Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 28th January 2014, 21:29     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour denounces Facebook as a paedophile network, will shut it down

Quote:
The Labour Party has put forward a possible solution to force multi-national corporations to pay more tax – ban them from the internet.

It says the Government should first talk with companies like Facebook, but if that doesn't work it is important to have a backup, something Labour is describing as a credible threat.

Facebook is the world's largest social network by far, but pays little tax here in New Zealand.

"The Government should always have in its back pocket the ability to ban websites," says Labour revenue spokesman David Clark.

But Finance Minister Bill English says "frankly, that sounds nuts".

"Fine print, he's going to close down Facebook," says Prime Minister John Key. "That'll be interesting."

"Paedophile websites are banned the world around," says Mr Clark.
http://www.3news.co.nz/Labour-threat...6/Default.aspx
Old 28th January 2014, 22:34     #2
CCS
Stunt Pants

facepalm

Pay more tax or get banned? Wtf? Why not strengthen the tax laws instead of making threats?

"It's completely unbelievable that they would be making so little profit here," says Mr Clark.

If Clark can prove that their expenses should have exceeded their revenues, then he ought to explain why.
Old 28th January 2014, 23:26     #3
Lightspeed

Maybe Facebook is gonna pay for the babies?
Old 29th January 2014, 01:59     #4
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

They're just... muppets. It boggles the mind.
Old 29th January 2014, 02:09     #5
CCS
Stunt Pants

I don't know much about David Clark. Is he normally this much of a moron?

Has he come up with a penalty for other businesses that he thinks don't pay their fair share of tax but don't have a massive internet based revenue stream? Or is this just a policy aimed purely at large web businesses for a lame go at political capital?

Has he thought about how this might affect the youth vote?

Christ almighty.

Last edited by CCS : 29th January 2014 at 02:11.
Old 29th January 2014, 07:47     #6
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

iPhone users could be blocked from using their phones too.
Old 29th January 2014, 08:26     #7
fixed_truth

facepalm

lols what a n00b. Looks like he fell for the same sort of trap Colin Craig did a few weeks back.

When a reporter asks you "Should the government consider banning Facebook?" Even a indirect answer like "the government should always have in its back pocket the ability to ban websites" - could get you "Labour threatens Facebook ban" and "The Labour Party has put forward a possible solution".

A good answer would have been "that's not something the Labour party is currently considering".
Old 29th January 2014, 09:38     #8
pxpx

Yeah, it does sound a little bit too dumb to be true so is most likely a tricky journalist trap, but this is Labour remember, they are quite incompetent and out of touch in general.
Old 29th January 2014, 11:03     #9
cyc
Objection!

Most people here are unlikely to think of/care about the implication of this threat, which the Dear Leader did not actually appear to entirely back away from if the article is to be believed: yet again, Labour exposes its utterly ignorance of the laws of NZ.

The NZ Bill of Rights Act protects everyone's freedom of expression against unwarranted intrusion. Even if Facebook is in breach of its tax obligations here, the most punitive course of action that the government can take under the law is to have its NZ operations liquidated by application to the High Court. There's no justification for infringing on A, B and C and everybody else's right to freedom of expression by stopping them from accessing FB.

Elect Labour = Get morons making laws.
Old 29th January 2014, 19:32     #10
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Elect Labour = Get morons making laws.
Yep.

But also:
Elect National = Get more laws that fuck over anyone not making 100K+, weaken our civil rights, consistently lie to the public and refuse to back down even when presented with evidence, and really don't have anyone more competent than labour looking after finances.
Elect Greens = Country goes down the shitter from the strong lunatic element
Elect anyone else? Not currently, those really are the three best options.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 29th January 2014 at 19:34.
Old 29th January 2014, 19:53     #11
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
...and really don't have anyone more competent than labour looking after finances.
Then again, at least National has grown the economy.
Old 29th January 2014, 21:01     #12
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
There are several reasons New Zealand’s economic outlook is more comparable to the early 1950s and early 1970s than the past 40 years. These include:

Terms of trade: The country’s terms of trade index rose 7.5 per cent, to 1356, in September, the highest level since December 1973. Australia’s terms of trade have fallen 18 per cent this year.

Dairy: GlobalDairyTrade auction prices have appreciated 52 per cent over the past twelve months and dairy exports surged 49.1 per cent in the three months ended October 31 compared with the same three months in the previous year. Recent surveys show that farmers have significant investment intentions, an important feature of New Zealand’s strong economic performance in the 1950s.

China: It is now New Zealand’s largest export market and is expected to continue to grow by more than 7 per cent a year.

Christchurch rebuild: The inner-city rebuild programme should gather momentum when construction begins on the justice and emergency services precinct from March next year, to be followed by the health precinct in the June or September quarter. These projects, which are mainly funded by the Crown and city, should encourage private sector investment in the inner city.

Migration: The country has had strong net migration inflows in recent months and had total net migration of 17,490 for the 12 months ended October.

