BOYD, yep, I'm still an avid reader

Old 25th October 1999, 22:36     #122
OdditY
Bad Hacker, No Biscuit

Me too... i sure hope the guy gets his dumbass fired

Old 26th October 1999, 15:34     #123
Gekko

SHOT!

Hey you should post it on a new thread to stop me frkin downing this page over and over.......just an idea

Old 26th October 1999, 15:49     #124
wugambino@work

wee what a good read haha

First and formost good on ya byod , our friend mike obviuosly thought by swinging his appendage around he could make you pay.

Good on ya for sticking it out count that as 1 aginst the man *shh he may be listing *

Old 26th October 1999, 16:02     #125
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Yeah - new thread wouldn't be a BAD idea :-)

Old 26th October 1999, 16:29     #126
Bringoutyerdead

I'm already one step ahead of you guys... I'll start a new thread the second I have some news

Car wasn't done today grrr... but I will sit down to write that letter anyhow And yer I'll start that thread heh

Old 26th October 1999, 16:32     #127
Bringoutyerdead

18/f Drivers- Proudly Sponsored by Visa (tm)

"It's everywhere you wanna be"

Ok, er.. new thread time. Sorry for making you guys d/l that other thread all the time. This oughta fix it

Not that there's likely to be much news now... I'll get to work on that complaint letter and maybe that'll get some results.

In the meantime, it's Tuesday- the panelbeaters said Tuesday... grrrr *twitch*

Old 26th October 1999, 21:45     #128
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

This is the biggest NZGAMES.COM thread of all time.

Old 26th October 1999, 23:29     #129
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This thread, while entertaining, is getting a bit long. BOYD has started a new thread to keep you all informed:

http://www.nzgames.com/discuss/ubb/F...ML/000573.html

---

Update Ab -- over three years later, I've merged Boyd's two threads together for continuity what used to be the second thread continues with Boyd's post entitled "18/f Drivers- Proudly Sponsored by Visa (tm)" a couple of posts above this -- there was a slight overlap in the post times.

Old 26th October 1999, 23:30     #130
Bringoutyerdead

Surely there are threads in the TF forum that are longer? One of those 'spam to beat the open forum' topics maybe?

Anyway, I made a superduper new forum and hopefully I'll have something to put on it... if not just ignore it

Old 26th October 1999, 23:34     #131
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Boyd, if your Dad is supporting you on this (and it sounds like he is, good on him) don't send off the complaint letter without advice from Russell Mcveigh. Daddy Mike and his idiot accomplice^H^H^H^H^Hworkmate deserve prosecution for what they tried on you, and you need to ensure that you do everything By The Book.

You deserve a lot of credit for the way you appear to have handled yourself through this matter. Good on you for not backing down.

Keep us all informed!

Uncle Ab

Old 27th October 1999, 15:48     #132
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Yup, BOYD, I have to agree with Ab (as hard as that can be )
Do it by The Book and you'll win - do leave a loophole for them to squeeze thru....

Congrats on handling so well so far... 'on ya!

Old 27th October 1999, 17:04     #133
OLL

BOYD, you've got a lot of support from the gaming community, and with good reason. Good on yer

And I'm going to be a complete sheep and say I agree with Ab too; use the system to get the bastards.

Old 27th October 1999, 17:53     #134
Bringoutyerdead

Ok, my old man is insisting on writing it... he's good friends with the people at R/McV so I'm sure it'll be done right. He says next week (*ugh*).

Still, got my car back today, shined up like a new penny Now I can try and get my $100 back from the Disputes Court, fat chance eh? *sigh*

The moral of this story is quite simple- chances are that people you encounter on the street (or road heh) are gonna be complete arseholes, and will take every chance to screw you over; regardless of whose fault the mistake may be.

I shouldn't *have* to watch for people reversing along carriageways without looking, but now I do. Just like you gotta watch for people changing lanes while you're in the way, or watch for people running a red while you're *on* the intersection, or how you need to watch for people who are turning right without indicating...

It sucks driving in NZ. Just assume that everyone out there is as stupid as Hayley, and you should be ok.

