Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 27th August 2008, 11:31     #2561
Baal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Oh dear, Tarzan you really, really haven't got an idea of how misleading that is. As promised, I will do a quick write-up on this at some point.

And I wouldn't take your average CAB lawyer's advice on any point that requires some degree of research...
Didn't you rage quit?
Old 27th August 2008, 12:31     #2562
Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Screw that. So I can't take a copy of my kids performances for memories because some dumb fk doesn't want there kid filmed. If I was the studio, I would say, these will be filmed, don't like it, seeya.
Of course, if they are worried about dodgy people filming it, you could limit it to the children's guardians. Or do it themselves.

They usually have a professional in there filming so you can buy it. Its a way the dancing association makes money but its also a control over who gets filmed as well.

I know I could take a camera in there and stand up and be an ass demanding that I can film my own kid and that it is my right, but why would I totally embarress my child like that? There is a time and a place for everything. Humilitating my kid isn't one of them. We sign a waiver saying we wont, as I mentioned earlier, that is a condition of entry. If you don't like the rules then don't enter the comps. If everyone tried to do their own shit and stand up for their rights then chaos would ensue and that is not what they are there for.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:36     #2563
CCS
Stunt Pants

So, really, when you were moaning earlier about how you couldn't film your kid dancing, you weren't all that pissed off about it. You just wanted to post about it so that you could participate in the conversation and feel like you belong? Wouldn't it have been nice if you just didn't say anything.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:45     #2564
Mickey

Err, I wasn't moaning. I was pointing it out that different venues have different rules. Of course it would be awesome to only film your own kid and not have to wade thru all the footage of kids you don't even know or care about.

Plus if I hadn't posted, what on earth would you have done with your time last night? Maybe something constructive?
Old 27th August 2008, 12:50     #2565
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
Err, I wasn't moaning.
So when you said it totally sucks you were actually quite happy with the arrangement? Women, eh. They should just say what they mean.

Quote:
Plus if I hadn't posted, what on earth would you have done with your time last night? Maybe something constructive?
What, like working? Could do, but slacking is more fun.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:54     #2566
Mickey

I suck at the quoting thing but Im pretty sure I covered that in the above post where I mentioned that being able to film your own kid is better than wading thru other kids that you dont know.

Im off shopping now CCS, wanna come and carry my bags? Gotta be better than sitting on here all day.

Last edited by Mickey : 27th August 2008 at 12:55.
Old 27th August 2008, 12:58     #2567
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
I suck at the quoting thing but Im pretty sure I covered that in the above post where I mentioned that being able to film your own kid is better than wading thru other kids that you dont know.
Couldn't you have just said that in the first place instead of getting all PMS with your "IT'S BEING A ADULT" crap?

Quote:
Im off shopping now CCS, wanna come and carry my bags? Gotta be better than sitting on here all day.
You have no idea how much I'd like to do that. Really. But I'm expected to be somewhere, so I'd better take a raincheck on that.

Hey... don't you have a job to go to?
Old 27th August 2008, 13:01     #2568
Mickey

I took the day off. Home alone for the week (other family members are skiing)and thanks to eff tee's suggestion last night I decided to have a shopping day.
Old 27th August 2008, 13:06     #2569
cEvin
Love In Vein

groan
Old 27th August 2008, 13:07     #2570
ZoSo

^ He's loving it.
Old 27th August 2008, 13:11     #2571
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
I took the day off. Home alone for the week (other family members are skiing)and thanks to eff tee's suggestion last night I decided to have a shopping day.
Cool. Just abandon your obligations to spend your husband's money. I hope you get some really nice shoes!
Old 27th August 2008, 14:11     #2572
blynk

Quote:
They usually have a professional in there filming so you can buy it. Its a way the dancing association makes money but its also a control over who gets filmed as well.
But by whoever posted before point (maybe it was you??) as soon as someone says, no don't film my kid, that screws up most of the ability to film it.
More so when there are a number of kids at once (sure its fine if there is 1 kid at a time)
Old 27th August 2008, 14:31     #2573
flic
Dee Hast Mish

Which just means less videos vying for $100k on AFV

Poor kids will grow up wondering if they ever did perform on stage. They can kinda remember doing it, but there's no pics !

