Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 10th May 2012, 16:38     #1
fixed_truth

Obama supports gay marriage

Obama comes out in support of gay marriage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSLufPxk8s

Wow risky move? Will this gamble pay off?
Old 10th May 2012, 16:47     #2
xor

Old 10th May 2012, 16:48     #3
blynk

I think David Shearer is hoping it will. He's jumped on the bandwagon
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=10804903
Old 10th May 2012, 16:56     #4
fixed_truth

Haha^

I wonder if Key has had a change of heart since voting against the Civil Union Bill.
Old 10th May 2012, 17:20     #5
A Corpse
talkative lurker

In the US it's a risky move. In NZ, meh.
Old 10th May 2012, 21:39     #6
chubby

Big Smile

so you would have to wonder,which diddles are being pandered to in this theoretical 'smile and wave' retraction.
Old 11th May 2012, 08:47     #7
pxpx

Voting against the civil union bill != Against gay marriage in principle.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:31     #8
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
so you would have to wonder,which diddles are being pandered to in this theoretical 'smile and wave' retraction.
PINK DOLLAR Y'ALL
Old 11th May 2012, 12:40     #9
CCS
Stunt Pants

What would same sex marriage gives to gays in NZ that civil union doesn't already? I mean things that are substantial, not "they get a marriage certificate!"
Old 11th May 2012, 12:42     #10
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Haha^

I wonder if Key has had a change of heart since voting against the Civil Union Bill.
It would appear so.

Quote:
Prime Minister John Key has followed US President Barack Obama and said he is not opposed to gay marriage - an apparent change in his stance.

He has previously refused to give a personal view on same-sex marriage.

But yesterday, in a response to the AP news service after President Obama said gays should be allowed to wed, Mr Key said he was "not personally opposed to gay marriage" and it was possible Parliament would consider a member's bill at some stage.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10805087
Old 11th May 2012, 13:09     #11
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
What would same sex marriage gives to gays in NZ that civil union doesn't already? I mean things that are substantial, not "they get a marriage certificate!"
They would be allowed to adopt? (nfi, if they can or can't already)

Don't know why fags want to get married, I guess they just want to be able to commit another sin*! (lololol)

*adultery
Old 11th May 2012, 13:18     #12
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10805087

and Mana Party leader Hone Harawira said he was undecided.
I'm sure Hone's ok with it, as long as it's not interracial.
Old 11th May 2012, 16:19     #13
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
They would be allowed to adopt? (nfi, if they can or can't already)

Don't know why fags want to get married, I guess they just want to be able to commit another sin*! (lololol)

*adultery
Legal reasons mainly. I'm not very liked at the church that I go to because I spend most of the time laughing at the hypocrisy of the other members. E.g. A divorced man screaming "ADAM AND EVE NOT ADAM AND STEVE"

I really feel sorry for my pastor, that dude is on the level but there are some serious fuckwits that come along :/
Old 11th May 2012, 16:57     #14
crocos

I laugh at you for going to church. Even if you're doing it "ironically" *cough*

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 11th May 2012, 17:03     #15
Baal

No point in knocking people for their beliefs. If they're not hurting anyone else or trying to force their ideals on others when following them, awesome
Old 11th May 2012, 17:04     #16
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Legal reasons mainly. I'm not very liked at the church that I go to because I spend most of the time laughing at the hypocrisy of the other members. E.g. A divorced man screaming "ADAM AND EVE NOT ADAM AND STEVE"
Even as a kid when going to church (parents, mandatory, etc) I'd see self righteous cunts like this and be ... wtf ...
Old 11th May 2012, 17:09     #17
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Voting against the civil union bill != Against gay marriage in principle.
How do you figure that one?
Old 11th May 2012, 17:26     #18
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I laugh at you for going to church. Even if you're doing it "ironically" *cough*
You're quite easily amused, aren't you?
Old 11th May 2012, 19:16     #19
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Legal reasons mainly.
Don't people in a civil union already get the same legal rights as those in a marriage?
Old 11th May 2012, 19:19     #20
Deadmeat

I think one of the last major things is that gay couples can't adopt. Oddly though gay individuals can.
Old 11th May 2012, 19:33     #21
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
No point in knocking people for their beliefs.
Bollocks to that, stupidity is stupidity and deserves mockery.
Old 11th May 2012, 20:00     #22
BoyWonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Don't people in a civil union already get the same legal rights as those in a marriage?
A de facto relationship has the same standing as a marriage - at least when it comes to splitting the tab at the end of it all.

