User Name
Password

Old 26th October 2010, 14:06     #161
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Link?
You've been hiding down in your darkroom again, haven't you!
Old 26th October 2010, 14:15     #162
crocos

... Maybe I've been too busy spying on you in the bathroom.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 26th October 2010, 14:27     #163
CCS
Stunt Pants

Link?
Old 26th October 2010, 14:40     #164
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
It doesn't matter if your speedo is 100% precise - as a human driver you are NOT. Without cruise control a human driver will not keep the speed to an exact amount within 1 kph, there will always be some fluctuations.
The answer is cars that drive themselves, google's onto it.
Old 26th October 2010, 14:44     #165
CCS
Stunt Pants

Very angry

The only answer is to equip cars with speed restricters that limit the car to the corresponding speed of the road, managed by special beacons that set the speed of all cars in that zone. THE ROAD TOLL MUST COME DOWN!

As soon as people stop speeding, the road will become safe again.
Old 26th October 2010, 14:51     #166
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Link?
http://tiny.cc/CamOnCCS

Old 26th October 2010, 18:24     #167
MadMax
Stuff

ccs, you don't even drive so stfu
Old 26th October 2010, 18:31     #168
CCS
Stunt Pants

Uhh what? From which magical fairy land did you get that from?

Shit you're dumb.
Old 26th October 2010, 18:37     #169
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
ccs, you don't even drive so stfu
WTF? Even I know he drives a white Honda. Had pics of it on the forum & all.

Old 26th October 2010, 19:01     #170
Beccara

Drove Whangarei to Wellington on Friday from 7pm till 5am, Stuck to pure SH1 path and didnt see a single cop. Drove back Monday 1pm till 11pm and saw 1.

I lost count of how many "more police out this weekend" signs I saw. The 4km/hr thing is a joke, Every time I hit a pothole in my car my speed changes that much. Its impossible to stick to unless you stick to 90km/hr on 100km/gr roads which is what I saw, perfectly good cars able to do 100km/hr no problems sit at 90km/hr the whole way, It was a joke and would have slowed me down by a couple of hours if i stuck to it
Old 26th October 2010, 19:12     #171
Cyberbob

I always thought the leniency in speed limit enforcement was to compensate for any uncalibrated speedos?

I still reckon a limit is a limit. Anything over the limit for a certain time period (Any amount over the limit for more than 10 seconds, for example) should be pingable, not just a case of going over the limit by a certain amount.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 26th October 2010 at 19:13.
Old 26th October 2010, 19:18     #172
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
I always thought the leniency in speed limit enforcement was to compensate for any uncalibrated speedos?
Nope - it's for compensating for an uncalibrated right-foot.

The way speedometers are constructed, when they go out-of-true they read faster than you are actually going.

Old 26th October 2010, 19:20     #173
Rocket

Quote:

I still reckon a limit is a limit. Anything over the limit for a certain time period (Any amount over the limit for more than 10 seconds, for example) should be pingable, not just a case of going over the limit by a certain amount.
yeh same. if you dont wanna get caught then go 90 KM/h give your OWN self a 10% buffer. dont expect mr copper to.

one thing i dont agree with is speed cameras. had a interesting article on tv new the other night claiming london was call speed camera city, yet melbourne has 10 times more speed cameras, and it has no effect what so ever on the road toll.
Old 26th October 2010, 19:25     #174
Cynos

Saw a few cops on the highway south into Christchurch - they had a cunning trick, or so it seemed - they'd drive at 96km/h and everyone else, paranoid about the cops, would drive at the same speed.

Quote:
According to a GPS, my 'rolla's speedo is 3km/h under. Considering that speedometers are not checked for reliability in WOFs or similar, do you really think it's fair to narrow the margin of mechanical error allowable?

