NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 25th June 2011, 23:51     #41
CCS
Stunt Pants

Roads shouldn't come at the cost of public transport and vice-versa. It doesn't have to be one or the other - they both need serious work as one by itself is not a magic bullet. The reason the roads are so congested is because they were built with the old "she'll be right" attitude with no foresight. Harbour Bridge? Four lanes will be plenty mate! Hmm... gonna have to add another four... Etc, etc.
Old 26th June 2011, 10:41     #42
fixed_truth

PM link with 'sexist' Thompson claims
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10734588
Quote:
An influential business leader, who witnessed the confrontation at a high-powered dinner in Washington DC, said last night that she would make a formal complaint to the board of the EMA. . . from October 6 to 8, 2009.
Nice timing, influential business leader lady!
Old 26th June 2011, 11:10     #43
The Edge

Thumbs up

Quote:
EMA president Graham Mountfort said Thompson would be asked to explain himself to the board and was no longer allowed to speak with the media.

"He won't be an advocate for us in the future."
Looks like I got my wish
Old 26th June 2011, 16:43     #44
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
PM link with 'sexist' Thompson claims
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10734588

Nice timing, influential business leader lady!
Oh, now this is just getting SILLY.
Old 26th June 2011, 17:24     #45
CCS
Stunt Pants

In this news hour, allegations that Alasdair Thompson once told a dirty joke when he was in his 20s. We tell you what that joke is.
Old 26th June 2011, 17:45     #46
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

So you're the CEO of the Employers and Manufacturers Association. It's your job to represent the interests of bosses in negotiations with government and workers' representatives. A business-friendly National government is in power. Here are some things you probably shouldn't do, in order:
  • insinuate that the Prime Minister has had an affair
  • insinuate that the Prime Minister has had an affair with the President of the Council of Trade Unions
  • insinuate that the Prime Minister has had an affair with the President of the Council of Trade Unions and tell her about it
  • insinuate that the Prime Minister has had an affair with the President of the Council of Trade Unions and tell her about it and tell her that you asked the PM about it too
  • insinuate that the Prime Minister has had an affair with the President of the Council of Trade Unions and tell her about it and tell her that you asked the PM about it too and do all of this in front of third-party witnesses
  • insinuate that the Prime Minister has had an affair with the President of the Council of Trade Unions and tell her about it and tell her that you asked the PM about it too and do all of this in front of third-party witnesses when one of them is a Labour MP
Old 26th June 2011, 17:59     #47
CCS
Stunt Pants

So... he's a bit dumb.
Old 26th June 2011, 18:37     #48
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff
Unite Union spokesman Joe Caralan said earlier that about 40 people were planned to march from Galbraiths pub at the top of Symonds Street to the EMA offices in Khyber Pass Road.
Shit just got serious.
Old 26th June 2011, 18:44     #49
Redneck

Holy fuck, Thompson is a dead man.
Old 27th June 2011, 00:07     #50
crocos

Dude is going to need to get used to asking one very important question:

"Would you like fries with that?"

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 27th June 2011, 04:10     #51
StN
I have detailed files

I guess he decided that he never ever ever wants to have sex with a woman, ever again.
Old 27th June 2011, 09:26     #52
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Dude is going to need to get used to asking one very important question:

"Would you like fries with that?"
Nah, he will go overseas and become CEO of some company, and probably be paid more than he is now.
Old 27th June 2011, 19:50     #53
zeekiorage

He will probably be able to find a new job if he can scrub his name from Google search results or find a company where management is dumber than him. The latter is probably easier. Actually another option for him is politics, where being dumb, fuckwit and infamous are bonus traits.
Old 2nd July 2011, 13:13     #54
fixed_truth

So AirNZ have terminated their membership with EMA. And now we find out Thompson has an "illness".
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5222...ir-NZ-on-board
Quote:
Mr Margrain confirmed that Mr Thompson's illness would be a factor in decisions on his future with the organisation.
Old 6th July 2011, 15:15     #55
Juju
get to da choppa

annnnnnnnnnnd he's gone burger.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10736695

Last edited by Juju : 6th July 2011 at 15:17.
Old 6th July 2011, 20:22     #56
zeekiorage

Quote:
Strong support for sacked EMA boss

ACT's Roger Douglas has joined the debate saying t’s a sad day for free speech when people can be hounded from their jobs simply for expressing controversial views.
He should totally have his job back. The remarks by THE CEO of Employers and Manufacturers Association weren't sexist, discriminatory, dumb and plain wrong at all. It's FREE SPEECH BITCHES.
Old 6th July 2011, 22:15     #57
crocos

Quote:
And now we find out Thompson has an "illness".
Foot-in-mouth disease.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if what he said was right or not: It was a politically stupid move given what his role is (lol, was), for whom he was representing, with the audience he was fronting to. FFS, I would actually call that gross misconduct - a firing offence and no question.

Last edited by crocos : 6th July 2011 at 22:18.
Old 7th July 2011, 08:33     #58
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekiorage
He should totally have his job back. The remarks by THE CEO of Employers and Manufacturers Association weren't sexist, discriminatory, dumb and plain wrong at all. It's FREE SPEECH BITCHES.
Was Alasdair part of the old boys club?
Old 7th July 2011, 09:01     #59
crocos

Yep, pretty much.

Old 7th July 2011, 09:31     #60
xor

I just found it a bit odd how Cameron Brewer, Roger Douglas and others are willing to put their balls out on the line and say how great Alasdair was after he's been put out with the rubbish.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:18     #61
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

For me it wasn't the comments he made but his aggressive manner in that interview. He's an asshole and I'm glad he's gone.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:26     #62
aR Que

I think the precedent we're setting for 'Say something controversial and you're gone' is a bit concerning. Not that the guy isn't a douche`, just saying.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:45     #63
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Wait what, Roger Douglas pushing for greater protection of employees from at-will firings by their employer?
Old 7th July 2011, 11:40     #64
drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
I think the precedent we're setting for 'Say something controversial and you're gone' is a bit concerning. Not that the guy isn't a douche`, just saying.
He was employed as a mouthpiece and the org copped flack for what he was mouthing and doing in their name.

