Originally Posted by crocos
the rather short life-span of a typical Android handset
wut
Old 17th March 2013, 11:22     #13082
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrtigo
wut
Even flagship Android handsets are lucky to get one OS update. That's a fucking short timespan compared to the iOS "everything in the last 4-5 years" approach.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 17th March 2013, 11:44     #13083
_indigo1

Quote:
Woah buddy. Don't make your insecurity my problem. I merely asked if you had been coding long (and yes it was loaded question)

Its also lol++ that you feel so incensed that I would ask such a question (as I don't know you) then turn around and do the same back (coding probably longer than you've been alive)
YAY for consistency.

By your logic, anyone who writes an app is someone with 'vested interest'? O.o

There are plenty of awesome an extremely useful apps on the android market written by 'one guy'. I'm not sure what you're considering a 'big app'

I think you need to have a look at a language newer than fortran.
Old 17th March 2013, 11:50     #13084
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
The iPhone is a single handset and it gets apps
That's because the iPhone represents 100% of the handsets running iOS, and those are handsets that make people money and are used by people who spend money. Huge market.

The SGS4 is 1 of over 4000 different handsets running Android, which means it represents 0.00025% of the Android handset market, a market populated by people without money and who don't spend it if they do have it. Insignificant.
Old 17th March 2013, 12:00     #13085
blur^

i would like to do a poll of people on welfare in america
and what type of phone they have

my money on iphone
Old 17th March 2013, 12:28     #13086
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That's because the iPhone represents 100% of the handsets running iOS, and those are handsets that make people money and are used by people who spend money. Huge market.

The SGS4 is 1 of over 4000 different handsets running Android, which means it represents 0.00025% of the Android handset market, a market populated by people without money and who don't spend it if they do have it. Insignificant.
No arguments there.

Although, if you want to get finicky (you invented numbers); Samsung has roughly 22% market share circa 2012. The S4 will get a fair chunk given time.

Not really an apple/samsung thing though. Was simply illustrating that the idea that noone will build apps that use an S4 feature is silly. If its a good feature, the apps will be built.

Also: re apple having bigger share of sales: DO they?

Last edited by _indigo1 : 17th March 2013 at 12:33.
Old 17th March 2013, 12:32     #13087
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
i would like to do a poll of people on welfare in america
and what type of phone they have

my money on iphone
Biggest-selling smartphone in the USA, wouldn't be surprised.
Old 17th March 2013, 13:40     #13088
blur^

so the smartphone of choice for poors
in one of the largest smartphone markets in the world?
Old 17th March 2013, 14:33     #13089
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Remember when you were 10 or 11 years old and you learned about sets during maths class at school?
Old 17th March 2013, 15:41     #13090
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Quote:
Even flagship Android handsets are lucky to get one OS update. That's a fucking short timespan compared to the iOS "everything in the last 4-5 years" approach.
the hell are you talking about? gingerbread phones are still used worldwide. they dont suddenly brick themselves.
Old 17th March 2013, 15:43     #13091
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

hahahah this thread keeps reaching new levels of hyperbole and exaggeration, so much popcorn
Old 17th March 2013, 16:13     #13092
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrtigo
the hell are you talking about? gingerbread phones are still used worldwide. they dont suddenly brick themselves.
MOST of the Android devices in the world are running Gingerbread.
Old 17th March 2013, 16:55     #13093
_indigo1

That point is pretty counter intuitive given one of the common quotes is that Android is for geeks and autistics who love to tweak; but the iDevices are for the everyman who don't want/need geeky functionality.

I wager a great many iOS using laymens don't even know what an OS update is aside from the marketing hype, let alone care what version they have.

My mum has a gingerbread, she doesn't know its gingerbread, and every couple of days she tells me she loves her phone.
Old 17th March 2013, 17:06     #13094
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

When ios6 was released it was on 15% of ios devices within 24hrs; 60% in 30 days; 85% in 5 months.

