Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 30th November 2017, 18:04     #3641
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
The guy must have a pitbull with precognition for an agent, apparently he did Iron Man for fuck all in salary - less than Terrence Howard got as Rhodes! - in return for increasingly big money for future movies, which seemed like a wild dream back before Iron Man. Ka-ching. Apparently Downey will take home as much money for the next two Avengers movies as every other actor combined.
I'm not sure how much of it is Hollywood fable, but IIRC his wife Susan had a huge hand in negotiating RDJ's contract, and knew exactly what she was doing.
Old 1st December 2017, 01:22     #3642
Lightspeed

I recently enjoyed Logan Lucky. A fun, easy watch. Great performances all round.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is very cool and fun. The choice of lead was odd though, DeHaan just doesn't have the charisma the story makes out his character has.
Old 1st December 2017, 12:30     #3643
Lightspeed

Everyone has probably seen this by now, given its popularity:

Marvel Studios' Avengers: Infinity War Official Trailer

Not sure how they'll make this movie less than 3 hours.
Old 1st December 2017, 19:13     #3644
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I recently enjoyed Logan Lucky. A fun, easy watch. Great performances all round.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is very cool and fun. The choice of lead was odd though, DeHaan just doesn't have the charisma the story makes out his character has.
Agreed on all counts
Old 1st December 2017, 21:00     #3645
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Very angry

Unnamed Warner Bros source: everyone knew Snyder was wrong for Justice League, we ran out of time, and key bigwigs wanted to rush the movie out in time to qualify for executive bonuses:

https://www.thewrap.com/justice-leag...-wonder-woman/
Old 2nd December 2017, 03:30     #3646
crocos

Quote:
Everyone has probably seen this by now, given its popularity:

Marvel Studios' Avengers: Infinity War Official Trailer

Not sure how they'll make this movie less than 3 hours.
"Hey Chris!"
Captain America, Thor and Star Lord: "What?"

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 4th December 2017, 15:00     #3647
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

All the male core Avengers actors all seem to refer to each other by surname in interviews, perhaps for that reason. Evans this, Downey that, Ruffalo blah blah Hemsworth.
Old 11th December 2017, 15:46     #3648
Jodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
All the male core Avengers actors all seem to refer to each other by surname in interviews, perhaps for that reason. Evans this, Downey that, Ruffalo blah blah Hemsworth.
They all should have just used Chris, would have made more interesting interviews.
Old 11th December 2017, 17:12     #3649
Cyberbob

So who's TLJ'ing it up this week?

I'm in a Thursday evening session. Looking forward to it
Old 11th December 2017, 19:00     #3650
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Friday morning for me
Old 11th December 2017, 21:10     #3651
pxpx

Sunday Evening, avoiding spoilers like nothing else.
Old 12th December 2017, 00:36     #3652
crocos

A co-worker is going to the Wednesday-midnight screening and will be "working from home on Thursday"

Old 12th December 2017, 07:24     #3653
StN
I have detailed files

Team outing on Friday arvo. May be late for the pub
Old 14th December 2017, 15:10     #3654
Lightspeed

At the Imax now, shit's about to get started.
Old 14th December 2017, 23:36     #3655
Savage

Saturday morning
Old 15th December 2017, 09:09     #3656
Cyberbob

Us: Why don't Disney buy the rights to Spiderman and Fantastic Four.

Disney: Hold my beer.

Disney buys most of 21st Century Fox for $54B
Old 15th December 2017, 10:49     #3657
creamcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Us: Why don't Disney buy the rights to Spiderman and Fantastic Four.

Disney: Hold my beer.

Disney buys most of 21st Century Fox for $54B
As an employee of the Empire, I'm pretty excited about the possibility of free Hulu.
Old 15th December 2017, 10:52     #3658
Lightspeed

Quote:
At the Imax now, shit's about to get started.
It might have been because I saw this straight after a heavy process group, but the Episode VIII seemed really intense. It didn't let up much.

Great movie, so many cool scenes to be sure.
Old 15th December 2017, 11:12     #3659
Cyberbob

I actually really enjoyed the comic relief, they obviously took a few pages out of Marvel's recent book.

Will discuss it further later when more people have seen it
Old 15th December 2017, 12:03     #3660
crocos

BRIGHT looks interesting, in concept anyway - kinda like a modern-day version of the Shadowrun RPG mixed with a police Buddy Movie though with a good dose of every Will Smith movie ever mixed in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWDeye-vDLE

Old 15th December 2017, 14:37     #3661
Cyberbob

Agent J: Welcome to Earth, Woosah.

I have a feeling that if you dislike Will Smith, you're gonna hate Bright.
Old 15th December 2017, 16:18     #3662
crocos

Quite. Fortunately I don't. Not a SELLING point, but no hate.