And if so, based on what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket
yeh same. if you dont wanna get caught then go 90 KM/h give your OWN self a 10% buffer. .
Which impedes the people behind you, and renders the road less efficient in transporting people. Nice one bruvva.
Old 26th October 2010, 19:37     #175
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
According to a GPS, my 'rolla's speedo is 3km/h under.
Yeah - my hatchback is at least 5km under - and I assumed it was due to the wrong size tyres on the back. Really pisses people off when I sat on what I (and the cruise control) thought was 50, and I was only doing 45...
Old 26th October 2010, 19:55     #176
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
According to a GPS, my 'rolla's speedo is 3km/h under. Considering that speedometers are not checked for reliability in WOFs or similar, do you really think it's fair to narrow the margin of mechanical error allowable?
Get the NZTA to change the WOF guidelines?

I still get the idea that people think it's called a Speed Guideline, rather than a Speed Limit.

yes it's just a number, but that number has huge impact in a situation.

A car braking from 65 km/h will still be travelling at 32 km/h at the point where a vehicle braking from 60 km/h has stopped.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 26th October 2010 at 19:56.
Old 26th October 2010, 20:33     #177
Markh

Quote:
There is probably the idea that people hate cops enough as it is - ticketing motorists for driving 101kph is probably not the best way to get the average motorist on your side. It's much easier to point out that there is a limit and that the driver is going a decent amount too much above that then to say there is a limit and the driver was slightly exceeding that.

"the limit is 100"
"yeah"
"I clocked you at 103"
"so?"
"umm . . . "

It's hard enough to get people to understand that the cop isn't a cunt for ticketing them for doing 111kph, giving out tickets for 105kph is going to do fuck all for road safety and piss people off.
Old 26th October 2010, 20:37     #178
Markh

Quote:
yes it's just a number, but that number has huge impact in a situation.

A car braking from 65 km/h will still be travelling at 32 km/h at the point where a vehicle braking from 60 km/h has stopped.
So you are saying that the speed limit on the open road should be 60kph at most? Anything more would be too dangerous? Wouldn't 40kph be safer though?

I kinda think that the speed tolerance was taken into account when the limits were set. Like on the open road if the limit was 110kph then people would drive at 120 so they made it 100 so people could be ticketed if they exceeded 110.
Old 26th October 2010, 21:01     #179
Beccara

People and cars cant stick to 100k all the time 10km/hr is a fair amount and no going 90km/hr is just going to fuck everyone else off on the road
Old 26th October 2010, 21:25     #180
Noon416

Unless things have changed (yes, I'm too lazy to reconfirm), the tolerance is up to 106kph, which is a combination of legal tolerance on speedo's of +/- 3kph (original source: can't remember) and the same on calibrated police radar units (original source: operators manual from 2002).

So unless they've changed the law and/or updated their radar units to something more accurate, then you can choose to fight a 101 to 106kph ticket in court with a good chance of it being dismissed.

Of course, you'd have to be doing that on principle because the time, effort and costs would exceed the cost of just paying the ticket.
Old 26th October 2010, 23:30     #181
Pleb'a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccara
People and cars cant stick to 100k all the time 10km/hr is a fair amount and no going 90km/hr is just going to fuck everyone else off on the road
You just said 10km/hr is a fair amount, but only if it's above 100km/hr ? Double standards much ?
Old 26th October 2010, 23:45     #182
zeekiorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
The only answer is to equip cars with speed restricters that limit the car to the corresponding speed of the road, managed by special beacons that set the speed of all cars in that zone. THE ROAD TOLL MUST COME DOWN!

As soon as people stop speeding, the road will become safe again.
Cunning idea. After this you can never get ticketed for speeding. You never get stuck behind someone doing 70k in 100k zone. Most important of all, this will take all the police officers off the road.
Old 27th October 2010, 00:00     #183
CCS
Stunt Pants

Best of all, nobody will ever die again. on the road
Old 27th October 2010, 11:34     #184
GM

Dual carriage ways like they have in Australia on the gold coast. Two lanes with a huge gap between the two roads instead of a painted line, people travel at the speed limit on the inside lane and passing actually occurs. Best road design I've ever driven on, oh, that and the 110km speed limit

Aus > NZ roads and driving.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:36     #185
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
Dual carriage ways like they have in Australia on the gold coast. Two lanes with a huge gap between the two roads instead of a painted line, people travel at the speed limit on the inside lane and passing actually occurs. Best road design I've ever driven on, oh, that and the 110km speed limit

Aus > NZ roads and driving.
Excellent.

