NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 4th August 2023, 15:05     #36561
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So the judge goes "shit, this case is fluffy bunnies and kittens compared to the rest of the shit coming across my bench, no harm no foul"?
Old 4th August 2023, 15:16     #36562
Lightspeed

I figure. 🤷

And it makes sense our justice system would be coherent with the rest of our community.
Old 4th August 2023, 15:20     #36563
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I would fucking hate to be a mental health worker or sex-abuse counsellor or support officer or barrister or judge dealing with such cases. It'd be a ticket straight to one's own breakdown.
Old 4th August 2023, 15:24     #36564
Lightspeed

The breakdown comes from recognising how petty this case is, relative to the volume of sexual trauma kids are exposed to. That you're exposed to in the work.

It's very obvious that our horror around child sex is a reaction formation, at the community level.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 4th August 2023 at 15:25.
Old 14th August 2023, 09:57     #36565
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
YSL discontinuing my cologne after being a daily staple for a quarter of a century.

Slummed it with Kouros yesterday - Good grief, I smelt like an '80s nightclub

It's an election year - I should consult my MP...
It seems the product of a lateral thinking web savvy chap and a wife who has been adept as eshopping since the heady days of FlyingPig has won out, and I can expect the (potentially) last bottle from the Dominion Road pharmacy around Fathers Day!

Last edited by StN : 14th August 2023 at 09:58.
Old 25th August 2023, 13:24     #36566
Lightspeed

‘Catastrophic’ loss: Huge colonies of emperor penguins saw no chicks survive last year as sea ice disappears

What a fucking nightmare.
Old 25th August 2023, 13:40     #36567
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

jesus.
Old 14th September 2023, 12:39     #36568
MadMax
Stuff

People that put in the most minimal amount of work required to complete a task without taking a wholistic view of the job and failing to consider any subsequent adjustments or requirements.

Muggins me then needs to come along and clean up your shit.
Old 14th September 2023, 14:27     #36569
Lightspeed

That's all so many employers deserve, if that.
Old 17th September 2023, 21:26     #36570
MadMax
Stuff

Yeah, I had a whinge about this before here I'm sure...

Except, the "work" I do is more for my fellow employees and customers... and of course the employer gains from that.

Today's whine on the other hand: acting as a data analyst and seeing how much a data analyst gets paid vs my wage. I'm torn between, yes - I can generate a report for that but no, that's not within the scope of my work whilst no my managers aren't keen for me to be doing that. Is there anyone/anything else that can/will produce that report? Nope... Yet, I secretly find entertainment in pulling together silly amounts of data and outputting magic. I'll even throw a little love into the recipe and make it presentable/reusable/educational for the person that has requested it.

I can only imagine the discussion during my pay review and asking for a pay rise to take into consideration the data analysis work when I've been asked not to do it.
Old 18th September 2023, 12:08     #36571
wazza
*flex*

study up, brah. go get the job you want/deserve
Old 6th October 2023, 15:15     #36572
MadMax
Stuff

In a grid of evil vs chaotic, where do I stand when I allow a resident gimp to go for a long walk to the physical location of a machine to get its requested details whilst I pull up everything through WMIC?

Then in reply to my detailed info, gimp replies simply with only one small detail of what I’ve just pasted.

Last edited by MadMax : 6th October 2023 at 15:17.
Old 14th October 2023, 16:51     #36573
Lightspeed

Twitch

Farmer charged after skink habitat destroyed

Quote:
An East Otago farmer faces charges after more than 450ha of native tussock, home to two species of New Zealand’s rarest skinks, was ploughed up.

The three charges were "unavoidable", following a year-long investigation by the Waitaki District Council, a council spokesman said.

The council started investigating after it became aware in September last year that the vegetation on the farm in the Ramrock Rd area had been cleared, he said.

The area cleared without consent measured about 462ha.

It was home to grand and Otago skinks.

Both species, which grow as long as 30cm, are unique to Otago and are some of New Zealand’s rarest reptiles.
What a nightmare.
Old 15th October 2023, 09:12     #36574
Cyberbob

That's 4.5 square KM, for us city folk.

That's a shitload of land to just plow without asking anyone.
Old 3rd November 2023, 14:18     #36575
MadMax
Stuff

Customer asking for help with invoices from our system going into their Xero

They want to change the price on our invoice in Xero to have the price that they'll charge their customer.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. That's fucked that Xero allows you to edit our invoice. Stop asking me for help with your Xero
Old 6th November 2023, 11:45     #36576
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

/flips the day counter back to zero

https://flip.it/GMCtJI
“Police investigating unexplained baby death at Papakura house”
Old 6th November 2023, 19:57     #36577
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Customer asking for help with invoices from our system going into their Xero

They want to change the price on our invoice in Xero to have the price that they'll charge their customer.

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. That's fucked that Xero allows you to edit our invoice. Stop asking me for help with your Xero
That's screaming bad will. They're 100% using your invoice as justification for their costs to their end customer, like "We have to charge you $500 because our supplier is charging us $500 and we're just passing on the cost" when you're actually charging them $200 and they're fudging the numbers.

Best case they're dishonest, worse case it's outright fraud.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 6th November 2023 at 20:00.
Old 6th November 2023, 20:03     #36578
Lightspeed

How does that not cause... like literal accounting problems? Payments aren't going to match somewhere along the line.

It's definitely the goofy shit I expect from businesses in New Zealand.
Old 7th November 2023, 00:16     #36579
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
/flips the day counter back to zero

https://flip.it/GMCtJI
“Police investigating unexplained baby death at Papakura house”

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/301...what-we-wanted
Old 7th November 2023, 13:25     #36580
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
this, so much.
Old 4th December 2023, 17:08     #36581
Lightspeed

facepalm

Climate summit leader said there’s ‘no science’ behind need to phase out fossil fuels, alarming scientists

Quote:
The president of the COP28 climate summit, Sultan Al Jaber, recently claimed there is “no science” that says phasing out fossil fuels is necessary to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels, in comments that have alarmed climate scientists and advocates.

