Password

Old 4th December 2008, 21:04     #1
lambchop

KillZone 2 embargo is up ...

http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_9616_en.html

oh my god
Old 4th December 2008, 22:29     #2
Anthony.S

I watched too much (too long) R2 gameplay before release I think, kinda spoilt a few surprises. Much as I'd like to watch this I've seen enough to know it's a day 1 purchase.

Very tempted though
Old 4th December 2008, 22:40     #3
lambchop

just watch that one, we've seen that sequence before as they land on the beach ... but yeh, i'm only watching the 1st
Old 5th December 2008, 08:15     #4
Anthony.S

I thought it'd be one of those "first 10 minutes of gameplay" things that seem to be popular atm. Only watched half, but you're right it doesn't really spoil anything. They guy is playing like a tourist so it doesn't really get too deep in.

Looking pretty cool.
Old 5th December 2008, 13:29     #5
IoriDyson

eta?
Old 5th December 2008, 16:03     #6
lambchop

Feb 17th

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/k...6201940&page=2

Quote:
Finally, with this being Killzone 2, we would be remiss if we didn't mention the graphics--or more specifically, how awesome they are. It wouldn't be much of a stretch to say Killzone 2 is the best-looking console game we've seen. The use of lighting is probably the most impressive of the game's technical feats: with so much of the game taking place in demolished urban centers with gray steel, concrete, and asphalt, those moments when you're flushed with color are extremely striking. This might include an orange street lamp, the blue glow of a faulty electrical tower, or the green haze in a sewer tunnel, but the way it all reflects off nearby objects like your gun and character models looks terrific. Add in sharp textures, great smoke and explosion effects, terrific depth of field, and an ominous sky that looks like the world might cave in at any moment and you've got a combination of technical and artistic brilliance that's hard to understate. Best of all: the framerate does a good job of keeping up, with the only noticeable hitches arriving during an autosave between checkpoints.

If you were to nitpick the presentation, most people's attention would probably fall on the audio. While the sound effects and music are both great, the voice acting could give Gears of War's Delta Squad a run for its money in terms of smoldering, manly rage. In fact, it can often be difficult to separate one gruff voice from another when your vision isn't fixed on a squadmate's face. It's not exactly an abrasive fault, but it does stick out when you consider how stellar the rest of the presentation is.

Small gripes aside, we had a thoroughly enjoyable experience with Killzone 2's single-player campaign. The combat is intense, the visual aesthetics are amazing, and the level of difficulty provides a rewarding challenge. It seems that PlayStation 3 owners will have a lot to look forward to when the game is finally released. You can expect that to happen on February 17.
Old 5th December 2008, 16:07     #7
lambchop

http://www.psonly.nl/videos/2289/Kil...tie_(PREVIEW)/
Old 5th December 2008, 16:22     #8
xin

Before I wait 2 days buffer the video on xnet,

is this just another FPS?
Old 5th December 2008, 16:52     #9
TB

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/43388.html

Holyshit, thats a shitload of tech. How the fuck did they get that working on a console.
Old 5th December 2008, 17:14     #10
QWERTY?

well designed console, with a donkey load of power

I can't even imagine what the next-gen on consoles will be capable of
Old 5th December 2008, 17:47     #11
junbeck

Very impressive. PS3 finally flexing its muscles.
Old 6th December 2008, 16:13     #12
lambchop

pretty old build aprently too. just heaing on the ign beyond popdcast, the build they went to see a few weeks ago at gorrillia is significalty more impressive.

this build here runs at a rock solid 30fps and never drops a frame through out the whole 5 lv perview 1up have as well according to their podcast this morn.

and still most of 3 mths left worth of polish!
Old 6th December 2008, 17:20     #13
Anthony.S

Apparently at max load the latest build is only using 60% of the SPU's overall power.

