Password

Old 25th June 2020, 10:50     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ex-Google exec builds subscription-based search engine

Hmm, I approve. Joined the waiting list. Anyway:

Neeva.co

Quote:
OAKLAND: By the end of his 15 years at Google, Sridhar Ramaswamy, then the executive in charge of the company’s $115 billion advertising arm, had grown disillusioned with the business he had helped build.

The final straw came in November 2017 when news reports found videos of scantily clad children on YouTube featuring ads from Deutsche Bank, Amazon, eBay and Adidas. The advertisements were served automatically by the technology systems overseen by Ramaswamy’s team.

“I decided the following month that I needed to do something different with my life,” Ramaswamy said in a recent interview. “I came to realize that an ad-supported model had limitations.”

Nearly two years after he left Google, he is testing his newfound conviction by mounting a challenge against his former employer. His new company, Neeva, is a search engine that looks for information on the web as well as personal files like emails and other documents. It will not show any advertisements and it will not collect or profit from user data, he said. It plans to make money on subscriptions from users paying for the service.
Old 25th June 2020, 12:40     #2
Nich

Even Duckduckgo & Startpage can't match this. Bring back services you pay money for! Although I do recall Gabriel Weinberg's chagrin in a podcast discussing how he disliked the ad model. Although i think a login / subscription to duckduckgo would steer them away from their primary guiding principle: privacy.
Old 25th June 2020, 13:26     #3
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, I'm now firmly in the if your service relies on advertising I will assume you are toxic camp. A subscription search engine? Sign me up.
Old 26th June 2020, 17:28     #4
Lightspeed

Yeah, I need to get on board with this.

It's easier to trade in a slice of your soul than some cash, which is a strong temptation when you're cash-strapped, a convenient circumstance for those selling ads.

Right now YouTube is probably my biggest transgression, bad habit of seeing what the algorithm's got for me before I go to sleep, doing my best to ignore the ads.

Reddit is a bit more complicated because there's a strong element of human curation, even though this can be and is subverted.
Old 26th June 2020, 23:14     #5
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Right now YouTube is probably my biggest transgression, bad habit of seeing what the algorithm's got for me before I go to sleep, doing my best to ignore the ads.
This is why I have YouTube Red (YouTube premium nowadays?) and only go to the home-page once my subs box is empty

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 26th June 2020, 23:18     #6
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Right now YouTube is probably my biggest transgression, bad habit of seeing what the algorithm's got for me before I go to sleep
In the past couple of weeks since I purged my history, Youtube has taken me from clips of The Clone Wars, to critical reviews of the Disney sequels, to rabid gamergatish anti-feminist video blogs ranting about Kathleen Kennedy and Social Justice Warriors in general.
Old 27th June 2020, 08:25     #7
pxpx

Maker youtube and car-guy youtube is the best youtube. Wholesome.
Old 27th June 2020, 09:08     #8
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Maker youtube and car-guy youtube is the best youtube. Wholesome.
+ science education youtube

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 30th June 2020, 13:20     #9
StN
I have detailed files

...All rolled up in Simoné's Truckla.