NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 15th May 2013, 21:12     #321
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Some will remember when the respective food authorities could not agree on a transtasman pie standard; the issue was the Australians wanted the standard to allow the meat content to be lower than NZ could tolerate and still call the item a meat pie. Sure you can find exceptions but you really need to compare what a typical poor person gets to eat - they are the target market for most pies.
Old 16th May 2013, 19:10     #322
moocow

more fat NZ'rs that are being ripped off

GG
Old 5th June 2013, 14:12     #323
[BT]Monza

Tried to grab one for lunch today, was told as entering (Queen st) that 30 min on the pies... Fuck that.
Old 10th June 2013, 21:38     #324
p01s0n

piechat:
went to this place today, fuckin swag pies.
http://pieintheskybilpin.com/

big fluffy buttery pastry tops, huge chunky steak pieces that just melt away in your mouth, full flavored and thick gravy to match.

wrap it up, georgie-pie-ailures.
Old 10th June 2013, 22:19     #325
Delphinus

I recall being able to get great pies back about 10 years ago from the local 4 square in South Taranaki. I think the name was Le Dasionee pies or something along those lines. They had the best ever chilli beef pies, or apple and blackberry. So delicious. Can't find them or anything close these days
Old 10th June 2013, 22:56     #326
Lightspeed

Yeah, I reckon food quality has taken a dive. Like Aztec Corn Chips and CCs. Where's that good shit gone? Food supply has gone to shit, I swear.
Old 10th June 2013, 23:06     #327
mpx

Aztec Corn Chips made the na-tu-ral way!

I still remember those ads. We used to be able to buy them for lunch in intermediate school. I remember there was like, salsa flavour or something - godamn I loved that shit.

Although I don't know if food was better then, or I was just a kid and loved anything that was deemed a treat and savoured it more than I do now.
Old 10th June 2013, 23:21     #328
MadMax
Stuff

Because supermarkets.
Old 10th June 2013, 23:29     #329
Kryten

Fuck, now I want a Ned Kelly from Andre's. At least I know what'll be for lunch tomorrow.
Old 11th June 2013, 00:00     #330
CCS
Stunt Pants

Nothing beats Dairy Flat bakery pies. Nothing. Not Shitty Pie, not Aussie Pie. Nothing.
Old 11th June 2013, 09:38     #331
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Yeah, I reckon food quality has taken a dive. Like Aztec Corn Chips and CCs. Where's that good shit gone? Food supply has gone to shit, I swear.
Nahhhh, we just took MSG out of our diet.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:38     #332
aR Que

out? 621 and 635 are commonly the 3rd listed ingredient in salted goods.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:49     #333
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Nahhhh, we just took MSG out of our diet.
The fuck is this guy even talking about?
Old 11th June 2013, 10:55     #334
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
out? 621 and 635 are commonly the 3rd listed ingredient in salted goods.
A lot less so these days. :/
Old 11th June 2013, 10:57     #335
Cyberbob

Ah, MSG. The last generations "Vaccine = Autism" scare.
Old 21st June 2013, 17:37     #336
CCS
Stunt Pants

ccs's definitive pie review - the only review that fucken matters

Georgie Pie:

TL:DR - fucking weak. Don't bother.

Long version:
First two bites and I hadn't even hit mince. Ominous.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the filling doesn't start until fully halfway into the pie! There's just a bigarse cavity of nothing (like quint's mom's vagina).

I took the pie out of the bag to get a good look at this thing. Damn. That is a $4.50 pie? Pastry slightly overcooked.

So how was the filling? Let's take a look:

I actually quite like the cheese. It's pretty much the same cheese which is in Big Ben pies. The same cheese that people say they hate in a Big Ben pie but love in a Georgie Pie. Go figure.

This is supposed to be a steak and cheese pie. Rather than the nice large chunks of steak you would get in a pie from a bakery that doesn't try to fuck you in the arse, this pie has tiny little wee fragments of steak. You might as well just call it a mince and cheese pie. The gravy was nice enough, but it was swimming in gravy. Consider that the inside of the pie is only half full of filling and the bulk of the filling is gravy and cheese. That's a pretty fucking poor deal. Look, it didn't taste bad but it's a pathetic pie and it's worth about $2.50. Seriously, for all the crap that people give Big Ben, I would rather have a BB than a GP.