So what are you wagering?
Old 17th March 2013, 17:09     #13095
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
When ios6 was released it was on 15% of ios devices within 24hrs; 60% in 30 days; 85% in 5 months.

So what are you wagering?
A great many iOS using laymans..

I wasn't disagreeing with you btw

Last edited by _indigo1 : 17th March 2013 at 17:10.
Old 17th March 2013, 18:17     #13096
Savage

lol

_indigo, the Backpedaling Welterweight Champion of the World.
Old 17th March 2013, 18:33     #13097
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
MOST of the Android devices in the world are running Gingerbread.
Old 17th March 2013, 18:45     #13098
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Actually I just checked updated stats - changed since Feb - and as of March Gingerbread has a plurality of the Android userbase with 44% but no longer an outright majority.

Still - how laughable is that.
Old 17th March 2013, 18:46     #13099
Savage

nm, Ab got it

Last edited by Savage : 17th March 2013 at 18:49.
Old 17th March 2013, 19:19     #13100
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
lol

_indigo, the Backpedaling Welterweight Champion of the World.
No backpedaling, tard.

I was commenting on apple fans holding up how up to date their OS is kept with glee, which is a bit contradictory to their usual drivel of apple being for regular people (who wouldn't give a shit about some version number on their phone) as opposed to Android users, some of which ejaculate over an extra decimal place in their version number.

Learn to read.
Old 17th March 2013, 19:31     #13101
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

But it's why Apple is where the money is. Just about everyone with an iphone or ipad is running the latest version of the OS, so developers have a single target.
Old 17th March 2013, 20:17     #13102
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Actually I just checked updated stats - changed since Feb - and as of March Gingerbread has a plurality of the Android userbase with 44% but no longer an outright majority.

Still - how laughable is that.
thats not even the point.. nvm
Old 17th March 2013, 21:07     #13103
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
But it's why Apple is where the money is. Just about everyone with an iphone or ipad is running the latest version of the OS, so developers have a single target.
I think as Android continues to get further ahead of Apple in deployments, developers will develop for Android primarily more and more..
At the moment yeah it's a question of market share. Target the historically most established/stable platform; but Android is much younger than iOS and is catching up.

Who really wants to stiff a decent percentage of their sales (30% afaik?) to Apple just for using their store/OS. Isn't it enough that Apple rips the user off with such exorbitant phone pricing?

Same old self important crap from Apple.

(disclaimer: if it makes the reader feel better, replace 'Android' with 'Not Apple' throughout my post)

Last edited by _indigo1 : 17th March 2013 at 21:10.
Old 17th March 2013, 21:38     #13104
Savage

Wacked

Quote:
I was commenting on apple fans holding up how up to date their OS is kept with glee, which is a bit contradictory to their usual drivel of apple being for regular people (who wouldn't give a shit about some version number on their phone) as opposed to Android users, some of which ejaculate over an extra decimal place in their version number.
LOL

That's not contradictory at all, in any way, whatsoever. In fact, it's probably BECAUSE the average user doesn't NEED to know about their device updating, that those same Apple fans claim it's a great phone for "regular people". Those people don't NEED to understand the versions, because they don't NEED to go out hunting down the correct update for their specific version of Android.

Please, please, please explain how those points are contradictory. I'm waiting with bated breath, honestly.
Old 17th March 2013, 22:24     #13105
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
LOL

That's not contradictory at all, in any way, whatsoever. In fact, it's probably BECAUSE the average user doesn't NEED to know about their device updating, that those same Apple fans claim it's a great phone for "regular people". Those people don't NEED to understand the versions, because they don't NEED to go out hunting down the correct update for their specific version of Android.

Please, please, please explain how those points are contradictory. I'm waiting with bated breath, honestly.
Indigo, like Poison and a few others on here, should be permanently placed in a psychiatric ward, for albeit different reasons. His MO basically revolves around constructing alternate realities or patently absurd binaries and then waving those things around at every opportunity to attack, criticise, and generally jibber on against all things Apple.