Old 15th December 2017, 18:49     #3663
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

My viewing experience was negatively affected by the facts that the audio was painfully loud and that the cinema smelled like piss.

Some definite marvel humor moments.
Old 15th December 2017, 22:37     #3664
Lightspeed

Bodes well for the potential of a Taika Waititi Star Wars movie.

The movie made me so nostalgic for a decent Star Wars RPG.

I really liked Yoda. He felt very true to Episode V Yoda. I hope he's back in IX.
Old 16th December 2017, 09:52     #3665
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Bodes well for the potential of a Taika Waititi Star Wars movie.

The movie made me so nostalgic for a decent Star Wars RPG.

I really liked Yoda. He felt very true to Episode V Yoda. I hope he's back in IX.
I agree.

Looked more puppet than CG.

Ok...

Poe and Hux comms pisstake - meh.

Poe's handbrake turn in zero-G - Hmmm.

Luke walks into the cockpit, and I thought "Pfft - they forgot the dice...oh wait"

The water spout hole thingie mirroring the tree on Dagobah and Rey reflecting on herslef calling back to Luke's face in Vader's helmet was cool.

Then I was thinking, Hmmm - looks like Rey took Snokes ship back to Luke, got him to fix the Anakin sabre and then he stopped for a haircut and colour treatment on his beard.. nah that can't be right... Oh.

Did anyone else see a little black dot on the sun as Luke was looking at it? I thought it was a ship coming. Then the music came up, and there were two suns - epic.

I wants me an iris ring now.
Old 16th December 2017, 11:35     #3666
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Did anyone else see a little black dot on the sun as Luke was looking at it? I thought it was a ship coming. Then the music came up, and there were two suns - epic.
I totally noticed that. What do you think the significance is?
Old 16th December 2017, 18:46     #3667
Cyberbob

I really loved the repeated theme of "saving your friends is more important than killing you enemies", and the light speed kamikaze was a really nice touch, looked super impressive.

I also noticed the black spot on the sun in the last Luke scene, I'm not sure on the significance, but I did notice the significance of his projection looking slightly more clean cut, and with, you know, a working lightsabre - it was the Luke that Kylo last saw.
Old 16th December 2017, 18:50     #3668
StN
I have detailed files

At least we know where the blue milk comes from.....
Old 16th December 2017, 22:39     #3669
Cyberbob

Definitely the best article I've read on TLJ.

‘The Last Jedi’ Doesn’t Care What You Think About ‘Star Wars’ – And That’s Why It’s Great

The entire movie is summed up nicely in the trailer: “This is not going to go the way you think.” – Luke Skywalker
Old 16th December 2017, 22:56     #3670
BoyWonder

I loved it. A couple of little things were a bit cringy but I enjoyed the ride. There were moments that surely were included solely to give the finger to those theorists who take everything way too seriously.
Old 17th December 2017, 10:17     #3671
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah I loved the fact that the movie was happy to just blow traditional SW fanboyism away. Rey's a nobody, Snoke's backstory is whothefuckcares boom he's dead, Luke turns out to be a shitty Jedi master and he wants to burn the whole order down, it was awesome.
Old 17th December 2017, 11:40     #3672
Lightspeed

It definitely was refreshing in its maturity, or maybe the maturity expected of its audience (while providing thrills for everyone else.) The pace reminded me of S01E01 of Battlestar Galactica.
Old 17th December 2017, 20:42     #3673
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
It definitely was refreshing in its maturity, or maybe the maturity expected of its audience (while providing thrills for everyone else.) The pace reminded me of S01E01 of Battlestar Galactica.
Yeah - it definately had that vibe about it. Still reckon someone was hankering to get paid off in Heinekin though. And whats with artificial gravity only working on one side of an airlock?
Old 17th December 2017, 20:42     #3674
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah I loved the fact that the movie was happy to just blow traditional SW fanboyism away. Rey's a nobody, Snoke's backstory is whothefuckcares boom he's dead, Luke turns out to be a shitty Jedi master and he wants to burn the whole order down, it was awesome.
I knew things were going to be different & unexpected when Luke casually threw the sabre over his shoulder. Pretty sure it got an audible 'haha wtf' from me0 The only SW fanboyism I thought they should have done more with was Ackbar .

Last edited by Cyberbob : 17th December 2017 at 20:45.
Old 18th December 2017, 14:50     #3675
leadinjector

personally thought the only good thing about the film was Kylo Ren.