No pics of them assing off the stage, pulling up their skirt, vomiting/sneezing on other kids, forgetting lines and crying

Yknow, all the stuff you actually take the time actually filming it for.

Sure you could buy the produced video from the school, but all the good stuff is probably cut out and they don't do an outtakes section on the DVD.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:54     #2574
blynk

Exactly, what can you use for their 21st to embarass them in front of their peers.
Old 27th August 2008, 16:45     #2575
Lightspeed

Brains.
Old 27th August 2008, 17:14     #2576
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

got a response (FWIW) from CAB:
Quote:
Thank you for your enquiry.

We have researched this for you, and have found the following:
- In principle, it appears that people have a general right in NZ to take photos in public spaces
- However, the place taken / subject may amount to an infringement of the law in particular circumstances (e.g. if it invades someone's privacy, if it infringes copyright, etc)

There is an online publication that may provide some guidance to you. It is 'The Clendon Feeney Guide to NZ Law Relating to Photography' and it can be found at http://www.aipa.org.nz/archive/clend..._copyright.pdf. You could also approach the NZ Institute of Professional Photography.

We hope this is helpful.
Old 27th August 2008, 17:36     #2577
CCS
Stunt Pants

............................................ WAWA WEEWAAA!!
Old 27th August 2008, 17:58     #2578
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
BBBBBBBRRRAAAIHHHNNNNNZSSSSSZZ.
You, uh, feeling alright?

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 27th August 2008, 18:02     #2579
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
got a response (FWIW) from CAB:
From what I can see, the only way that taking a photo in public property would be considered illegal, is if it was used to humiliate or defame them in any way.

The act of taking the photos isn't at all illegal, it's only in using the produced photo.
Old 27th August 2008, 18:11     #2580
Jonas Undrawing

hah. I'm eating organic almonds and thinking to myself: "Damn, these taste like... almonds." The flavour is so strong it's like those dutch short-cakes with almond essense, except it's almonds!
Old 27th August 2008, 18:19     #2581
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
From what I can see, the only way that taking a photo in public property would be considered illegal, is if it was used to humiliate or defame them in any way.

The act of taking the photos isn't at all illegal, it's only in using the produced photo.
You might want to have a read of the link Ab posted.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 27th August 2008, 18:53     #2582
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

the link they gave me focuses very heavily on copyright.... rather than your rights in public.....

still, cyc should come thru with some good stuff(tm)

plus their suggestion regarding NZ Institute of Professional Photography might be worthwhile..... (mind you, pros might tell me to fuck off, bunch of whiney bitches)
Old 27th August 2008, 19:05     #2583
tarzan007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Oh dear, Tarzan you really, really haven't got an idea of how misleading that is. As promised, I will do a quick write-up on this at some point.

And I wouldn't take your average CAB lawyer's advice on any point that requires some degree of research...
well its what I was taught while studying, so I would expect at least 50% of the media in NZ are breaking the law without knowing it...
Old 27th August 2008, 23:06     #2584
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Mickey - you're not in Aussie are you?

found a great article re your issue if you are:
Quote:
Bans at swimming carnivals, school plays or eisteddfods

Many school and children groups prohibit all photography, even by parents (eg. the 2006 Coffs Harbour Eisteddfod photo ban). Do organisations have any right to do this?

If the performance is on private land, then yes they do — see the discussion above about property owner rights. This also applies to schools and council-owned facilities, as strictly speaking they are not "public land" even if they are publicly owned (ie. not freely accessible to everyone like a street or park or beach). See the NSW Inclosed Lands Protection Act 1901 and also the discussion at "Sports Photography Legal Issues".

Organisations may claim they wish to "protect" children, but the issue here is that people can prohibit almost anything they like on land they control. If however the event is held on property not owned or controlled by the organisers, then you are free to photograph as much as you like — subject of course to other issues discussed on this page. To put it bluntly, there is no person in Australia who can legally prevent you from taking non-indecent photographs of your own children on public land!

Some organisers try to restrict performance photography due to "copyright reasons". This is a misunderstanding of IP law, for you cannot infringe the copyright of a "dramatic work" by merely taking still photographs (see discussion below). You have to take extensive video footage of a substantial part of the performance for infringement to occur (see the "Choreography G072" information sheet on the ACC website.) This is incredibly unlikely if daddy only wants a couple of shots of Tiffany's solo!

