Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 21st May 2014, 23:45     #3681
Lightspeed

Laugh

Collins accused of illegal gun possession

Now this is not on, we can't have MPs shooting guns around about the place, willy-nilly. OUT BY MONDAY!
Old 21st May 2014, 23:56     #3682
BoyWonder

Ah now I see what all this talk about a smoking gun was all about.
Old 22nd May 2014, 08:54     #3683
chubby

Cheesy grin national discovers the internet

Quote:
There is disturbing activity taking place on National’s website. The Party is self-censoring itself and quietly, without fuss, removing certain embarrassing information from it’s website.

In the last few weeks, this blogger has been referencing quotes from Dear Leader Key on various issues.
http://thedailyblog.co.nz/2014/05/22...ng-statements/
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:18     #3684
fixed_truth

I know it was probably illegal and that the complaint from the top gun Guy is probably genuine; but seriously in that context who gives?
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:50     #3685
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

He's a "shooters' rights" activist who sees himself as doing battle with the government, whoever it happens to be.
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:57     #3686
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
Quote:
There is disturbing activity taking place on National’s website. The Party is self-censoring itself and quietly, without fuss, removing certain embarrassing information from it’s website.
Oh please, that's fucking pathetic.
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:31     #3687
Lightspeed

National recruits champion of personal freedom of choice

I look forward to him promoting our right to smoke cannabis as well as tobacco. Perhaps we're seeing a sea change at National?

Unless this guy is another money-grubber who cares about profits over people... no, no, that can't be it. Personal freedoms, where's our pot National?
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:00     #3688
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

John Key eats ear wax

You heard it here second
Old 29th May 2014, 16:19     #3689
adonis

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11263462

An article on National's spin regarding the economy.
Old 30th May 2014, 08:11     #3690
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11263462

An article on National's spin regarding the economy.
Not an article, an opinion piece.
Old 30th May 2014, 09:03     #3691
fixed_truth

Boom! That article should be compulsory reading for the hordes of 'personality politics' swing voters who don't make it past one news over dinner.
Old 30th May 2014, 09:41     #3692
pxpx

They should also read about the corruption of the left by KDC.
Old 30th May 2014, 15:19     #3693
Lightspeed

National: "Fuck you Dunne. Fuck you and the horse you rode in on."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...ne-put-on-hold
Old 30th May 2014, 15:23     #3694
pxpx

True Facts about the NZ Voting Public: "GCSB? What's that?"
Old 31st May 2014, 18:32     #3695
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I don't care what the GCSB is up to. Polling suggest that most other people don't really care either.
Old 22nd June 2014, 11:07     #3696
Lightspeed

Key getting his thanks for the hard work he's done for the US government:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...l-Relationship
Old 22nd June 2014, 13:01     #3697
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Key getting his thanks for the hard work he's done for the US government:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...l-Relationship
I really wish he'd pull his nose out of the US's ass just for one second. Though, at least it gives me an excuse to post this again, the speech that ON IT'S OWN should have disqualified JK from holding any position within the NZ government, but well, people are stupid and/or have bad memories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpIXgJ7r2vU
Old 22nd July 2014, 13:15     #3698
CCS
Stunt Pants

National MP Claudette Hauiti calls it quits

Yeah, fuck off and don't come back. Cunt. Bring the Great and Wonderful National Party in to disrepute!
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:54     #3699
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'm guessing she had a short sharp phonecall from John Key thanking her for her contribution and wishing her well in her next role.
Old 30th July 2014, 13:19     #3700
Lightspeed

Top work there:
Govt to take over Novopay
Old 13th August 2014, 17:29     #3701
pxpx

http://www.socialprogressimperative....a/spi/findings

Quote:
The Top Three Countries

The top three countries are New Zealand , Switzerland, and Iceland and have closely grouped scores of 88.24, 88.19, and 88.07 respectively. These three countries, which are relatively small in terms of populations, score strongly across all dimensions, though there are important variations in their areas of relative strength.
Thanks earthquakes!
Thanks cows!
Old 13th August 2014, 17:31     #3702
CCS
Stunt Pants

\o/
Old 13th August 2014, 17:44     #3703
Lightspeed

Amazing! And we were doing so poorly before National rescued us!

Oh... wait...
Old 26th August 2014, 16:33     #3704
fixed_truth

NZ economy could hit the rocks - economists
Quote:
New Zealand's booming economy is at risk of a hard landing once temporary factors ramping up growth wear off, economists say.

Our economy is the envy of the world with an annual GDP growth rate of 3.3 per cent and unemployment of 5.6 per cent, both near the top in the OECD.

But the current rate of growth is unsustainable, a panel of some of New Zealand's top economists told a briefing in Auckland today.

And they said many New Zealanders are not aware how much our economy is relying on one-off boosts like the Christchurch rebuild, or how quickly it could slow down when they come to an end.

Westpac chief economist Dominick Stephens said New Zealand's recent growth had been fuelled by the Canterbury earthquake rebuild, low interest rates and a surge in net migration, which hit a 10-year high in the year to June.

