

Like tears in the rain . . .
Old 20th May 2022, 17:42     #43206
wazza
*flex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Must be that good karma - or you're a hard worker. One of those :P Congrats.
Thanks <3
Old 21st May 2022, 13:56     #43207
Lightspeed

Old 23rd May 2022, 13:58     #43208
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
You probably aren't sleeping enough to have memorable dreams. I find it's only when the body has stored up enough serotonin for the coming day that it switches over to vivid dreaming mode.
I ran the experiment (went to bed at like 8:30pm), and sure enough, my brain flicked into dream mode. I did, however, lose 4 hours of my day to absolute nonsense. I also woke up at 6am while it was still freezing cold and sat there wondering whether I should light the fire. I'm not sure I like the trade off, but your claim appears to be correct.
Old 23rd May 2022, 15:31     #43209
_indigo1

Quote:
I ran the experiment (went to bed at like 8:30pm), and sure enough, my brain flicked into dream mode. I did, however, lose 4 hours of my day to absolute nonsense. I also woke up at 6am while it was still freezing cold and sat there wondering whether I should light the fire. I'm not sure I like the trade off, but your claim appears to be correct.
Cool

You can shorten time to 'dream mode' by supplementing 5HTP.
In theory, plentiful 5HTP allows your brain to reach peak serotonin stores faster.

No idea if that theory is correct, but the result is, for me at least.

Man I've had some hyper-detailed dreams on 5HTP.

In one, I designed a skyscraper.
It had a hollow inside, like a donut - designed in that way to allow a counterweight in the middle to make it stable during quakes, and allow air to blow 'through' it and into the middle of the donut, up and out - meaning it was impervious to high winds.

It wasn't just a facade of a skyscraper - like the mental rough outline of one - I knew precise detailed construction for the entire thing, all at once.

https://www.chemistwarehouse.co.nz/b...mg-60-capsules
Fun trial for a bit of a trip - however if you are on serotonergic meds gotta take care.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 23rd May 2022 at 15:35.
Old 23rd May 2022, 16:14     #43210
Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Cool

You can shorten time to 'dream mode' by supplementing 5HTP.
In theory, plentiful 5HTP allows your brain to reach peak serotonin stores faster.

No idea if that theory is correct, but the result is, for me at least.

Man I've had some hyper-detailed dreams on 5HTP.

In one, I designed a skyscraper.
It had a hollow inside, like a donut - designed in that way to allow a counterweight in the middle to make it stable during quakes, and allow air to blow 'through' it and into the middle of the donut, up and out - meaning it was impervious to high winds.

It wasn't just a facade of a skyscraper - like the mental rough outline of one - I knew precise detailed construction for the entire thing, all at once.

https://www.chemistwarehouse.co.nz/b...mg-60-capsules
Fun trial for a bit of a trip - however if you are on serotonergic meds gotta take care.
Hmmm, I wonder if that would help with Lucid dreaming....
Might have to give it a try...
Old 23rd May 2022, 16:35     #43211
StN
I have detailed files

Old 24th May 2022, 15:44     #43212
Cyberbob

Quote:
I'm not shitting on your plan - someone has to make everything that we consume, and it's a good idea - I'm just giving you information that might be useful.
Thanks for all of that. I have no idea how long the consumables last for. Do you think one regular filament roll would do 1, 10 or 100 small items? I really don't have much of an idea of scale.
Old 24th May 2022, 17:40     #43213
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Assuming all figures are just guesses:

50 thimbles from a 1kg roll (@ 20g including supports and base layer)
$25 for a 1kg roll of ABS
15-20 minutes printing per thimble
Call it 2 days work (16 hours) to print 50 of them with loading, removing, delay between jobs because you got bored, etc.
Materials alone might be 50c, without power + printer costs.

If you can sell them for $1 each, you've "doubled your money" in two days (woo hoo!), but you've made $25 in total for 16 hours work (oh what?). Then consider tax + expenses, and you're effectively running a charity. That's where scale of injection moulding comes in, because you can't make it print any faster. Clothes pegs are manufactured and sold for a profit, and they're sold cheaper than medical items, so there has to be a way to do it - no normal person is 3D printing their own clothes pegs, for good reason.
Old 26th May 2022, 13:42     #43214
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The algorithm knows me too well

Rammstein’s New Video Pays Homage to Large-Breasted Women: Watch

https://flip.it/vYXHXn
Old 26th May 2022, 22:29     #43215
crocos

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 26th May 2022 at 22:32.
Old 28th May 2022, 22:46     #43216
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 29th May 2022, 15:31     #43217
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

If you put all living humans into a blender and made human goo, then formed into a sphere/meatball, you would end up a big ball of goo just under 1km across (diameter). Assumptions are that humans have a density of 985kg/m3, and the average human weighs 62kg.

Source: Reddit
Old 31st May 2022, 19:02     #43218
MadMax
Stuff

Rang someone that was sending us spam today and asked for the person who's name was at the top of the email. Asked him where they collect the emails from and he plainly stated that he collects them from the internet and that ours must have been publicly listed.

I put it to him that listing an email address is not an invitation for unsolicited spam but he simply didn't get it.

Off to the DIA + spamcop + our spam filter provider + multiple service providers goes your email!
Old 31st May 2022, 19:04     #43219
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Rang someone that was sending us spam today and asked for the person who's name was at the top of the email. Asked him where they collect the emails from and he plainly stated that he collects them from the internet and that ours must have been publicly listed.

I put it to him that listing an email address is not an invitation for unsolicited spam but he simply didn't get it.

