NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > VUALT
User Name
Password

Old 19th August 2000, 17:54     #481
Uncle Gus

480 posts. My God. Almost at the half-mellennium.... It seems fitting that the thread with the biggest number of posts is about breasts. I think that's quite flattering, don't you ladies?

------------------
That's all I have to say about that.

Uncle Gus

Old 20th August 2000, 02:18     #482
necom

[This message has been edited by necom (edited 24 October 2000).]

Old 20th August 2000, 02:33     #483
Surak
Devout Minion of the Cow

Just to add a little to the Height as proof of Evolution.

Our increase in height, due to better nutrition is the same as how we evolved to have small, relatively weak Teeth. We discovered how to harness the cooking potential of fire, so therefore were better nourished. We no longer needed to have such big strong teeth to rip the raw meat apart. This also went towards allowing us to increase the ole grey matter, etc, etc.

The Height thing is evolution. So therefore we can easily see evolution of the species in the last century.

------------------
Surak

Mmmmm, 64 slices of American cheese, 63, 63, 61...... 2, 1.

www.o-bot.com

Old 20th August 2000, 02:43     #484
necom

Exclamation

Old 20th August 2000, 03:22     #485
necom

Big Smile

Old 20th August 2000, 03:45     #486
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Mr Toots: Howdy... Don't take offence but..

"I myself can only say that I've known God in the last 3 months."

This is the problem as myself and many others will see it - what you consider "God"... what is it? You see, to say you know "an extremely knowledgable and spiritual being" exists because I've experienced them is fine. To say "I know a being that is omnipotent and omniscient (and all the other qualities God requires) exists because I haved experienced them" is flawed.

If you could prove it, I'd be delighted. I have serious doubts you could.

I realise that you may have faith and the above should not impact on that really. There are many slants you can take on whatever experience you have had. Just realise that faith and truth don't have to coincide.

I'd love for you to tell us of your experience if you're willing, or email me if you're not keen for a public showing, I'll not disect it to try and disprove something, merely read and absorb.

Old 20th August 2000, 10:03     #487
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

What completely eludes a lot of creationists is the sheer time involved.

Think about it this way -

4,560,000 years pass. Two protein cells are sitting next to each other. Another 4 *million* years pass, the cells drift together.... 3 seconds later, they drift apart. Another 4 million years pass and they drift together and stick. Boom, two cells.

The time involved is mind boggling. Humans as we know it have been around for, uhm... under a million years. Only a few hundred thousand at most. The earth is BILLIONS of years old. You think it just sat there as a desolate rock and then BOOM, some big old man said 'hmm, lets make some fungi...' ?

... You cannot sit on the middle ground of creationism vs evolution. Its one or the other. If you were to say 'Oh i believe god planted the seed and we evolved', that goes against the whole theory of evolution and makes it worthless.

Old 20th August 2000, 17:20     #488
necom

Old 20th August 2000, 17:22     #489
necom

Old 20th August 2000, 19:07     #490
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

necom: Yes, as I said... "If you could prove it, I'd be delighted. I have serious doubts you could."

Your point was?

Old 20th August 2000, 19:30     #491
necom

Old 20th August 2000, 19:30     #492
necom

Old 20th August 2000, 19:45     #493
necom

Old 20th August 2000, 19:49     #494
purple+kush

Who cares what way you look at it, evolution is a load of bullsh*t.

No proof what so ever. You know? That missing link thing?

Old 20th August 2000, 20:27     #495
Jingo

I am in constant disbelief that purple+kush could possibly be in a slightly similar gene pool to me.

Right, I'm off to engineer some kind of sterilisation gun. Farewell.

Old 20th August 2000, 20:37     #496
necom

Old 20th August 2000, 20:42     #497
pinky

Old 20th August 2000, 20:55     #498
Endymion

necom - don't bother with PK, he's an ignorant, arrogant fool that just says stupid things because he has nothing better to do.

------------------
Addict.Net - can you resist one more hit?

Old 20th August 2000, 21:56     #499
Body Count
Down but not out!

fuck this has a lot of posts and im not that board so i dont plan on reading every fucken word on every fucken page

all i wanna add is

uhhh forget it

------------------
-=BC=-
Read this

Old 20th August 2000, 22:12     #500
Jingo

This is a filler..

Old 20th August 2000, 22:12     #501
Jingo

Just so I could say,

"I love Endy".

Old 20th August 2000, 23:28     #502
MadMax
Stuff

"MadMax: Ajax already pointed out the height thing - its due to diet, not evolution."

Changes in diet is exactly the sort of thing that causes evolution in a race.

Diet, habbitat, weather, cross breeding... you name it. They are what cause evolution.

------------------
³²ıMANY things are preserved in alcohol, DIGNITY is not one of them!

Old 21st August 2000, 12:37     #503
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Ok, proof of evolution : Bacteria becoming resistant to anitbiotics.

Or is this something else modern medicine makes up?

Old 22nd August 2000, 14:48     #504
necom

Old 22nd August 2000, 19:55     #505
Endymion

We don't have free will, we never have, and we never will.

<a href="http://dog.net.uk/claude/dreams.html">Look</a>.

------------------
Addict.Net - can you resist one more hit?

Old 22nd August 2000, 20:34     #506
necom

Old 22nd August 2000, 20:45     #507
chiQ
Frag-muff

Imagine what highly evolved breasts look like...nah, I can't picture it. They're perfect as they are...I have to say though (as I may have already) that they're a right nuisance when playing pool.

Old 22nd August 2000, 20:50     #508
purple+kush

Well chiQ, I ask with a please that you put foward your examples for closer examination, id be happy to study those issues very closely

Old 23rd August 2000, 00:45     #509
p-b

Free Willy was a cool movie.

