Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 23rd September 2014, 14:19     #121
Omegakai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
Students will drink free alcohol and come to anything vaguely considered a party but they won't thank you for it.
cant have been free, that would have broken at least 2 laws.
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:26     #122
Spink

Well you could argue that they paid with their integrity.

I dunno actually, I'm just sensationalizing it.
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:14     #123
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Stats from the nation's hardest-working numbercruncher David Farrar:

Quote:
  • Labour won the party vote in only five general electorates, down from 14 last time
  • National beat Labour by 23.4% nationwide, 22.7% in Auckland, 13.7% in Wellington, 24.9% in Christchurch, 25.0% in provincial NZ and 40.9% in rural NZ
  • Labour’s party vote dropped by 3.4% in Auckland and Wellington and 2.4% in Christchurch
  • Greens got 16.6% party vote in Wellington. Conservatives got 5.2% in rural NZ
  • Internet Mana went up 0.5% the three main cities but dropped 3.3% party vote in the Maori seats. Maori did not like selling out to Kim Dotcom.
  • The best party vote for National was Tamaki at 66.6%
  • National got over 50% party vote in 35 seats while Labour were below 20% in 23 seats and unbelievably below 15% in 13 seats!
  • NZ First got over 5% in 66 of 71 seats
  • Greens got 28.1% party vote in Wellington Central
  • The Conservatives got over 5% party vote in 19 seats (typo)
  • Labour came third in the party vote in four seats – Bay of Plenty, Helensville, Tauranga and Wellington Central
Something something Christchurch:

Or, as was posted at The Standard:

Quote:
As for Christchurch, here’s hoping another earthquake flattens the place. They need to be taught a lesson.
Old 23rd September 2014, 15:31     #124
StN
I have detailed files

Those jokers be speaking like WhaleOil...
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:27     #125
Lightspeed

That's the new status quo.
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:41     #126
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegakai
While its feasible to easy commit voting fraud in our current system, I don’t believe it is wide spread to the volume that would have affected the outcome of this election. As you would require 1000’s of people to be doing it.
In any case a recount won’t for sure pick up those fraudulent votes
Also I think if the margin is with in X amount this triggers an electoral recount anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegakai
I think you should vote, and there should be an option to abstain with reasons. that way you get votes and you data on why people didn't vote at the same time
I like the idea of compulsary voting, with an option on the voting paper to abstain.
I also think there needs to more in workplaces & universities & winz offices about the election and how and when to vote.

Winston is definitely better in opposition, but if I had a choice I would rather him not there at all. And you have to assume that is why the government want to talk with him. Better to have him on your side than against you.

And yes national will form a coalition with the other parties to keep them happy (playing the long game for the next election), but they have a lot less power to influence. Although I guess that is a good thing. A <1% party shouldnt be able to ransom the leading party.

Im interested in online voting, and the security of it.
Imagine if you had it this time, with Kim Dotcom there. I could imagine it would have created a lot of interest in hacking groups to try and get into the system.
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:52     #127
CCS
Stunt Pants

You guys are missing the point. You can make voting compulsory if you want, but being enrolled is already compulsory. The first hurdle hasn't even been crossed yet. Look at Spink's links. Those stats aren't people who voted - they're people who couldn't even be fucked abiding by their legal requirement to enrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I like the idea of compulsary voting, with an option on the voting paper to abstain.
I think you mean there should be a No Confidence option.

Quote:
A <1% party shouldnt be able to ransom the leading party.
You think that would happen?
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:55     #128
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
You guys are missing the point. You can make voting compulsory if you want, but being enrolled is already compulsory.
Indeed. What's needed is the belief that it's worth voting.
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:00     #129
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Indeed. What's needed is the belief that it's worth voting.
Do you think that could be enforced by law?
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:04     #130
Lightspeed

How do you mean?
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:06     #131
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
You think that would happen?
If you had the right person/party. Yep.
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:07     #132
Spink

What do you as a country even do if 20, 30, 55% of the country votes no confidence in that theoretical situation where it is an option?
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:08     #133
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
If you had the right person/party. Yep.
Such parties represent one seat. This term, Act and UNF won't be able to hold National to ransom.

Can you think of a time they have done so in the past?
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:17     #134
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
What do you as a country even do if 20, 30, 55% of the country votes no confidence in that theoretical situation where it is an option?
It was a 77% voter turnout this year. If you want, you could describe the 23% who didn't vote because they're too fucking lazy as No Confidence.

The question is, do you want the No Confidence option as a statistical means of separating the Can't Be Fuckeds from the Genuinely Don't Believe In Any Of The Parties? Or do you want it to be more meaning, ie No Confidence reaches a certain threshold and we go back to square one and have another election?
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:20     #135
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

There are sensible but dogmatically lefty voters who wouldn't vote for National because they're dogmatically lefty, but they wouldn't vote for LabourGreenWinstonInternana because they're sensible. There's nowhere for their vote to go, so I guess a lot of them didn't vote.
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:21     #136
Spink

I feel better just assuming they're mostly can't be fuckeds and not wasting the money on analysing it.
Old 23rd September 2014, 17:46     #137
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
There are sensible but dogmatically lefty voters who wouldn't vote for National because they're dogmatically lefty, but they wouldn't vote for LabourGreenWinstonInternana because they're sensible. There's nowhere for their vote to go, so I guess a lot of them didn't vote.
Pretty much. My flatmate is a life-long leftie and says he didn't vote this time or last time. He won't admit it, but he's disillusioned with Labour and couldn't stomach voting for them. He won't vote further left to Green and National are a sworn enemy.
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:33     #138
Lightspeed

The majority of the right voted that way because they believed myths like NZ isn't rich, then there is the vanishingly small minority of voters on the right who actually benefit from National being in power by virtue of their economic position.
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:37     #139
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It's not so much that people thought they'd benefit from National remaining in power; it's that they thought they would be HURT by LabourGreenWinstonInternana taking power.