The future role of fossil fuels is one of the most controversial issues countries are grappling with at the COP28 climate summit. While some are pushing for a “phase-out,” others are calling for the weaker language of a “phase-down.” Scientific reports have shown that fossil fuels must be rapidly slashed to keep global warming below 1.5 degrees — the goal of the Paris climate agreement, and a threshold above which scientists warn it will be more difficult for humans and ecosystems to adapt.
Old 5th December 2023, 07:29     #36582
StN
I have detailed files

Conflict of interest much, eh Sultan?
Old 5th December 2023, 15:30     #36583
MadMax
Stuff

Exactly.

CEO of the state-owned Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC)

We’re fuxked.
Old 5th December 2023, 16:42     #36584
Lightspeed

Same energy:

Scrapping Lake Onslow project ‘disgraceful’
Old 5th December 2023, 17:33     #36585
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh please, the project hadn't even started consultation with affected iwi groups. It's not like the new government turned off a bunch of bulldozers, this was just a paper concept. No input from Te Rūnanga o Ōtākou and Kāti Huirapa Rūnanga ki Puketeraki = going nowhere.
Old 5th December 2023, 17:39     #36586
Lightspeed

That's not a fair characterisation. Years and millions of dollars of work had been put in, we could have at least finished the current consultation phase, instead of putting on the handbrake and burning it all.

This is totally the same energy.
Old 5th December 2023, 18:15     #36587
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Unless affected iwi have been consulted and have given consent, the project does not exist.
Old 5th December 2023, 18:29     #36588
Lightspeed

We could pick out any number of things that could crop up along the way that might also preclude the existence of the project.

Is doing nothing except what we're already doing really the only option?

I think the threat is that the project turns out to be a really good idea. Going to iwi cap in hand is abhorrent to current leadership.

It's money we kowtow to. Only money.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 5th December 2023 at 18:30.
Old 5th December 2023, 19:27     #36589
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

How far along does this sound:
https://www.mbie.govt.nz/building-an...onslow-option/
Old 5th December 2023, 20:01     #36590
Lightspeed

It sounds like millions has been spent on a project expected to be in the billions.

I.E. It's a situation where both a huge amount of money has been spent, and no money has been spent.

Depending on the framing you're going for.

*shrug*

Fuck it eh, let's not investigate these solutions. Got mine, surely that's not going to change, amirite?
Old 6th December 2023, 01:49     #36591
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Looking at the state of NZ’s schools, hospitals, and crime and suicide rates, I think the money not yet spent on a theoretical energy storage system could be used elsewhere.
Old 6th December 2023, 01:53     #36592
Lightspeed

Isn't the government looking for money for tax cuts still?

Besides, the money is already spent. Instead of getting what we've paid for, we're going to toss the work done because we've decided we don't care what the result is.

And not because our schools need funding.
Old 6th December 2023, 09:54     #36593
blynk

Yep, schools, hospitals, emergency services etc all need funding. No doubt about that.

But the other reason that countries get in the shit is because there is less long term vision.
So lets spend that billion dollars on schools and hospitals but deal with potential major energy crises in 10 years time when we can't meet demand.

The only reason lake onlsow should be scrapped is if the energy companies are actually tasked to creating a future plan and penalties for not meeting it.
Old 6th December 2023, 13:26     #36594
MadMax
Stuff

Google for the likes of bitcoin wallet sextortion or scam

Copy the bitcoin wallet number from one of the example scam emails you’ll find

Paste it into any one of the many bitcoin wallet sites and follow the transactions.

You’ll land at a wallet with billions of $

Google the wallets the transactions follow along the path where you’ll find more examples of the first step.

Helping fund wars I assume.
Old 6th December 2023, 13:39     #36595
StN
I have detailed files

Yes. Nation state APT.

Wars and ballistic rocket programmes.
Old 6th December 2023, 13:41     #36596
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
It sounds like millions has been spent on a project expected to be in the billions.
The official estimate is 15.7 billion, and its government work, so let's call it 30 billion.
Old 6th December 2023, 15:41     #36597
Lightspeed

Indeed. Billions injected back into the economy, building something that will meet essential infrastructure demand.

Ah well, let's not even finish the work we've already paid for to see if this is something really worth going forward on. Instead, let's see how we can shuffle those billions straight into the pockets of the already wealthy.
Old 6th December 2023, 18:57     #36598
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Indeed. Billions injected back into the economy, building something that will meet essential infrastructure demand.
If borrowing billions and having it to go into "the economy" is so great, why did that not happen when we borrowed up large during COVID and gave it to citizens?

The export value of a big lake (zero) is probably the same as what we got from handing it directly to citizens, so what happened? Is everyone better off now, or worse off as a result of borrowing + distributing?

By your logic, simply borrowing money and "injecting it into the economy" is the pathway to success, while not borrowing is tantamount to failure. Your presumption about those billions still being borrowed to give to others is pure speculation, since this has not happened. Was COVID borrowing good for our economy in the long term, in your opinion?
Old 25th December 2023, 23:49     #36599
MadMax
Stuff

Christmas day 2022 my mitsi 380 sprayed coolant all over the engine bay as a result of a stuck thermostat.

Christmas day 2023 the temp gauge is going up n down

I'm travelling next weekend
Old 27th December 2023, 16:05     #36600
MadMax
Stuff

Not thermostat

Radiator shops closed.