''When the Canterbury rebuild ends people will be quite surprised by the size of the downturn,'' he said.
Also this is interesting: 12 Reasons Why New Zealand's Economic Bubble Will End In Disaster
Old 26th August 2014, 16:34     #3705
Lightspeed

\o/

Old 26th August 2014, 16:41     #3706
pxpx

That interesting article is also 4.5 months old.

The Cantab rebuild at least a decade from completion.

The agriculture industry isn't likely to collapse on itself in the next 50 years.

The reserve bank has identified that raising interest rates too quickly is risky.

The reserve bank has already taken steps to control the strength of the dollar.

We're still good, no left turn.

Edit: if we're lucky, maybe we'll get a volcano in Auckland! :FFFFF

Last edited by pxpx : 26th August 2014 at 16:45.
Old 26th August 2014, 16:58     #3707
Lightspeed

*phew*, worries allayed. Back to the National's narrative of everything's great.
Old 26th August 2014, 17:06     #3708
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
That interesting article is also 4.5 months old.

The Cantab rebuild at least a decade from completion.

The agriculture industry isn't likely to collapse on itself in the next 50 years.

The reserve bank has identified that raising interest rates too quickly is risky.

The reserve bank has already taken steps to control the strength of the dollar.

We're still good, no left turn.

Edit: if we're lucky, maybe we'll get a volcano in Auckland! :FFFFF
Hey fuck you man, the RBNZ is foreign owned! What would they know?!
Old 26th August 2014, 17:21     #3709
fixed_truth

Ironically pxpx, not one of your points about how you hope things will play out refer to anything the Govt. is doing. Which is the point.

I'd rather a Govt. that is looking at policy that could make a difference.

Quote:
Too much of New Zealanders' domestic savings will continue to be turned into rental housing until the country adopts an effective capital gains tax on residential property. The Labour Party, to its credit, is committed to a tax excluding owner-occupied homes. If National was to bite that bullet too, it would stabilise house prices, diversify domestic investment and boost productive industries.

National was game to lead its campaign with housing policy. It is not its strong suit.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=11314096
Old 26th August 2014, 17:51     #3710
Lightspeed

I'm pretty sure National depends on the bribe that is the capital gains free ride to stay in power, so we're not going to see any change in that policy from them any time soon.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:14     #3711
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I'm pretty sure National depends on the bribe that is the capital gains free ride to stay in power, so we're not going to see any change in that policy from them any time soon.
But is it? I would like to see what number of National's voters would actually be affected by a CGT.
Old 27th August 2014, 10:31     #3712
Lightspeed

I think it's as much about those who dream of being in a position to make capital gains as much as those who actually make income in this manner.

It's a classic way of getting people to vote against their interests, dangle a carrot that's just out of reach for most but convince them if they just work hard they'll make it. Suckers.
Old 27th August 2014, 15:12     #3713
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Ironically pxpx, not one of your points about how you hope things will play out refer to anything the Govt. is doing. Which is the point.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11314983

Dairy!! \o/
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:45     #3714
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
http://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/71...and-gloom-wide

The economy! \o/
Old 11th September 2014, 11:29     #3715
Lightspeed

These next three years are going to be rough for the bulk of NZers if National stays on... they just give no fucks about anything but cash for the rich.

Shock as company gets go-ahead in the Karangahake Gorge
Old 11th September 2014, 11:42     #3716
spigalau

lolspeed - so you are against jobs being created in an area that needs jobs ?

can't have your cake, without baking one first dude.

It's not like that area hasn't already got a history of gold mining in that area either.

Last edited by spigalau : 11th September 2014 at 11:43.
Old 11th September 2014, 12:10     #3717
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigalau
Destructive mining is not the only source of jobs in the world....

Quote:
“This area suffered drastic pollution from mining historically and is now recovering and regenerating.

“Today the area has a sustainable economy developing from people coming to enjoy the natural environment with many DOC walks and the Hauraki Rail Trail winding through the Karangahake Gorge.

The Rail Trail was listed as one of the 14 wonders of New Zealand on the 100% Pure New Zealand website, she said.

“Both iwi and locals we have talked to are opposed to mining in the gorge and the Hauraki District Council and the Department of Conservation should never have given the New Talisman project the go-ahead.”
Old 11th September 2014, 12:12     #3718
Lightspeed

Quote:
Is this one of them straw men things? I still haven't completely figured it out.

I'm against short term gain for long term pain. What happened to promoting a knowledge economy? That seems to be bearing some fruit.
Old 11th September 2014, 12:23     #3719
spigalau

How do you know it's short term gain ? If they find substantial mineral deposits during their testing, it could be a long term gain for NZ, much like Australia with it's iron deposits.
Old 11th September 2014, 12:31     #3720
Spink

Quote:
How do you know it's short term gain ? If they find substantial mineral deposits during their testing, it could be a long term gain for NZ, much like Australia with it's iron deposits.
Now now, spigalau, quiet down. You must know that all these progressive social policies Lightspeed advocates can pull money from thin air and don't need a solid economic backbone to accomplish.