Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 21st March 2024, 20:10     #6081
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

The end of landlords: the surprisingly simple solution to the UK housing crisis

Quote:
We now find ourselves in a situation where one in every 21 adults in the UK is a landlord. We have four times as many landlords as teachers. As a consequence, virtually everyone struggles to afford a home that meets their needs despite a net gain in housing stock.
Quote:
Where Adam Smith and Karl Marx found common ground was in the idea that everyone’s interests are aligned against landlords: they are an economic deadweight. Even if we leave aside the appalling conditions and precarity that private renters face, anyone with an interest in lower taxes, lower wage bills and increasing the number of first-time buyers must equally be interested in smashing the private rented sector to bits.

This is my peace offering to Lightspeed - something I think we can both agree on. Landlords - at least in the form they take today [leverage equity to outbid FHBs and hold rents high] - are parasites and society would be better off without them. Until we solve the housing affordability problem, nothing will be fixed.
Old 22nd March 2024, 12:29     #6082
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Bluewink

Interesting revelations

Five Eyes ran spy operation out of NZ's security bureau (yesterday)
Quote:
A former senior minister says it's fair to assume its a member of the Five Eyes that ran a spy operation out of New Zealand's security bureau, which didn't have sign off from the government of the day. Edit: LOL, sure it didn't

...the system operated from 2013 until 2020, when it was stopped by an equipment failure.

A Five Eyes partner, from 2013 you say. Obama was president from 2009 until 2017.

Barack Obama drops into No10 for surprise visit on his way through London (2 days ago)

Well that's interesting. He kinda needed to have a chat and a cup of tea. Because you know, he's not the President anymore, so of course he needs to talk to Five Eyes partners.

Then there was this from 2018:
Former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton is coming to New Zealand

Quote:
She lasted visited in 2010 as Secretary of State, but will return as a private citizen, having left political life following her defeat in the 2016 Presidential election.

She will be coming only a few months after her former boss, Barack Obama, is expected to visit to promote a new Air New Zealand route to Chicago.

Barack Obama to visit New Zealand in March

Quote:
Former US President Barack Obama will finally go ahead with his promise to visit New Zealand on a trip in March.

The Herald on Sunday understands Obama will visit on about March 21 arranged by Air New Zealand.

The reason for the visit is unknown but there has been speculation Air NZ is about to launch a new route to the United States, likely Chicago which is Obama's home town.

Former Prime Minister Sir John Key is now on the Air NZ board and will have been instrumental in securing the high-level visit due to his relationship with Obama when the two were leaders.

Ah yes, John Key

Key releases GCSB documents

Quote:
"Claims have been made tonight that are simply wrong and that is because they are based on incomplete information."

He would not discuss XKEYSCORE, ''we don't discuss the specific programmes the GCSB may, or may not use''.

I remember that. I wonder what's so interesting these days that a former president needs to sort things out with the UK Prime Minister, and why we have revelations that some shit was going on in NZ?

I do know that there's a guy who claimed Obama was spying on him, who is not a fan of Hillary, and looks like he'll end up being the next President.

But I'm sure all of this is a coincidence.
Old 25th March 2024, 12:25     #6083
Lightspeed

It speaks volumes that Seymour is calling challenges to their tax cuts envy, rather than laying out the benefits of such tax cuts to the economy and the country.
Old 25th March 2024, 12:32     #6084
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
The end of landlords: the surprisingly simple solution to the UK housing crisis

This is my peace offering to Lightspeed - something I think we can both agree on. Landlords - at least in the form they take today [leverage equity to outbid FHBs and hold rents high] - are parasites and society would be better off without them. Until we solve the housing affordability problem, nothing will be fixed.
Surely the housing affordability problem is exacerbated by asset rich landlords out bidding owner occupiers? Surely if owner occupiers were only bidding against other owner occupiers because policy says existing landlords need not apply, then prices rising will slow down, and affordability will be more likely?

It doesn't have to be a drastic big-bang change, just have it be a slowly introduced covenant of the property. If a suburbs only allows sales to owner occupiers, then you'll absolutely see change over time.
Old 26th March 2024, 16:28     #6085
Lightspeed

UN Security Council demands immediate Gaza ceasefire after US abstains

Goes to show how bad things are in Gaza that the US isn't standing up for Israel.

It's crazy such an orgy of violence has gone on without real challenge for so long.
Old 26th March 2024, 17:54     #6086
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Has Hamas released the Israeli hostages yet?
Old 26th March 2024, 17:56     #6087
Lightspeed

Quote:
The remaining 14 council members voted for the resolution - proposed by the 10 elected members of the body - that also demands the immediate and unconditional release of all hostages. There was applause in the council chamber after the vote.
I wonder about the wording. Is it "all" hostages, or just those held by Hamas?
Old Yesterday, 21:40     #6088
fixed_truth

I've just come to terms with Duncan Garner's new wokeness. Didn't have Matthew Hooton defending unique Maori rights on my bingo card

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Srlv21qAA_I

Or maybe all the oxygen that Muppet Seymour is getting in the media is making me think that ignorance is the norm
Old Today, 00:00     #6089
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I won't make any comments on your video, but I got this one recommended to me after watching yours: New Zealand: Joshua Green, not convicted because he's a Maori

Clearly I'm in living in a fucked up country where people are judged by their ancestry and not equally under the law. For shame.

The only thing more depressing than seeing this all happen, is seeing idiots defending it because social justice and the fact they have a mangina.

As you were though. You're entitled to your opinion, even if it's fucking stupid.

I'm all for people being weasles in court and using stupid defenses. That's just the legal system. But when you start conjuring up spells of mana and absolute bollocks because race relations are turning to shit, it's a sign we're heading down the wrong path, IMHO.
Old Today, 08:10     #6090
fixed_truth

The problem is that your opinion isn't informed. Clearly that's not something you value.

Nevermind nuance, historical/sociopolitical context or listening to those with a high level of knowledge and understanding in complex topics. Why would you when you've done your own research.