NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 3rd September 2014, 11:17     #3521
ePi

I'm just finishing up a 5000 mile road trip through the US mainly visiting the National Parks (11 in total so far - heading to Joshua Tree in an hour to catch the sunset which will be the 12th.).

This was all Leica M6 shot with Portra 800/400 and Kodak Gold 200 film, processed at Icon in LA. Little to no post processing done on them. I'm shooting with Zeiss 35 and 50mm ZM lenses though not too happy with their sharpness after this trip.

Last edited by ePi : 3rd September 2014 at 11:20.
Old 3rd September 2014, 11:20     #3522
ePi

Old 3rd September 2014, 11:27     #3523
Delphinus

Wow, stunning photos. Looks like some incredible landscapes. Nice work.
Old 3rd September 2014, 13:52     #3524
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Dude, those are fucking grain. Great. I mean great.
Old 4th September 2014, 16:26     #3525
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Nice shots ePi.

What are planning to do if you're not happy with the Zeiss lenses? Leica? eep
Old 4th September 2014, 16:30     #3526
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

They look almost otherworldly. Like classic National Geographic shots from the eighties or something.
Old 4th September 2014, 17:22     #3527
ePi

Thanks guys! I do love the retro/grainy feel to film. Before this trip I bought a digital Fuji X-Pro1 but ditched it after around 100 shots. Guess I just didn't like the immediacy of it.

smudge, I'll keep the Ziess - just change the film type - next trip I'll try something sharper like Ektar 100 which I think is similar to Portra in color tones but a finer grain. Though I have just bought a Leica 90mm Tele-Elmarit lens. I got a little over 35mm landscapes - too much sky if you weren't up on a mountain. I would love any of the ASPH lenses but not that willing to part with the $$$ for them.

Here's a couple of Yosemite and Big Sur I took earlier in the year that stoked the fire to explore the US more.

Old 5th September 2014, 01:40     #3528
Ars vitae
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thumbs up

Liking the last shot, of the the forrest we haven't messed up yet.
Old 5th September 2014, 12:31     #3529
mpx

Old time National Geographic is spot on, that waterfall one is fantastic! That scenery looks beautiful, too.
Old 5th September 2014, 14:29     #3530
ePi

Thanks mpx, the waterfall one is my favourite as well and I still have no idea how I took that photo - I haven't touched it in post. I tried my hardest to recreate that during the recent trip but to no avail. It was about 4pm so sun was out - I guess I must have metered for the light on the water, lowered the shutter to 1/125 or 1/250 and underexposed it.

Last edited by ePi : 5th September 2014 at 14:30.
Old 6th September 2014, 09:45     #3531
chiQ
Frag-muff

I slapped together a wee gallery for my dad's photos recently. Mainly placeholder stuff atm, as he gave me a lot of really crappy, down-res content to use and made the watermarks way too invasive, but the photography is still there. Thought you guys might appreciate it:

http://oceanfocus.co.nz/

I'm going to gut and redo it when he comes back from his holiday.
Old 6th September 2014, 15:42     #3532
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiQ
Quote:
XML Parsing Error: unexpected parser state Location: jar:file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Mozilla%20Firefox/browser/omni.ja!/chrome/browser/content/browser/aboutneterror/netError.xhtml Line Number 308, Column 50: <div id="ed_netReset">&netReset.longDesc;</div>
Also adding "www." hasn't been set up.

EDIT: OK, just had to spam Refresh for a bit

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 6th September 2014 at 15:45.
Old 6th September 2014, 16:18     #3533
madmaxii

The site doesn't display correctly in Chrome, just a cream screen. Works OK in Firefox though.

Oh, whoops - worked that time in Chrome, as you were.

Still worth a redo I think.

Last edited by madmaxii : 6th September 2014 at 16:20.
Old 6th September 2014, 20:26     #3534
chiQ
Frag-muff

It's a free portfolio hosting service, so the site won't change. The photos will. I am planning to supervise the treatment of the photos this time. I just left it to my dad for that first lot, and the results are mixed and generally terrible, so I'm sticking my nose into his side of things for the redo. He just isn't web savvy at all.