Old 27th October 1999, 20:03     #135
Morpheus

BOYD, driving in NZ is much safer than driving in some of the asian countries. Trust me

Old 27th October 1999, 21:14     #136
TyphooN

On the subject of buying a mail order vietnamese bride, having my evil way with her and then getting her to do the dishes, in the herald today there was an article on a guy, Bruce Glover is his name, who cheated death a drunk driver hit his car in Auckland. He suffered a smashed knee, elbow and shoulder, and broken arms. Now, 2 months later, he was out driving for the first time, when a driver ran a red light and smashed his car, doing $1500 worth of damage. He got it fixed, alarm fitted etc, until it got stolen last night (Tuesday 26), along with loads of his gears.

Go New Zealand, do us proud.

Old 28th October 1999, 08:15     #137
LordP

BOYD - Agreed, driving in NZ isn't too hot if you don't watch everywhere. A couple of months back I got hit from behind, by a dude who wasn't paying attention (thankfully, he was honest about it all, and got the insurance claim sorted out straight away). But now, everytime I stop on the road, I instinctively look in the mirror in case someone else isn't paying attention either.

Old 28th October 1999, 18:02     #138
Moo
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Typhoon

Old 28th October 1999, 19:59     #139
Juju
get to da choppa

Hehe... I've always looked in my mirrors instinctivly whenever i brake...

It's funny, I've been driving Jodi's (and my..) car for a few years now, never had an accident or even been close to one.
Got myself a Cordia with a towbar a few months ago, and had 2 accidents and 1 very near miss.
Both the accidents were minor nor my fault...got rear ended both times.
First time, maybe 5kmh... got scratch on towbar he got dent in bumber, no details swapped as the guy just drove alongside,said "are you ok?" then drove off.
2nd one was last week, during which my gearbox was in the process of self destructing.
Coming out of a gas station (what is it with gas stations?! , in first gear, gearbox locked up thus stopping the car in a huge hurry, and with an almighty thunk i got rear ended...I honeslty thought my bumber would be fully dislodged and perhaps tail/head lights broken.
Get out of the car, look at the back, and what do i see? A scratch on the towbar !
He got a dented number plate, so we didnt saw details as there was no damage...
So yea, if possible, get a towbar when buying a car, they do a world of good.
(funny thing is i've never used the towbar to actually tow something)
Sorry...blabbering on..

Go hard boyd.

Old 28th October 1999, 21:07     #140
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Regarding driving in NZ... it does have to be said..... "Shouldn't it be 'Driving in Auckland'?"

PLus, any professional defenseive driving course will teach you that look out for yourself, AND, everyone else. (I had to do one thru work a couple of years ago)
<ul>[*]look for potential hazards.. kids about to run out onto the road, pedrestrains, backing cars etc[*]2 second rule - yeah standard stuff, but if some prick behind you is too close, then make your gap, 4 seconds, so to give the tailgater time to stop too[*]about to brake (intersection or what have you) then look in the rear vision mirror for Mr Arsehole[*](one for you BOYD) so its illegal to back down the carriageway? Still look for Ms. Prick[*] green doesn't necessarily make right-of-way eg
<ul>[*]arseholes running a red[*]emergency vehicles[/list][*]basically, look for things that could go wrong, cause then you'll be ready for them when they do.[/list]
The guy taking it was a bit of a plonker, but he did make good points which I still think about today. (He also made some redundant comments about driving an automatic, which was a waste of time for me )

Old 28th October 1999, 21:13     #141
Spink

Even though I've only got my learners I've experienced a few mishaps.

I was sitting in a car in a parallel park when some old hooch drove into the back of our car I'm sure the rear wheels lifted off the ground. oh well it makes the Number plate less readable for speeding tickets our Number plates have taken a few serious beatings from people who cant park.
How do these people pass the test?

Although perhaps my biggest problem in a car was when I was lie 3 or 4 and decided to try and take the car for a spin and drove it into the fence The wonders never cease oh well hated that Honda City anyway

Old 28th October 1999, 21:34     #142
ZoSo

Add Motorcycling to the mix and it's chaos.
You think you guys have to watch out?