Verdict: if you absolutely need to satisfy your curiosity or want a nostalgia trip, go ahead and buy one. If you want a good pie, spend your FOUR DOLLARS FUCKING FIFTY on a pie from a proper bakery.

Georgie Pie sucks.
Old 21st June 2013, 17:59     #337
crusador

bp connect pies ftw
Old 21st June 2013, 19:00     #338
sackos

wow, almost 5 years to the day when i started this thread back in "08". I finally tried GP on Wednesday night and i had mixed emotions when taking my first bite. It resurrected the memories that were hidden in the banks of my brain of taking an ex-gf on a date only to show up at Georgie Pie in New Lynn and shouting her a rad mince'cheese combo before buying another couple pies to hide in my bag. Then the short walk to the movie theatre to watch Braveheart on the big screen......."FRRREEEEDDOOOMMM"

I loved it, thought the pastry was better than back in the day. Seemed more flakey and tasted amazing when cold.
Old 21st June 2013, 23:04     #339
madmaxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusador
bp connect pies ftw
Oh yes.
Old 22nd June 2013, 00:51     #340
The Brad

Exclamation hmmm

To be honest it looks like what I remember. They were great as a $2 gap filler as a teen. But now for $4+ you can get better from a servo.

Call it as I see it.
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:27     #341
fidgit
Always itchy

Looks like an Irvine's pie. Not surprised. Will stick to servo pies (since they're selling gourmet pies these days, which is something I keep banging on about and no one will listen to me damnit >_<)
Old 5th September 2013, 13:20     #342
pxpx

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11119562

Quote:
Move over Georgie Pie - Australian chain Pie Face has crossed the Tasman and its Kiwi master franchise holders have a bullish plan to establish 60 stores in this country over the next 10 years.

The first New Zealand Pie Face outlet, which offers both dine-in and takeaway, opened on central Auckland's Shortland St at the weekend and from Wednesday to Saturday will operate 24 hours a day to cater for both central city workers and the late-night party crowd.
Old 5th September 2013, 15:57     #343
Dweeb

So I've been living in Sydney now for just under a year and the lack of good pies in this country (that I have seen) is appalling. At least back in NZ you could go to a bakery and get a decent pie with good flaky pastry in most suburbs of Auckland and NZ.

Went to Pie Face to try a pie and it is a shit version of Jesters. I never really got into the Jesters pies that much either. Reckon these clowns have a year tops in NZ as our Aussie counterparts just don't have the same amount of pie discrimination as we do back home.
Old 5th September 2013, 16:00     #344
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

I think Jesters are pretty shit so Pie Face.. won't be rushing myself to try.
Old 5th September 2013, 16:00     #345
xor

This will totally fail.
Old 5th September 2013, 16:14     #346
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
This will totally fail.
counterpoint: asians fucking love pieface
Old 5th September 2013, 16:19     #347
CCS
Stunt Pants

Counter-counterpoint: asians fucking hate pie's face.

HAAAIIIIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 5th September 2013, 16:23     #348
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Counter-counterpoint: asians fucking hate pie's face.

HAAAIIIIYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 5th September 2013, 17:59     #349
CCS
Stunt Pants

Old 6th September 2013, 19:51     #350
MadMax
Stuff

Yellow flakey crust, can only be ...

Yarrows pie (baked locally) ftw
Old 25th April 2014, 16:19     #351
The Edge

I had Pie Face today and thought it was okay. The mushroom and chicken tasted pretty good IMO. Pastry a little bit too flakey for my liking though.

Last edited by The Edge : 25th April 2014 at 16:22.
Old 22nd July 2014, 13:11     #352
CCS
Stunt Pants

So...

I thought I'd give the GP a second chance. Was the first one just a one-off shitty pie? I'm a fair guy. Maybe they've gotten better at pie making.

I had another GP today.

Verdict: still shit.