"Normal" people just don't care about OS updates? Says who? How does _indiRETARD know this? It doesn't matter. He just needs something -- anything -- to seize on to attack Apple.
Old 17th March 2013, 22:28     #13106
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
At the moment yeah it's a question of market share. Target the historically most established/stable platform; but Android is much younger than iOS and is catching up.
Umm, no. It's not a question of market share. It's already been established by the many, many articles that have been posted in this thread that Android is winning the market share war. However, developers are also finding that people who actually want to pay money for apps tend to use Apple phones.
Old 17th March 2013, 22:50     #13107
_indigo1

Oh, here we go.
Kiss a few pages of the thread goodbye till the children are done banging the pots.

Cyc's post's read like a lawyer laid out the grammar, and a twelve year old wrote the content.

Last edited by _indigo1 : 17th March 2013 at 22:53.
Old 17th March 2013, 23:10     #13108
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Cyc's post's read like a lawyer laid out the grammar, and a twelve year old wrote the content.
LOL. Retard tries insulting someone and fails miserably.

Learn to think, read, and write properly. Better yet, just return to the psychiatric ward.
Old 18th March 2013, 00:34     #13109
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'll just leave this here

Android owners aren't real smartphone owners
Old 18th March 2013, 00:44     #13110
Savage

Its almost like its the exact opposite of _indigo's argum^H^H^H obtuse fact o.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
Android owners, for the most part, are just looking for a new cellphone, and will take whatever is handed to them at the store that doesn't cost any extra money. These days, that's usually an Android phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by First comment on Article
You mean Android users are normal people? Yes, agree.
(The good news for Google is that "normal people" is a big market--much bigger than gadget freaks).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second comment on Article
@Henry Blodget: Well, except that the limited usage means that iOS developers are making a lot more money than Android developers, and will therefore ignore the platform – perpetuating the problem.
el oh el

Quote:

Last edited by Savage : 18th March 2013 at 00:47.
Old 18th March 2013, 01:50     #13111
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Android is much younger than iOS
IPhone: released 2007
iPhone os sdk released 2008
Android: founded 2003
Purchased by google 2005
Old 18th March 2013, 06:31     #13112
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

released vs project started?? nice spin
Old 18th March 2013, 08:28     #13113
pxpx

indigo can you fck off back to gpforums?
Old 18th March 2013, 09:16     #13114
_indigo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
LOL. Retard tries insulting someone and fails miserably.

Learn to think, read, and write properly. Better yet, just return to the psychiatric ward.
Learn the difference between an insult and an observation.
I mean really cyc. What is the point of your posts. Are you short in real life or something?
Old 18th March 2013, 10:51     #13115
Savage

Quote:
You seriously expect that to be taken as an observation rather than an insult? Stop acting so naive. There is nowhere on the internet (let alone NZG) that someone would not take that as an insult.

Quote:
Still waiting
Old 18th March 2013, 11:30     #13116
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Study from a Manhattan university suggests that people drawn into smartphone platform debates are full of shit
Old 18th March 2013, 11:43     #13117
Cyberbob

Quote:
Target the historically most established/stable platform; but Android is much younger than iOS and is catching up.
Even still, one year (comparing Android "release" with iOS "release", here. ), is minor.

So what, 5 years, and they're still young, it's OK to make mistakes and be less mature. But 6 years, no excuses.
Old 18th March 2013, 12:30     #13118
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Even still, one year (comparing Android "release" with iOS "release", here. ), is minor.

So what, 5 years, and they're still young, it's OK to make mistakes and be less mature. But 6 years, no excuses.
Iphone OS SDK: first beta release March 2008
Android SDK: first preview release September 2007

Eric Schmidt: Android started before iPhone
Old 18th March 2013, 13:26     #13119
mpx

indigo can you just kinda stop posting

I love my S3 but man some people here make Android users look retarded by association.

FWIW there's an iPhone still in the household, my wife has one and I've got no qualm with either phone~
Old 18th March 2013, 14:58     #13120
pxpx

In war, it's the innocents that suffer. Choose a side mpx!