Mind boggling.
Old 7th January 2009, 12:22     #14
Anthony.S

There's been a lot of talk that there won't be a demo pre-release due to the US gamestop preorder deal. Looks like we don't have to worry:

Quote:
SCEA's deal with GameStop doesn't affect those living outside of the US. European gamers will be able to access a pre-release Killzone 2 demo on the PlayStation Store, no strings attached. SCEE didn't provide any specific dates, but told Videogamer.com that the demo will be released in a "normal manner."
Source.

Not that I mind, I'll be buying the game anyway. Makes the wait that little bit shorter though.
Old 14th January 2009, 23:20     #15
Anthony.S

The 'official 360 blog' gives their impressions on a play test of kz2, surprisingly favourable.
Old 15th January 2009, 09:47     #16
]- Volatile -[

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44354.html

Touches on weapons and one we are all intrested in mmmmmmuuuultiplayer!
Old 19th January 2009, 01:14     #17
Anthony.S

Quote:

The Killzone 2 hype train is currently in full swing and with the first few early reviews have been released before the onslaught at the start of Febuary, we at PlayStation Gamer UK have put together a few quotes from reviews and previews which we think will sum up this epic First Person Shooter when it hits store shelfs next month.
“Without a doubt Killzone fans, action, and shooter fans of any stripe will instantly tag this sequel as a powerful contender for the best game of 2009″
PlayStation: The Official Magazine - Killzone 2 review
“We’ll bite the bullet and accept that Killzone 2 has graced the ranks of all-time classics like Half Life and Doom. This game will make you a believer!”
Middle East Gamers - Killzone 2 review
“This is PS3 showing what it is truly capable of and delivering a landmark piece of entertainment you can’t afford to miss”
Official PlayStation Magazine UK - Killzone 2 review
“You’re not playing as a floating gun, hovering around a battlefield, and the feeling that you have actual in-game mass helps to ground the combat even further in the realm of the real.”
Eurogamer -Killzone 2 hands on
“But what’s really clever is the way they react to how you play: for example, lob in a grenade and they’ll run into the open and risk being shot rather than face certain doom when the pineapple explodes in the face. Similarly, rather than pop out of cover at exactly the same point every time, they’ll keep moving around to prevent you from training your sights on one area and blowing their brains out the moment they stand up to take a shot.”
IGN (On Killzone 2’s A.I) - Killzone 2 Preview
“Finally, with this being Killzone 2, we would be remiss if we didn’t mention the graphics–or more specifically, how awesome they are. It wouldn’t be much of a stretch to say Killzone 2 is the best-looking console game we’ve seen.”
GameSpot - Hands on
“Some of the game types are astonishingly clever - one inparticular, once you’ve seen it, makes you wonder how it’s not been in every FPS ever created.”
TheSixthAxis - Killzone 2: First Look
“Killzone 2 is a fantastic game, easily deserving the hype its earned so far.”
Joystiq - Hands On: Killzone 2 Single Player
Make of it what you will

Quote:
"(Killzone 2 is like) Call of Duty set in double-gravity space, directed by Ridley Scott and rendered by God."
OPM UK
Old 19th January 2009, 11:45     #18
]- Volatile -[

LOL,

http://pr0gaming.com/?p=238

In that vid it says that the Multiplayer will search by ping matching
Old 19th January 2009, 12:25     #19
IoriDyson

thank god, i've had some shocking games on consoles.. like soul cal 4. ping all over the place, not cool
Old 19th January 2009, 13:18     #20
BadNova

Rendered by god? Good to see the hype machine is remaining firmly grounded in the realm of the rational
Old 19th January 2009, 13:46     #21
SID|DensitY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNova
Rendered by god? Good to see the hype machine is remaining firmly grounded in the realm of the rational
Old 19th January 2009, 15:20     #22
IoriDyson

to be fair, the gfx do look quite amazing, but meh, as long as the gameplay is up to the gfx level. i remember the first killzone, and it was not that great, so i guess we'll see.

this will be a rent before i buy kinda game
Old 19th January 2009, 22:32     #23
Dazza

The multiplayer modes and clan options are what really stand out. "Warzone" being the default gamemode is great, will be nice to see some solid teamwork in console FPS games for a change.
Old 20th January 2009, 09:24     #24
SID|DensitY

for me, the game needs mouse+keyboard support. if it doesn't (haven't checked), I'll flag it.
Old 20th January 2009, 10:29     #25
Genesis

Quote:
A curse be on your first born for speaking ill of the great KillZone 2.