Not really much of a precedent, despite all the attempts to blow this up into some kind of pack censorship.
Old 7th July 2011, 11:55     #65
pxpx

Cunning linguist

What was with the way he pronounced "statistics".. kinda like he thought it was spelt "sta-stist-sticks".

Really annoyed me, and for that reason I'm glad he's gone.
Old 7th July 2011, 12:02     #66
Lightspeed

I fuckin' reckon. If you can't talk like an adult, you shouldn't have an adult job.
Old 7th July 2011, 12:27     #67
blynk

So, Alaisdair Thompson will be the next newest member of ACT?
Because they all for Youth Rates. They could easily add gender rates.
Old 7th July 2011, 12:59     #68
Hooker

2 cents.

At the end of the day if you look at it without moral/ethics, if a particular person is less productive why shouldn't they get paid less? Perhaps woman are generalised and get paid less due to 'woman stuff', this sucks for career ladies.

For single mothers sure, this is a pity - but no doubt they're less productive at work as their minds are on their children etc. Do you blame the business? If businesses didn't take such things into consideration imagine how shitty their business would be?

Everything is working in librium for a family. Woman gets paid less, man gets paid more...average this out. Look at it from the perspective of house hold income and not individual. If it were the man who looked after the kids and their penis bleed etc we'd get paid less and woman would get paid more, again...same situation house hold income = same, back at square fucking one.

Why should business owners pay equal to someone who is less productive? Male or female.

We have people at work who just constantly leave early to pick up their kids etc, whatever...they probably get paid less due to less productivity, the business isn't responsible for what people do in life. Rich families employ nannies to look after the kids so both parents can have full on careers, they most likely get paid fairly but they end up paying for child care...back at square fucking one.

As mentioned before, Scando's with males being more active in household etc. Same story...except then the woman slightly more and the man gets paid slightly less for being less productive and back at square fucking one.
Old 7th July 2011, 14:01     #69
GM

Laugh

nzgames, retarded from birth apparently.
Old 7th July 2011, 14:22     #70
blynk

Ok, what about smokers. They tend to take more breaks, and if they haven't had their nicotine may become more stressed and less productive.

What about computer gamers, they are probably sitting their thinking about they next chance to get home and play.

What about older people who can't type as fast. They are really unproductive. They will take 5 minutes to write an email that someone else could write in 1.
Old 7th July 2011, 14:32     #71
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker
At the end of the day if you look at it without moral/ethics, if a particular person is less productive why shouldn't they get paid less?
Your question reflects inherent values that people should be resourced based purely on their productivity, that a person can only contribute to society through work and that anything that might limit a person's productivity regardless of how essential it might be to our species or society is not a consideration.

You're also suggesting that businesses are somehow outside our society and should only consider what impacts them, not how they fit into the greater human experience.

You know, predominant contemporary values.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 7th July 2011 at 14:34.
Old 7th July 2011, 14:42     #72
Baxton

couldn't you have just said yes?

On the backwards planet of Magoo V where people pack cats in their work briefcases we would have scoffed at the words you said, you are just lucky you live on earth, in reality......

Last edited by Baxton : 7th July 2011 at 14:44.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:04     #73
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
couldn't you have just said yes?
I was trying to highlight there are more than just morals/ethics to consider but values (which are inherently arbitrary.)

I.E. we don't pay women equally because as a society we don't want to.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:10     #74
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooker
Why should business owners pay equal to someone who is less productive? Male or female.
They shouldn't. But the issue is about women getting paid less for doing the same job.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 7th July 2011 at 15:12.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:19     #75
aR Que

tbh, i can't remember ever working somewhere where woman are paid less than the men, for the same job.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:37     #76
Fx.

^^
most places i've walked ran on performance based payrises too rather then tenure based
Old 7th July 2011, 15:42     #77
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
They shouldn't. But the issue is about women getting paid less for doing the same job.
The problem is what do you mean by "same job"? And doing the same JOB shouldn't necessarily entitle you to the same pay. Equal productivity isn't the same as "doing the same job".

Glib one-liners just aren't enough in relation to serious issues.
Old 7th July 2011, 15:48     #78
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Ok, what about smokers. They tend to take more breaks, and if they haven't had their nicotine may become more stressed and less productive
In many jobs I've been in this has actually been a factor, boss decided not to hire a person based on their smoking habits.

But because they had a penis ... no one cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
The problem is what do you mean by "same job"? And doing the same JOB shouldn't necessarily entitle you to the same pay. Equal productivity isn't the same as "doing the same job".

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 7th July 2011, 16:16     #79
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Glib one-liners just aren't enough in relation to serious issues.
Serious issues is definitely what brings me to NZG.
Old 7th July 2011, 16:18     #80
Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Your question reflects inherent values that people should be resourced based purely on their productivity, that a person can only contribute to society through work
The former, yes that is what I said. The latter, you came up with that one.

We're talking about earning CASH, not contributing to society.

Quote:
and that anything that might limit a person's productivity regardless of how essential it might be to our species or society is not a consideration.
What world do you live in? Of course.

Quote:
You're also suggesting that businesses are somehow outside our society and should only consider what impacts them, not how they fit into the greater human experience.

You know, predominant contemporary values.
It is a possibility that they infact drive society. You know, blame humans for not being...'humane'.

Last edited by Hooker : 7th July 2011 at 16:19.