Let's be honest though, many of these bans are rent-seeking in disguise. Organisers try to prevent people from taking photographs by claiming "Child Protection Issues". Yet a visual record of the event is still required, so they hire their own photographers. Now guess who pockets the sales of these official videos and prints?…

Then there is the vexed issue of sporting clubs trying to prevent parents from photographing their own children during Saturday morning games. For example in 2007 the Australian Sports Commission released an "Acquiring and Displaying Images of Children" information sheet regarding photographs of children at sporting carnivals. Although an interesting read, their recommendations were not legally enforceable. What made the ASC Guidelines noteworthy however was that Soccer NSW adopted them as policy for a few weeks in 2007…
(from here)
Old 27th August 2008, 23:09     #2585
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
the link they gave me focuses very heavily on copyright.... rather than your rights in public.....

still, cyc should come thru with some good stuff(tm)

plus their suggestion regarding NZ Institute of Professional Photography might be worthwhile..... (mind you, pros might tell me to fuck off, bunch of whiney bitches)
I will have to come through tomorrow - just finished a 14 hour work day. The CAB response wasn't too bad but it really could do with a lot more details.
Old 27th August 2008, 23:53     #2586
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

no worries... when you are ready
Old 28th August 2008, 00:44     #2587
Diirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
You might want to have a read of the link Ab posted.
To be fair, the guy in that wasn't arrested for taking photographs per se... he was arrested for 'offensive behaviour' (due to the manner in which the photographs were taken).

If he hadn't hidden himself in his car and he made sure to take a couple of photos of trees as well as all the schoolgirl shots, he might not have gotten convicted.
Old 28th August 2008, 08:25     #2588
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

reading articles from around the whole, it's a very interesting subject
it just can be difficult (for me at least) to wade through the legal terms and phrases and the way they word stuff....
Old 28th August 2008, 09:55     #2589
Draco T Bastard

Went to bed earlyish last night (~23:00) and then woke up @ 03:00. Now I feel like death warmed up.

So much for getting a good nights sleep
Old 28th August 2008, 10:09     #2590
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

I too am finding it hard to sleep as of late. Bed at 10.30. Wake up at 3. Stay awake till 7
Old 28th August 2008, 10:33     #2591
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

the guys who just played on breakfast this morning are rather good - www.cattlestops.com - jazzy country western styles. nice double bass and guitar work. from new zealand too.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:38     #2592
flic
Dee Hast Mish

10 days until we leave for a month long holiday.
Old 28th August 2008, 10:44     #2593
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
the guys who just played on breakfast this morning are rather good - www.cattlestops.com - jazzy country western styles. nice double bass and guitar work. from new zealand too.
Agreed, had the tv on as background noise and immediately paid attn when I heard them play. There was a nice female country singer on yesterday too (apparently ex NZ Idol?)
Old 28th August 2008, 12:07     #2594
Cyberbob

Hrmm.. are there any words in the english language with a silent letter at the end of the word?
Old 28th August 2008, 12:14     #2595
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Hrmm.. are there any words in the english language with a silent letter at the end of the word?
Comb? Lamb?
Old 28th August 2008, 12:23     #2596
flic
Dee Hast Mish

Silent E !

tub
tube

cub
cube

hat
hate

etc etc
Old 28th August 2008, 12:34     #2597
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by flic
Silent E !

tub
tube

cub
cube

hat
hate

etc etc
I wouldn't call them silent as such, as they all affect how the word is pronounced. All it does is elongate the previous vowel (which is a pretty fucking retarded way of pointing that out, stupid english) but it's taken into account when pronouncing the word.

Lamb/Lam = silent b
Old 28th August 2008, 13:24     #2598
Nightcrawler

Why would 1day.co.nz have their maintenance occur during the time where they have the largest influx of visitors? (midday)
Old 28th August 2008, 13:28     #2599
cEvin
Love In Vein

because thats a generic message which means they're under heavy load?
Old 28th August 2008, 13:45     #2600
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Why would 1day.co.nz have their maintenance occur during the time where they have the largest influx of visitors? (midday)
I got on within 5 seconds of the products being updated and the Snowboard was already sold out.
I was very impressed at the number of people who could buy them that quickly.