NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 31st October 2017, 18:04     #41
bradman

Heh - if I could be bothered I'd pull some of your posts out of the cupboard man. You seem to be being surprisingly low-key at the mo.

You'd be a poster child internet bully/troll, though maybe not lately?
Old 31st October 2017, 18:12     #42
CCS
Stunt Pants

o_O

I disagree.
Old 31st October 2017, 18:12     #43
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
the article is pretty clear
So who are these people that are being turned away from this shelter? Where do they fit in the picture? How are they being counted?
Old 31st October 2017, 18:25     #44
ZoSo

Quote:
Hey zoso, you need to calm down man - hate to say it, but think it applies - triggered much?

Hey bradman, re-read your entry back in. I know you wont want to admit it, but I think you'll find that the real triggering was happening right there. This is just pushback and pushing back on some of the ridiculousness of the left, which arguably aided in the elevation of Trump, is never a bad thing.

Quote:
I did stop posting here because it became such a crap-fest of shittery, I didn't see the point of wasting time typing shit out because fuckwads would just ignore it and go full retard regardless.

That's what certain sections have been for years. Cry me a river.

Quote:
The last few years I've tended to jump in here to get a read on what 'what white privilaged dudes' - who is what I think are the main group in here, were thinking. For some perspective and to see if I could see the point of views that were covered.

Ugh.

Quote:
Generally I was dissappointed, with continual sniping at labour while national was lying about this, or sweeping that under the carpet, though there were some really good points on what an ineffective oppoisition they were.

Only a sycophant would defend everything a party does and only a delusional would think their party does nothing wrong. Why would I defend everything dodgy they do if I don't agree with it. Also it's hard not to snipe when you'd see almost instant defenses or talking points for just about every "game changer" policy every new leader, or iteration, or side, of labour that came out over the years. I'm guessing you never read it that way.

Quote:
The only reason I've chimed in lately is because you guys are so vicious attacking anyone who rails against your mindset, and I fucken hate bullies. Thought I'd soak some heat up.

If they couldn't handle, they'd bail too. You don't think they like pot shotting back? cmon man. Also take a decent count. Pretty sure there's more numbers on the other side. Bullied, lol.

Quote:
I can't quite see where you're going with the gaming comments, I still game, but for me at least NZG transcended being a 'gaming' forum long ago. It's where I used to go for news and the latest takes on news, and for interesting posts and discussions.

I'm saying the "decay" can't all be sad sacks 'fucking off' due to a few of the posters still here. It's natural attrition.

Quote:
And I was asking if you're white because I sorta guess you are, and that you have no comprehension of 'white privilage' and because I knew it'd piss you the fuck off.

Hard to get pissed off if I find most of your angles comical and predictable.

Anyway, you lost me with "are you white" and "NZG went with". I mean.. I can do time wasting but not at that level (at least willingly).
Moving on.
Old 31st October 2017, 22:48     #45
bradman

hEY ZOSO! First off I've always hated that 'have other guys text there in post' so i just don't do it. Is that not getting with the times? Dunno, just dont do it. You might be 'with it' or whatever, but yeah, nah, always think its a waste of space.

Im worried its a bit of a triggering overload to tell the truth, overloaded your mind perhaps. Wheres the 'real triggering happening right there'??

What the fuck does this even mean?===> 'This is just pushback and pushing back on some of the ridiculousness of the left, which arguably aided in the elevation of Trump, is never a bad thing'

Yeah I'm sort of struggling from that. Are you really a trump supporter/nazi fuck or was that some sort of typo?

I'll stop right there till you clarify.
Old 31st October 2017, 23:05     #46
bradman

And 'moving on'

Hey man discuss it, thats what I loved about NZG.
Old 31st October 2017, 23:39     #47
bradman

Just in case you chucked your toys in a rampant case of 'WAAAAAAAH' I'll address the concerns in your previous post...

- I stopped posting for the exact reasons I outlined. So rampant fucktard postings in a general discussion forum mean people thinking general discussion is just that, and not shit-posts, is fine? OK.

-Hey Abaddon, you reckon this forum is a gathering of mostly white privilaged dudes? I sure think it is.