Old 23rd August 2000, 03:50     #510
Polarity

This is more for necom than anyone else.

I couldn't find the name of the psychologist that you made reference to in an earlier post, but I do remember reading wired magazine and coming across an article that <a href = "http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/7.11/persinger.html">described what you were talking about.</a>

enjoy.

[This message has been edited by Polarity (edited 23 August 2000).]

Old 23rd August 2000, 12:31     #511
MadMax
Stuff

Now, I don't often read texts like that over the net, but that was one good read (all 5 pages of it).

Old 25th August 2000, 15:39     #512
necom

Old 27th August 2000, 06:54     #513
Boofhead

Haven't visited forum for a couple of weeks... sometimes Real Life sucks...

Your replies were alright boof, sounds like you know your stuff.
So i take it you believe in repentance/forgiveness and you get into heaven by being a 'pure spirit' or something like that. Its not a matter of god forgiving you(hes always forgiving is he not?) but a matter of you being able to forgive yourself ? - that sounds sensible.

I suppose you could imagine it like having everything you do in your life recorded, and having that record examined to see if it 'makes the grade' for entry into heaven. To make it in, the record would have to be holy, or perfect. Since no person has a perfect record except Jesus Christ, God offered a way to get into heaven by exchanging our imperfect record for the perfect record of Jesus. To complete the exchange, you have to 'repent', or turn your life from the 'selfish' path (doing what YOU want) and following God's path (doing what God wants). That's it in a nutshell.

Was the church intended as only a place of worship, and not a money making/law enforcing/destructive thing it turned into (thats the biggest problem i have with christianity, creationism is a distant second, and no problem with the concept of god)?

A Church is people coming together to worship (it can be anywhere). People realised it would be easier to organise it... and I guess it just went downhill from there...

I also like what Mr Toots said
and I would like to say that if you had a "personal encounter" with God, you'd know it was God.

I suppose I should add that only God can 'make' somebody a Christian. I or anybody else can do or say anything but that won't make any difference until God steps in.

Old 27th August 2000, 17:56     #514
Trigger
Laserman

bump

Old 28th August 2000, 18:33     #515
aXe
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think i read somewhere that christianity wasnt the largest religion in the world... perhaps it was budhism? or perhaps no spiritual beliefs... the majority is always sane ya know.

PK how bout i load up Mr. 9mm and let you find out what hell unleashed feels like?

Old 28th August 2000, 18:59     #516
aXe
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

is it possible for a large group of people.. say 50? to commit someone to an asylum, im sure PK would love to join the rest of the raving fanatics

you are the icing on my monday cake.

Old 29th August 2000, 02:19     #517
Master Villain

I don't beleive this. I didn't even read all of this, too much info! I just wanted to read a dirty post. *sulk* Anyways, Arthur C. Clarke said (I think it was him) "Any technology sufficiently advanced must be considered magic" which means anything you don't understand is magic. Run that backwards, and in a rational universe then anything you don't understand (or can't explain) is technology that is very advanced. Since there are people here saying God must pop up and say (In a Mr. Punch voice, cos I said so) "Let there be man!" cos they can't explain evolution, then that is a magical answer to the question. Since magic is the reason for evolution, and we can't explain the magical appearance of man (Because gods workings are SO hard to understand), then it must be HIGHLY advanced technology, which then means god is in fact just a peice of technology (Technology = science for the purpose of Twisted Logic tm.)
Therefore evolution is a scientific process , and god does not exist. If he does then he is a huge block of black matter which tells monkeys to whack other monkeys with sticks.

For those that don't know thats the MONOLITH which is a peice of alien tehcnology.

I jjust killed god. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yes I am bored.

------------------
Leave my damn grenades ALONE!

Old 29th August 2000, 02:30     #518
Yautja

Damn it boof i thought id broken free of this thread .

Anyway I accidentally found out the real reason why we have a 7 day week, so i may as well stoke the fire while im here

Its because there is 7 celestial bodys that are obsevable with the naked eye.
mercury
mars
jupiter
venus
saturn (saturday)
sun (sunday)
moon (monday)

The rest of the days in the english language are named after germanic gods (very similar to the roman ones the planets are named after). Tiw (wargod like mars) , Woden , Thor and freya (love god like venus).

Its more apparent in other european languages (like spanish - lunes, martes , miercoles, jueves , viernes) and thats why sunday is considered holy because people used to worship the sun a long time before chistianity (and chistmas is to do with winter solstice - shortest day of winter)

The planets and stuff were a great deal back then because they were the only way to keep track of time/seasons and for navigation. And at least muslims and jews have their own calendars, chistians just 'borrowed' the roman one (although the pope did fix it in the 16th century to account for leap centurys - making a bit of chaos with protestant and non-christian countrys by missing out 10 days, some of which only changed to it in the last century)

Anyway it must be true because i read it in a book

[This message has been edited by Yautja (edited 29 August 2000).]

Old 29th August 2000, 02:37     #519
Master Villain

I seem to recall an uproar when they took some of the days out of the calendar, either in the Rennaisance or just later... Everyone chucked an absolute fit. Or at least the upwardly mobile peasants who lost some days hehe.

Old 29th August 2000, 03:53     #520
Boofhead

Yautja: muahahah I have you now
I'm sure you know the Biblical explanation for 7 day weeks, but I'll tell you anyway (God worked for 6 days and rested for 1, setting a pattern for us to follow).

Master Villain: If you're willing to believe Arthur C Clarke, why can't you believe the Bible? (it's in a book, it must be true )