MASSIVE SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

the whole subplot with the resistance was so fucking drawn out, boring, and stupid. I mean really, the first order is the most powerful fleet in the galaxy and they cant come up with anything better than following the cruisers til they run out of fuel? are you fucking for real? 18 hours slowly following another ship using what appears to be trebuchets to launch their missiles? in space where there is no gravity? bitch please.

engaging a warp drive turns a ship into a fleet destroying space anomaly? how the fuck has this not been weaponised?!?! they used a pissant cruiser to destroy like half of that fleet? i mean if she was going to suicide anyway to let the transports go why not do that right off the bat? it was a fucking cool scene but again, made zero sense.

Finns whole story was boring as fuck and honestly even for star wars seemed like the most longshot "plan" ever. Theyre going to go to another planet, find a hacker, and then fly back to the space battle inside 18 hours? wow if only the first order had access to such an amazing craft, they might be able to catch up to the republic ships. but i guess you have to try and cram a shit love story in there somewhere. (and it was a shit love story)

Also, how is the final scene not them being executed? they disobeyed a direct order and due to this got like 80% of the rebels slaughtered. that is a next level fuck up. the obvious theme of this movie is people making mistakes but that was like a massive, catastrophic bungle.

Leia in space was fucking stupid.

this movie tried desperately to be a marvel movie. star wars isnt marvel, not EVERY character has to be the comic relief. the jokes ruined any sense of suspense in a lot of the scenes. having said that, luke drinking alien milk was fucking great.

I didnt give a fuck about any of the characters in this movie except Kylo Ren and Luke. everyone else was either a complete fucking imbecile or a comic relief character.

Snoke was a fucking lame boss and his weird CGI face was jarring as hell.

The good-
Hamill and Driver stole the show, and appeared to be the only characters with any kind of development. The only interesting scenes contained either one or both of these characters.

The fight in Snokes throne room was the bomb, as was the whole standoff with fake luke and Kylo.

All in all it was obviously better than the prequels, way worse than the originals, cant remember what happened in ep 7 because i fell asleep halfway through after realising it was just a remake of the originals.
Old 19th December 2017, 13:47     #3676
_Incubus_

Crying

Saw it last night, was going to come on here and post almost exactly what you had to say leadinjector....

I woke up this morning thinking that the whole movie didn't work because it ignored the setup from TFA...Rey's parents, Snoke wanting to have a face to face to presumably turn Rey, the Resistance being significantly larger in TFA, Kylo still being an emo bitch....The retarded space chase, the unnecessary mutiny....the plumber who became a qualified pilot in a blink of an eye...
Old 19th December 2017, 15:23     #3677
pxpx

Booked for tomorrow night 8.30. So far so good on the spoiler front. Haven't even seen the trailer yet.
Old 19th December 2017, 16:23     #3678
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Saw it last night, was going to come on here and post almost exactly what you had to say leadinjector....

the Resistance being significantly larger in TFA
Well, that's a given, shit went down, remember?

Old 19th December 2017, 16:42     #3679
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
personally thought the only good thing about the film was Kylo Ren.
You have some fair critiques. And some weak ones.

Quote:
the first order is the most powerful fleet in the galaxy and they cant come up with anything better than following the cruisers til they run out of fuel?

Why not? 18 hours in the context of a drawn out conflict is nothing.

Quote:
engaging a warp drive turns a ship into a fleet destroying space anomaly? how the fuck has this not been weaponised?!?! they used a pissant cruiser to destroy like half of that fleet? i mean if she was going to suicide anyway to let the transports go why not do that right off the bat? it was a fucking cool scene but again, made zero sense.

The plan was to save the rebels, then jump the cruiser away, leading the FO fleet away from the rebels.

There could be any number of reasons light speed drives aren't weaponised, perhaps by the limitations of the tech or perhaps by limitations imposed by those who control the technology. It does seem ships can only be accelerated to light speed by living sentient beings.

Quote:
Finns whole story was boring as fuck and honestly even for star wars seemed like the most longshot "plan" ever.

Finn's motivation was to get off the cruiser. Poe wanted to act. The plan was a justification.

Quote:
wow if only the first order had access to such an amazing craft, they might be able to catch up to the republic ships. but i guess you have to try and cram a shit love story in there somewhere.

You can't expect heavily armed and armoured heavy ships to compete with a tiny personal craft. They pulled back their fighters because they were vulnerable to the cruiser.

Quote:
Also, how is the final scene not them being executed? they disobeyed a direct order and due to this got like 80% of the rebels slaughtered. that is a next level fuck up. the obvious theme of this movie is people making mistakes but that was like a massive, catastrophic bungle.

The rebels just had a religious experience. They just suffered a huge trauma, which was then redeemed, their faith justified. They're not trying to save themselves, they're trying to save the galaxy. Poe did nothing but what was expected of him.
Old 19th December 2017, 19:43     #3680
pxpx

Thank fuck for spoiler tags.