User Name
Password

Old 13th August 2022, 15:47     #1081
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

ETH 2010 BTC 24,850
Old 13th August 2022, 15:59     #1082
Lightspeed

So far the pattern has been Ethereum starts to jump against Bitcoin, which gets Bitcoin in the news, which gets people buying Bitcoin, which results in a rally against Ethereum.
Old 13th August 2022, 19:16     #1083
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well ETH’s up 96% in the past 30 days and BTC is up about 26%. Institutional investors? I wonder if the momentum will continue post-Merge.
Old 14th August 2022, 09:33     #1084
Ajax
Architeuthis

The hot new thing is dusting the wallets of one's enemies with unsolicited Tornado Cash-tainted eth, to get said wallets frozen. The future of finance is permissionless.
Old 14th August 2022, 11:32     #1085
Ajax
Architeuthis

^^Oops wrong forum

(Edit: moved - Ab)
Old 21st August 2022, 07:20     #1086
Ajax
Architeuthis

Wacked

PoW: burn the world

PoS: plutocracy
Old 28th August 2022, 01:36     #1087
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

We're at $1500 ETH. Does anyone want to place a bet?

Will we see 2000 ETH before we see 1000 ETH?

It's in your favour.... you've got "momentum" and "institutional investors" on your side. I've only got cynicism and reality. Your gods have money to manipulate the market - mine only have soul crushing reality.

If you want to put money on it, I'll play the game. I don't care. I ask 0.1 ETH ($100 @ 1000) if I'm right, or I'll give you 0.05 ETH ($100 @ $2000 ETH) if you're right.

It's only fun for me, I wanna see people wiped out.

Max 3 players. I don't wanna put my entire balls in a vice. Post the transaction or be a man in a dress.
Old 28th August 2022, 10:19     #1088
Lightspeed

It's cute when toddlers walk around yelling "I am great". It's sad when adults do it, short them actually being at the end of some great achievement.
Old 28th August 2022, 22:03     #1089
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Good time to be buying, and I am.
Old 29th August 2022, 11:39     #1090
Know me.

Outside of the merge event pumping it up I think the price will drop over the next couple of weeks until the 13th Sep CPI release. If its a bad number it will break $1000.
Old 7th September 2022, 09:25     #1091
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Maybe we should have been betting on BTC’s movements - it’s very soft right now.
Old 7th September 2022, 13:51     #1092
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Was soft when you posted, it's beginning to melt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
BTC Prediction: Will sit in the 18-19K range, with 16K as absolute bottom.
I think sub 16k is a definite by the end of [this] year [of our Lord 2022]. If you doubt that and think it can't/won't go that low, I'll play. Or make your own prediction and I'll see whether I'll take the opposite view.
Old 7th September 2022, 14:40     #1093
Ajax
Architeuthis

I predict BTC dropping under 10K.
Old 7th September 2022, 16:29     #1094
Lightspeed

Why now?
Old 7th September 2022, 17:27     #1095
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

ETH's holding its own today, hovering around 1550-1600 last time I looked.
Old 10th September 2022, 13:57     #1096
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Can’t stop, won’t stop

https://decrypt.co/109410/microstrat...n-more-bitcoin
Old 11th September 2022, 12:29     #1097
Lightspeed

Boing-boing!
Old 15th September 2022, 10:00     #1098
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Approx 8 hours until the Ethereum merge! (so ~6:30pm NZ)

Google has a countdown if you use the term "ethereum merge"

Should be interesting... my cards are still mining (mainly for heat), so I'll be keeping an eye on what happens on Nicehash and what other chains/algos get mined instead.

If miners don't get "free money" from mining ETH, is there even [popular] incentive for the price to go up? Wouldn't it be better that the price comes down so that dApps/gas fees are cheaper? Assuming $1M ETH would be restrictive and expensive (bad), would $1 ETH be good?
Old 15th September 2022, 18:02     #1099
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Pandas!

What an anti-climax.
Old 15th September 2022, 19:32     #1100
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Something that important, anticlimax IS a climax. GG those nerds.
Old 15th September 2022, 20:15     #1101
blynk

If bitcoin got to US$1 all those years ago and stuck approximately with the rate of inflation, do you think Crypto would actually be more widely used as a proper currency right now rather than a ponzi scheme/investment
Old 16th September 2022, 15:07     #1102
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It would never happen, because the amount of money in the world always increases and the amount of potentially-available bitcoin in the world always decreases.

It is mathematically impossible for the amount of bitcoin in existence to exceed 21 million BTC. Every time someone forgets their password, or loses their keys, or disappears Satoshi-style, the number of bitcoins available to the rest of us decreases.

Compare with, say, the US Dollar - there are always more of them. Hell, most of the US dollars that have ever existed came into existence within the past 2 years.

If both things are considered desirable, the value of the finite thing is never going to correlate with the value of the infinite thing.
Old 16th September 2022, 15:20     #1103
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
What an anti-climax.
Were many people mining ETH? I presume they're now looking for alternative mining operations after having ETH mining become useless overnight.
Old 17th September 2022, 08:32     #1104
blynk

dropped approx 50%-75% after the merge.

