Quote:
Your fibre installation is booked for: Thur 10 October
yusssssssss
Old 25th September 2013, 13:37     #82
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
yusssssssss
now you can join the 'fuck you got mine' brigade that is so rife throughout Australian society
Old 25th September 2013, 13:42     #83
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hey, if someone's going to run 100meg fibre to my house and stick an ethernet socket in the wall AT NO COST you better believe I'm saying "yes please".
Old 16th December 2013, 14:32     #84
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I feel guilty now. Just a little bit.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/how-la...215-2zf8y.html

Quote:
At 12.30 on Tuesday, Hockey, who has also been the stand-out thespian of the new federal parliament, will unveil the real horror, dysfunction and narcissism of Kevin Rudd's contribution to Australian political history, disably assisted by Julia Gillard. Hockey will release the mid-year economic and fiscal outlook, known in the trade as MYEFO, which will show a budget deficit much worse than Labor led us to believe, probably close to $50 billion, debt obligations much higher than Labor led us to believe, and unfunded liabilities that are so irresponsibly crushing the government will have to walk away from many of them. The most monumental folly is the National Broadband Network, whose economic rationale was worked out on a piece of paper by Rudd. The scheme subsequently created by former communications minister Stephen Conroy would cost more than $70 billion and never recover its cost of capital. The Abbott government will have to start again.

This post brought to you over Labor's taxpayer-funded fibre.
Old 26th March 2014, 14:20     #85
fixed_truth

This fucken guy is unbelievable

Quote:
“Pre-eminent” Australians will become knights and dames at the Queen’s approval for the first time since 1989 after a shock announcement by the staunchly monarchist prime minister, creating a new tier of honour as an “important grace note” in our national life. . . He had not discussed the move with either his cabinet or his party room and said he had made the decision “in the past few weeks”.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...honours-system
Old 3rd April 2014, 15:15     #86
Juju
get to da choppa

Following on from NZ being ranked as the place with the most freedom, I present to you:

Australia - where hating on a corporate will get you thrown in jail.
Old 3rd April 2014, 15:38     #87
fixed_truth

Are there still any good reasons to move to Australia?
Old 3rd April 2014, 15:42     #88
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Having Tony Abbott's Liberal party in power is certainly not one of them.
Old 3rd April 2014, 17:56     #89
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Are there still any good reasons to move to Australia?
Hot beaches
Hot weather
Hot girls
Hot salaries
Sunshine coast
An actual summer
A winter where you can wear shorts and t-shirts and still be comfortable (in QLD anyway - not so much in other areas)

[PS: I know this is all superficial stuff, please don't take this as my be-all and end-all for being here ]
Old 3rd April 2014, 18:16     #90
fixed_truth

true neff, sounds like a mean place to creep on some aunties

Old 18th May 2014, 20:18     #91
fixed_truth

Exclamation

Budget: it will be chaplains, not secular social workers, at schools

Quote:
National school chaplaincy program given $245m in funding, despite cuts to future school spending
Quote:
Schools will lose the option of appointing secular social workers under the national school chaplaincy program, for which the Abbott government has found an extra $245m in budget funding.
Old 18th May 2014, 20:49     #92
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Moments like these I'm loving having my kids in a secular private school.
Old 18th May 2014, 23:03     #93
Savage

wtf
Old 22nd May 2014, 20:41     #94
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Hot salaries
The tax rate is higher for those on hot salaries isn't it?
Old 22nd May 2014, 21:27     #95
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
The tax rate is higher for those on hot salaries isn't it?
It is a bit higher in each bracket, yes (averages around 3% higher in each bracket). The highest tax bracket is $180k and over, not $70k and over as in NZ (according to IRD page). I have yet to reach such lofty heights and am thus unaffected by that top rate. Obviously this won't apply to everyone, but when I left NZ, it was to accept a role that literally doubled my salary, so the additional tax was negligible.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Rates/Individ...ome-tax-rates/

Last edited by Savage : 22nd May 2014 at 21:30.
Old 3rd June 2014, 02:12     #96
adonis

Was tempted to put this in vid of the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=F4carpZWlVU

lols@Tony Abbott
Old 3rd June 2014, 05:02     #97
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Don't blame me, I voted for kodos
Old 3rd June 2014, 18:30     #98
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis

lols@Tony Abbott
This is awesome - the guy is a bit of a dickhead (as per legendary cameo by old guy).
Old 3rd June 2014, 22:25     #99
zeekiorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonis

lols@Tony Abbott

Dickhead. That's golden.
Old 3rd June 2014, 23:36     #100
Odysseus
Stray Dog

Everything the guy says just sounds so insincere, it's hard to believe anything he says. I know he's a politician but he'd be the last guy I'd ever call a straight shooter.

After seeing this vid, I went through and watched a bunch of vids of previous Australian politicians over the years. Paul Keating came across as a point-scorer in the debating chamber, loving to hear himself speak. Even more than most politicians.

