This game is fucking insane.
Old 10th October 2017, 08:57     #2
chiQ
Frag-muff

Yep.
Old 10th October 2017, 13:47     #3
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I have been playing since early July, I haven't yet set foot in Hyrule Castle, and I feel like I've seen about half of the world.
Old 11th October 2017, 08:23     #4
Jodi

I'm not part of the nintendo cohort, but just looking at all the howtos and explinations on how the game was made (via my gamedev network), it looks awesome.
Old 11th October 2017, 17:30     #5
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It FEELS like an infinite world, although (having hit the boundary in every edge zone) I know it's not. But there's an amazing feeling of "if I can see it, I can get to it" that even infinite world games don't have because of render-distance tradeoffs.

BotW really is a fucking head trip and it's the most amazing game experience I've had in years.
Old 17th October 2017, 06:56     #6
Blizzard

This is in a box in our wardrobe, along with a Switch, Mario Kart 8 - and soon to be Mario Odyssey...awaiting my boys 10th Birthday next month.

It's been a personal challenge to not sneak in there and start it up haha.

He will eventually have to sleep once it's out though
Old 17th October 2017, 14:10     #7
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That's how it entered our household

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOY, A SWITCH AND BREATH OF THE WILD, NOW OFF TO BED
Old 23rd October 2017, 15:03     #8
Blizzard

Lol...we were at friends yesterday and the kids tried some Mario Kart 8 on the WiiU for the first time, they loved it - looking forward to next month when we can finally get it out (got the little wheels you put the controllers in for gyro steering which should help my 7yr daughter, and her mum as well probably if we can get her playing!).

SMO hype is also building with some shit hot reviews, though I believe it's been leaked already so staying away from YouTube where a lot of spoilers are coming out already :/
Old 16th November 2017, 20:41     #9
Blizzard

Ok, so his birthday is this Sunday (finally!)...and I'm about 15hrs into Zelda now lol, opps! It's all the name of QA testing, and as it turns out we possibly have a faulty right controller battery (goes flat quickly), but there's too much at stake this weekend (e.g. 4 player Mario) to send it away for a replacement just yet.

Anyway, Zelda...wow, I haven't felt this way about a game since probably OOT (which I never finished, /shame) and my initial feelings playing WoW (and DaoC to a lesser extent) for the first time. It's just the sheer vastness of the world, how 'alive' it all feels, and the desire to just go out there an explore and adventure. I never thought I'd feel that way in a SP game again, even trying games with far 'superior gfx' like the Witcher (3) or GTA didn't make me feel this way.

I'm playing only in handheld at the moment, but am keen to see how it looks when we hook it up to the TV on Sunday finally. And I will continue mostly playing handheld as it's realistically the only way I've managed to play so much now - the instant start up back into the game and off I go. As a husband and dad, I just don't have the time to get downstairs to the main entertainment room, boot up the PS4 and sound system etc. With the switch I'm gaming almost instantly.

I can't wait to see his reaction, he's seen a quick demo over my shoulder but I want to see him starting his own game for the first time and the wonder in eyes.

Last edited by Blizzard : 16th November 2017 at 20:44.
Old 28th November 2017, 18:25     #10
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

How are you Switch users finding the battery life?
Old 28th November 2017, 18:46     #11
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I rarely play undocked so NFI.
Old 1st December 2017, 08:29     #12
Madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
I'm not part of the nintendo cohort, but just looking at all the howtos and explinations on how the game was made (via my gamedev network), it looks awesome.
Any links? I enjoy reading through gamedev blogs but haven't seen any of these.
Old 1st December 2017, 16:06     #13
Jodi

Lost in my twitter stream unfortunately.

Keep in mind they _hand placed_ EVERYTHING.

Every fucking rock, every hill, maintaining sightlines, doing build up to far away places, its a level of OCD I've never head of for a game design.

But then again, I don't normally follow Japanese game dev, so this might be normal for them.
Old 2nd December 2017, 15:13     #14
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I've been thrashing this game since the start of July and I'm still discovering stuff I didn't know was there. Turn a corner, walk down a path, find a new bunch of monsters and a new NPC and a new side quest. It's fucking insane.

And I haven't even downloaded any of the DLC.
Old 5th January 2018, 13:15     #15
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
How are you Switch users finding the battery life?
Might find out today. Storm had knocked out power all over the show, I think it'll be awhile before it's back up.
Old 7th January 2018, 22:48     #16
Lightspeed

I got about 5 hours of gaming before the battery warning came on. Not bad for quality graphics running at 720p 60fps.
Old 28th January 2018, 00:28     #17
Lightspeed

I got a controller battery warning for the first time today. Freakin' Zelda, I tells ya.

I'm strong enough I can hunt down monsters now, rather than sparingly defending against them. But there's still so much to find and do.
Old 14th May 2023, 20:58     #18
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Tears of the Kingdom in the houuuuuuuuuuuse!
Old 25th January 2024, 15:31     #19
BoyWonder

I'm super late to this party but I don't know why I didn't give this a go sooner. Amazing game. I have a 6 year old who enjoys exploring and solving shrine puzzles and hands it back to me to kill the monsters or get us back on track. It will take us a long time to get to the end of this one before starting Tears of the Kingdom but I don't mind at all
Old 25th January 2024, 16:38     #20
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

That sounds like a great time.
Old 9th March 2024, 10:15     #21
BoyWonder

The shrines in Tears of the Kingdom have quite a, ummm, Goatse vibe to them