Old 28th October 1999, 23:14     #143
Bringoutyerdead

This one is gonna be meaningless to you Wellies out there, but in Auckland- there is an intersection that I worry about sometimes.

When you head along Fanshawe St. towards downtown, pass the Downtown Parking building and approach that intersection with Albert St. (where the DFS Galleria is), you *cannot* see traffic to your right, thanks to the great big wall there.

It's a personal jitter of mine that one day I'm gonna go across there and someone is gonna run a red down Albert very fast and hit my car.

I won't see it coming, it's not possible.

Some roading in NZ is pretty suspicious...

Old 29th October 1999, 08:11     #144
Erazhure

havnt had no crashes,(3 years driving) but my mum hit me pretty hard when i went to brake, my big foot hit the side of the accelrator and smacked the front of the FORD into a concrete wall tho..
ahh.. that was funny
oh, and ive taken our fromt fence outa the ground. that ruled!!
backing the trailor out anbd again wiht the big feet (fucking 16's!! ARGHH!!) slip, VRRROOOOOOOMMM, BANG!!! Thud! *silence*
"............JAAADDDDDYYYNNN!!!!!!!!"
"Uh-oh"
the whole fence, outa the ground
with the letter box in bits..
haha.. mum didnt hit me this time tho.. im bigger than her!

ahh;... memories

Old 29th October 1999, 08:28     #145
TnT

In line with ZoSo's comment, I think ALL people who want to drive should either take a defensive driving course as a mandatory prerequisite to sitting the test or ride a motorcycle for 6 months. Riding a motorbike really opens your eyes up to how idiotic people in cars can be. You have to watch everything, every intersection is potentially lethal. It is quite amazing how blind people people can become when they get behind the wheel. New Zealand drivers, (sorry Rince I totally disagree with you, its New Zealand drivers, not just Aucklanders, I'm from Auckland and the most terrified I've ever been in a car was going from Lower Hutt to Wellington airport in rush hour traffic, being driven there by a local, he was a lunatic, and he was fitting right in with the rest of the drivers), are among the worst in the world, why do you think we have so many Car Wrecking yards? I am constantly reminded of that Goofy cartoon where he is a mild mannered guy then gets behind the wheel of his car and turns into a psychopath. We are too agressive and territorial in our driving.

Old 29th October 1999, 12:31     #146
Splat

I have noticed that when driving Sunday to Thursday i can quiet easily pull up next to another car, look at the driver, and then glance away again, without worrying what s/he may be thinking. As soon as it hits friday night, i pull upto someone at the lights, and automatically they think i want to drag them....gzzzzzz hate that, only cause i have a slow car though . But have you also noticed that when you pull upto lights and there is a car on the other side and you are at the front, that if you stop before the front (nose) of their car they don't really care, but if you stop next to them, they take it that you are wanting a go, or if you stop infront of them, they think that you are more, better than what they are so they move up to get even with you. I have noticed this at lights...anybody else?

Old 29th October 1999, 15:58     #147
Bringoutyerdead

I've taken one of the defensive driving courses, which is why I was able to get my full licence early.

I'm always watching traffic for at least 100 yards ahead of me, and I always know what's behind me.

On the motorway you also need to know just who's to your left and right.

But when this happened, there was no way I could see her reverse lights... the rear of her car was practically at a right angle to the front of mine, there are just some things you can't see.

Although I'll definitely anticipate it now

Old 31st October 1999, 04:44     #148
Morpheus

Don't forget to look at the way you're turning, instead of looking at the car in front, worrying that some guys will reverse .. hehe just a reminder eh.. hehehe

Old 31st October 1999, 11:22     #149
Heresy
yawn.

