Old 10th October 2022, 15:18     #43481
Lightspeed

Thumbs up

William Shatner: My Trip to Space Filled Me With ‘Overwhelming Sadness’

It almost reads like a classic sci-fi.
Old 10th October 2022, 17:24     #43482
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Adriana Chechik broke her back doing what?
Old 10th October 2022, 17:33     #43483
Lightspeed

Jumping into a sponge "pit" aka a floor with sponges on it is what I read. I abstained from watching the video. Also, I don't know who this person is.

Edit: oh.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 10th October 2022 at 17:35.
Old 10th October 2022, 21:19     #43484
xor

We live in on a quiet road then ends in a cul de sac.

Turns out one of my neighbours at the end of the cul de sac is bit of a tyrant. She went bananas at some of the neighbourhood kids (3 boys) who were riding their bikes through the bush. She started taking photos, so the kids went home and told their army officer step father about it. Hilarity ensued.

In reality, she doesn't want anyone hanging out in the cul de sac. Fun times ahead for her
Old 11th October 2022, 08:25     #43485
StN
I have detailed files

I'd like to think that I live in a world where there is a blooper reel hidden away in the vaults of Whittakers, featuring Mr Urban going full Billy Butcher and scootering off yelling back at the forlorn kid on the park bench "Best is always better - Cunt!"
Old 14th October 2022, 03:56     #43486
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Drove 850km yesterday from Central Coast, NSW back up to Brisvegas yesterday. Long AF drive
Damn. Longest 1-day drive I've done was Wellington to Auckmageddon 7

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 14th October 2022, 13:55     #43487
wazza
*flex*

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGA...-Graphics-Card
Old 14th October 2022, 19:58     #43488
StN
I have detailed files

When the moon has lost its glow…
Old 15th October 2022, 11:40     #43489
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Lightbulb Who's responsible for all the carbon emissions?

This argument rests on CO2 being responsible for global warming, which I don't really buy into, but that's the assumption that drives all our policy decisions, so let's assume that the CO2 argument is both true and likely to have a catastrophic effect, rather than just an observable but insignificant warming over 100 years.

If you take the worldwide CO2 emissions, and divide them equally per person, you get around 4.63 units of CO2 per person - I believe the units are tons, but it's not important.

Take each country's population and assign them 4.63 units per person - that is how a fair world might emit - with each person responsible for roughly the same footprint. Then compare with actual emissions for each country, and you can see which countries are actually responsible for CO2 emissions beyond their fair share. Australia comes in at #9, while New Zealand sits slightly above, but somewhere near the middle.

If one assumes that CO2 emissions are the cause of global warming, then it is entirely up to those countries at the top of the list (namely China + USA) to clean up their act, because as you can see, most countries are well-behaved and either emit an "average" amount, or the size of their populations doesn't justify drastic measures even if they're an "above average" emissions population [per capita]. Even if NZ spent trillions to become absolutely carbon zero and run everything from electricity and use zero oil/zero cow farts, our current emissions in a year are 28 hours worth of China's emissions. Over 2 weeks, China will emit as much as NZ will in the next 12 years if we change absolutely nothing.

And then right down the bottom, there's India. Despite being the #3 biggest emitter, with a huge population, they're substantially under-emitting per capita. While they have a comparable population to China, they are emitting about a quarter of China's CO2.

It's counter-productive for countries like New Zealand to think we're "saving the planet" by moving to an electric vehicle fleet, or crippling our agriculture, considering the manufacturing of these vehicles puts more demand on the countries with the highest current emissions, and our contribution of 5M people in this world is fuck all anyway.

Should we aim to look after our environment better, and stop doing wasteful things? Sure. Do we need to panic about our emissions and vote in crazy Green party people so that we have a future on this planet? No, just stop buying Chinese disposable shit. We're pissing into the wind if we think we can "lead the world" and save the planet with 5M people riding bikes/driving EVs and going vegan or increasing the price of our meat so that only the wealthy can afford it.

