NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 26th November 2011, 23:28     #1
Lightspeed

Thumbs up Go Green!

Awesome result for the Green party. I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring to parliament.
Old 26th November 2011, 23:35     #2
cyc
Objection!

More anti-science, anti-business, and all round stupid policies/platforms. To be fair, they do have sensible social welfare and law and order policies.

HOMEOPATHY WILL CURE US ALL.
Old 27th November 2011, 00:10     #3
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There's radioactivity in the soil! No nukes! Ban soil!
Old 27th November 2011, 00:24     #4
doppelgänger of someone

So how are we supposed to vote? National i.e. more of the same, when 'more of the same' is found wanting? ACT? If they can keep Don Brash locked up in Treasury and let others handle social policies that may be a good choice. Labour? NZF? Please.

Lesser of evils etc.
Old 27th November 2011, 08:28     #5
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Awesome result for the Green party. I'm looking forward to seeing what they bring to parliament.
For sure
Old 27th November 2011, 09:37     #6
fixed_truth

Another 4 MPS! We taking over this mutha.
Old 27th November 2011, 11:56     #7
cEvin
Love In Vein

gg green
Old 27th November 2011, 12:17     #8
Torka

surprised there's been no whinging yet from labour supporters about greens "stealing" their votes
Old 27th November 2011, 12:21     #9
Griven

GG all those retards who party voted for a bunch hippies and Uni dropouts that cant win a actual seat.

Without MMP Greens don't even get into parliament and neither does NZ first. I thought I lived in a democracy not some retarded system where a bunch of voters give away their votes to be applied at the whim of whoever made up the various party lists.
Old 27th November 2011, 12:29     #10
Torka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griven
I thought I lived in a democracy not some retarded system where a bunch of voters give away their votes
that's what democracy is
Old 27th November 2011, 12:31     #11
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Without MMP Greens don't even get into parliament and neither does NZ first. I thought I lived in a democracy not some retarded system where a bunch of voters give away their votes to be applied at the whim of whoever made up the various party lists.
wat?
Old 27th November 2011, 12:52     #12
fixed_truth

Quote:
a bunch hippies and Uni dropouts
Troll account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPF
I’d be quite happy if the Greens got up to say 15 MPs into Parliament. I’ll disagree with many of their policies but I’d rather have intelligent articulate bright MPs, than ones that are not.
http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2011/11/th...ed_greens.html
Old 27th November 2011, 13:22     #13
Nich

GG Greens.

Was the only party worth voting for this election.
Old 27th November 2011, 13:52     #14
cyc
Objection!

I'll give this to the Greens. At least they aren't just a gaggle of useless trade unionists and "Look-at-me-I-am-Gay-and-I-will-mention/use-this-all-the-time-for-political-advantage" morons.

In this respect, they are certainly an improvement on Labour
Old 27th November 2011, 16:18     #15
CCS
Stunt Pants

Russel Norman has the voice of a woman.
Old 27th November 2011, 17:16     #16
Dazza

I'm sure we'll see the proportion of Green votes increase over the next few elections, till we get to 3 main parties. Green politics are moving to mainstream, or rather mainstream is moving to green
Old 27th November 2011, 17:18     #17
CCS
Stunt Pants

And people say it's okay to vote Green because they don't have the power to do anything bad
Old 27th November 2011, 19:59     #18
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
And people say it's okay to vote Green because they don't have the power to do anything bad
Hey look they knew nothing about the billboard vandalism either.
Old 27th November 2011, 20:36     #19
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
I'll give this to the Greens. At least they aren't just a gaggle of useless trade unionists and "Look-at-me-I-am-Gay-and-I-will-mention/use-this-all-the-time-for-political-advantage" morons.

In this respect, they are certainly an improvement on Labour
Your ad-homonem attack on the labour party only displays your inability to construct your own sound arguments.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:02     #20
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
Your ad-homonem attack on the labour party only displays your inability to construct your own sound arguments.
This is rich coming from you, Mr One-liner Wonder. I've posted plenty of arguments on why I disapprove of the Labour Party. Face it, loser, you lost. Now go home and have a cry.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:55     #21
Nothing

I think you missed the joke cuz. :P
Old 27th November 2011, 22:59     #22
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Hey look they knew nothing about the billboard vandalism either.
hah! that billboard thing really got to you
civil disobedience....
pretty wild huh.
Old 27th November 2011, 23:02     #23
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
hah! that billboard thing really got to you
civil disobedience....
pretty wild huh.
Yes, anything to excuse law breaking eh? GO GREENS.