-hey zoso, where did I post anything on labour policy till the other day, when I hoped they'd push hard on homelessness. Can you put up a few defenses on the 'changing the water quality levels' or ' theres no housings problem' ? Or the Barclay debarcle, or... or... or...

-hah, more numbers on the other side eh. Yeah in the louder members (Blue tears) in here.

-Decay? Yeah, you want a refresh on the ' what a shit place NZG is now' thread from 2013? It's an easy find as its my last post from that time till now (not that I started it).

I do love the comical and predictable - yeah riiiight. You extrapolated I'd come out and fucken smash you in here? Doubt it.

But please either defend national or... I dunno whine about the coalition?? Forgetting the last coalition... or something.
Old 1st November 2017, 08:57     #48
ZoSo

What's your pronoun?
Old 1st November 2017, 10:28     #49
pxpx

White privileged cis male top 5% income national voting Auckland home-owner for 10 years crew reporting in.

No fundamental problems with anything Jacinda and Co have put forward to date. More than happy to pay my petrol tax for investment in trains and cool transport stuff, light-rail to the airport is going to be brilliant for the CBD and I've been a supporter for the congestion free network since it was first conceived. Paid parental leave increase I happily support to 26 weeks and beyond.

I don't think Labour will be able to "fix" the housing market. Not in this term at least, lets see how they go though.
Old 1st November 2017, 10:32     #50
ZoSo

That new satellite city popping up out of nowhere sounds pretty good. That's a nice drop in the lap, even if that far out, time wise.
Old 1st November 2017, 15:57     #51
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman
-Hey Abaddon, you reckon this forum is a gathering of mostly white privilaged dudes? I sure think it is.
Yeah, probably. I consider myself an ethnically brown privileged dude, but given that this site is a descendant of NZ online gamer culture circa 1996 it's certainly going to skew Gen X middle class.
Old 1st November 2017, 16:41     #52
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradman
J

Hey cunty I worked hard all my life to get a life for myself and kids and now have time to relax and enjoy things.Whats this "white privilaged dudes? " bullshit?I wasn't given anything by anyone other than the chance to work hard.

Old 1st November 2017, 16:47     #53
[Malks] Pixie

^^ Does not understand what is actually meant by "privilege" in this context.

[Or I'm missing the satire/sarcasm]
Old 1st November 2017, 17:27     #54
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

actually it's about ethi
Old 1st November 2017, 17:41     #55
CCS
Stunt Pants

If you earn enough not to be homeless, you're privileged? Is that it?
Or is it that if you're born white, then that's totally your fault?
Old 1st November 2017, 23:20     #56
Lightspeed

I think it's if you're white and a US citizen living in the US, you benefit from unconsciously perpetuated, deeply entrenched, inherently racist institutions? And due to US dominance in the whole 5-Eyes sociocultural-economic bloc thing we've got going on, we've kind of laid that whole dynamic over our own circumstances, even though they're only superficially related? But it's the language we have so we go with it anyway?

Something like that. Just a guess really.
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:50     #57
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I think it's if you're white and a US citizen living in the US, you benefit from unconsciously perpetuated, deeply entrenched, inherently racist institutions? And due to US dominance in the whole 5-Eyes sociocultural-economic bloc thing we've got going on, we've kind of laid that whole dynamic over our own circumstances, even though they're only superficially related? But it's the language we have so we go with it anyway?

And you're not going to lay a WASP guilt trip either.
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:08     #58
ZoSo

Canada for sure, is already lost to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04wyG...outu.be&t=3492

Apt starting point for here but the whole 1st hour+ is great in helping to understand who's pushing it.
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:44     #59
[Malks] Pixie

Ahahhahhahhaahhahhaha...
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:56     #60
ZoSo

Pixie identified in said discussion, hence easily dismissive ;)
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:09     #61
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Pixie identified in said discussion, hence easily dismissive
Dude, don't do that. Please. Even Lightspeed has his moments

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:23     #62
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca@Work
Hey cunty I worked hard all my life to get a life for myself and kids and now have time to relax and enjoy things.Whats this "white privilaged dudes? " bullshit?I wasn't given anything by anyone other than the chance to work hard.

Have you had the chance at a good education? That's a privilege.
Did you come from a 2-parent home? That's a privilege.
Did you have any parent-supplied funding or accommodation for any tertiary study?
Did you experience good medical care while growing up?
Were you able to study without holding down a job?