Possibly even worse than before. Fuck all filling and the bulk of that filling is gravy. The pieces of mince seem even smaller. They're practically granules of meat floating in gravy. The taste was poor. At $4.50, this is bullshit. Tried it twice and it sucked both times. Never again.

I've also tried these Pie Face pies that p01s0n is in love with. Maybe they make them much better in Aus, cos these Pie Face pies are pretty fucking average. I'd much rather have them over a Georgie Pie, but they're still fucking average compared to a bakery pie. Small pies, cost too much for what you get.

Gimme my fucken golf ball of fat from the bakery any day,
Old 22nd July 2014, 14:02     #353
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
So...

I thought I'd give the GP a second chance. Was the first one just a one-off shitty pie? I'm a fair guy. Maybe they've gotten better at pie making.

I had another GP today.

Verdict: still shit.

Possibly even worse than before. Fuck all filling and the bulk of that filling is gravy. The pieces of mince seem even smaller. They're practically granules of meat floating in gravy. The taste was poor. At $4.50, this is bullshit. Tried it twice and it sucked both times. Never again.

I've also tried these Pie Face pies that p01s0n is in love with. Maybe they make them much better in Aus, cos these Pie Face pies are pretty fucking average. I'd much rather have them over a Georgie Pie, but they're still fucking average compared to a bakery pie. Small pies, cost too much for what you get.

Gimme my fucken golf ball of fat from the bakery any day,
For $1, they would be ok. For $4.50, you could buy one just to throw it back at the person who served it. Would definitely be more satisfying. Then from there you could drive to Hillpark Bakery to buy a REAL pie
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:08     #354
chubby

ccs.
i can totally respect your shit on pies though.
GP wont improve,as it shouldn't,as it was always a cheap pie.that is what it is.
good review.

regarding pieface... no,they dont do it better over there.grossly over-rated in a kiwi context.the aussie pie as a whole is shit,until you get to about 15 bucks,and by then....well-i would fucking think so.
Old 22nd July 2014, 20:36     #355
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
ccs.
i can totally respect your shit on pies though.
GP wont improve,as it shouldn't,as it was always a cheap pie.that is what it is.
good review.

regarding pieface... no,they dont do it better over there.grossly over-rated in a kiwi context.the aussie pie as a whole is shit,until you get to about 15 bucks,and by then....well-i would fucking think so.
Yep, Pieface is the MacDonalds of pies here. There are a couple of very key spots (in QLD) where you can pick up a decent pie for between $3.50 and $6.00. Only two of those are within an hour's drive of Brisbane though

Regardless, they still have nothing on the average Kiwi pie.
Old 22nd July 2014, 21:57     #356
madmaxii

Have been pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pies at BP service stations. Thai Chilli Chicken is great at $4.50 and full of real chicken without too much gravy. A+
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:43     #357
mpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
For $1, they would be ok. For $4.50, you could buy one just to throw it back at the person who served it. Would definitely be more satisfying. Then from there you could drive to Hillpark Bakery to buy a REAL pie
I GREW UP ON HILLPARK BAKERY PIES.

They are so fucking good. I haven't lived in Hill Park for 6 years now, but when I go back to visit my folks who also live in Hill Park I always get a pie, and they still remember me! "You ride still? We don't see bike!" "I moved to West Auckland." "Nooooooo we miss you!" "!!!!!!!"
Old 23rd July 2014, 10:46     #358
Savage

Both myself and an old flatmate of mine used to flat on Rothery Rd, and then on Collie St, and both worked in Mt Wellington. Frequent lunch time excursions used to consist of racing each other home on the motorway to get to Hillpark Bakery for a pie, and a Mountaindew, then home for some Tekken before racing back to Mt Wellington again. Good times :P

No visit back to South Auckland is complete without a Hillpark Bakery pie!
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:50     #359
xor

Those were some good times!
Old 23rd July 2014, 17:20     #360
curses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Yep, Pieface is the MacDonalds of pies here. There are a couple of very key spots (in QLD) where you can pick up a decent pie for between $3.50 and $6.00. Only two of those are within an hour's drive of Brisbane though

Regardless, they still have nothing on the average Kiwi pie.
Aw yeah Yatala Pie shop Curry Pie. Where's the other spot?