Bob Hawke and John Howard are conservative old farts...the only one that seemed rather constructive and earnest was Gillard even looking across the spectrum back as far as Hawke.
Old 4th June 2014, 07:31     #101
leadinjector

the bit with the epilepsy when he was talking to the reporter is just amazing. how is it that someone with those kind of debating skillz can make it to being PM?
Old 4th June 2014, 08:15     #102
Lightspeed

In Aussie they can!
Old 4th June 2014, 13:26     #103
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
the bit with the epilepsy when he was talking to the reporter is just amazing. how is it that someone with those kind of debating skillz can make it to being PM?
Abbott was simply in the right place at the right time. He happened to be leader of the opposition when AU Labor self-destructed and the electorate collectively went "we don't care who you are or what your policies are, so long as you are not the Labor party we will elect you"
Old 28th August 2014, 10:10     #104
Lightspeed

Holy crap

Tony Abbott to keep secular workers out of school chaplaincy program

Holy-loly.
Old 28th August 2014, 13:30     #105
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Don't get me fucking started, been raging hard for 24 hours.
Old 28th August 2014, 15:48     #106
Savage

How long until the next Aussie Election to get rid of these bumbling religious fuckwits?
Old 31st August 2014, 19:20     #107
Delphinus

From: http://peakenergy.blogspot.co.nz/201...australia.html

Quote:
The Australian is running a poll on energy related issues in Australia - it's one of the few reasons I could think of visiting it (just long enough to vote) - Powering Australia.

Is Australia investing enough in renewable energy? 96% say no. Vote now: http://t.co/9UHTGhB0KY
Old 26th September 2014, 10:00     #108
Lightspeed

Terror laws clear Senate, enabling entire Australian web to be monitored and whistleblowers to be jailed

Let's hope these laws don't creep over here...
Old 26th September 2014, 10:51     #109
Spink

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0HC2FJ20140918

Not at all surprising following that. Could push anything anti-terror related through no problemo.
Old 1st October 2014, 19:20     #110
Spink

Holy shit @ 7 Sharp Tonight: They had a Kiwi with what is essentially a neckbeard being accosted as a muslim. Supposedly Aussie rednecks were yelling at him while he's stopped at a light something along the lines of "We'd better not see you walking around here or we'll cut your head off, bloody muslim" and then he responds "I'm not a muslim I'm a kiwi" and they respond "After we're done with them, you're next" and then he talks about how he's been afraid to drive since, because he's afraid they'll recognize his car and afraid to wear a silver fern in general.

People are animals

edit: segment here - http://tvnz.co.nz/seven-sharp/muslim-fear-video-6096704

Last edited by Spink : 1st October 2014 at 19:23.
Old 6th February 2015, 16:07     #111
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It's on.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-0...-spill/6075470
Old 7th February 2015, 08:57     #112
Genesis

I'm more surprised about Newman though. Labor was obliterated during the last elections, fucken amazing turn around.
Old 12th February 2015, 22:43     #113
Savage

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austral...-US-think-tank
Old 13th February 2015, 13:22     #114
BoyWonder

Has anyone even posed the biggest question of them all - do the curtains match the carpet?
Old 20th August 2015, 12:28     #115
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I wonder if this current Liberal-National coalition govt led by Tony Abbott may be literally the worst government that any Western parliamentary democracy has ever seen. By almost any measure you can think of it is a trainwreck.
Old 20th August 2015, 13:45     #116
blynk

So I guess the left aren't incompetent enough to hide the fact of how bad the government is.
Or do Australians care less about the opposition and focus more on what the actual government is doing.
Old 20th August 2015, 15:39     #117
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I wonder if this current Liberal-National coalition govt led by Tony Abbott may be literally the worst government that any Western parliamentary democracy has ever seen. By almost any measure you can think of it is a trainwreck.
It really is an abortion of epic proportions. Nothing quite like a religious, homophobic misogynist being in charge.
Old 20th August 2015, 16:18     #118
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

But it's not even a conservative Christian government. The thing about theocracies is at least they have principles. This government is just plain corrupt. It's about paying off its backers, nothing else.

A CONSERVATIVE government would be in favour of, say, marriage equality. Because marriage holds families together and the family is the fundamental unit of conservative social policy. The more people getting married the better, a conservative should say.

A CHRISTIAN government would be in favour of accepting refugees from wars, because that's what Jebus would do. Show those refugees some charity, a Christian would say.

A quote-unquote NEOLIBERAL government would be in favour of, say, renewable energy projects because there's a possibility of making shitloads of money out of it. Or in favour of Internet infrastructure because bitchinfast Internet means innovation and startups and new tech shit we haven't even thought of and there's a possibility of making shitloads of money out of it. Let's get fucking rich before some other fucker somewhere else does, a neoliberal would say.

The Abbott Government is saying none of those things and is in favour of none of those things. It's fucking over families, so it can't be conservative; it's running fucking concentration camps, so it can't be Christian; it's stomping all over tech development and the jobs and money and market domination that could result, so it can't be quote-unquote neoliberal.

Sure is bending over backwards for mining companies and traditional media companies though. If you want to dig up some coal or print some newspapers, the Abbott government will accept your paper bag without question.
Old 20th August 2015, 16:31     #119
CCS
Stunt Pants

At least it's not K Rudd though, right?
Old 20th August 2015, 16:48     #120
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yep.