NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 6th May 2021, 15:24     #36321
crocos

Fucking Frozen Shoulder is grinding my gears today. Got some deep tissue massage from the physio yesterday, arm is freaking taking it out on me today.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 7th May 2021, 15:49     #36322
crocos

My brother in law is grinding my gears very hard right now.

Not going to get into detail, but he's cheating with the one of the caterers from their wedding & my sis just found out. I want to remove his fucking nadgers with a rusty ice-cream scoop.

Old 7th May 2021, 16:42     #36323
Lightspeed

Oof, yeah I'd be dark.
Old 8th May 2021, 07:29     #36324
xor

Whoa, that's brutal. So sorry to hear. Did he meet the caterer at his own wedding?
Old 9th May 2021, 11:19     #36325
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Did he meet the caterer at his own wedding?
Frankly I neither know nor care. That fucker betrayed & hurt my sister, I don't give a shit for any "excuses".

Old 14th May 2021, 17:40     #36326
crocos

May has been a pretty shit month for me. NBN are grinding my gears this time: 4 missed techo appointments and meanwhile I have no broadband. 4 appointments, no contact, no case notes in the fault I lodged with my ISP. Also I did receive "appointment confirmed" SMSs from NBN for all 4.

It seems ISPs are pretty toothless with regard to NBN so far - there needs to be three missed appointments before they're allowed to escalate to 2nd level. 2nd level escalation just meant another appointment lodged. That 4th appointment was missed this morning, and allegedly now another (5th) appointment has been made for tomorrow morning, so now I get to fuck up a chunk of my Saturday waiting for a techo that likely won't show up. 8am to 12pm is the "appointment time" - and even that is a suggestion as if you ring after 12 the ISP is instructed to tell people to wait until 1pm "just in case the technician is running late".

ADSL isn't even an option in this apartment building. While a shitty option, it would still be better than NO broadband.

As a work-around, I'm trying to use my phone but my cell keeps dropping Wi-Fi Hot Spotting. Bluetooth tethered hot spot is working fine (which is what I'm using now) but on the client machine that I need to access my client's network, that's not an option - been locked down - so need to use Wi-Fi. So at some point I'm probably going to need a new phone because of this one being dropped too many times. I suppose THAT one is on me, but still annoying.

Old 14th May 2021, 19:51     #36327
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
May has been a pretty shit month for me...
I do consider that this is only a few degrees away from a human rights violation - and I'm not taking this piss.

If you can't hedge dogecoin, WTF?
Old 15th May 2021, 19:19     #36328
Cyberbob

I'm somewhat technical, and I've learnt many software packages over the years. From CS Suite to Solidworks. None of them have prepared me for the newbie unfriendlyness of DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software.

Picked up a midi keyboard to start getting back into creating some EDM, and started to get a feel for what options are out there, initially picking up FL Studio after spending a fair bit of time in Fruityloops in my younger years. Noped out of that after a few hours of frustration.
Currently learning Ableton, which seems a little more friendly than FL Studio for what I want to use it for, but holy shit, it's pretty damn terrible for new users. I'd be absolutely lost if I was just someone musical that wasn't technical but wanted to get into music production. Youtube tutorials are king.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 15th May 2021 at 19:21.
Old 15th May 2021, 20:08     #36329
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Two words, GarageBand
Old 17th May 2021, 00:13     #36330
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Currently learning Ableton
If you intend to pay for your DAW, don't choose Ableton, or your next GMG will be that you paid for the intro version, and got crippleware and will need to spend $900 to get the full version that then becomes outdated once they release a new one.

If you're stealing it, go hard.

I'm biased toward FL because lifetime licence and I grew up with it. Everyone's different though, and I won't insist you drive a Toyota just because I do.
Old 18th May 2021, 13:43     #36331
MadMax
Stuff

Had a treadmill test for heart problems this morning and after sitting down I damn near feinted. Queue two peoples appointments being cancelled due to me taking nearly two hours for my blood pressure to return to normal.

