Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 27th August 2010, 14:40     #81
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
So in order to reduce crime, we just need to make the minority native population tremendously wealthy? Hone Harawira's going to love that one
Put it this way. Any labourers that are lucky to work in the UAE know not to commit crime. Because if they do they know they'll get chucked in some nasty as prison cell beaten about by a sadistic Palestinian prison guard before being deported back to whatever hell hole they came from.

Pro as country
Old 27th August 2010, 14:42     #82
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I believe in the death penalty. I don't think some should get the luxury of being alive. E.g. Graham Burton
Would it be ok for someone to kill you if they didn't think that you should get the luxury of being alive?
Old 27th August 2010, 14:53     #83
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Would it be ok for someone to kill you if they didn't think that you should get the luxury of being alive?
Yeah if I was a homicidal maniac with 0 chance of rehabilitation. What would be the point of keeping me alive?
Old 27th August 2010, 15:00     #84
fixed_truth

I said "if they didn't think that you should get the luxury of being alive". Not if they shared your subjective standard for justified killing.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:00     #85
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

So who gets to decide who is beyond rehab?
Old 27th August 2010, 15:03     #86
xor

Quote:
I said "if they didn't think that you should get the luxury of being alive". Not if they shared your subjective standard for justified killing.
Who are 'they'?
Old 27th August 2010, 15:05     #87
fixed_truth

The person(s) who think that you shouldn't get the luxury of being alive.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:06     #88
xor

Yeah sweet. Can you stop this rhetorical question bs and make your point already?
Old 27th August 2010, 15:10     #89
fixed_truth

My point is that just because you think someone doesn't deserve to be alive is not a justification to kill them.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:11     #90
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
So who gets to decide who is beyond rehab?
xor, clearly.

Also, being a psychopath is anything but luxury.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:19     #91
xor

Quote:
My point is that just because you think someone doesn't deserve to be alive is not a justification to kill them.
The courts decide whether someone can be in society or not. So why not death?

I just don't see the big deal in executing someone like Graham Burton. I mean, what's the point in keeping him alive? There are some people that are just bad motherfuckers who will do nasty shit if given half the chance. So why give them that opportunity?
Old 27th August 2010, 15:48     #92
Lightspeed

Well, for one it means the individual takes 100% responsibility for their actions, that their actions were in no way influenced by their environment or other factors outside of their control.

It's a very utilitarian way of looking at things. NZ isn't very utilitarian I don't think.
Old 27th August 2010, 17:56     #93
Endymion

The problem with capital punishment is that most of the prison population are illiterate, addicted to drugs and affected by mental illness. Killing them offers no insight into preventing their crimes from being repeated over and over by others, but the current 'rehabilitation' programs seem to do little either.

Any human is more valuable alive than dead, but they are no good if they don't get the treatment they need.
Old 27th August 2010, 17:59     #94
mpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Well that's not entirely true, it could be a Jury. I wouldn't want my literal life in the hands of 12 Joe Bloggs, especially if the police got the wrong person.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:00     #95
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Because courts are *gasp* human and make bad decisions, and capital punishment is irreversible.

So yeah. For every Graeme Burton you execute there's a chance of executing an Arthur Allan Thomas. If you're comfortable with that, you're severely lacking in empathy.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:20     #96
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynos
Because courts are *gasp* human and make bad decisions, and capital punishment is irreversible.

So yeah. For every Graeme Burton you execute there's a chance of executing an Arthur Allan Thomas. If you're comfortable with that, you're severely lacking in empathy.
Yes there are flaws, but that is a different discussion isn't it fuckhead?

To put it in a better perspective for you. If there was overwhelming evidence of someone committing murder then yes I would like to see an executioner sitting out back with a glock waiting to pop one in the back of his skull followed by a bill for the bullet sent to the convicts whanau.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:32     #97
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor

To put it in a better perspective for you. If there was overwhelming evidence of someone committing murder then yes I would like to see an executioner sitting out back with a glock waiting to pop one in the back of his skull followed by a bill for the bullet sent to the convicts whanau.
Define overwhelming. Doodoopants.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:33     #98
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I just don't see the big deal in executing someone like Graham Burton. I mean, what's the point in keeping him alive? There are some people that are just bad motherfuckers who will do nasty shit if given half the chance. So why give them that opportunity?
You don't see it as a big deal but an overwhelming majority of states in this world that occupy the upper echelon of all objective rankings for social development, desirability-as-a-place-to-live-in, and are generally seen as good examples for all normal governments to aspire to disagree. See a problem? You are rather unlikely to be wiser than all of the collective wisdom.

How many murderers actually kill again? Don't get all emotional and start referencing only extreme cases like Graham Burton.

Edit: Just saw even more idiocy from Xor. Making a murderer's family pay for a murderer's execution? Fuck me, you're stupider than pig shit. At least try and stay consistent -- if someone deserves to be executed because there's some "overhwleming" evidence of guilt, why punish others who weren't actually involved in the act? Thanks for undermining the very foundation of the criminal justice system, you fucking twat.