5 more months of spousal maintenance... just 5 months to go...
Old 11th May 2012, 20:31     #23
Torka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
What would same sex marriage gives to gays in NZ that civil union doesn't already? I mean things that are substantial
cultural legitimacy

names and symbols are important
Old 11th May 2012, 20:36     #24
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yeah, cultural legitimacy is pretty subjective. It's hard to say "this form of relationship is more culturally legitimate than that form of relationship". Hence why I'm more interested in the substantial differences in a civil union <-> marriage.
Old 11th May 2012, 20:39     #25
Torka

working with your definition of substantial, I'm pretty sure there are none
Old 11th May 2012, 20:49     #26
fixed_truth

If the civil union couple remains in New Zealand; then outside of being excluded from a 'marriage', there doesn't seem to be much difference (bar a few will & adoption factors afaik). But, I think that's a big part of it ie., having the same right straight couples have to be recognised as a 'married' couple.
Old 11th May 2012, 20:55     #27
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torka
working with your definition of substantial, I'm pretty sure there are none
Wow, you're a total fucking penis, aren't you? So much for having an intelligent discussion!
Old 11th May 2012, 21:04     #28
Torka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Wow, you're a total fucking penis, aren't you? So much for having an intelligent discussion!
what I was being sincere, I don't think there are any tangible differences of that sort
Old 11th May 2012, 22:12     #29
CCS
Stunt Pants

So say so in the first place instead of being a smart cunt! What a concept!

FTR - same sex marriage doesn't get you cultural legitimacy. It certainly helps, but cultural legitimacy comes with time and understanding. When same sex marriages come into law (and they will, sooner or later) same sex couples will still be scoffed at and seeking 'cultural legitimacy'. Those who scoff will die eventually and will take their attitudes with them. But you just can't legislate for cultural legitimacy.
Old 11th May 2012, 22:58     #30
Bent

They should just repeal the marriage act and everyone can have a civil union. Then, if they want to call it a marriage and have their little religious ceremony they can.
Old 12th May 2012, 00:13     #31
chiQ
Frag-muff

Old 26th July 2012, 22:10     #32
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Old 27th July 2012, 12:24     #33
xor

There is some retarded shit dribbling out of the mouths of a lot of Christians at the moment.

I don't actually understand why people are against it. The only argument I've ever heard is 'It's not natural'....
Old 27th July 2012, 12:35     #34
CCS
Stunt Pants

I don't think there is any argument against gay marriage that is not intellectually dishonest.
Old 27th July 2012, 12:41     #35
fixed_truth

What does 'natural' mean?

I hope that the Bill here in NZ makes the final reading. It's a lot harder to justify voting for someone who doesn't support Gay Marriage.
Old 27th July 2012, 12:45     #36
Cyberbob

Aside from alienating retarded voters that are quite possibly under the IQ level of what should be deemed legal to vote anyway, why the heck do politicians 'umm & ahh' about gay marriage. Make it legal already. There's zero reasons against it.,
Old 27th July 2012, 12:54     #37
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

You just answered your own question. They umm and ahh because they don't want to offend decent God-fearing voters.
Old 27th July 2012, 13:32     #38
chiQ
Frag-muff

Us indecent, god-ignoring folk must surely be the majority though.
Old 27th July 2012, 13:40     #39
Cyberbob

We must be the dumb ones.

Old 27th July 2012, 13:40     #40
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Is that the real one or the parody one? It's pretty hard to tell them apart