You give us the land mass to create these roads, and we'll give you the roads.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:57     #186
crocos

Right after WW2, the USA offered to create 4-lane highways running the entire length of the North and South Islands. The government refused (it was as a loan, with interest).

Old 27th October 2010, 11:59     #187
crocos

Oh, and Cyberbob - you even got your license yet?

Old 27th October 2010, 13:18     #188
Cyberbob

Been getting lessons over here in Melbourne, so :P

Old 27th October 2010, 13:21     #189
Fx.

so, no
Old 27th October 2010, 13:27     #190
mpx

I'd like to see them try put wide barriers between coastal roads and valley roads such as the Coromandel. New Zealand roads aren't Australian roads.

What I feel we need is strict punishment for drink driving, mandatory driver training and tougher practical tests as well as optional advanced driver training courses with huge emphasis on driving to the conditions. I belive you can be 16 years old and on your restricted, which means Jonny BeStupid can somehow get himself an immensely powerful car with little to no experience and have little fear of shit hitting the fan, until it actually does.

Grats on learning drive bob :P
Old 27th October 2010, 13:49     #191
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpx
I'd like to see them try put wide barriers between coastal roads and valley roads such as the Coromandel. New Zealand roads aren't Australian roads.
You'll probably find those roads don't have as much use as, say, SH1.. but you know, I'm not sure if there is actually a comparison to be made there tbh - btw, they have coastal and valley roads in Australia too.
Old 27th October 2010, 13:59     #192
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
You'll probably find those roads don't have as much use as, say, SH1.. but you know, I'm not sure if there is actually a comparison to be made there tbh - btw, they have coastal and valley roads in Australia too.
SH1 in Wellington up to Kapiti has got to be the most dangerous I know of, considering its daily traffic volume.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:00     #193
mpx

The incidents where people are crossing the centreline are predominantly on blind corners and the like - not main highways or expressways and in the parts where they are dangerous, it would most likely be nigh impossible to put wide barriers between them due to the surroundings.

Last edited by mpx : 27th October 2010 at 14:01.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:01     #194
GM

I thought we were talking about speeding *shrugs*
Old 27th October 2010, 14:10     #195
crocos

Not speeding soo much as more the current heavy emphasis on speeding vs other, potentially more effective, methods of reducing the road toll + reducing accidents in general.

Old 27th October 2010, 14:44     #196
GM

+ 1 clarity.

I'd have to wonder how much government intervention / driver education has actually affected the road toll versus improvements in car design (seat belts / air bags / crumple zones).

Whether issuing all these speeding tickets and running ad campaigns have saved anywhere near the amount of lives saved through the invention the crumple zone or air bags for example. It seems a bit disingenuous for us to say we've lowered the road toll through ad campaigns when 99% of the prevention of fatal road crashes were actually a result of improved car design over the last decade or so.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:50     #197
StN
I have detailed files

I saw a cartoon related to this many years ago. It involved hedgehogs, and how they were being decimated in Europe due to cars. So they genetically modifed hedgehogs to the point where their spikes were mega strong, and would puncture tyres rather than get squashed. Which led to more crashes. In the end the problem was solved by making hovercars, and hedgehogs were allowed to be hedgehogs.

Actually, it's got nothing to do with this - except that the problem may not be centred around how they are trying to fix it.
Old 27th October 2010, 14:57     #198
GM

There was a movie I saw a while ago where the vehicle would completely fill with expanding foam on impact. Seemed like a good idea to me, but I'm no car crash safety engineer so yeah.

Probably had Will Smith / Tom Cruise in it playing a guy in the not too near future dealing with a phil 101 conundrum.
Old 27th October 2010, 15:02     #199
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Right after WW2, the USA offered to create 4-lane highways running the entire length of the North and South Islands. The government refused (it was as a loan, with interest).

proof pls
Old 27th October 2010, 15:16     #200
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
proof pls
It's really not that important.