Off to the DIA + spamcop + our spam filter provider + multiple service providers goes your email!
doing the Lord's work
Old 7th June 2022, 06:59     #43220
wazza
*flex*

how come i can't buy 2 x tickets to Tom Segura's Auckland gig for the front section?

https://www.ticketmaster.co.nz/event...D68?did=artist

i can buy 1 ticket, but why can't i buy two? very annoying.
Old 7th June 2022, 12:29     #43221
wazza
*flex*

my salary went up 8% in january and effective july it goes up another 12%

i was putting 30%(gross) in to kiwisaver, guess i will nudge it closer to 40%(gross)

i dont really know what else to do with it.
Old 7th June 2022, 16:26     #43222
Brutus

Luck you.

Unless you're thinking to draw down kiwi saver for a house in future don't put more in than you have to.
Put it into something you control and can draw down on if needed some rainy day.

Heck. Even if you lack the motivation to learn to pick your own shares.
Most providers also offer private managed fund where you can access your fund as you wish. Without needing to jump through hoops.

Also means you could access those funds to retire early... Which kiwisaver doesn't allow.
Old 7th June 2022, 18:31     #43223
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

TERRA LUNA
Old 7th June 2022, 19:13     #43224
wazza
*flex*

thanks, Brutus. that gives me something to think about
Old 7th June 2022, 21:32     #43225
Know me.

. delete me.

Last edited by Know me. : 7th June 2022 at 21:33.
Old 8th June 2022, 07:25     #43226
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus
Unless you're thinking to draw down kiwi saver for a house in future don't put more in than you have to.
Put it into something you control and can draw down on if needed some rainy day.

Heck. Even if you lack the motivation to learn to pick your own shares.
Most providers also offer private managed fund where you can access your fund as you wish. Without needing to jump through hoops.

Also means you could access those funds to retire early... Which Kiwi Saver doesn't allow.
This x 1000.

I might well be dumb (and not someone to take financial advice from) but it's one of the reasons I have held off moving employers on a whim. I'm not in Kiwi Saver, but have funds in an alternate scheme - without the fish hooks. As far as I am aware, as soon as I get a job elsewhere, I am compelled to join the minimum and have that locked away until I am 65 (assuming I make it!).

Fully intend to win Lotto before then and retire early.
Old 8th June 2022, 08:47     #43227
Know me.

Once you are automatically enrolled you can opt out so don't let that stop you getting a new job. https://www.ird.govt.nz/kiwisaver/ki...t-of-kiwisaver

Odds are that you will live to 65 and well beyond so its a no brainer to stay in and at least put in the minimum 3% and collect the free 3% from your employer and the annual government contribution. Then put anything else into a fund that you can access when needed.
Old 8th June 2022, 09:18     #43228
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know me.
...put in the minimum 3% and collect the free 3% from your employer and the annual government contribution. Then put anything else into a fund that you can access when needed.
Employer already does 10% - if I go to KiwiSaver they take the 3% out of that.
Old 8th June 2022, 12:33     #43229
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Um the Washington Post is on fire
Old 11th June 2022, 13:42     #43230
Ajax
Architeuthis

US inflation data for May coming in red hot: 8.6% increase year-on-year (the largest 12-month increase since 1981). Food index at 10.1%. Troubled times ahead.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm
Old 11th June 2022, 13:43     #43231
Ajax
Architeuthis

Print money ---> get rekt.
Old 11th June 2022, 15:14     #43232
Lightspeed

I'm not sure the actual reality, but I've heard a lot about large businesses making record profits during this period of inflation.

Is inflation at least in part due to the efforts of those with money to claw back the value they've lost due to the inevitable devaluing of currency that occurs when its handed out freely?

The payments being a redistribution of wealth to keep vulnerable people afloat during a time of crisis, which at least in New Zealand has worked to a degree. We were able to stop working for unprecedented periods which allowed us to avoid the worst of the pandemic before we had some means to mitigate it.

Every time I see this graph I am grateful we managed to avoid a widespread outbreak before the bulk of the population was vaccinated.
Old 11th June 2022, 17:53     #43233
Know me.

Its not a redistribution of wealth, quite the opposite. The money was created by the central bank (not taken off the wealthy) and handed out to businesses (not to individuals). It was a money scramble and every business hand their hand out. It turns out that a lot of businesses didn't actually need the cash, some gave it back but most just kept it. The money has all ended up with the wealthy (if it wasn't already) and guess what, everyone has to pay it back.
Old 11th June 2022, 18:00     #43234
Lightspeed

I'm sceptical businesses got more money while people were at home not working than if there was no disruption to business.
Old 11th June 2022, 18:17     #43235
Know me.

They were at home working. In the meantime 53 billion was handed out.

53 billion = nz super fund.
Old 11th June 2022, 20:23     #43236
Lightspeed

What? That's not what happened. Companies with staff who were still working didn't get government money.

Sure, some companies took the money then didn't pass it onto their non-working employees, but the money mostly went to people who couldn't work.
Old 11th June 2022, 21:51     #43237
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Laugh

I just got stupid money for a stupid item on Trade Me that I declared I could not confirm it even works. Thank you to this person for buying my trash and delaying it ending up in the landfill by about a week.
Old 12th June 2022, 10:28     #43238
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
I just got stupid money for a stupid item on Trade Me that I declared I could not confirm it even works. Thank you to this person for buying my trash and delaying it ending up in the landfill by about a week.
I had a similar experience - wanted to get rid of a crappy pine chest of drawers and put it on TradeMe with a $1 reserve, clearly stating that it was old and tired and showing numerous pics of its flaws. For some reason it escalated into a bidding war and went up over $100, then the buyer arrived to collect it and bitched about it being overpriced I told him to take it away for free. lesson learned, should have set a fixed price.
Old 12th June 2022, 13:30     #43239
wazza
*flex*

lol
Old 12th June 2022, 23:27     #43240
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Not a Commodore 64 or something similar?