The only way back to profits in the shorter term will be people stopping their mining, allowing for more room.
Or ETH crashes and another unicorn coin comes along and fills the 2nd place with POW
Old 17th September 2022, 18:38     #1105
crocos

US Govt looking at "becoming a crypto currency leader" by releasing a pile of guidelines that regulation is inevitably going to emerge from and rumour suggests they're looking at creating a US crypto currency

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 17th September 2022, 19:36     #1106
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Not just a rumour. It's Project Hamilton, being done by Boston Fed + MIT.

Code on Github even: https://github.com/mit-dci/opencbdc-tx

From a news article yesterday:
Quote:
According to the Atlantic Council nonpartisan think tank, 105 countries representing more than 95% of global gross domestic product already are exploring or have created a central bank digital currency. The council found that the U.S. and the U.K. are far behind in creating a digital dollar or its equivalent.
Old 18th September 2022, 10:28     #1107
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
It is mathematically impossible for the amount of bitcoin in existence to exceed 21 million BTC. Every time someone forgets their password, or loses their keys, or disappears Satoshi-style, the number of bitcoins available to the rest of us decreases.
It would take a hard fork but definitely possible to increase the supply by consensus. Consider that the original version of the Eth mainnet is actually Ethereum Classic.

Last edited by Ajax : 18th September 2022 at 10:30.
Old 18th September 2022, 12:03     #1108
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

true. I should have said "according to Bitcoin's current code it is mathematically impossible..."
Old 18th September 2022, 13:52     #1109
Lightspeed

Does it even matter? It's not like a whole bitcoin has any particular properties about it, does it?
Old 18th September 2022, 15:35     #1110
Ajax
Architeuthis

Nah it doesn't matter at all, except to people who perceive a cachet in owning a whole one.
Old 18th September 2022, 23:51     #1111
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

But owning a half, or a fifth, or a twentieth, of a bitcoin is a good choice if the alternative is owning a half, or a fifth, or a twentieth, of something of which there is an infinite supply.

If you're playing D2 on Bnet, what's more valuable - a stash full of gold, or a SoJ?
Old 19th September 2022, 15:57     #1112
Know me.

Bitcoin is not useful as a currency because of its transaction times.
Old 19th September 2022, 16:08     #1113
Lightspeed

It's more kind of a currency tool. Some make some use of it. However I wonder if the utility only seems favourable because they haven't yet encountered the risks users are exposing themselves to.

Bitcoin has some life to it yet, but I think it only survives if it somehow becomes integral to emerging infrastructure (rather than just accommodated).
Old 19th September 2022, 16:13     #1114
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Bitcoin isn't that useful, but that doesn't mean it isn't valuable.

Ethereum, on the other hand, is starting to make moves towards being useful. I don't think it will really begin delivering on its promise until it deals with the problems of

1. energy consumption
2. transaction speeds
3. transaction costs (gas fees)

One down.
Old 19th September 2022, 16:27     #1115
Lightspeed

This is pretty much the current state of 2 & 3:

The different types of ZK-EVMs

Quote:
The core goal of all of these projects is the same: to use ZK-SNARK technology to make cryptographic proofs of execution of Ethereum-like transactions, either to make it much easier to verify the Ethereum chain itself or to build ZK-rollups that are (close to) equivalent to what Ethereum provides but are much more scalable. But there are subtle differences between these projects, and what tradeoffs they are making between practicality and speed. This post will attempt to describe a taxonomy of different "types" of EVM equivalence, and what are the benefits and costs of trying to achieve each type.
Some crazy sophisticated work is going on right now. A growing volume of smart, motivated people who believe in what they're doing.
Old 19th September 2022, 16:47     #1116
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

1.3k!

Figure out your exit price, or go down with the ship. We are definitely going lower, no doubt about it. If you're a true believer, sell now and buy back in.
Old 19th September 2022, 16:53     #1117
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Ethereum, on the other hand, is starting to make moves towards being useful. I don't think it will really begin delivering on its promise until it deals with the problems of

1. energy consumption
2. transaction speeds
3. transaction costs (gas fees)

One down.
4. Having a use case that people can understand and apply - without fear that they'll make a mistake and find their funds are gone and can't be reversed.

That's the advantage of using a credit card. You pay a small amount, so that you have protection. Crypto is zero protection, and you also pay a small amount for the privilege of dealing with someone you don't trust and can't identify or get compensation through the legal system.
Old 19th September 2022, 16:56     #1118
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Michael Saylor (his public wallet at least) has only ever bought Bitcoin twice (the first two times) at a price lower than it is now. That means every single other time he bought Bitcoin, he lost money.

In total, he is down $1.5B

What a legend. Ultimate sucker.
Old 19th September 2022, 17:26     #1119
Lightspeed

Currency is one niche. Legitimacy and verification is going to be another major use case.

The most likely scenario is the infrastructure will become implemented without most people specifically realising it.

One hypothetical scenario for example is a super-light EVM that can run on basically nothing in every device where you want to be able to prove that specific hardware made a recording at the time stated, and whatever other meta-data you want to be able to assert. For instance your dash cam footage and GPS data. Or the photos you took before you handed over possession of a property.

People won't know about blockchain or Ethereum or EVMs. What they'll know is they can rest easy knowing they've done everything above board as demonstrated by this system that everyone takes seriously. Just a part of one more app used to manage affairs.
Old 19th September 2022, 17:53     #1120
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That's where I think this is going. Ownership, verifiability. Buying stuff is just a tiny part of it.