I could go on, and while these are not exclusive to white folks, they're a heck of a lot more common. Now sure - everyone needs to run the same race, and once out of tertiary you needed to put a shittonne of work in to get to where you are, and starting with a head-start over the less privileged isn't a crime, but recognise that it is harder for them to catch up.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 2nd November 2017 at 10:26.
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:41     #63
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Dude, don't do that. Please. Even Lightspeed has his moments :p
Fair enough. But on one hand you've got a guy teaching at Harvard around '93-98 arguably right around the era where most here take their lead from. The other - instantly dropping the ahha's. Probably cause he's on a comedian's show who's pretty fucking smart and has 10's of millions of people interested in him, because of it.. but hey, he's still a comedian. Oh and MMA.. masculine toxicity and all - and he's (Peterson) had to go on some other questionable channels due to the left shutting him out and the rise of trumptards being the only options left to him to make some coin, hence tainted - and naturally, they're easily dismissive due to the opinion given.
Given idiots on both sides, very hard to find a better long form discussion which unpacks some of this and it's spread.

Last edited by ZoSo : 2nd November 2017 at 10:44.
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:42     #64
[Malks] Pixie

Well I laughed because the first minute of that linked video (from where it was time stamped) is so farcical. I had thought folks were being a bit hyperbolic in their "not understanding" for comedic purposes, but apparently not.

The idea of "privilege" (white or otherwise) is not saying that you only got where you are because of race. It's not saying that you didn't work hard. It's not saying that you're a bad person.

It is saying that the structure of the society that we live in has benefited you in particular ways that are invisible to you because they appear natural.

This isn't some new idea that has sprung up over night, there are decades of actual research across multiple fields (in particular economics) that have quantified it.

Shit, I'm an abject failure at modern life by any objective measure and I still recognise that I had a far easier ride because I'm a white guy. Nothing I can do about that except recognise it and factor it into how I understand other peoples experiences.

Edit : ninja'd by crocos who put it far better than I did.

Last edited by [Malks] Pixie : 2nd November 2017 at 10:44.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:06     #65
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
...very hard to find a better long form discussion which unpacks some of this and it's spread.
No it isn't very hard to find background on it - you could start with the Wikipedia page which literally outlines the different theories which it draws from and how it has developed over time - and the critiques of it from other directions. But sure, got to some talk back radio style youtube clip if you think that's a reliable source.

And just for the sake of rebuttal I made my judgement on what they said and the tone that it was delivered. Had no idea one of them was a comedian or who the other was - judgement based on content (which from the short snippet I consumed was nothing that I hadn't heard before).
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:07     #66
Lightspeed

Quote:
I wasn't given anything by anyone other than the chance to work hard.
This is a huge privilege. Huge. The world is full of people who would love the opportunity to work hard at something rewarding.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:24     #67
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
No it isn't very hard to find background on it - you could start with the Wikipedia page which literally outlines the different theories which it draws from and how it has developed over time - and the critiques of it from other directions. But sure, got to some talk back radio style youtube clip if you think that's a reliable source.
Knowing you haven't watched it, he goes over (most) of that in his own critique of the development, in the "discussion".
I personally find it compelling.
Old 2nd November 2017, 11:58     #68
[Malks] Pixie

Well I'm glad that you get something out of it - it's just too caustic and involved (tone wise) for me. Seeing as I have nothing but time on my hands I'll see if I can track down some of his peer reviewed written work (if it isn't all pay-walled) and see if that is more nuanced.

That style of presentation really turns me off - you need an adversarial interviewer who is at least as familiar with the material/history/ideas to get any real substance.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:12     #69
ZoSo

Caustic? You want to go see him getting protested or accused of hate speech on TV. For what he's dealing with, he's patient as fuck! I think any sane person would allow him a raised tone or two.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:21     #70
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

credit: http://thewireless.co.nz/authors/toby-morris
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:48     #71
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Caustic? You want to go see him getting protested or accused of hate speech on TV. For what he's dealing with, he's patient as fuck! I think any sane person would allow him a raised tone or two.
Well I am obviously not the intended audience for that video - which (to me) is clear from the production, presupposition of certain ideas, tone and lack of an adversarial "interviewer" (though the host doesn't seem to actually interview). That's fine.