Felt so bad for those two people that had probably like me been waiting many months if not a year for the test.
Old 18th May 2021, 15:46     #36332
StN
I have detailed files

Shave, sandpaper, stick?

Welcome to the club!
Old 19th May 2021, 13:33     #36333
Lightspeed

Bureaucratic cunts:

Christchurch social housing tenant's award-winning vegetable garden ripped up

Quote:
An award-winning vegetable patch at a Christchurch social housing unit has been ripped up – because of concerns about access to a washing line.

Zhang Wang has lovingly tended the garden at her Addington home for the past 10 years, with coriander, radishes and rare Chinese herbs growing in abundance.

However, complaints from some neighbours about the size of the garden prompted the Ōtautahi Community Housing Trust (ŌCHT), which manages property for the city council, to remove it without warning on Monday.

Wang, 80, was shocked to return home to a contractor digging up her little patch of paradise, leaving her a 1-metre strip.
Old 19th May 2021, 14:03     #36334
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Shave, sandpaper, stick?

Welcome to the club!
Yep. I wore a monitor for a week and I was damn near raw despite sticking the pads to a different spot each day
Old 19th May 2021, 14:08     #36335
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
That’s a grinder for sure. You’d think at some point along the fiasco someone would have pulled back and taken a look the whole thing and provided a bit of humanity.
Old 19th May 2021, 15:01     #36336
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
You’d think at some point along the fiasco someone would have pulled back and taken a look the whole thing and provided a bit of humanity.
Unfortunately it's all too easy for people to simply go along with a "ruling". That's how authoritarian dictators get into power - people refusing to think. Why think when someone else has done the thinking for you?

Old 19th May 2021, 15:27     #36337
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Just following orders
Old 19th May 2021, 21:08     #36338
madmaxii

NZ Herald on line Premium. Re-hashing stories from overseas publications which you can just Google, using their headline, and get the story for nada. Case in point:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/who...AUM5I7COXSXKU/
Old 27th May 2021, 13:33     #36339
crocos

FFS. This month hates me.

Yes I'm being selfish, but it's been a year and a half since I've been back to NZ, to see my family.

Melbourne going to a 7-day lockdown from midnight tonight... I fly out in 8 days, but I'm betting that NZ will announce either no-entry (flights cancelled) or 14-day quarantine for everyone coming from Victoria - even those like me that have avoided the hot-spots by basically avoiding everyone.

GAAH!

Old 27th May 2021, 21:48     #36340
fixed_truth

I feel ya. I've been looking forward to some Melbourne fam arriving in 10 days & now it's looks very uncertain.
Old 28th May 2021, 01:19     #36341
crocos

Yeah, my flight is definitely cancelled - I was going to be leaving 09:00 (NZ Time 11:00) on the 4th.

I need to wait and see if I can rebook for Sat/Sun/Mon - after that it's a bit of a joke given my flight back is on the 12th.

Here's hoping no mandatory quarantine for those from Vic, I guess.

Old 28th May 2021, 08:22     #36342
xor

Another reason to move to the sunshine state
Old 28th May 2021, 12:29     #36343
Lightspeed

Sorry crocos:

Morrison Offers Condolences To Victorians Going Into Lockdown: ‘I Know What It’s Like To Do Absolutely Fucking Nothing’
Old 28th May 2021, 14:51     #36344
crocos

Hahahaha, yep saw that one

Old 29th May 2021, 13:52     #36345
crocos

Incompetent NBN techs GMG.

Today's one was fine. The one that showed up a fortnight ago and didn't fix a damn thing though - when the fault was with the NBN box in my apartment which the first guy had full access to - yeah, that guy GMG.

Old 29th May 2021, 23:20     #36346
Savage

Quote:
Had a treadmill test for heart problems this morning and after sitting down I damn near feinted. Queue two peoples appointments being cancelled due to me taking nearly two hours for my blood pressure to return to normal.