Yeh I took a defensive driving course in order to get my full license before the new licensing laws came into effect. I find it quite helpful, mainly for the 'searching up ahead' aspect that was taught.. like when theres some bus parked up around the corner and you can barely see it so you change lanes and everyone else in front of you is just looking straight ahead and not searching and then they end up getting stuck behind this bus and having to wait while you drive past and laugh.. :-)

Old 31st October 1999, 12:09     #150
Juju
get to da choppa

I have a habit of carefully watching cars turning onto the road i am from a side road...and i always think "no, you're not going to go are you?"... but a couple of times they have.
I remember coming along tamaki drive, heading towards the city, in mums honda city, and a taxi wanted to turn right coming out of a sideroad on my left. I saw him from miles away, but he like looked at me, so i thought he saw me.. so i didnt slow down or anything. But no, he didn't see me (or he did, and was suicidal ).. pulls out, full on lock all wheels doing 4 wheel drift styles. Stop with like a meter to spare. Damn packed myself.

Moral of the story?
Never assume.

Old 31st October 1999, 14:00     #151
Bringoutyerdead

I disagree

Assume at *all* times. Just assume that everyone else is gonna do something crazy.

As for the bus thing Heresy love it heh. That happens to me quite a lot too eh lol, you live on the Shore at all? The only example I can think of is driving past Westlake Girls' at 3-4 in the afternoon and watching everyone else get angry behind the bus

Old 2nd November 1999, 10:29     #152
Heresy
yawn.

Nope, I'm over the bridge in Mt Albert. Yeh driving past schools sucks, too many kids and cars and all those other things you have to watch out for :P

Old 2nd November 1999, 10:42     #153
Splat

Juju: wheres the pulse breaking
you would have stoped in plenty of time...are the defense driving days

Old 2nd November 1999, 12:41     #154
Bringoutyerdead

Ok, I thought this whole circus was overwith.

I was wrong.

My car was fixed and paid (by NZI) over a week ago, I thought that side of it was done. We were about to send a complaint to the NZ Insurance Council, and I get this in the mail...

It's from Graham Edwards (Team Manager- NZI)

Reads as follows:

-----

I refer to my letter dated 18 October.

I regret to inform you that our Insured now wishes to make a counter claim and this being the case I must inform you that our stance on liability is hereby held in abeyance.

I apologise for changing our stance, however, our Insured is adamant that she was not at fault and I do not wish to prejudice her claim for damages.

The matter will no doubt go back to Court and I will comply with the Referee's decision.

I can understand that you will be unhappy with this decision, and if you wish to discuss please call me.

In the meantime, your vehicle has been assessed and repair costs have been agreed, in principle, at $894.37.

Kind Regards.

-----

(First things first: there is no letter of 18/10/1999)

Well well well. It looks as though some people just don't give up. Exactly how she can say she isn't at fault is beyond me. We have both explained (AFAIK) the same version of events to NZI and they decided she was at fault.

Clearly they are just being belligerent.

I can't imagine what their logic could be... "yeah we know we're at fault, but do it anyway- we really wanna get 'em". It's all I can come up with.

Oh well, back to court we go- and now the gloves are *off*.

Old 2nd November 1999, 13:23     #155
Dornak

Good luck BOYD

The idiots just don't know when to stop. Hope ya learn em real good.

If the court admits public let us know and we'll come and lend some support.

Old 2nd November 1999, 14:01     #156
MadLep

Sure that the letter is from NZI? Might be another dirty trick.

Either way, another chapter in this interesting saga. Damn, you should make a movie about this.

Old 2nd November 1999, 14:14     #157
Bringoutyerdead

The letter is on NZI letterhead, it's genuine.

What I'll bet has happened is that NZI has sent the $900 bill to Mr. O'Neill, and Mike has decided he doesn't want to pay it.

What a loser eh?

Anyway, I'm gonna start making a few calls now... I'll keep you posted

Old 2nd November 1999, 14:30     #158
Bringoutyerdead

Oh and the letter starts off as "Dear Jamie"
I mean, what's that all about? lol

Old 2nd November 1999, 14:45     #159
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

It could be funnier....
The letter should have started ... "Dear BOYD"

Know any good screen playwrights? Its too good to let it go to waste when its finally all over

Old 2nd November 1999, 16:09     #160
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Speaking of sausages.....

Who ACTUALLY read the Road Code to get their license?

Who just winged it? (eg Me)