I doubt I'll find much I agree with in his work however as he comes from an alien ideological position to me - but again, that's fine. Most of his serious work seems to be pay walled, I may try and find his earlier stuff (Maps of Meaning: The Architecture of Belief) [jk]from before he was radicalised.[/jk]

edit: though perhaps we move on from this as it has little, if anything, to do with the current Labour govt.
Old 2nd November 2017, 13:06     #72
Lightspeed

Quote:
Even Lightspeed has his moments
I'M ALL MOMENTS ALL THE TIME!!1!
Old 2nd November 2017, 13:33     #73
Lightspeed

Quote:
And you're not going to lay a WASP guilt trip either.
You gonn have to lay that one out for me, I'm out of the loop here.
Old 2nd November 2017, 13:38     #74
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
edit: though perhaps we move on from this as it has little, if anything, to do with the current Labour govt.
Youth, who are all in for the most part, + jacinda.. may suggest otherwise ;) but agreed. Plenty of more lols to come in this thread! (right?) TPP perhaps!
Old 2nd November 2017, 13:40     #75
Lightspeed

Quote:
Wait, I think I got it.
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:28     #76
Macca@Work

Quote:
Have you had the chance at a good education? That's a privilege.
Did you come from a 2-parent home? That's a privilege.
Did you have any parent-supplied funding or accommodation for any tertiary study?
Did you experience good medical care while growing up?
Were you able to study without holding down a job?
Actually my teachers hated me because I wasnt good at maths sports or chess.
My dad was not far off being an alchaholic and was prone to be violent and abusive on occasions.
Nope.Got a student loan and payed it off.
You mean did I have my own palatial room at middlemore?Nope.
Nope.I had to bite the bullet and work part time and study
which was proberbly what contributed to my break down.
Yessiree us rich honkies...
Sorry Crackass but even for you your post is bulllshit.

Old 2nd November 2017, 14:34     #77
Macca@Work

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...xon_Protestant

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant (WASP) is a term for an elite social class of powerful white Americans of British Protestant ancestry. WASPs often trace their ancestry to the colonial period. The term is often used as a pejorative to attack their historical dominance over the financial, cultural, academic, and legal institutions of the United States.[2][3] The term is usually used to distinguish upscale WASPs from ordinary folks of various White ethnic origins. Sociologists sometimes use the term very broadly to include all Protestant Americans of Northern European or Northwestern European ancestry regardless of their class or power.[4]

Originally, the W in the acronym probably meant "wealthy" rather than "white," as the term "white Anglo-Saxon" is redundant, and WASP traditionally refers only to an elite group, not to all people of English descent.

Until at least the 1940s, WASPs formed the ruling class of the United States with a large role in Republican Party leadership, as well as finance, business, law, higher education, and especially high society.[5] The postwar era saw a steady movement of new groups into higher positions. They developed a style of understated leadership.[6]

During the latter half of the twentieth century, WASP dominance over American society and its institutions began to weaken, with non-WASP Americans increasingly criticizing the WASP hegemony and disparaging WASPs as the epitome of "the Establishment". Since the 1960s, the power of WASPs has sharply declined against the growing influence of ethnic groups, including non-whites.

The term is also used in Australia and Canada for similar elites.

Last edited by Macca@Work : 2nd November 2017 at 14:37.
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:35     #78
Macca@Work

Quote:
This is a huge privilege. Huge. The world is full of people who would love the opportunity to work hard at something rewarding.

Bullshit.
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:37     #79
Lightspeed

Quote:
Actually my teachers hated me because I wasnt good at maths sports or chess.
My dad was not far off being an alchaholic and was prone to be violent and abusive on occasions.
Nope.Got a student loan and payed it off.
You mean did I have my own palatial room at middlemore?Nope.
Nope.I had to bite the bullet and work part time and study
which was proberbly what contributed to my break down.
Yessiree us rich honkies...
Sorry Crackass but even for you your post is bulllshit.

It sounds like you've put up with bullshit. I get if you're feeling unheard in your pain, that hearing about how you're somehow privileged can ring hollow.
Old 2nd November 2017, 14:38     #80
Lightspeed

Quote:
Bullshit.
You're naive. If we're going with short, unqualified responses.