NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 28th November 2014, 08:03     #3601
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Got a 58mm 10 stop if you're interested. It's a top quality heliopan, think I paid about $150 for it. Wanting $75. It's pretty good, no appreciable loss of img quality, but it has a magenta colour shift. (I think all 10 stops are going to have a bit of a colour shift, I haven't seen one that doesn't).

It's always the same way, you buy the biggest filter you think you'll ever need, and then you find a deal on a lens with a larger filter thread (62mm on 12-40 f2.8, and 77mm on the new 40-150 f2.8). Guess that's why people go for the hassle of lee and cokin style filters instead of screw in.
Old 28th November 2014, 10:24     #3602
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge
Guess that's why people go for the hassle of lee and cokin style filters instead of screw in.
Pretty much, yep

Plus quicker to change over if you're switching between a couple of lenses.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:57     #3603
mpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge
Got a 58mm 10 stop if you're interested. It's a top quality heliopan, think I paid about $150 for it. Wanting $75. It's pretty good, no appreciable loss of img quality, but it has a magenta colour shift. (I think all 10 stops are going to have a bit of a colour shift, I haven't seen one that doesn't).

It's always the same way, you buy the biggest filter you think you'll ever need, and then you find a deal on a lens with a larger filter thread (62mm on 12-40 f2.8, and 77mm on the new 40-150 f2.8). Guess that's why people go for the hassle of lee and cokin style filters instead of screw in.
Sold! I can pay tomorrow if that's okay? And, would you happen to know of a place that would sell an adapter for 55mm? (I don't think I'll find a 37mm adapter for my kit lens anytime soon).
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:20     #3604
mpx

I've also been feeling comfortable enough to try things with the camera now. Thanks to all but one of my lenses being manual I think that's both forced and allowed me to experiment a fair bit, rather than rely on the camera. So I think I have a steady base to experiment with other things such as exposure and stuff.

The other day I went out to Kumeu just as the sunset and took some underexposed shots, so that the clouds and sun were relatively still nice and detailed, but the landscape was really dark. I took a dozen or so various ones, with the intention of bumping up the shadows in post.

They were all failures except for one! That one photo made me really happy because it showed me that it's still me who has learning and I have only scratched the surface of my camera's capabilities.

I did some selective adjustments, colour adjustments but most of it was dealing with bringing the shadows out so that the sunset and clouds were not blown out from over exposure or just normal exposure of a sunset. I think it turned out okay. I call it a success but it still could be much better, I was worried that I may have made it look a bit too HDR-like which I'm not a fan of, but when I showed other likeminded people they quite liked it which gave me a huge confidence boost.

When I get home I'll try to remember to post it here (blocked at work!), or if someone is on my Facebook they can feel free to post it here, as I'd love to see what I could better do for landscape photography (and especially in post, I still think it is overworked, or at the very lease on the cusp). I don't have a wide angle lens but my kit lens can suffice for now I think.
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:21     #3605
Cyberbob

^^

Last edited by Cyberbob : 2nd December 2014 at 12:23.
Old 2nd December 2014, 13:27     #3606
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
Sold! I can pay tomorrow if that's okay? And, would you happen to know of a place that would sell an adapter for 55mm? (I don't think I'll find a 37mm adapter for my kit lens anytime soon).
I'm working from home today. I'll take into work with me tmrw. Also got 58mm polarizer if you're interested.

Apix down new north road had the 46->52->58s I was using, they might have a 37->46.
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:58     #3607
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
^^

[IMG]http://iforce.co.nz/i/keu0ehwl.sme.jpg[IMG]
I like.

What was it about the ones that 'failed' that you didn't like?
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:37     #3608
mpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I like.

What was it about the ones that 'failed' that you didn't like?
Thanks! The others were either badly composed or were too underexposed to bring any detail in the ground back without getting too much noise.

Also, as it stands even that photo just doesn't have the clarity I would like - I'm not sure how I can fix that though, I'm unsure whether it's a lens issue, a sensor issue or a me issue, or even a "put the Lightroom down and back away" issue.

smudge: My wife tentatively let me get the ND filter, I daren't ask just yet about the polariser :D So excited to get some daylight long exposures taken!
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:51     #3609
CCS
Stunt Pants

I wonder if this is an occasion where HDR can help? I've been playing around a little bit with exposure bracketing and using Photomatix to HDR them up. I don't like going overboard with HDR so I just use it to even things up a little bit.
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:16     #3610
Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
I wonder if this is an occasion where HDR can help? I've been playing around a little bit with exposure bracketing and using Photomatix to HDR them up. I don't like going overboard with HDR so I just use it to even things up a little bit.
Just, for the love of god, don't make everything have a halo.
Old 3rd December 2014, 14:36     #3611
CCS
Stunt Pants

Not if I can help it.

I was looking at a dpreview challenge, HDR with before and after.

