Old 31st December 2010, 11:48     #561
crocos

Awesome, thanks!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 31st December 2010, 13:58     #562
PsyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
Digging a huge pit straight down (useful for a source of raw materials) and haven't yet hit any caves... finally got some iron - not a lot though, it's so depressing when you finally get some, smelt it, and then your iron pick wears down so quickly after all that hard work :/ then you see some of the other players building massive railway networks! HTF did they get so much iron!?!
There are tricks for getting resources fast. The best one is to scout for caves. It's more dangerous but the rewards are huge normally. Easily the best source of iron (and diamonds if it goes as low as lava pools, got 7 just yesterday). If you haven't found a cave and you only need to look for surface level ones then try the following mining technique: Do the simplest stairway possible down to the bottom of the map (bedrock) then every second step do a straight shaft. It's like the most efficient method for uncovering all surrounding blocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Example
Side-on view of mining technique

OOSXO
OXOSO
SXOOS
OSOXO
OOSXO
OXOSO

O = visible block, X = shaft passage, S = visible block that is also a staircase
Try this method between 10 and 20 levels above the bedrock you encountered. I normally just keep going on each shaft(X) till I hit lava/cave/finish off 5 stone picks.

Last edited by PsyK : 31st December 2010 at 14:00.
Old 31st December 2010, 15:11     #563
*seldom

Exclamation

Or, come and get free iron tools from my giveaway chest on the platform outside my place. (cowcaddens)
Old 31st December 2010, 16:37     #564
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

I was showing minecraft to Dad while I was up in HBay... and stupidly said "Watch me take on that spider"... while not spotting the other two!! So I was able to demonstrate what happens when you die.....

Fortunately, as you know my home is close to the spawn point... so I got myself back to there, and Dad said "What happens next?", and I said "I need to get back out there to pick up my inventory again" (spiders still around, and it was night time, so there were a few other creepy crawlies out and about too).

But while waiting to make a dash for my things, Minecraft crashed - well, javaw.exe crashed and I couldn't get it going again (didn't reboot - cbf'd)

So I left it until I got back to Welly - logged back on, no stuff, and very little in my chest... that's when I spotted the free stuff giveaway courtesy of cowcadden.... so a big CHEERS to *seldom... I've put a few other things in there as well... I wonder if it is worth sign-posting from the spawn spot...

What do you really need on Day 1? Coal, wood, and a few tools (pick+spade+axe)

(TL;DR version: Thanks, *seldom )
Old 1st January 2011, 11:36     #565
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

I was desperate for coal - so took 1/4 a stack from cowcadden.... have put 4-6 food back in its place though.....

thinking of making a bridge from my place to cow's...

Finding lots of redstone in my pit, but very little else (finally hit bedrock).

been having a bit more of a wander - some seriously great work being done, especially for a non-creative server
Old 1st January 2011, 13:35     #566
crocos

Hmm... May have to try this PvE kick.

Old 1st January 2011, 14:06     #567
crocos

Hearing something that sounds like a xylophone on crack, and something else that's hissing like a short burst from an over-pressurised soda bottle: Am I right in assuming Skeleton & Spider respectively?

Old 1st January 2011, 14:17     #568
Electric-Zeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Hearing something that sounds like a xylophone on crack, and something else that's hissing like a short burst from an over-pressurised soda bottle: Am I right in assuming Skeleton & Spider respectively?
Yup that sounds about right. Unless the hissing was followed by an explosion, in which case you'd be facing a creeper
Old 1st January 2011, 18:56     #569
PsyK

PvE is where it's at, makes everything so rewarding.
Old 2nd January 2011, 21:13     #570
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

fuck, I had a bad run earlier today - got within 1/2 a heart of dying from drowning; got caught in some flowing water+skelly cage+waterfall trap - just survived; got lost underground so that I had to dig a staircase straight up and out - just made it with my last pickaxe; mobs weren't dropping anything ('cept skellies, but I don't sulphur atm); my armour is fucked from almost drowning, so I need to farm leather or iron

bah!!
Old 4th January 2011, 10:27     #571
verve_rat

I've found a massive cave system on the WMS server. Spent the last two days exploring and getting lost. I've started laying out a path for a minecart tour around the place.

But while I was down there I was messing about with some waterfalls to expand the obsidian field and didn't see TB's sign until I was on my out. So sorry if I messed up any plans, but I think the cave system is big enough for us to carry on.

And does anyone know of a way to mine obsidian that is sitting on top of lava? I can't work out a way to infill from the sides, ideas?
Old 4th January 2011, 10:54     #572
crocos

Infill from the sides is the only way I've been able to figure; You need to yse the shift key so you're actually hovering over the lava (as if making a sky-road or something), then fill (with dirt or cobblestone) until it's stable to mine - try to make at least a 1-block depth beneath the mining-face.

Occasionally you will find out you need to mine around the lava as there are no abutting blocks to the ore/obsidian you're wanting to mine - you'll need to infill from somewhere nearby back to your ore.

Of course this fucks that up as lava source-blocks, so you might want a bucket or two to move the lava if you want to keep it - remove each source-block, then dirt-fill the flowing lava that's filling into it from any nearby other source-blocks.