Last edited by cyc : 27th August 2010 at 18:36.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:57     #99
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
You don't see it as a big deal but an overwhelming majority of states in this world that occupy the upper echelon of all objective rankings for social development, desirability-as-a-place-to-live-in, and are generally seen as good examples for all normal governments to aspire to disagree. See a problem?
No problems over here. I just don't see the point in keeping crazy motherfuckers with no chance of rehabilitation that commit heinous atrocities alive. Why would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
You are rather unlikely to be wiser than all of the collective wisdom.
I wasn't trying to come across like I was wiser than anyone o_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Edit: Just saw even more idiocy from Xor. Making a murderer's family pay for a murderer's execution? Fuck me, you're stupider than pig shit. At least try and stay consistent -- if someone deserves to be executed because there's some "overhwleming" evidence of guilt, why punish others who weren't actually involved in the act? Thanks for undermining the very foundation of the criminal justice system, you fucking twat.
No, I don't actually think that should happen. I also don't think they should be lined up directly after the verdict and shot without due process either. I put it there for shock and awe and got a response

Last edited by xor : 27th August 2010 at 18:59.
Old 27th August 2010, 18:58     #100
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
If there was overwhelming evidence of someone committing murder then yes I would like to see an executioner sitting out back with a glock waiting to pop one in the back of his skull followed by a bill for the bullet sent to the convicts whanau.
Ya might not wanna be so hasty their tough guy.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/inno...reed-death-row
Old 27th August 2010, 19:00     #101
xor

Quote:
Ya might not wanna be so hasty their tough guy.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/inno...reed-death-row

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Old 27th August 2010, 19:01     #102
Lightspeed

o_O

So you're saying that the death penalty is a reasonable punishment, but the reasons why it's not a reasonable punishment is a different conversation?
Old 27th August 2010, 20:53     #103
ilk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endymion
Any human is more valuable alive than dead, but they are no good if they don't get the treatment they need.
But what if the organs of the executed felon are used to save multiple lives - wouldn't that make them more valuable dead than alive? /Niven

Last edited by ilk : 27th August 2010 at 20:55.
Old 28th August 2010, 00:32     #104
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Death penalty should be a suspended sentence. So, you commit a crime worthy of punishment by death, and you go to jail as per usual for say 18 years or whatever it is, and if you come out and commit another crime punishable by death, you die.

That way, if you're mistakenly convicted, cool, you just serve jail time, and come out and prove how saintly you really are. Fantastic.

However if you're still an asshole after serving time, you die.

Still any holes?
Old 28th August 2010, 10:21     #105
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Still any holes?
Well yeah. I don't agree to surrender my humanity just because someone has lost theirs.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:21     #106
Lightspeed

Ooh, that's a good one.
Old 28th August 2010, 12:24     #107
?>Superman

This thread needs more Cinclant tbh
Old 28th August 2010, 13:28     #108
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Well, for one it means the individual takes 100% responsibility for their actions, that their actions were in no way influenced by their environment or other factors outside of their control.

It's a very utilitarian way of looking at things.
That ain't no form of utilitarianism I ever heard of.
Old 28th August 2010, 14:06     #109
Lightspeed

What I mean is the classical school of criminology, which is considered utilitarian. I.e. it assumes crime stems from rational thought and action, with no factoring for unconscious thoughts and drives.

I'm not an expert of criminology, but I think this is correct usage.
Old 28th August 2010, 15:15     #110
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

DRINK!
Old 28th August 2010, 15:19     #111
Lightspeed

Rolling eyes

Grow up.
Old 28th August 2010, 15:28     #112
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I don't agree to surrender my immaturity just because someone has lost theirs!
Old 28th August 2010, 15:44     #113
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

Hahahah.
Old 28th August 2010, 15:54     #114
?>Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I don't agree to surrender my immaturity just because someone has lost theirs!
^lol
Old 28th August 2010, 16:12     #115
Trigger
Laserman

Last edited by Trigger : 28th August 2010 at 16:14.
Old 28th August 2010, 17:36     #116
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
That ain't no form of utilitarianism I ever heard of.
Exactly.
Old 28th August 2010, 17:45     #117
Lightspeed

*shrug* I must have misread.

Anyways, if we want to do something about crime, we need to start thinking about why so many people need help (particularly women), and why so many don't receive help when they seek it?

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...ed-women-study
Old 28th August 2010, 21:49     #118
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

What an expert guy.
Old 28th August 2010, 23:48     #119
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
*shrug* I must have misread.

Anyways, if we want to do something about crime, we need to start thinking about why so many people need help (particularly women), and why so many don't receive help when they seek it?

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nation...ed-women-study
Shoot them and all will be good. For the glory of Rome.

Drank.
Old 29th August 2010, 01:51     #120
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

*high grammar fives x0r*

It's all about practicality, and the glory of Rome.

Villa est villa romana.

Gotchorback!