The A and cname records are set up for either, crocos, and it works in Chrome generally, madmax, so odds are it was a transient issue.

The main point of sharing it was to show Q's work though. The site is just a tool. The photography is old school, but solid (and to a some degree macro, so on-topic)...when you can see past the terrible compression and watermarking

His work mainly appears in dive mags, journals, and books, but back in his prime he used to be rather famous for his beautiful, aesthetic shots as well, and got some serious recognition in photographic circles.
Old 6th September 2014, 23:17     #3535
crocos

Now that the site is properly working for me (I blame teleSparkCom's recent internet issues) I've got to say - there's a few shots there that transcend the JPG artefacting and generous watermarks. Please update when you've got better copies up there - would be neat to see some of the detail.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 12th September 2014, 20:04     #3536
mpx

Getting a bit more in tune with my camera now, and a bit more manual as well. I'm waiting for a clear sky at night to try some long exposures! I tried some last night and it came out pretty good for not knowing what I was doing. :D

Here's some latest:

Fricken' birds don't know how to stay still for one second.

Old 12th September 2014, 21:19     #3537
chiQ
Frag-muff

I love the bee and the pigeon
Old 12th September 2014, 21:30     #3538
Ars vitae
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thumbs up

Moody. Me likey.
Old 13th September 2014, 13:50     #3539
mpx

Thanks!
I had a play with more of the lenses, the bee one was 50mm lens which I thought had glare because of the mildew, turns out I am just a bad photographer! I was playing around with it later on and it seems if I (and I'm pretty sure smudge actually told me this too) step the exposure back a few everything becomes crystal clear!

The bee one was before such knowledge, the street one with the red bus was after - you can see the stark difference in clarity!

I also played with the 200mm Nikon, that plane was a mere 1mm to the eye, and I got that one from the Nikon I was stoked. The sparrows were a good 50m away too.
Old 14th September 2014, 18:04     #3540
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Yeah the old 50s are soft wide open, but stopped down to f2 or 2.8 they get decent. And at f5.6 they are as sharp as any modern lens ime. On m43 diffraction kicks in earlier than apsc or FF so you don't want to go much past f5.6 (which is equivalent to f11 on FF).

I like your shots mpx. Birds are fucking impossible with 200mm + 2x crop manual focus. You got to remember the guys getting those amazing bird shots are using multi $1000s of dollars lenses and bodies.
Old 14th September 2014, 18:48     #3541
MadMax
Stuff

Tui are a tough bird to get a good shot of. It's bad enough that they're very active (side effect is that they'll eventually move into a position granting a good clear view) but the hardest part is being positioned so that they're well lit to bring out all their colours. At least they'll hang around for half a minute as you click away
Old 15th September 2014, 04:01     #3542
MoP

Speaking of bird shots, I got a few decent ones a little while ago:

Old 17th September 2014, 13:56     #3543
Spink

Random vaguely photography related question, so my iphone case has a white (I assume reflective) edge around the camera lens which I think is causing the light from the "flash" to reflect back into pictures causing them to be foggy.

Is there a simple fix for this in terms of making it less reflective, could I color the edge in with sharpie or something like that? or a tiny thin coat of some kind of model paint?

super blurry unfocused picture of what I'm dealing with for illustration: http://i.imgur.com/W16s9Eo.jpg
Old 17th September 2014, 14:58     #3544
CCS
Stunt Pants

Before anything you may want to take before and after photos with and without the case to see what difference it makes.

It could just be that you have dried smeg crusted on the lens.
Old 19th September 2014, 14:04     #3545
Spink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Before anything you may want to take before and after photos with and without the case to see what difference it makes.

It could just be that you have dried smeg crusted on the lens.
Finally got around to checking it and it is noticeably better (significantly imo) without the case, tried going between case and no case with a couple different subjects.

Soooo... any suggestions?
Old 19th September 2014, 14:11     #3546
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yeah just cover it in whatever, make sure it's matte. Or buy a black case. Or cut the hole larger.
Old 28th September 2014, 19:46     #3547
mpx

Another batch, another set of trying new things! No two images are the same, yet, because I guess I'm still trying to figure out what I like.