Last edited by crocos : 4th January 2011 at 10:56.
Old 4th January 2011, 10:59     #573
crocos

Hey Sam: Is there a way of enabling /playerlist and /msg on the WMS server without necessarily enabling /warp or /home etc? It's be cool to be able to see who's on.

Thanks

Old 4th January 2011, 11:02     #574
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
...need to yse the shift key...
press the shift key. WTF is a 'yse'?

Old 4th January 2011, 11:43     #575
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve_rat
I've found a massive cave system on the WMS server. Spent the last two days exploring and getting lost. I've started laying out a path for a minecart tour around the place.

But while I was down there I was messing about with some waterfalls to expand the obsidian field and didn't see TB's sign until I was on my out. So sorry if I messed up any plans, but I think the cave system is big enough for us to carry on.

And does anyone know of a way to mine obsidian that is sitting on top of lava? I can't work out a way to infill from the sides, ideas?
I found that place early on and we've been mining supplies out there from a hidden staircase for sometime You were in there the other day and we went into sneak mode while we mined to get as much as we could without you seeing hehehe

Take a bucket, and put a lava source block into hole in the ground. (I tend to make a chess board style layout). When all the blocks are filled, pour a bucks worth of water over it and itll make obsidian in a safe place to mine.
Old 4th January 2011, 12:38     #576
IceFox

Whats the IP for the survival server?
Old 4th January 2011, 13:00     #577
Sam

minecraft.wheresmyserver.net.nz

And yes, I can add hMod but not enable all the extra stuff we have on the creative server, but I'm away with very limited net access for a few days. Will do so when I get back.
Old 4th January 2011, 13:03     #578
verve_rat

minecraft.wheresmyserver.net.nz
Old 4th January 2011, 13:42     #579
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
And yes, I can add hMod but not enable all the extra stuff we have on the creative server, but I'm away with very limited net access for a few days. Will do so when I get back.
Legend

Old 4th January 2011, 15:31     #580
TB

Large new mc patch next week with the water mob, among other things.
Old 4th January 2011, 17:12     #581
BoyWonder

Awesome I really hope it is something a bit more interactive (and hostile) than just fish
Old 5th January 2011, 17:48     #582
PsyK

Sounds cool, of course knowing notch the volume of content will be reduced when the patch is actually released.

And leaf decay will stop working :P
Old 6th January 2011, 11:00     #583
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

just read a review of Lego Universe - sounds like minecraft with better graphics, a slight MMO feel, and worst of all - pay-to-play .... sorry Lego, I think I'll stick with Minecraft
Old 6th January 2011, 11:56     #584
p01s0n

paying for a service? EUGH! no thanks!!!
Old 7th January 2011, 04:04     #585
TB

Musics coming to minecraft.
Old 8th January 2011, 20:34     #586
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB
Musics coming to minecraft.
Minecraft has music so, please clarify :O
Old 9th January 2011, 10:27     #587
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Minecraft has music so, please clarify :O
The next minecraft with luck will have music blocks. Im guessing they'll be craftable blocks which make a tone when force or electricity is applied.
Old 9th January 2011, 20:36     #588
PsyK

Wow, giant piano systems etc, sweet!
Old 10th January 2011, 08:17     #589
*seldom

Exclamation manufacturing

For those playing on the WMS server, you may have noticed (if you are near spawn) that I have lovingly constructed a giant trap - by the painstaking placement of about 15000 blocks - to produce mob drops.

The current rate of drops is pretty decent. Simply stand in the collection point, go off and make a cup of tea, and then come back to discover a few full stacks of stuff in your inventory.

Feel free to make use of this resource.
Old 10th January 2011, 09:37     #590
TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyK
Wow, giant piano systems etc, sweet!
Im guessing a doorbell will be the size of a 747, so maybe not
Old 10th January 2011, 12:09     #591
PsyK

so my piano can be 50 747's!
Old 10th January 2011, 23:38     #592
Sam

Dropped in today, having been away for ages... jeez you lot have been busy.

Have done a new render: http://minecraft.wheresmyserver.net.nz
Old 11th January 2011, 10:36     #593
TB

Updates due on Thursday, complete with cake. You will also be able to download unstable builds soon.
Old 12th January 2011, 17:31     #594
TB

Remember peeps, new update tomorrow. Changes include, music blocks, cake, bamboo becomes sugarcane and cake
Old 12th January 2011, 18:00     #595
BoyWonder

What next, Smurfs and bunnies? Zombies become your friends and you can have tea parties... with cake?
Old 12th January 2011, 18:17     #596
crocos

I'm pretty sure the cake is ...

Old 12th January 2011, 18:22     #597
BoyWonder

Cryptic?
Old 12th January 2011, 18:36     #598
Farmer Joe
Word To Your Motherboard!

I haven't tried out minecraft but I spotted this illustrated guide the other day: http://kotaku.com/5723821/the-illust...e-to-minecraft
Old 12th January 2011, 18:36     #599
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
Cryptic?
A lie.

Either that or it's delicious and moist.

LRN2Portal - especially given the Portal Minecraft mod

Old 12th January 2011, 18:48     #600
BoyWonder

If the cake could grow tentacles, start flying around and spitting fireballs that would be great.