Felt so bad for those two people that had probably like me been waiting many months if not a year for the test.
I feel ya buddy; getting old sucks. I got sent to a pathologist for tests following a dangerous BP reading early this week. It got worse at the pathologist (to the point where she wanted to call an ambulance). She called and had a quick chat with my GP who explained I have bad white coat syndrome. ABPM fitted for 24 hours, blood and urine samples taken the next day. Very fortunate to come away with a (nearly) clean bill other than slightly elevated cholesterol and the previously mentioned significant BP. Grade 1 hypertension and a nice shiny new ace inhibitor prescription. Bad family history meant this was inevitable to a degree :/

Hope you're all over it mate.
Old 31st May 2021, 11:26     #36347
crocos

And in another entry from the "Fuck May 2021" files: Qantas has changed my flight this Friday so it's not direct from Victoria to Wellington, instead MEL->SYD->WLG.

However:
Quote:
Anyone who has been in the state of Victoria from 7:59pm (NZT) on 25 May cannot travel to New Zealand from anywhere in Australia until further advised.

Fucked if I know what Qantas are trying to pull here, but no way am I going to even TRY entering NZ until it's legit.

Old 14th June 2021, 13:37     #36348
Lightspeed

$110,000 fine for breaching sensitive land rules

Cause if you want to ignore the law in NZ it will cost you.... not very much. With no other consequences.

(It's a $125k fine plus costs on a $9.4m purchase, the article is only up to our normal standards of journalism.)
Old 18th June 2021, 15:16     #36349
Lightspeed

I ordered this hoping it was American cheese. Nope, just regular processed cheddar coloured orange. Very cheeky calling it "burger" cheese.

There must be some kind of trade restriction. We make it in NZ, but obviously only to supply US fastfood chains.
Old 18th June 2021, 15:17     #36350
Lightspeed

facepalm

Fucking copyright cheese.
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:58     #36351
MadMax
Stuff

I think my job of coming up 15 years in a helpdesk role is making me more and more cynical. Doesn’t help that I’m the type that plays a game of chess with everything where I consider any and all possibilities.
Old 23rd June 2021, 16:55     #36352
crocos

Bastard Operator from Remuera

Apologies to El Reg

Last edited by crocos : 23rd June 2021 at 16:57.
Old 24th June 2021, 08:58     #36353
pxpx

Quote:
I think my job of coming up 15 years in a helpdesk role is making me more and more cynical. Doesn’t help that I’m the type that plays a game of chess with everything where I consider any and all possibilities.
I've never known a non-cynical helpdesk person.
Old 24th June 2021, 10:40     #36354
StN
I have detailed files

If only you could see what they have seen...
Old 24th June 2021, 12:07     #36355
xor

15 years? Why? That would kill me.
Old 24th June 2021, 12:25     #36356
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
If only you could see what they have seen...
Oh yeah, I've done some time in related roles, I don't blame necessarily blame them!
Old 24th June 2021, 16:34     #36357
Lightspeed

I die little any time I see optical media for sale and the bloody disc is outside of its case. Sitting on a desk, carpet, paper, whatever. It's so unnecessary.
Old 28th June 2021, 13:48     #36358
Lightspeed

'Lifting the silence': Twenty students at prestigious Christchurch girls school say they have been raped

What I find so frustrating is everyone acting as if we haven't known for a good century how frequently we rape our children. Every time we discover our kids are being raped it's like it's new and surprising. Yet every avenue of research points to the same conclusion: we rape our kids. If you're doing a community study and an appropriate volume haven't experienced sexual violence, you'd be expected to explain the problems with your sampling.

Check out the school, it's "prestigious", which means that some of the rapists involved are also prestigious or connected to such people. And this is a big part of why we don't look. What if the wrong people are caught out? Well, all of a sudden that investigation starts to face questions from high places, scrutiny, accusations. And so nothing happens, victims are left to suffer, perpetrators continue to enjoy impunity.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 28th June 2021 at 13:49.
Old 28th June 2021, 14:06     #36359
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
15 years? Why? That would kill me.
It’s a glorified position as I do quite a bit more than just answer calls and the employer is great.
Old 28th June 2021, 17:18     #36360
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Edit - found a link to the survey results. I note that “being rated on your looks by others” is included as an example of sexual harassment.