Fully in love with this 50mm lens (which I assume is around 100mm due to my sensor size). Most of my photos are either taken with that or my 12-42mm kit lens that came with the camera. Though, that doesn't stop me from trying the other ones every now and then! I'm also starting to recognise the bane of jpeg artefacts, I'm pulling these from Facebook because I'm lazy but it becomes super noticeable at night.

I've been trying my hand at night long exposures, it makes me really want to buy a filter for doing them during the day now too! I just really, really love having a camera. It's such a relaxing hobby and being able to come home and sift through them is like putting my hand into a candy jar. Sometimes I get turkish delight though, no one likes turkish delight.

My first long exposure night shot:

I really like this one, mostly because I was excited to see fishies and there was a blue light under the sculpture that made the water look super blue.

Obligatory nature shot that should have inspirational quotes on it.
Old 28th September 2014, 19:47     #3548
mpx

Old 30th September 2014, 18:28     #3549
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Nice set.
Old 4th October 2014, 22:17     #3550
chiQ
Frag-muff

I LOVE the birds in the treetop shot!
Old 13th October 2014, 18:49     #3551
CCS
Stunt Pants

So I bought a Canon 1200D (yes, very entry level, but $400 with single lens) as I haven't touched an SLR since high school. Today was its first outing and I went to molest/shoot some ducks. There's a few things to learn/relearn. Back in my day, I never worried about white balance. It just wasn't a feature on the camera. Turns out, leaving it in Auto is a lazy way to get green photos in a bush surrounding *sigh*

Anyway, these are the photos that sucked the least:

I realise that cropping it like this breaks the rule of 3rds, but its beady little eye is looking into my soul and saying "Put me in the centre."

Last one is only there because that duck is a little cunt and was scrapping with all the other birds. Cracked me up.
Old 13th October 2014, 21:55     #3552
madmaxii

All good, the best is the first one. What lens did you get with the kit?
Old 13th October 2014, 22:02     #3553
CCS
Stunt Pants

18 - 55 jobby.
Old 13th October 2014, 22:26     #3554
madmaxii

Good value for the money I reckon. Kit lenses can be very under rated.
Old 13th October 2014, 23:08     #3555
mpx

Dang that is a fuckin' crisp Pukeko!
I've come to learn that for funtimes photography it's definitely not the camera that makes the shot! Mine isn't the top tier either but I'm loving it.

Also get yourself Lightroom, those green shots will be a mere sliding bar fix :D
Old 14th October 2014, 13:28     #3556
Jodi

Yup, lightroom, or darktable if your an OSS fan.
Old 14th October 2014, 13:31     #3557
CCS
Stunt Pants

Right, will install Lightroom. I used Photoshop to tweak the colours, but I understand Lightroom will read the CR2 files from my camera without having to convert them (using old photoshop - CS5 - won't read CR2).
Old 14th October 2014, 13:43     #3558
mpx

Yeah I'm still on CS5 too, won't read my RAW files either. Lightroom is amazing, but I am a post-processing fanboy haha. I've never had to clone or heal anything out, and I don't think Lightroom is up to the standard Photoshop is in that regard, it seems a bit too automatic for me (or I haven't found the right settings). Everything else though, is fantastic. I tried to make an HDR bracketing image, but found I could get near-same results just playing with the RAW file in Lightroom!

You can get Lightroom CC or whatever for $10 AUD a month, it's a pretty sweet deal, definitely worth the price.
Old 14th October 2014, 18:55     #3559
CCS
Stunt Pants

Paid... software? I don't understand...

Anyway, sniffed around the Harbour Bridge today.

Of the two B&Ws, I think I like the contrast of the 2nd one better. First one has perhaps ended up a bit grey so I'm thinking I may have another stab at it.

These last two are panoramicals. Click to embiggen.
I realise panoramical isn't a word but it feels good to say it out loud. Try it.

Old 15th October 2014, 19:54     #3560
ePi

The dog and the overturned car is great mpx.