Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 24th October 2017, 10:19     #81
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I don't see things in such doom and gloom National eat babies terms. I think that they have done a pretty good job by most measurements,
Using metrics where they can redefine things like "unemployment", "inflation" and "reduced debt"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
but that the time has come for some attention to be paid to the things that National has not considered high priority stuff.
Such as the people of NZ who don't receive an MP's salary.
Old 24th October 2017, 13:25     #82
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well, it's hardly a NZ-only phenomenon, right? All over the world people in industrialised western democracies are losing their shit and rejecting rational stable options for emotional chaotic ones. Brexit, Trump, Jacinda Ardern, populism is popular. Expertise is uncool.
Old 24th October 2017, 17:18     #83
Lightspeed

Indeed. It's worrying. I wonder if it's largely a consequence of wanting to avoid facing the realities of climate change? Or just the political pendulum swinging. Shit is getting bad out there. Rakhine State is an absolute nightmare.

At least Ardren appears largely coherent. We still enjoy a great deal of insulation in NZ.

I worry that when Labour pull the props out that National have been using to support the economy (e.g. migration), it will be spun as Labour failing at the economy. Hopefully they'll be ready with counter-spin. Sustainable economy or something like that.

I really hope that we trade out migrants for refugees. There is only going to be an increasing volume, if we set ourselves up to be able to settle these increasing volumes it could be a huge win. We get to continue to prop up the economy, à la National, we get some moral authority on the issue, the expertise to settle potentially traumatised refugees is just as helpful for traumatised kiwis. And we can still establish suitability criteria for refugees. NZ can only benefit from resourceful, grateful people living amongst us.
Old 24th October 2017, 17:37     #84
Cyberbob

I think it's general discontent. Lots of people talking about not wanting what they have now, without a lot of clear direction as to what they do want, even less about how to pay for it.

Brexit and Trump were great examples of that. Status quo bad. Change good.

Change to what, you ask? Don't worry, it'll be great. The greatest changes. We'll sort those details out later. You'll be amazed.

It's easy to complain, it's hard to fix. That's why I thought Jacinda Ardern would do a better job being opposition than in power.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 24th October 2017 at 17:40.