Data source: https://www.worldometers.info/co2-em...ns-per-capita/ (2016 data - I don't expect the changes would have a huge impact on who is responsible)
Old 15th October 2022, 12:20     #43490
fixed_truth

The argument is that history shows global change is exponential. By countries taking responsibility for their share of emissions it adds to the sum of momentum and feedback loops, and also leverages & validates collective political pressure on countries & markets which leads to systemic change.
Old 15th October 2022, 12:21     #43491
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Upside down

RIP Robbie Coltrane
Old 16th October 2022, 22:26     #43492
xor

RIP to the thieving shits who stole from this food bank. Pretty sure Letele is a mongrel mob member.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/dave-b...5UOWVN6PHLD3Y/
Old 19th October 2022, 11:09     #43493
MadMax
Stuff

Just had a password reset email for “ESET Home” and I’ve not used an ESET product for years now. Makes me wonder if they’ve had a data breach.

Could of course be a miss-type on someone trying to reset their own similar login …
Old 20th October 2022, 01:19     #43494
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

I just ignored work for 4 weeks and did what I wanted. One of the directors that I've worked with, and get along with, called me yesterday and asked what's going on. I just said I was sick of the work they gave me (as I've mentioned in another post). He asked if everything was OK, I said I was just sorting my life out, and he's organized a meeting for next week with my manager so I can come in and pass off the work I hate to other people and start on a new project with the CNC machines that he wants me on.

I'm the worst employee to manage, but apparently useful. Contractor++

Free market G. That's how we roll.
Old 20th October 2022, 19:56     #43495
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ben Simmons just missed his first in-game FT in 523 days, what a streak
Old 21st October 2022, 19:18     #43496
wazza
*flex*

cant believe lex just cranked out an 8hr podcast. what the hack
Old 25th October 2022, 08:26     #43497
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
cant believe lex just cranked out an 8hr podcast. what the hack
I know - I was dozing off and kept hearing the same chap when I woke up!
Old 27th October 2022, 23:39     #43498
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
meeting for next week
What a shit show. They asked me to come in to sort out the problems - I ranted at them about how nothing is explained or written down - it's just a summary conversation then told to "do it", plans keep changing, everyone gives different answers and wants to do things differently - everyone agreed the company was poorly run, and they asked me to help with a "time critical" project without explaining what it is we're trying to achieve. No problems were addressed. We went out to the new building, had a look around, then suddenly I was in a meeting talking about barcodes with no context so I just said "I still have no idea what we're doing and to be honest I couldn't care less" and ended the meeting. I went and told my manager I wanted a 50% increase in my rate to deal with this shit and went home again. I'll still bill them for my time.

Another guy left recently, so we're already short staffed, and no new person will know what's going on either. I actually felt miserable being in the place because I've been off for so long that I forgot how little I care about what it is I'm helping with. I doubt I'll last there for much longer, even if they agree to pay me more. They'll either refuse and I'll leave, or they'll pay it but I'll dread going back after the Christmas break. Time to start job hunting.
Old 28th October 2022, 07:55     #43499
wazza
*flex*

that's intense. sounds like the ERP team where i work
i have projects for the next 2 years and my boss and the directors are like "we'll let you figure it out". i literally have no fucking idea what i'm doing but the business loves me and i'm well looked after.

i just chill most days, try and achieve a single task and that's my lot. documentation and knowledge-sharing has become a focus of mine

i have 3 juniors that i mentor / look after on the support desk(service desk), i'm in operations/infrastructure.

my senior lives in a different part of the country and rarely talks to me, i just yolo.
Old 28th October 2022, 10:56     #43500
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I just said "I still have no idea what we're doing and to be honest I couldn't care less" and ended the meeting.
This is what peak performance looks like
Old 28th October 2022, 18:42     #43501
wazza
*flex*

hah
Old 1st November 2022, 16:12     #43502
Lightspeed

This is amazing:

https://twitter.com/wellerstein/stat...0xZXqcLVg&s=19

Quote:
"Then he gave the intern an Army-issue .45-caliber pistol and told him to guard the suitcases."

(This raises a tough quandary: is it more irresponsible to give your summer intern a suitcase nuke, or a loaded .45?)
Old 1st November 2022, 16:15     #43503
Lightspeed

Old 2nd November 2022, 09:51     #43504
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

France demands Rumble removes RT (or "certain Russian news sources") from Rumble.