In all seriousness I don't see what all the hype is about, looks like a pretty generic FPS. Nothing I haven't seen before. That said I'm a sucker for hype so I'll be buying this game ASAP.
Old 20th January 2009, 11:13     #26
[fe]

Could be the haze of '09. Prolly not, but it is hard to get enthused with what they're showing so far. The amount of effects theyre chucking in give me hope for some other games I'm interested in tho.
Old 20th January 2009, 11:48     #27
Kryten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis
That said I'm a sucker for hype so I'll be buying this game ASAP.
What hype? Beyond message board posts and the occasional media preview, Sony have done a completely shithouse job of marketing what should be a key product for them to kick off 2009.

FFS I saw billboards and advertisements on the street for the PSP Ratchet and Clank than I've seen for Killzone 2. Where's the TV ads? Where's the trailers in theatres?
Old 20th January 2009, 12:50     #28
]- Volatile -[

Hes right...what hype?
Old 23rd January 2009, 16:59     #29
Anthony.S

Aus release date 26th Feb.
Old 24th January 2009, 14:38     #30
]- Volatile -[

Pre Ordered, i want....now....plz
Old 24th January 2009, 15:31     #31
IoriDyson

wow, nice intro
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44579.html
Old 3rd February 2009, 08:20     #32
Anthony.S

Demo this week, 2 level (Beach Landing, Warehouse) over 1 area (Corinth River).

Killzone 2 demo hits Euro PSN this Thursday
Old 6th February 2009, 23:08     #33
[fe]

For those with no bandwidth for the demo [me] - Giantbomb's Quicklook.
When you can only show 3 minutes of gameplay you have to get creative
Old 7th February 2009, 11:36     #34
Baal

Am I allowed to say I played through the demo and thought it was pretty average? Looks nice, plays like well, an fps.
Old 7th February 2009, 11:59     #35
Jonas Undrawing

watched darkness playing it last night. they can send a soldier halfway across the galaxy, but they still issue him with a 20th century magazine-fed rifle? Anyway, i thought the depth of field effects were sexy, the map designers are totally ontop of their game, and the scripted sequences were sweet. Thats all i got.
Old 7th February 2009, 12:03     #36
Anthony.S

After LBP that wouldn't surprise me Baal

You should approach gameplanet or something and ask to do their PS3 reviews.
Old 7th February 2009, 13:35     #37
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baal
Am I allowed to say I played through the demo and thought it was pretty average? Looks nice, plays like well, an fps.
This will get my money over RE5, I like my run and gun action..
Old 7th February 2009, 16:21     #38
BadNova

Demo was fun enough, not quite feeling the control scheme though - aiming was a little sluggish, and I like COD-style left-trigger aim right-trigger fire rather than clicking sticks to aim.
Old 7th February 2009, 16:36     #39
Kryten

Quote:
Demo was fun enough, not quite feeling the control scheme though - aiming was a little sluggish, and I like COD-style left-trigger aim right-trigger fire rather than clicking sticks to aim.
But you have to use Sixaxis control to turn valves during firefights! That's INNOVATION right there!
Old 7th February 2009, 16:46     #40
Cyberbob

its like a button for shoot, a button for grenade, a button to duck, a button to jump, and a button to switch weapons. I know what you're saying, "buttons to do actions? that's unpossible" but it's nothing new.

Generic FPS #3221 doesn't stand out from the crowd any more than Resistance 2 did.

Also, 1.2 gig for 4 minutes gameplay? yea, 1.1 gig for the engine, 0.1 gig for the level?

Last edited by Cyberbob : 7th February 2009 at 16:47.