To me, this is HDR done right:

This is also pretty good, but I'd maybe dial it back a bit:

This one however I don't like. Sure, the result is pretty and colourful. But I think taking that much shadow out robs the photo of any real sense of depth.

Old 3rd December 2014, 15:14     #3612
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Agree. HDR like the bottom one makes my eyes bleed.
Old 3rd December 2014, 16:09     #3613
Cyberbob

HDR is supposed to just give a higher dynamic range than usual (Say, 20 stops instead of 12). Not to create fugly messes.

A single exposure didn't give me nearly enough detail in the shadows when exposed properly, would blow out the brighter areas when trying to compensate one way, but would darken the rest when done in reverse.

Solution: Combine all 3 (or 5, as the case with most of mine).

Here's one I did of Southern Cross Station in Melbourne, a few years ago. It might be a bit too "stylized" for some people, as it's quite busy, but I think it works alright.

Another shoeboxed HDR from Queenstown.

In a restaurant at night.. Horrible light in a single exposure, but worked well as an HDR. (Man, I'd totally shoot this differently now, but anyway.)

Old 3rd December 2014, 16:46     #3614
mpx

The only reason that I haven't played with HDR as much as I probalby would have, is that Lightroom seems to have everything except for HDR merging. Photoshop isn't compatable with my RAW files and converting them is a chore.

Is Photomatix the program of choice for HDR merging?
Old 3rd December 2014, 17:01     #3615
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Quote:
Another shoeboxed HDR from Queenstown.

Reckon this is how it should be done. Photographers think "nice", and non-photographers don't realise it's hdr.
Old 3rd December 2014, 20:11     #3616
madmaxii

Old 3rd December 2014, 20:29     #3617
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Last day of honeymoon in hong kong

Old 3rd December 2014, 22:26     #3618
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
The only reason that I haven't played with HDR as much as I probalby would have, is that Lightroom seems to have everything except for HDR merging. Photoshop isn't compatable with my RAW files and converting them is a chore.

Is Photomatix the program of choice for HDR merging?
Yes, photomatrix is awesome for HDR. It's what I used for all of the above stuff.

Secondary to that is Lightroom's workflow into Photoshop:

which is only enabled if you're selecting more than one image at a time.
Old 6th December 2014, 23:09     #3619
mpx

So I went out to Bethells Beach with the intention of doing super sweet long exposure photos, but didn't realise just how far away the actual beach was from the carpark. I took my motorcycle so I was worried to leave gear (including other lenses I couldn't carry because my camera bag is tiny) on the bike.

I did manage to jump a fence and climb up a little sand dune and try my hand at landscape photography, with the help of an awesome polarising filter courtesy of smudge!

To be honest, a lot of the photos felt like I was going backwards - or my mind was elsewhere, always trying to keep my bike in eyesight. The sun was strong, I like some of these photos but some of them seem very, "I got a camera and lightroom and found the contrast slider." A lot of them had very, very subtle blur which, with all the foliage really ruined the clarity of the overall photos and I think that's what I'm most disappointed about. I think maybe I should've had a smaller aperture, as well, on reflection.

Any critiques are more than welcomed. All these photos were taken with my 14-42mm kit lens (at 14mm) with a polarised filter, ISO 200 and f3.5 and then edited in Lightroom.

Everyone has to photograph a bathtub when they find one, right?

Comic relief: I thought I was being super stealth pretending to check my camera, this dude was clearly not fooled.

Last edited by mpx : 6th December 2014 at 23:10.
Old 8th December 2014, 22:18     #3620
crocos

2, 3 and 4 look over saturated to me, or was that the look you wanted? Too much green even when allowing for the polariser's effect IMO.

You might want to pull back the exposure on the bath tub - currently a lot of attention is being pulled to the centre of the field because of how bright it is - if the tub is the only really bright thing, that'll give it more emphasis.

Last edited by crocos : 8th December 2014 at 22:20.
Old 9th December 2014, 21:24     #3621
mpx

That wasn't the look I wanted at all :( It was intense sun, and I guess the polariser filter. It was that bright in real life, I don't even know what those yellow flowers were, but I think going full polariser on the photos was a bad idea :D

I'm back to pre-school with landscape photography. Right now I'm just taking photos of everything and seeing what happens in post, smudge gave me waaay too many toys to play with.

I was so desperate to have a go with the ND filter, I trecked through a random West Auckland suburban bush track and found a tiny stream (it was pathetically tiny), but I found some water in motion and just had to take some long exposures of it.

They aren't much to look at, but they're my first daylight long exposures so I love them.

I also went to Pt Chev on the way home, should've checked the tides before I took a detour - if nothing else I'm finding new and interesting places on my bike!