Rumble simply cuts off France and tells them to get fucked.
Old 2nd November 2022, 12:03     #43505
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Nothing about the US and nukes in the Cold War surprises me any more. It was just insanity.
Old 7th November 2022, 17:33     #43506
xor

David Farrier's - Mister Organ

https://www.madmanfilms.com.au/mister-organ/

Looks awesome
Old 13th November 2022, 00:48     #43507
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ruby Tui for PM
Old 13th November 2022, 12:04     #43508
[fe]

GG Samoa Game Highlights

Last edited by [fe] : 13th November 2022 at 12:06.
Old 17th November 2022, 01:20     #43509
Lightspeed

Prosecutor Defeats Chewbacca Defense In An Actual Federal Court Case

Quote:
During closing arguments, Moise’s defense team brought up the fact that the IRS agents who investigated him were told to revise their initial calculations about Moise’s income and expenses. His attorneys then argued that because the IRS agents’s “work was so bad,” their testimony and their revised calculations couldn’t be trusted.

In his rebuttal, Assistant U.S. Attorney Arnold Corsmeier said the IRS agents’ initial calculations had “nothing to do with this case.” Instead, Corsmeier argued that the defense was throwing out a red herring reminiscent of the Chewbacca Defense from South Park
Old 20th November 2022, 06:44     #43510
Trigga*happY

i need a game

What are you all playing these days? I've just finished RDR2 and Horizon ZeroDawn, I'm bored of WoW so don't play that anymore, played Diablo Immortal for a bit, but meh.... Have played Fallout 4 through with many expansions, love the settlers aspect of it combined with the open world FPS.

Someone throw me a bone? What's good out there that i've missed.
Old 20th November 2022, 09:20     #43511
Redneck

Cyberpunk 2077! The latest patches have fixed most of the bugs and performance issues and the story and gameplay are both fantastic. Really loved playing it
Old 20th November 2022, 11:57     #43512
_indigo1

I've heard good words about the A Plague Tale series
Old 20th November 2022, 17:07     #43513
Lightspeed

Disco Elysium? If you're after something story driven.

Or maybe Stray?
Old 20th November 2022, 21:59     #43514
[fe]

Some oldies -If you played System Shock 2 back in the day I recommend Prey from 2017. Replaying it now. Also Control. Witcher 3 is also getting a next gen update this month if you haven’t played it.
Old 22nd November 2022, 10:34     #43515
MadMax
Stuff

Emails to me frequently begin “Apparently you are the man to talk to…”

Because everyone knows a man is required for this request

/woke/troll
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:38     #43516
Trigga*happY

Cheers guys will have a look at those, see if they can keep my attention for a moment or three!
Old 23rd November 2022, 13:12     #43517
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Disco Elysium? If you're after something story driven.

Or maybe Stray?
Disco Elysium is a fantastic RPG. Not a lot of action but a whole heap of very indepth story and character development.
9.5/10 from me. It only loses that 0.5 because the final chapters of the story seem incredibly rushed.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 23rd November 2022 at 13:14.
Old 23rd November 2022, 13:18     #43518
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

training AI to be more persuasive, what could possibly go wrong

https://twitter.com/ml_perception/st...70329227206656
Old 23rd November 2022, 13:27     #43519
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by [fe]
Some oldies -If you played System Shock 2 back in the day I recommend Prey from 2017. Replaying it now. Also Control.
Both Prey and Control are good games, especially if you're wanting to push your machine. Ray tracing in Control is very cool.

Altho I am currently stuck on a monster in Control, I need to go back to it, the lore of the game is so much fun.
Old 23rd November 2022, 14:28     #43520
_indigo1

Yeah, it's great lore.
It's also awesome that Alan Wake and Quantum Break are in the same universe.

That's another one BTW - Quantum Break - excellent story. On rails for sure, but very entertaining.

Another one of those games that deserves a sequel as it's lore is awesome - but unlikely to get one due to licensing.

Microsoft has dead-ended so many great games.
BRING BACK FREELANCER!