User Name
Password

Old 24th November 2011, 14:29     #1
cyc
Objection!

facepalm Phil Goff getting desperate

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...political-spin

Quote:
Labour leader Phil Goff says National has been "forced to confirm" a freeze on police recruitment he raised in last night's televised leaders' debate with Prime Minister John Key.

Quote:
Goff said there was "an email apparently around" which he had not seen that said the January wing had been cancelled.

He said he had no means of obtaining the email but media could ask the police commissioner for it.

Goff said he was protective of his sources but he knew them to be reliable.

The January intake usually had up to 80 cadets in it and had been cancelled.

"I understand from another source there will be no February intake," Goff said.

Other journalists with sources in the police had also told him there was discussion around police headquarters that there would be further deferrals of training wings next year.
Translation: I have imaginary sources that I won't reveal to you. Just believe me, okay? Ignore the other side's explanations because I must be right, since I have sources and evidence that I won't tell you about or let you see.

DESPERATION. MAKES. ONE. DO. STUPID. THINGS.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:34     #2
Baxton

didn't key do the exact same thing a month ago?
Old 24th November 2011, 14:38     #3
SID|DensitY

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/podcasts/audio/24102709.mp3

Goff on the radio.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:44     #4
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Collins, paraphrased: "I will resign and I will expect the resignation of the Police Commissioner if Phil Goff's allegations are true. Dude is just making shit up."

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/podcasts/audio/24115036.mp3
Old 24th November 2011, 14:44     #5
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
didn't key do the exact same thing a month ago?
What "thing"?
Old 24th November 2011, 14:45     #6
GM

The biggest surprise to me is that we even had a Police staffing level issue.
Old 24th November 2011, 14:53     #7
Baxton

striking out at the opposition using information with supposed "sources" but not having your facts straight?

I mean it's rubbish don't get me wrong, Goff is an idiot, but I don't see the difference bettween that and This
Old 24th November 2011, 14:55     #8
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
striking out at the opposition using information with supposed "sources" but not having your facts straight?

I mean it's rubbish don't get me wrong, Goff is an idiot, but I don't see the difference bettween that and This
Alright, point conceded. I find it amusing though that Phil Goff is now happy to rely on anonymous sources.
Old 24th November 2011, 16:09     #9
Baxton

hahahahahahaha that radio clip was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay funnier then the key one.
Old 24th November 2011, 16:19     #10
Furry Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Collins, paraphrased: "I will resign and I will expect the resignation of the Police Commissioner if Phil Goff's allegations are true. Dude is just making shit up."

http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/podcasts/audio/24115036.mp3

Damn she sounded really pissed off. Fair enough too if I was being accused of this.

Old 24th November 2011, 16:20     #11
cyc
Objection!

Goff: "MY SOURCE WAS ABSOLUTELY RELIABLE..."

Goff: "MY SOURCE WAS ABSOLUTELY RELIABLE..."

Plunkett: "MR GOFF DO YOU HAVE ANY PROOF OF WHAT YOUR SINGLE SOURCE SAID, GIVEN THAT IT'S BEEN DENIED...."

Goff: "... the intake was cancelled"

Plunkett: ".... no it's been deferred until March"

Plunkett: "[Your source is unreliable]"

Goff: "..... [I've got an appointment - translation: "My BS isn't working, I'd better run!"]

Goff = absolutely owned and humiliated.

That interview was fucking priceless.

Last edited by cyc : 24th November 2011 at 16:22.
Old 24th November 2011, 16:22     #12
Baxton

I love how he tried to answer "do you have any proof" with "I am getting good feedback from the media"

son you just selfpwned
Old 24th November 2011, 16:32     #13
CCS
Stunt Pants

Wow, Goff is wrong on every aspect about this. He said that recruitment intakes had been cancelled; they haven't. He said that there was a political directive to cancel recruitments due to budget cuts; there has not been. He claimed there was a political directive to keep this quiet until after the election; that is wrong. Goff has cocked up big time.

If anything like what Goff is claiming was actually true, Greg O'Connor would be the first person to start jumping up and down in a very loud way. He's been silent and accepts the Minister's word on this.
Old 24th November 2011, 16:40     #14
cyc
Objection!

Aside from the fact that Goff is wrong, he's also a hypocrite. Can the tragic comedy that's Labour get any worse?
Old 24th November 2011, 16:45     #15
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

well, it was worth a shot i guess - if it had turned out to be correct, then this would all be egg on keys face. they are currently way behind, so 50/50 was worth a gamble in his eyes i guess.

still a retarded thing to do.

but then again, as others have pointed out, no worse than keys "labour == downgrade" remark
Old 24th November 2011, 16:48     #16
Torka

oh labour
Old 24th November 2011, 16:53     #17
Spink

Even if this was true, wouldn't they have probably bulked up police force intake in preparation for the RWC and are now letting it calm down a bit since there's no other huge intl events on the horizon for the while?

edit: also @Vrtigo, it's not like being wrong has ever stopped a party leader before. A lot of fox news viewers still thought(think?) there were WMDs in Iraq long after there were none found. I suspect a lot of die hard Labour fans will be spewing this garbage for a few days yet

Last edited by Spink : 24th November 2011 at 16:55.
Old 24th November 2011, 17:31     #18
Evoke

years ago, when you applied to be a cop and passed all the requirements, you were shipped off to the Police College straight away. This unfortunately meant that, after finishing the training, you might come out and not have a job to go to or your deployment location was somewhere you didn't want to go. They've revised it and now you pass all your requirements, then go onto a waiting list until there are jobs on the horizon, which means that once you finish the training at the college you come out deployed straight where you wanted to be. This means a waiting list up to 5 years in major centres (and almost no waiting list if you want to be deployed in Manukau). So really, what's the big deal if they do freeze the recruitment? the effective difference will be just not staffing a couple of recruitment officers and some HR people.