Nothing: Fair enough.
Old 27th November 2011, 23:09     #24
Torka

civil disobedience is when you break the law publicly and accept the consequences in order to show the unjustness of the law

I can't think of any part of that definition that clandestine billboard defacement matches

not that I think it's a big deal either but it bugs me when people describe self serving crap as CD, it gives it air of nobility it doesn't deserve

Last edited by Torka : 27th November 2011 at 23:10.
Old 27th November 2011, 23:15     #25
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
wat?
I think he's saying that he objects to the fact that under MMP voters are giving away their authority to the parties, who then choose who gets in to Parliament, rather than voting directly for candidates (e.g. under STV, FPP, etc).

I think.
Old 27th November 2011, 23:38     #26
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torka
not that I think it's a big deal either
Well, it's anti-democratic. That's a big enough deal for me. That, and the hippy ringleader claimed he was expressing his right to freedom of speech while ignoring the fact that he was infringing on the right to free of other people. That's an important principle I reckon.
Old 28th November 2011, 00:52     #27
adonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I think he's saying that he objects to the fact that under MMP voters are giving away their authority to the parties, who then choose who gets in to Parliament, rather than voting directly for candidates (e.g. under STV, FPP, etc).

I think.
If voters choose to "give away their authority" that's their choice. It's not like all the parties are run that way though. The Green party list is voted on by it's members. The problem is that the right run their parties like businesses instead of democratic organisations.
Old 28th November 2011, 01:15     #28
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis
If voters choose to "give away their authority" that's their choice. It's not like all the parties are run that way though. The Green party list is voted on by it's members. The problem is that the right run their parties like businesses instead of democratic organisations.
The party with the biggest list problem is Labour. It runs its party like a union - all personality politics and kingdom-building.
Old 28th November 2011, 08:46     #29
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

I think.
Local MPs are a joke anyway. They do not represent an area to the Government, they represent the Government to an area.
Old 28th November 2011, 09:54     #30
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
Local MPs are a joke anyway. They do not represent an area to the Government, they represent the Government to an area.
true dat.
Old 28th November 2011, 09:56     #31
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
More anti-science, anti-business, and all round stupid policies/platforms. To be fair, they do have sensible social welfare and law and order policies.

HOMEOPATHY WILL CURE US ALL.
Word.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 28th November 2011, 10:04     #32
chubby

facepalm

"the greens" are absolutely not 'anti-science'.
they are strongly opposed to business being in control of the release of insufficently tested organisms/chemicals/processes into the wild however....
if you cant see why that is a good idea, maybe you're the anti-science one.
Old 28th November 2011, 10:23     #33
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
"the greens" are absolutely not 'anti-science'.
they are strongly opposed to business being in control of the release of insufficently tested organisms/chemicals/processes into the wild however....
if you cant see why that is a good idea, maybe you're the anti-science one.
^^ This...

Having worked in the regulatory side of hazardous substances the concerns of the Greens are echoed by many people actually doing the work in these fields (i.e. the scientists who have the job of classifying and placing controls on substances). The biggest complaint I heard from those doing the work was that they simply did not have the tools to be able to do robust risk assessments - and that the legislation restricted them from saying many things about substances which could be in dispute with what the manufacturers say.

Bear in mind that currently almost all of the substances that are used in the country do not go through any significant degree of inspection and that most substances are self classified by the manufacturers under the HSNO act. Basically we just have to take the manufacturers word for it that they ;

a) contain what the manufacturer says
b) do what the manufacturer says
c) a safe to be used

I'm not even going to go into some of the issues which the NO (New Organisms) staff had.

Pixie
Old 28th November 2011, 10:50     #34
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza
I'm sure we'll see the proportion of Green votes increase over the next few elections, till we get to 3 main parties. Green politics are moving to mainstream, or rather mainstream is moving to green
I agree, I think they started to realise that this election, but maybe too late. Next time they will release more policies in more areas.
Old 28th November 2011, 10:51     #35
^BITES^

Providing a few examples of why they are good doesnt negate the plethora of batshit crazy policies they've done otherwise ....

Working on that theory NZFirst are a great party too....

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 28th November 2011, 11:03     #36
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

have you considered writing to them to express your concerns?
Old 28th November 2011, 11:09     #37
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
Providing a few examples of why they are good doesnt negate the plethora of batshit crazy policies they've done otherwise ....
Well the same thing can be said for any of the parties - national has it's own set of batshit crazy policies (as do labour and all the ohters).

Pixie
Old 28th November 2011, 13:46     #38
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

I think.
My father, who is very much a non-leftie voted for the local Labour candidate but gave his party vote to National.

This is the beauty of MMP IMO and expresses how things should work. You vote for the PERSON that you want to represent your area but also for the party that best matches your ideology for running the country.
Old 10th December 2011, 17:12     #39
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Another 4 MPS! We taking over this mutha.
Make that 5.

Also John Key calling for recount

edit: oops new thread here http://forums.nzgames.com/showthread...27#post1901727

Last edited by fixed_truth : 10th December 2011 at 17:15.