This figure is expected to increase steadily over the next few months, and Statistics New Zealand figures show more than 90 per cent of new arrivals settle in Auckland.

Housing: The strong migration inflow should continue to boost the housing market and housing construction, particularly in Auckland.

Government finances: The Crown’s financial deficit is falling and the Key Administration may announce tax cuts in May’s budget. However, large expenditures on the Christchurch rebuild may restrict this option.

Confidence: Business, consumer and farming confidence are all at, or near, all-time highs.

Companies: Most domestic companies have strong balance sheets and plenty of capacity to expand and invest. Rod Drury and Xero have lifted the ambitions of New Zealand companies and we now have a large number of young entrepreneurs with aggressive global aspirations.

KiwiSaver: Last but not least is KiwiSaver, which is giving us a pool of private permanent funds that can be partially invested in the domestic productive sector. KiwiSaver ought to have the same positive effect on the domestic economy as Australia’s compulsory superannuation has had on its economy.

In view of these factors the outlook for the New Zealand economy is exciting, the best it has been since the early 1970s.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=11172242
Yup, that all sucks.
Old 29th January 2014, 21:05     #13
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Then again, at least National has grown the economy.
They have? I though it was the CHCH rebuilt, dairy exports and the housing boom driving it all.
Old 29th January 2014, 22:13     #14
CCS
Stunt Pants

o_O

Oh right. The country just dug itself out of the GFC while the govt sat back and twiddled its thumbs.
Old 29th January 2014, 22:31     #15
fixed_truth

Well pretty much all the commentary I've read cites those things as the key drivers.

If as you say it was actually National who has grown the economy; what exactly have they done?
Old 29th January 2014, 22:39     #16
Lightspeed

Why, they got people off the dole of course!
Old 29th January 2014, 22:46     #17
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
If as you say it was actually National who has grown the economy; what exactly have they done?
Nothing, bro. Nothing. The govt has no influence on the economy.
Old 29th January 2014, 22:59     #18
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Nothing, bro. Nothing. The govt has no influence on the economy.
lolled
Old 29th January 2014, 23:03     #19
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
at least National has grown the economy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
The govt has no influence on the economy.
Old 29th January 2014, 23:11     #20
Spink

HAHA YOU GOT HIM!!!
Old 29th January 2014, 23:11     #21
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'm coming around to your way of thinking, that's all. I realise now that the country was lucky to have had an earthquake. It's been great for the economy. It really has.
Old 29th January 2014, 23:31     #22
fixed_truth

Whatever dick.

I didn't say governments can't influence the economy. I simply pointed out the common position that the CHCH rebuilt, dairy exports and the housing boom are the key drivers of current growth and asked you why you think it's actually Nationals doing. For which you don't seem to have an answer.
Old 29th January 2014, 23:50     #23
chubby

Lightbulb

he does not offer that which he has to defend.
Old 30th January 2014, 00:15     #24
CCS
Stunt Pants

The role of Minister of Finance is clearly obsolete and I thank you for helping me to realise that.
Old 30th January 2014, 09:22     #25
pxpx

CCS I put it to you that Facebook is a paedophile network, and something needs to be done about it, what say you?
Old 30th January 2014, 09:52     #26
chubby

paedophiles should pay their taxes.
Old 30th January 2014, 09:52     #27
CCS
Stunt Pants

BAN IT FROM THE INTERWOGGLE!
Old 30th January 2014, 10:10     #28
aR Que

I dunno what the govt has, or has not done.

All i know is that when i started this journey, there was redundancies, wailing, nashing of teeth and a whole lot of its-not-in-the-budget.
Now we're sitting around high fiving each other and wondering how we're going to get a dozen hookers under the coorperate table.

Seen many, many companies shit themselves. Now i'm seeing substaintial growth, especially amongst the small local firms that hung in there (quickest to react).

Blame the management when things are bad.
Say the management doesn't do sfa when things are good.
*shrug*
Old 30th January 2014, 10:52     #29
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
CCS I put it to you that Facebook is a paedophile network, and something needs to be done about it, what say you?
I say that since the pony express, pedos have used the mail to transfer their nefarious wares. Ban philately - obviously it is an enabler.
Old 30th January 2014, 10:54     #30
CCS
Stunt Pants

Ban ponies. They enable philately as well as bestiality.
Old 30th January 2014, 10:58     #31
ZoSo

Pretty sure following Labour's latest <insert here> crisis, is the magical fix it all. They say there's a crisis and, then there isn't.
Old 23rd February 2014, 10:44     #32
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
paedophiles should pay their taxes.
In a related note, NZs tax system, much like others in the world, doesn't care how you get your income, so long as you pay your tax on it. For example, if a NZ gang gets done in a drug bust, IRD gets a cut of the money that they made from selling the drugs. If it's illegal, IRD doesn't care. They're like, "Just give us our money pls". So, I guess essentially, if you make a sizable amount of money from selling kiddie pictures to dodgy people, the govt wants a cut of that money.

Last edited by Dusty : 23rd February 2014 at 10:46.