Quote:
The latest Westpac McDermott Miller survey of consumer confidence shows 46 per cent expected good times for the next three years under a National government.

But under a Labour-Greens government just 14 per cent would have expected good times ahead, while 40 per cent would have expected bad times.
When only 14% of people think they'll be better off with you in charge, you ain't gonna be put in charge.
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:40     #140
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
It's not so much that people thought they'd benefit from National remaining in power; it's that they thought they would be HURT by LabourGreenWinstonInternana taking power.
If they've believed that it's because it's the only story that's out there - a benefit of a unified right vs a segmented left I suppose. It doesn't tell us much about what would actually happen though.
Old 23rd September 2014, 18:53     #141
Savage

Quote:
The majority of the right voted that way because they believed myths like NZ isn't rich, then there is the vanishingly small minority of voters on the right who actually benefit from National being in power by virtue of their economic position.
I like how you presume to know the reasons why any one (let alone the majority of the right) voted in any particular way. I also enjoy reading how anyone who didn't vote the same way you did either did it for personal benefit, or because they're stupid. That's a fantastic way to view the world.
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:09     #142
pxpx

Lightspeed you truly are fucking delusional.
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:16     #143
Spink

Don't feed the troll.
Old 23rd September 2014, 19:33     #144
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

I voted Green but if they didn't exist I wouldn't have voted Labour. That's pretty fucked.
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:06     #145
The Edge

I think the situation was the same as in 2002 - apparently a lot of voters then saw that Labour was going to win, so there was no point in them voting as it wouldn't change anything.
Old 23rd September 2014, 20:09     #146
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

The converse also holds true though - "oh, my team looks like it's going to win easy, I don't need to go out and vote"
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:55     #147
Savage

Solution to all our problems

Old 24th September 2014, 14:58     #148
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
I like how you presume to know the reasons why any one (let alone the majority of the right) voted in any particular way. I also enjoy reading how anyone who didn't vote the same way you did either did it for personal benefit, or because they're stupid. That's a fantastic way to view the world.
Thanks, that's exactly my point. Except the way I said it before got deleted.
Old 24th September 2014, 15:14     #149
Spink

Lightspeed's posts now word filter to

Old 24th September 2014, 15:21     #150
Lightspeed

Rolling eyes

Shit and jizz, eh?
Old 24th September 2014, 15:25     #151
Spink

Quote:
I guess you're right afterall
Old 24th September 2014, 15:27     #152
Lightspeed

I tend to think dialectically, if I think I'm right, I've made a mistake somewhere.
Old 24th September 2014, 15:30     #153
Spink

Quote:
I think your DBT needs some revision, you're slipping frequently.
Old 24th September 2014, 15:35     #154
Lightspeed

And yet, my sense is I'm the one considered at fault for threads turning to shit.
Old 24th September 2014, 15:43     #155
Spink

Quote:
Stop... twisting... the... knife
Old 24th September 2014, 15:45     #156
crocos

For each general election since 1957 the voter-turn out percentage has dropped on-average 0.75% each election.
The net trend over the last 100 years is 0.26%, so that is a significant acceleration.

People have commented that this year was the 3rd lowest turnout in the last 100 years. That little bon mot treats 1978 as the lowest turn-out year with 69.2%. However in the next general election over 361,000 names were removed from the electoral roll as duplicates; Allowing for that, 1978 becomes 79.9%, making the last three elections the lowest turn-out in the last 100 years at 74.2% (2011), 76.5% (this year) and 78.7% (2008)

That said, the lowest voter turn-out since records began is 60.6%, in 1884.

30.2% of the eligible population - over 1 million people - either didn't vote or didn't enroll.

Greatest percentage of seats held by any party was 69.07% in 1990 with National. Labour's highest was 1935 & 1938 each with 66.25%

No real point to this rambling collection of facts other than damn, makes you think.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 24th September 2014, 19:08     #157
Lightspeed

Quote:
Stop... twisting... the... knife
Clean up, isle Spink.
Old 24th September 2014, 19:52     #158
Spink

isle show you how to spell that correctly if you like.
Old 24th September 2014, 19:54     #159
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
I'm not so sure mine is an opinion. Perhaps you could give me a sensible definition of what the center is evidenced by what occurs elsewhere.

As a starting point I am sure you'd agree with me if the USA was used but thinking wider on a population-weighted basis for western-style democracies I really do think I am on safe ground.

If you want to use an NZ-only definition of center then I'd agree with you.
I guess you'd vote for the Conservatives in the elections back home eh?
Old 24th September 2014, 20:01     #160
Lightspeed

Laugh

Quote:
isle show you how to spell that correctly if you like.
lolz