(warning: incoming badly composed landscape photos again)

I hope no one minds me flooding this with amateur photos; this seems to be the only place where I can get feedback on what to fix and progress. Facebook groups are just a swam of, "great photo m8!"
Old 9th December 2014, 21:29     #3622
mpx

Ugh, won't be using Facebook links again - that compression is horrible.
Old 9th December 2014, 21:54     #3623
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
Ugh, won't be using Facebook links again - that compression is horrible.
I can give you a Dropbox acct referral (2GB), plus we both get an extra 250MB if you use my referral link. Just email to my profile email addy.

Old 9th December 2014, 22:00     #3624
crocos

<more dropbox>...
I post photos using the Public folder (and a sub-folder under there) using the Windows explorer integration ("copy public link") - very FTW.

Old 9th December 2014, 22:16     #3625
mpx

I have dropbox! I had no idea you could link images to a folder into here. Oh god, am I starting to lose track of technology?
Old 9th December 2014, 22:55     #3626
crocos

Yes. Yes you are.

Old 10th December 2014, 08:02     #3627
Cyberbob

mpx - doing anything Friday evening? Want to try live music gig photography?

I can get you into a gig for free entry & free merch if youre keen at all. They asked me but im busy with a work function.
Old 10th December 2014, 08:34     #3628
mpx

Quote:
mpx - doing anything Friday evening? Want to try live music gig photography?

I can get you into a gig for free entry & free merch if youre keen at all. They asked me but im busy with a work function.
Ahh! Unfortunately I am busy, though I'm not sure I'd accept if I were free, that scares me just thinking about it! Haha. I think I might need some more native lenses for that, not sure I'd be good enough with manual focus. I think dark room bright light photography is waaaay over my head at the moment D:
Old 10th December 2014, 09:00     #3629
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
I hope no one minds me flooding this with amateur photos; this seems to be the only place where I can get feedback on what to fix and progress. Facebook groups are just a swam of, "great photo m8!"
As a non-photographer I'm enjoying the photos you are posting, and also reading the comments from other people. So go for your life IMHO.
Old 10th December 2014, 11:27     #3630
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx

Yeah, the composition of these two is jarring. Rule of thirds baby. One of the first thing hammered into me in this thread.
Old 10th December 2014, 18:43     #3631
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

I usually think: put the horizon at the bottom third mark if the sky is cool, or at the top third is the foreground is (kinda gets a bit hard with a wide angle keystoning thou, better to crop in post instead). Then try to find something interesting for the other axis...
Old 10th December 2014, 20:50     #3632
mpx

Yeah they were badly composed shots haha, I was just really wanted to try the long exposure

Pretty much just hanging out for the weekend so I can go to the beach and try my hand at this stuff again, hopefully with a better outcome. I guess I have to be bad at all aspects of photography to begin with, I'm quite happy with my portraits now, though!
Old 16th December 2014, 09:28     #3633
mpx

I've been playing around with HDR a bit, I have Photomatix and a Google one called Nik HDR or something.

Photomatix is freakin' awful! Either my shots are bad or I just really, really suck at using that software. Nik HDR is way, way better, or way, way more user friendly. However I seem to get grain on the end result of my images I tested with - I don't think it's noise from the camera, I shot at ISO 200 with five bracketed shots, so there should be more than enough information to keep it nice without any noise.

Anyone tried this piece of software? I was quite happy with how I could make the images get a higher dynamic range but not actually look super HDR, but it was just the noise that has put me off. I feel like I could probably do the same thing with a single image in LR if I threw some grain on it at the end, so it seemed a bit counter productive.
Old 28th December 2014, 23:25     #3634
CCS
Stunt Pants

Just for lulz, the moon.

Old 29th December 2014, 08:53     #3635
pxpx

Nice!
Old 1st January 2015, 01:44     #3636
CCS
Stunt Pants

Knocked out some photies, processed this one:

Hopefully not looking too overprocessed (daylight WB made it look a bit orange) or poorly cropped (didn't like the foreground so chopped it).
Old 1st January 2015, 11:29     #3637
mpx

I like it! It doesn't look overly processed to me, but I process the balls out of a lot of my photos so that could be why. I just can't leave some of them alone!
Old 1st January 2015, 12:32     #3638
CCS
Stunt Pants

Chur. I fixed the WB and started tweaking the shadows etc and I'm looking at the original and thinking, "Have I gone too far?"

I'm not sure I'm fully comfortable with the cropping. I think I might need to take the time to photoshop out those gimps at the bottom left and sort out the too bright highlights where the mud meets the water in the foreground.
Old 1st January 2015, 12:53     #3639
mpx

Ohh, I like the idea of showing before and afters. I might get on that. The original is pretty good too, what camera is it? I knew I should have gotten out to do photos last night!

And yeah, get rid of those people, how dare they.
Old 1st January 2015, 13:27     #3640
CCS
Stunt Pants

Canon 1200D. F5.6, 20" exp, ISO 100.