Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 15th May 2020, 18:45     #1
MadMax
Stuff

Personal ECG?

Aside from Apple Watch, does anyone have a personal ECG monitor? I could get a Apple Watch if its data is at all presentable to a doctor.

I’ve get a racing heart (180+BPM) or palpitations as they say in hospital. The last time I went in after my heart failed to settle down after several hours I visited the gp who took blood tests which resulted in a summons to ED due to heart enzymes found in my blood. After much mucking around I get told nothing can be done as the episode wasn’t caught on ECG. Ohhhh I hate hospitals.

I’m not old enough or of the correct criteria for a holster/monitor at home (maybe I should start smoking?). Plus you only get one for a limited length of time which may not even capture the problem.

Yesterday I had a repeat of the above but this time walked straight to ED, told them I needed bloods+ECG ASAP but after a minimal 1 hour wait my heart had almost settled down to 105bpm. Blood tests showed again heart enzymes at increasing levels. I got the fuck out of there knowing it was just ground hog day again.

Oh, and that fucking nurse that suggested my heart rate was up because I walked to the hospital and that the previous machines were probably inaccurate ...

I have health insurance if that helps. Maybe I need to find somewhere in town I can walk in without appointment and get an ECG on the spot.
Old 19th May 2020, 10:55     #2
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yikes, heart stuff ain't funny. Aren't those sorts of sensors relatively inexpensive? Non-AW I mean.
Old 19th May 2020, 14:42     #3
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
I’m not old enough or of the correct criteria for a holster/monitor at home
Unlucky, this is just a resource management thing which criteria varies depending on the DHB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
I have health insurance if that helps. Maybe I need to find somewhere in town I can walk in without appointment and get an ECG on the spot.
Yeah there are private cardiac clinics out there. Do it.
Old 19th May 2020, 20:53     #4
MadMax
Stuff

Currently borrowing one of these which I plan to buy

https://www.alivecor.com/kardiamobile6l

I've been told second hand it's been recommended by a heart doc in town so should be OK.

It extremely sensitive to any body movement so one has to keep quite still during the reading. It will be interesting to see how it works during another episode as my heart is literally shaking my torso when it's going off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yikes, heart stuff ain't funny. Aren't those sorts of sensors relatively inexpensive? Non-AW I mean.
There's some nasty looking things from China on your choice of store for next to nothing but I don't want to be buying something only to be told the reading it has taken is meaningless. At least this KardiaMobile thing is FDA approved, if that means anything.

Last edited by MadMax : 19th May 2020 at 20:58.
Old 20th May 2020, 07:53     #5
StN
I have detailed files

Kardia looks interesting - all I have is an AliExpress BPM and an Apple Watch, so I might look at one. Although this rang alarm bells:

The 6-lead one touts in the US (which makes sense):

CONNECTIVITY
Bluetooth Low Energy technology
1m wireless range

Whereas the local agent says:
Proprietary technology that converts electrical impulses from fingertips into ultrasound signals transmitted to your mobile’s microphone.
Maybe they just dumbed it down to boomerspeak? Or maybe the single sensor model is via audio? Anyway, NZ Agent pricing looks stupid - dearer for the single than the US pricing for the 6-lead model.